• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomba13

Teknoman said:
I wonder what the texture settings are locked at for the beta client...

EDIT: What was that about finding other classes that havent been revealed yet in the beta dat files? Was it possible to do something like that in XI before a major expansion released?
classes.jpg

List of classes found in the .dats. Might be there at release, might be after release, might be at first expansion. I really want to see what Mystic is and want to be a Musketeer.

Chris R

Khrno said:
You can move the chat, HP/MP/TP bar, radar, S/R, and target bar around.

You cannot move the 4 shortcut icons (which I found irrelevant and annoying to be there) on the bottom-right corner.

You cannot move the action bar, or at least I couldn't move it and it overlapped with my chat placement.

I didn't take any screenshot while fighting, weird enough, so missing the action and stamina bar in there, those 2 should be moveable as well.

Well that is some good some bad news. Hopefully by launch everything will be customizable. Can you split the chat/battle boxes and filter them however you please yet?

LaneDS said:
ATI graphics are improved considerably. Performance isn't great but now it's gone from unplayable on an HD5770 in crowded areas to passable. With time it'll get to where it should be, or close to it, I'm sure.
Agreed, the frame rate was much improved in town on my HD5870, dropping as low as 18 in heavily crowed areas, but overall staying above 20. Before the frame rate would drop into single digits in town.

Outside of town, I had a rock solid 30 fps.

Teknoman

Zomba13 said:
classes.jpg

List of classes found in the .dats. Might be there at release, might be after release, might be at first expansion. I really want to see what Mystic is and want to be a Musketeer.

What about the classes with lines drawn through them?

Just a few thoughts, outside of the usual "fix the controls omg" stuff I'm usually going on about:

They really need to make every element movable and resizeable. Why can't I move the action bar and those 4 little icons? Why can't I move HP/MP/TP individually? I can get used to anything, but I'd much prefer to have HP/MP/TP stacked vertically in the lower right, with the chat box stretching across most of the bottom of the screen a la FFXI, with the action bar above the chat box. I hate how when you get huge blocks of text it is completely ruined because pf the tiny chat box.

Also give me a way to access everything without touching the mouse, since the controls at this point aren't exactly built for touching the mouse. Hate having to do that just to do an emote. I understand /commands are old fashioned, but would it hurt to at least have the option in there for those of us who want them? :/

On that note, there are a few things in this game that feel like a step back from FFXI just because they're trying to appeal to a wider (read: more casual) audience. The problem is a clickable menu that you have to open is not really that intuitive either.

One more thing that is a definite step back is: why can't we highlight item names in green when they drop? The whole loot pool business is something I can deal with, though it's obviously a useless and cumbersome step when you're playing solo. However I'd at least like that gratifying bright green from FFXI back. The way things are right now I barely pay attention to items I get, and that sucks.

The game now runs very smooth on my mid range laptop. 30 fps 99% of the time. I'm extremely happy about this. :D

Khrno

rhfb said:
Well that is some good some bad news. Hopefully by launch everything will be customizable. Can you split the chat/battle boxes and filter them however you please yet?

I actually didn't try messing around with the chat box besides resizing it, but there were 2 tabs, General and Battle. In General you'd have pretty much everything besides whatever you filtered out in the Menu>Configuration. Probably more tabs can be added for Party chat, etc.

HappyBivouac said:
Also give me a way to access everything without touching the mouse, since the controls at this point aren't exactly built for touching the mouse. Hate having to do that just to do an emote. I understand /commands are old fashioned, but would it hurt to at least have the option in there for those of us who want them? :/

On that note, there are a few things in this game that feel like a step back from FFXI just because they're trying to appeal to a wider (read: more casual) audience. The problem is a clickable menu that you have to open is not really that intuitive either.

I agree with that. All those menus with selectable options weren't optimized for keyboard only. The mouse sucks for everything, even for clicking on menus, and the keyboard doesn't work as intuitive and smooth as in FFXI when navigating between menus and windows. What's with the lack of shortcuts too? Where're my Ctrl+E and Ctrl+I?

Oh and something else I gave my feedback on was the enemies' names, they just change colours when you or your party have them claimed, but they don't when someone else does, so it's annoying not being able to see from a distance what mobs are unclaimed or not. Different dots colours in the radar would help to differenciate PCs with mobs too.

Zomba13

Teknoman said:
What about the classes with lines drawn through them?
Speculation going by some weapon types of bits of info in the .dats. The ones there are referenced multiple times and have tools/weapons and stuff so are most likely the first classes to be ready.
Theres speculation that Mystic might be Mystic Knight and use 'Precious Swords' (a weapon type in the .dats) If Mystic is Mystic Knight and uses en-spells and the likes I'm most likely going to main it. Fencer supposedly uses Rapiers and off hand rapiers and enforcer clubs, truncheons and big shields, they seem to be FFXIV riot police from the sounds of things.

From Bluegartr btw.

I am quite surprised at the lack of mobs in the starting area. I understand its over populated with players, but the huge area does seem rather empty.

Khrno

Classic_Gs said:
I am quite surprised at the lack of mobs in the starting area. I understand its over populated with players, but the huge area does seem rather empty.

Indeed, there was basically a single camp to start leveling up, and way too many sheeps around, and if they are anything like those in Ronfaure, nobody will bother with them.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Stuck in loading screen again.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh, I just tried it a couple of hours ago and it worked so I thought something was wrong from my part :/

Rocwell

Zomba13 said:
My very bad and badly put together monster collection pic. (Big drake thing is a Strom Biast, really cool looking)
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffxiv/monstermontagecopy.png
Man, I almost pissed myself when I crossed some bridge and found one of those bigass salamanders waiting for me on the other end. I haven't encountered any aggressive monsters yet in the beta but I sure as hell wasn't going to hang around and find out with that thing. :lol

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Rocwell said:
Man, I almost pissed myself when I crossed some bridge and found one of those bigass salamanders waiting for me on the other end. I haven't encountered any aggressive monsters yet in the beta but I sure as hell wasn't going to hang around and find out with that thing. :lol

The spiders aggro. :)

Anyway, after an intensive play yesterday, solo and party, i see ridiculous the MP regen, after like 7 hours I went from conjurer 5 to 10, after that i receive a skill named "Radiance" 1000 TP it does good damage to blue/yellow mobs (90-100) and return MP, but... the max it returned to me was 4 MP, and when your abilities cost between 10-12 MP you need 3-4 Radiances to cast any of the spells.

After that i switch to my PUG rank2, 30 Min after I was PUG Rank 6 and servers near to close, so i switch again to my CONJ to make the second part of the Class Quest, all i need to say... amazing.

legend1.png

My opinion after reading beta site feedback, and my own opinion, this game need MP regen for mages, and a better skillup, is really slow compared to any melee class.

Also tried a few crafts. Love it, an involved system and with a mini game. Didn't take any screenshots :(

And this is the progression of my char. If this don't change for release i think i will pass on mage class. :(

progress.png

Jinko

rhfb said:
Nice video. What rig/settings are you using to get the constant 30fps? Also is there any form of UI customization in the game yet?

Radeon 4870, CPU is Q6600 at 2.4 ghz, 6 GB's memory.

Zomba13

Yeah there really needs to be a better way to get mp back. I understand it could be seen as more valuable than HP (because it can heal, buff, damage and enfeeble) but we shouldn't have to go back to a crystal to get it back or use a potion. I mean the melee classes get their HP back from putting away their weapons. Why can't mages get their MP back that way? They could make it a mage only thing or something or make it trait. Tranquility (and the Thaum one) are good at getting some MP back but 30 mins recast is too much.

Either let Mages replenish MP like HP (at a slower rate or something) or lower the recast on the MP refill abilities.

Jinko

Khrno said:
Indeed, there was basically a single camp to start leveling up, and way too many sheeps around, and if they are anything like those in Ronfaure, nobody will bother with them.

You can't fight sheep solo as they will run away and attack you from a distance, you need at least someone to tank them and a couple ranged to dps them down, plus they hit like a truck even at rank 14.

As for shortcut keys (CTRL+I etc), I expect that to be added in the next major patch, its in the notes anyway.

Zomba13

day21.png

Locked gate to this place

day25.png

day24.png

Some form of airship boarding platform? There seems to be a few of these scattered around the beta area. I'd say either to travel from one stop to the other (to save on your Aether travel stuff) or for an event or something. I mean a big airship dock would most likely be in the city, not the outskirts.

Will update when the others are up.

EDIT:
ffxivgame2010-07-2409-42-43-51.jpg

Another locked gate to a small town/settlement

ffxivgame2010-07-2407-19-38-09.jpg

Mysterious well! Only one I've seen in all of the beta so far.

ffxivgame2010-07-2416-54-07-09.jpg

Underground area.

EDIT2: http://s906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffxiv/ More there. all up now.

Kuraine

Neo Member
Jinko said:
You can't fight sheep solo as they will run away and attack you from a distance, you need at least someone to tank them and a couple ranged to dps them down, plus they hit like a truck even at rank 14.

You mean the Aldgoats right? Because the actual sheep (little puffball Lost Ewes) are pushovers :D

Gromph

Staff Member
Kuraine said:
You mean the Aldgoats right? Because the actual sheep (little puffball Lost Ewes) are pushovers :D

Lost Ewes are fine to solo level from 2 to 8-9 :)

Burli

Pringo
Some thoughts on the beta.

Obviously controls are a big issue, but everyone has already claimed that.

Things like in FFXI, where you could press CTRL-T and it would bring up the name of the last personal to /tell you, you could also cycle through - this more than ever is so important with the double names, but I have faith in them to provide it in the final game.

Also other shortcuts, such as in FFXI /ta name - would allow you to target NPC's, players and Objects without having to cycle through everything else on the screen, or wait for them to load. Also inviting people to a party seems so confusing in this game. It just seems odd to be stepping backwards.

Mixed thoughts on the battle-system. For instance the fact that my battle bar (name?) was overlapping my HP, MP and TP - Although I was unaware that you could move them, however if you want a good sized horizontal chat window, it will still provide the same problem. I quite like the system, timing your attacks in-tune with your stamina, however if the connection was anything below green, it didn't work - which seems like a pretty massive flaw to me - basing an entire games battle system on stamina when you can't utilise it.

Also, I played FFXI for 3 years - Imagining that I had to press a button every time I wanted to do a normal attack seems pretty crazy, which is essentially what you do in this game. Don't understand the stacking thing, I should read up on it, but I still expect tutorials for things like this in-game - they need to make the game as accessible to people at the start as possible, otherwise they'll get scared off by complexity too early on.

However, I can really imagine this battle system becoming something special if they pull it off, looking forward to seeing what they do with it - and also learning how the hell it all works.

The levelling thing is kind of more complex, having a class rank and a physical level is an interesting idea, not sure how it works yet but I seem to be oblivious to how everything works really so better do some learning.

Animation and visuals are great, in a game you play for months - this needs to be good. Love the running/battle/cut scene animations, also love the designs of all the mobs.

Equipment looks really nice and customisable, lots of slots. Inventory looks well organised, with different sections for different items. Levequests look interesting, just as long as they become deeper than 'kill 2 of these' or 'kill 5 of them'.

Death - how does this work? In FFXI, you die - have the choice to go to your home point instantly, or wait for a raise with an hours limit. In this beta you die, lie there with nothing in terms of an instruction, eyes wide open and blinking, staring into space.

Teknoman

Everythings in the main menu this time. You have to open the main menu and choose return. I guess the last Aetheryte used = homepoint. Physical level/rank is just to raise stats, Profession level/rank is skilling up with a certain weapon.

Kuro268

Neo Member
Corran Horn: What settings are you using to encode your videos? If you don't mind my asking. Seems a lot closer to actual gameplay graphics than the videos I have. :O

As for this last test... Absolutely great. Got home from work, logged in no problem. I heard there were some issues at the start, which is to be expected. Once I was in I stayed logged in for a solid 9 hours before my first D/C. Part of me was hoping they would get ballsy and say "Ok guys... 24/7 Beta starts immediately". I don't think it's too far off though... I'd say like another week or two of scheduled test phases.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Kuro268 said:
Corran Horn: What settings are you using to encode your videos? If you don't mind my asking. Seems a lot closer to actual gameplay graphics than the videos I have. :O
FRAPs to record, then I encode with:
H.264 - 720p - 30fps - 12000kbps - .mp4
Total Video Converter program to encode and merge the videos into one file.

Teknoman

If that whip class gets implemented, I guess it'll be some sort of pet class? Usually Summoners or Beastmasters used them...but either way you'll see alot of people with the last name Belmont.

carlo6529

Can anyone tell me how the stat points work? Are they irreversable? I'm more interested in particular of the elemental stats.

Is it possible to max out all the elemental stats? Or can they be changed on the fly?

Kuro268

Neo Member
Corran Horn said:
FRAPs to record, then I encode with:
H.264 - 720p - 30fps - 12000kbps - .mp4
Total Video Converter program to encode and merge the videos into one file.

Thank you. Gonna give this a try.

LowParry

Mystic Theurge said:
So do mages suck? I heard you couldn't regain MP.

For now, yes. Plus there's the fact that you don't gain exp through your magic use to your class specific. You'll just get the physical experience total.

LowParry

Unknown. Seeing that they may have their server lag in check, they can now turn to do other changes. Not sure what we'll see of them from now till release.

Gromph

Staff Member
CcrooK said:
For now, yes. Plus there's the fact that you don't gain exp through your magic use to your class specific. You'll just get the physical experience total.

Yo gain skills using magic, but is a bit rare with self cast spells like cure/stoneskin/shock spikes.

Teknoman

CcrooK said:

You sure? Zomba ended up gaining Gladiator sword skills when he hit something with magic while having a sword equipped during our first party. As far as reassigning skill points goes, you can only reassign the last points set it seems.

Interested in the "attack times" weapon stat. I'm guessing its possible for other weapons aside from pugilist stuff, to enable normal attack skills to count as more than one attack ( say light slash making your character slash twice in one attack).

LowParry

Teknoman said:
You sure? Zomba ended up gaining Gladiator sword skills when he hit something with magic while having a sword equipped during our first party. As far as reassigning skill points goes, you can only reassign the last points set it seems.

Interested in the "attack times" weapon stat. I'm guessing its possible for other weapons aside from pugilist stuff, to enable normal attack skills to count as more than one attack ( say light slash making your character slash twice in one attack).

So you're saying, if I use fire, blizzard, thunder, ect., I'll gain class specific exp? I don't recall it ever giving me exp with those types of spell. Only one that would was the magic dart attack or whatever.

Zomba13

CcrooK said:
So you're saying, if I use fire, blizzard, thunder, ect., I'll gain class specific exp? I don't recall it ever giving me exp with those types of spell. Only one that would was the magic dart attack or whatever.
As Conj I gained Conj skill points by defeating enemies with both spell only (fire etc) and Spirit Dart only (the basic attack)
I also gained Glad skill while playing as a glad and using a combination or slash/stab and fire magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom