• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

CcrooK said:
So you're saying, if I use fire, blizzard, thunder, ect., I'll gain class specific exp? I don't recall it ever giving me exp with those types of spell. Only one that would was the magic dart attack or whatever.

Well i'm not sure if it was a glitch or not, but I remember Zomba making a comment about getting sword skill points when he hit something with a spell, so i'm guessing thats supposed to be the case...even though it doesnt make sense.

Burli

Pringo
Teknoman said:
Everythings in the main menu this time. You have to open the main menu and choose return. I guess the last Aetheryte used = homepoint. Physical level/rank is just to raise stats, Profession level/rank is skilling up with a certain weapon.

Ah I see, was in a bit of a rush so just logged out while dead - nice that you can do that now at least.

The big menu feels a bit obnoxious compared to say, the one in FFXI. It takes up a lot of the screen needlessly, not sure if all of this is just me being hostile towards change but I think after 5 years, FFXI got all these things pretty much nailed.

LowParry

Teknoman said:
Well i'm not sure if it was a glitch or not, but I remember Zomba making a comment about getting sword skill points when he hit something with a spell, so i'm guessing thats supposed to be the case...even though it doesnt make sense.

I'll play around with it next play time. I think I may go caster though if they don't fix the MP gain, then I'm going Glad.

Teknoman

Looks like tanking with gladiator wont be a case of hold hate all the time if you have a pugilist with you. Most of it's hard hitting moves require the player to evade an attack before using.

Teknoman

Hopefully it'll be more of a trade hate volleying kind of thing. Looking at the abilities on wiki again, it seems like Gladiator, Pugilist, or Marauder could work as a tank. All 3 have enmity generating abilities and defensive abilities.

Thinking about (in retail anyway) leveling Marauder as well, at least to have access to defender and disorient (throwing dust in someones face sounds like a gladiator). More of a violent tank than Paladin.

Glad that most of the jobs so far seem to have multiple uses...and heres hoping the community does start walling them into cookie cutter builds or completely turning against a job type.

Teknoman

Banish and Scourge seemed to hit pretty hard, unless you're talking about something other than magic damage. Either way, post as many reports as you can.

Teknoman

I guess I need to start thinking about XIV in terms of group vs group combat. That jellyfish attack leve proved that multiple tanks will probably be necessary and groups will need to change placement/ tactics on the fly. So maybe every job will have a place at all times?

Wishful thinking maybe, but it seems like this is how things will play out post level 10.

Caj814

Is this an emote or is this what happens when you stand around afk? :lol
5z1mvt.jpg

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
CcrooK Quoting myself i think you guys missed my post.

Gromph said:
You gain skills using magic, but is a bit rare with self cast spells like cure/stoneskin/shock spikes.

Also you gain skill with dmg spells like fire/thunder/etc...

The Selfcast spells give like 100-150 Conjurer skillpoints like 1/10.
The Damage spells give random skillpoints like 4/10.

LowParry

Gromph said:
CcrooK Quoting myself i think you guys missed my post.

Also you gain skill with dmg spells like fire/thunder/etc...

The Selfcast spells give like 100-150 Conjurer skillpoints like 1/10.
The Damage spells give random skillpoints like 4/10.

Must have. I could of sworn it wasn't working for me. I'll watch for it next time for sure. I really hope to see a summoner class. That's why I thinking if I stick with casting classes, the end result will come to that. Now if they can just fix that MP problem, I'm set.

Gromph

Staff Member
Beta testing for FINAL FANTASY XIV will be conducted follows:

Test Schedule

Monday, July 26, 2010 at 7:00 p.m. to Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. (PDT)

* Testers from all regions may log in during the above times.

The next beta test is scheduled to begin on Tue., July 27, 2010 at 2:00 a.m., and will last until Wed., July 28, 2010 at 0:00 a.m. (GMT)

Londa

Banned
Finally will be able to play beta again. Last weekend I was out of town so I missed out on all the fun(though I heard there was still log in issues). Hope we get a long test this coming weekend.

Khrno

Gromph said:
The next beta test is scheduled to begin on Tue., July 27, 2010 at 2:00 a.m., and will last until Wed., July 28, 2010 at 0:00 a.m. (GMT)

Oh, and I'm at work all day. I guess it'll be just a couple hours during the evening.

Zomba13

I dunno if I'll stay up till 3am for the next test again. I'll be on tomorrow during the day (UK daytime) most definitely. I'm kinda shattered already today having to walk to town in the heat to pick up my 360 S and then walk back taking my old 360 and a bunch of games and stuff.

Corum

IonicSnake said:
So 3-4 hours until it's up? Downloaded and installed the new update, doesn't seem that big, it got done in a few seconds.

11 hours. I think you may have confused PDT and GMT times.

Khrno

Someone was asking about this before:

[Other]

--- Added: 07/26/2010 ---

- We are aware of the following issue and therefore it does not need to be reported:
→ Some equipment is available to use even when the recommended level has not been attained.

Gromph

Staff Member

- Load issues with the client software have been addressed.

- We are aware of the following issue and therefore it does not need to be reported:
→ Some equipment is available to use even when the recommended level has not been attained.

[Resolved Issues]
-- Added: 07/26/2010 ---

- The client may crash during a gathering guildleve.

- The server may crash during battle.

- In some specific circumstances, character data is not properly saved and the following may occur:
・ Log-in/log-out and Teleport/Return commands become unavailable.
・ Character data is rolled back.

DrDogg

Teknoman said:
Hopefully it'll be more of a trade hate volleying kind of thing. Looking at the abilities on wiki again, it seems like Gladiator, Pugilist, or Marauder could work as a tank. All 3 have enmity generating abilities and defensive abilities.

Thinking about (in retail anyway) leveling Marauder as well, at least to have access to defender and disorient (throwing dust in someones face sounds like a gladiator). More of a violent tank than Paladin.

Glad that most of the jobs so far seem to have multiple uses...and heres hoping the community does start walling them into cookie cutter builds or completely turning against a job type.

I would prefer a single tank (unless you're fighting a group of enemies) because if hate management is anything like it was in FFXI, the more people you have with the ability to pull hate, the harder it is to hold hate. I can't imagine what it would be like as PLD trying to hold hate with two other PLDs in the party.

I'm also thinking that you'll definitely see "recommended specs". I expect to see them early on, but at the very least you'll see them for endgame stuff. I imagine the best tank will use all of the emnity-generating and defensive abilities with maybe high-level Cure spells added for good measure. Almost like a super PLD?

The same goes for mage classes. I assume a hybrid of the mages classes will provide the "recommended specs" for WHM, RDM and BLM builds.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Gromph said:
Beta testing for FINAL FANTASY XIV will be conducted follows:

Test Schedule

Monday, July 26, 2010 at 7:00 p.m. to Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. (PDT)
Damnit...guess Ill play today...but then SC2 comes out :eek:

desa

DrDogg said:
I can't imagine what it would be like as PLD trying to hold hate with two other PLDs in the party.

What's wrong with this? It works exactly like it's supposed to in FFXI. More than one PLD? Then hate would be bounced around between said Pallys. Like fighting Ultima in limbus. Usual method would be to use two plds and have hate bounce back and forth between the two. Although there's always one exceptional paladin that has no trouble maintaining hate even with another one or two present.

Teknoman

DrDogg said:
I would prefer a single tank (unless you're fighting a group of enemies) because if hate management is anything like it was in FFXI, the more people you have with the ability to pull hate, the harder it is to hold hate. I can't imagine what it would be like as PLD trying to hold hate with two other PLDs in the party.

I'm also thinking that you'll definitely see "recommended specs". I expect to see them early on, but at the very least you'll see them for endgame stuff. I imagine the best tank will use all of the emnity-generating and defensive abilities with maybe high-level Cure spells added for good measure. Almost like a super PLD?

The same goes for mage classes. I assume a hybrid of the mages classes will provide the "recommended specs" for WHM, RDM and BLM builds.

Well even with a single enemy, a Pugilist would want to get some hate at a point, since it needs to evade an attack to activate higher level weapon skills.

Of course evasion of an aoe may count towards that as well, so maybe it wont be an issue.

Rocwell

Gromph said:
[Resolved Issues]

- The client may crash during a gathering guildleve.
Yay. I hope they fixed the game crashing when you use lay of the land/prospect. I wanted to lvl up botanist but it's pretty much impossible when you're just wandering around randomly hoping to bump into a logging point.

MCX

Banned
I was wondering why I was able to equip body armor at rank 6 that was intended for rank 16. :p I won't be unequipping it anytime soon.

Zomba13

MCX said:
I was wondering why I was able to equip body armor at rank 6 that was intended for rank 16. :p I won't be unequipping it anytime soon.
Same I've got a rank 20 odd dalmatica that i managed to equip. Got some very nice stats on it for a rank 1 lol.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
This is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) in which players navigate a large cast of characters that engage in missions and fight the forces of evil. Players explore environments (e.g., cities, plains, caves) and battle human and fantasy creatures. Players use swords, spears, axes, firearms, and magic spells (e.g., fire balls, energy beams) to defeat enemies in real-time combat. Cutscenes depict a man being stabbed from behind, and creatures emitting splashes of purple or yellow blood when struck. Some female characters are depicted from low camera angles, with lingering camera views of their buttocks (i.e., up-skirt shots). Dialogue contains suggestive references; for example, "The netmaster's probably up in his office polishing the mast just thinking about her," "stick yer manhood in the forge," and "You cheating little whore!" Several characters are referred to as drunk or drunken, while others sometimes talk about wine, rum, and grog. The word "sh*t" can be heard in the dialogue.
http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=29479

:lol

Corum

Can anyone re-post what the attributes (strength, intelligence etc.) specifically change?

I'm thinking of rolling a gladiator tomorrow and want to know what's useful although I can hazard a guess at Strength, Vitality and bit of Dexterity.

*Edit* Nevermind

STR - Physical Attack
DEX - Physical Accuracy
VIT - Physical Defence
INT - Magic Attack
MND - Magic Defence
Piety - Magic Accuracy

Huzzah, I will finally get to play! I only just got past the boat section the week before last and haven't been able to get on since.

Not sure how it will run though. It was ok on my 460 but that broke last weekend so I'm back to my 4850 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom