• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Londa

Banned
Teknoman said:
Well they've still got one more phase, which i guess will implement alot of different things. It seems they've always got one build ahead of the one currently out...and i'd expect a decent sized day 1 patch both for collectors editions and of course for standard.

Also I bet most keyboard/mouse config problems will be alleviated once we have the full config menu to work with.

Thank you, been trying to get people to understand this. We are working on a old build of the game guys.

notworksafe

Londa said:
Thank you, been trying to get people to understand this. We are working on a old build of the game guys.
Yes, no one has said we are working with the final build. However, this is an MMO...and one that launches very soon. You are seriously delusional if you think the final product is going to be a huge change from what we have now. The time for major changes has passed in the development cycle.

Khrno

notworksafe said:
You are seriously delusional if you think the final product is going to be a huge change from what we have now. The time for major changes has passed in the development cycle.

The game doesn't require major changes tho. It just needs adjustments on many places, but not major.

Londa

Banned
notworksafe said:
Yes, no one has said we are working with the final build. However, this is an MMO...and one that launches very soon. You are seriously delusional if you think the final product is going to be a huge change from what we have now. The time for major changes has passed in the development cycle.

There is nothing wrong with me not complaining about things I can't change. I'm not going to talk down on the game until after release tyvm. You do whatever you choose to do. That doesn't make me delusional and I feel like you are being rude by saying that about me.

Chris R

notworksafe said:
Exactly. It isn't like they are going to be able to change a ton of stuff between now and then. I know MMOs grow and evolve, but what you are playing now will be an extremely good representation of what the final game will play like.

notworksafe

rhfb said:
Exactly. It isn't like they are going to be able to change a ton of stuff between now and then. I know MMOs grow and evolve, but what you are playing now will be an extremely good representation of what the final game will play like.
Yeah, in a year from now this could be a totally different game. My plan is to play it at launch until Cataclysm comes out then come back in 3-6 months and see what has changed.

Teknoman

rhfb said:

I dunno, combat system was a pretty large change between the two phases.

Also i'm still not sure what I want my main job to be...I'm guessing there will be an abundance of gladiators?

Chris R

Teknoman said:
I dunno, combat system was a pretty large change between the two phases.

Also i'm still not sure what I want my main job to be...I'm guessing there will be an abundance of gladiators?
Between two phases of the Beta or between the Alpha and Beta?

Atrus

Gold Member
Given the extremely limited experience people in Beta were allowed to access, what may I ask are going to be the expected 'major changes' that will take too long to accompish before release?

If the complaint is that the beta players simply just don't have access to all of the content as yet, then that hardly is a reason to go on a tangent.

While combat issues should have been expected to have been completed earlier, I see nothing overly critical as yet aside from stability issues and bugs. While I would wish that they took all the time they need to deliver as fully a finished product as possible, I don't see anything to be whining so much about as yet.

If this were the end of August, yes but still plenty of time for releases till then.

Ploid 3.0

So they should be gold in a few weeks? D:

SE Panic mode (or users panic mode since they will be dealing with any problems).
150901.gif

carlo6529

I actually want to grind levels in camps... One of my worries is the game will become too easy leveling up wise ala WoW and the accomplishment of making it to max level will be lost.

Teknoman

Well there isnt anything wrong with the combat aside from MP needing to regen the same as HP when in passive mode. Targeting could use some tweaking of course.

Not sure whats up with the shops, since the alpha testers said they used to be stocked with armor/clothes as well as weapons.

Content? Well we already know the case with that. Im guessing Alpha-Beta 1 Phase was Battle testing (plus graphical upgrade), Beta Phase 2 is connection/server stress load, and Phase 3 (final phase?) should be content/various configuration changes?

carlo6529 said:
I actually want to grind levels in camps... One of my worries is the game will become too easy leveling up wise ala WoW and the accomplishment of making it to max level will be lost.

Oh its not easy, but its not as hard (time consuming) as XI was. The fights are challenging at times but most likely reward you as much as an offline FF game would with exp.

As far as gaining profession rank points, you get skills during battle, and you get a certain about after battle (the way XI was in party battles), so that explains why someone got the same amount of skill points at the end of a fight, no matter how much they put into it.

Nakazato said:
Any one know if theres a lvl 10 pug weapon ??

Check Hawkers Alley.

Londa

Banned
There is one DoDo that has been following me around all day. The same one.. It follows me from behind and when I turn around it runs away. Did it three times so far. :lol

A herd of sheep made me think they was aggroing me and then they even moved their heads like they was gonna hit me but then stopped mid way and walked away. Only to come back and do it again. Creepy

Khrno

Have you seen the little sheeps that look like cotton puffs? I think you were talking about them when saying a herd of sheeps, but might be the bigger ones since they walk around all time.

But the little puff balls are like so cute :lol

Londa

Banned
Khrno said:
Have you seen the little sheeps that look like cotton puffs? I think you were talking about them when saying a herd of sheeps, but might be the bigger ones since they walk around all time.

no it was the scary evil looking sheep. I like the cuter ones!! but those don't follow me :(

There are those friendly beastmen that look like weasels, those follow me too. lol

Khrno

The Qiqirns are funny, I was killed by a Smolenkos, and the Qiqirn Mercenary that was standing still besides me, started to panic and ran around between the Smolenkos and my body for a few seconds.

Kuraine

Neo Member
Nakazato said:
Any one know if theres a lvl 10 pug weapon ??

Kinda! If you check the far West Hawker's Alley, there's a roegadyn on the middle stall that sells imports from Ul'dah. There's a higher-level pair of knuckles for ~12k and even higher hora for 16-18k.

It's a bit pricey for either of 'em, but if you've been doing Skull Valley leves for a while and selling drops you should be able to afford 'em around rank 10 Pugilist.

I just picked them up, and boy do they work :D Basically doubled my damage output. And they make huge impact sounds compared to the bone hora.

Teknoman

Khrno said:
The Qiqirns are funny, I was killed by a Smolenkos, and the Qiqirn Mercenary that was standing still besides me, started to panic and ran around between the Smolenkos and my body for a few seconds.

I beckoned to one Qiqirn and it ran out of the cave and down the road >_>

Enemies really do have their own personalities like Monster Hunter now, which is kinda cool. Also everyone from XI seems to be getting used to the whole exp on the move thing. We beat up Aldgoats and were getting nice exp from single kills, with a random large skill increase after some kills.

Apparently physical level really isnt as important as Profession rank in a party, and I think it spreads exp based on that. Physical exp is really easy to get...I mean i'm still getting 100+ on beetles I can kill in two hits, so thats nice. Closer to offline FF in that respect.

Now if only S-E would even up the enemy difficulty around the starting areas, and let MP regen at the same rate as HP in passive mode, things would flow alot smoother.

Seriously, because everyone uses MP now. Any elemental based weapon skill = MP and TP use.

EDIT: I've decided on being a Mining, Fishing, Cooking, Gladiator-Marauder :lol

LaneDS

Khrno said:

I felt pretty horrible punching them in the face with my old man character. Too adorable for such elderly brutality.

Teknoman

Especially when they make that "Ewee...aaaa" noise while dying.

EDIT: I cant get on the feedback forums for some reason, but they also need to implement a visual level up reminder for both profession rank and physical rank. And backgrounds for the chat block.

Khrno

Teknoman said:
Apparently physical level really isnt as important as Profession rank in a party, and I think it spreads exp based on that. Physical exp is really easy to get...I mean i'm still getting 100+ on beetles I can kill in two hits, so thats nice. Closer to offline FF in that respect.

I don't really know how skill points work. I was soloing green Dodos for about an hour or so, getting always about the same exp, but the skill points were all over the place from 150 to 500, probably about 350 or so on average. First time I've gotten so many points.

The thing is that I basically was just using Light Swing all the time. Even sometimes I would get to use TP attacks, I'd end up getting even less than a fight with just LSs. Could it be that hitting criticals, or the direction of the hits (rear/sides) affect them? I have no idea.

I'll be grinding on them tomorrow since I can't beat a green Mole at this level (16 r13) :lol So I'll just write down all the data. Actually, I think the logs are auto-saved right? I might just clean them up and count everything (criticals, side/rear hits, misses) and see if there's some relation at all.

Oh, and what's the deal with the "skill proficiency"? It happens on every hit, but I don't see it affecting any stat/counter/meter.

Teknoman said:
EDIT: I cant get on the feedback forums for some reason, but they also need to implement a visual level up reminder for both profession rank and physical rank.

[Planned Adjustments]
- An animation effect when a character’s physical level increases will be added

They are doing it for the level, so maybe there will be something for rank too.

Chris R

carlo6529 said:
I don't see why they can't offer more than one way to play the game. Camps so FFXI vets can settle in with 5 other people and kill the same monster for 2+ hours at a time and other ways to gain experience like exploration, quests, pvp combat (odds are it will be like FFXI's "pvp" aka worthless), ect to go along with killing a bunch of different monsters.

Londa

Banned
Teknoman said:
I beckoned to one Qiqirn and it ran out of the cave and down the road >_>

Enemies really do have their own personalities like Monster Hunter now, which is kinda cool. Also everyone from XI seems to be getting used to the whole exp on the move thing. We beat up Aldgoats and were getting nice exp from single kills, with a random large skill increase after some kills.

Now if only S-E would even up the enemy difficulty around the starting areas, and let MP regen at the same rate as HP in passive mode, things would flow alot smoother.

Seriously, because everyone uses MP now. Any elemental based weapon skill = MP and TP use.

EDIT: I've decided on being a Mining, Fishing, Cooking, Gladiator-Marauder :lol

I have to try emoting to them next time I see them. I'm really impressed that they are trying to flesh out every mob. I can't wait to have a troop of mandy following me around. That is going to be so cute!

Teknoman

rhfb said:
I don't see why they can't offer more than one way to play the game. Camps so FFXI vets can settle in with 5 other people and kill the same monster for 2+ hours at a time and other ways to gain experience like exploration, quests, pvp combat (odds are it will be like FFXI's "pvp" aka worthless), ect to go along with killing a bunch of different monsters.

Looks like you can camp to a certain extent, we found a whole herd of aldgoat out in some remote corner of the map. So i guess it's a little of both? Not sure what Ul'dah's battle arena has in store.

Khrno

I've seen places that have over 5 or 6 mobs of the same kind (moles, crabs, goats, gobbues, salamanders, etc) in a relatively small space. I haven't timed repops, but they are quite quick, should be way under 5 minutes, if someone has actually timed them please say.
So finding a camp at low levels should be easy (well, if there's no people already on them, after release I mean).

Teknoman said:
Square seemed to get out some of the performance issue fixes pretty fast.

As far as content, what else would you guys want to see around the early levels?

I never thought i'd be killing rats and moles in a 2010 MMO.

And those guildeves or whatever are some seriously shitty quests.

Munba

Some interesting levequest info i found in the beta forum that i didn't know:

What are faction-sponsored levequests?
Eorzea plays host to numerous civilian organisations, both great and small, which represent the many and varied interested of her people. Three of the largest and most influential of these take a keen interest in adventurer activity.
They are the Brotherhood of the Broken Blade-a group of vigiliantes who are convinced that the beast tribes will one day destory the realm, unless we destroy them first;
Azeyma's Shield-self-proclaimed protectors of the weak and enemies of evil; and the Horn and Hand-a band of scholars and scientists, merchants and moneylenders who seek to gain fame (and fortune) by aiding in the outfitting of adventurers.
To extend their influence throughout Eorzea, each of these "factions" sponsors levequests which coincide with their particular area of interest.
Completing a levequest sponsored by a certain faction not only earns you "Credits," but also increases the influence that faction has in the area where the levequest was completed.
The more influence a faction has over an area, the better the rewards offered by for completing levequests sponsored by that faction. In turn, factions with less influence in an area often offer extra credits in order to lure adventurers to choose their sponsored tasks.
A faction's influence in any given area can be confirmed at the area's governing aetheryte camp or aetherial gate.
Faction credits earned after completing levequests can be used to gain access to special missions offered only to loyal followers. The factions often reward those who complete these achievements with rare items or generous amounts of gil.

What are Guild Marks?
There are some levequests which offer rewards of guild marks in place of gil. Guild marks can be used at their corrosponding guild to purchase items or acquire special ability training.
However, to earn guild marks, you will be required to conduct and complete the levequest using only a specified skill. Changing classes in the middle of the quest will forfeit your guild mark reward, even if you are successful in completing the quest objectives.

How do I return a Guildleve?
Regardless of wether or not you complete a levequest, you may exchange the corrosponding guildleve for a new one by speaking with me.
You can earn larger rewards for your new levequest by exchanging leves that are of a different type (designated by the leve's stained glass image) or those that were issued by a different Adventuring Guild.
While guildleves from failed levequests can be exchanged for new ones, they can also be reissued, offering you another opportunity to complete their objectives.

Sin

Guys, I'm trying to build a PC basically just to play FFXIV on.

I'm planning to OC, so how well do you think this setup would run the game?

Sharkoon Seraphim Black ATX Case

Coolermaster GX Series 650 Watt PSU

Asus P7H55-V

Intel Core i5 760 2.8 Ghz

Glacialtech F101 Silent Heatpipe Cooler

Transcend 4 Gb DDR 3 1333mhz

Ati Radeon HD 5850 1Gb

WD Caviar Black 500Gb

Any input from someone with a similar rig would be greatly appreciated.

Londa

Banned
fizzelopeguss said:
I never thought i'd be killing rats and moles in a 2010 MMO.

And those guildeves or whatever are some seriously shitty quests.

You are playing at noob levels. What do you expect? To me exping off of the final boss?

Londa

Banned
I hope they release linkpearls next version update. We need to have a lp for gaf.

Would party with you Jinko but I don't know what level you are. Also I'm going out in a hour. But I can be back later.

Let me know your rank level.

Salaadin

Sin said:
Guys, I'm trying to build a PC basically just to play FFXIV on.

I'm planning to OC, so how well do you think this setup would run the game?

Sharkoon Seraphim Black ATX Case

Coolermaster GX Series 650 Watt PSU

Asus P7H55-V

Intel Core i5 760 2.8 Ghz

Glacialtech F101 Silent Heatpipe Cooler

Transcend 4 Gb DDR 3 1333mhz

Ati Radeon HD 5850 1Gb

WD Caviar Black 500Gb

Any input from someone with a similar rig would be greatly appreciated.

You might want to run that by the PC thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383771&page=217

Personally, I think it sounds fine. Its pretty damn similar to what I have (ATI 5850, i5 750, 4GBs DDR3) and from what Im hearing, my build will run it just fine. I dont think youll have much to worry about assuming SE completely fixes the ATI issue (it might be already for all I know, I dont see it mentioned anymore)

Jinko

Londa said:
I hope they release linkpearls next version update. We need to have a lp for gaf.

Would party with you Jinko but I don't know what level you are. Also I'm going out in a hour. But I can be back later.

Let me know your rank level.

Agree we need linkshells :p, am 18/21 GLD/PHY in Casseopia killing puks welcome to join me :), my character name is Lima Gor.

Sin

Salaadin said:
You might want to run that by the PC thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383771&page=217

Personally, I think it sounds fine. Its pretty damn similar to what I have (ATI 5850, i5 750, 4GBs DDR3) and from what Im hearing, my build will run it just fine. I dont think youll have much to worry about assuming SE completely fixes the ATI issue (it might be already for all I know, I dont see it mentioned anymore)

Thanks, I'll do that. :)

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Londa said:
You are playing at noob levels. What do you expect? To me exping off of the final boss?

Pretty sure we'll be killing rats and moles at almost max level as well, knowing S-E. :lol

Vesper73

Does anyone know if they are going to update shadows from just characters to all surfaces and objects? I was hoping the Shadow Detail 'Highest' setting would do the trick, but that does not seem to be the case, at least right now.

It just looks kind of strange to have shadows being cast only by characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom