• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

This game gets extremely boring once you have completed your guildleve allocation.

Am at lvl 16 GLD now and its getting a real drag to grind, I would consider crafting if they had a working AH in the game, but as it stands its too much hassle to find the items.

Khrno

I have 8 GL complete on my journal.

When I go to Piralnaut to get some new ones, after selecting the GL and acepting it, he says: "You have no exchangeable leves".

Now I'm unable to get any new GL, even tho there are many for rank 1, 10 and 20. Is there anyway to get rid of the complete GL? I thought you would exchange them for new ones to get more rewards and stuff. That's what the npc in the information section anyway (and what I've done previously some other times too).

So am I missing something here or should I get to feedback forum and report this issue?

Teknoman

Yeah guildeleves were supposed to just be quick solo large exp and item opportunities, with added difficulty levels in case you wanted to knock out a few with parties. I guess i'm going to try and get into a party to see if anyone wants to beat up on some larger enemies.

Also there are some enemy thieves roaming around Bloodshore. I think they were called Padfoots?

Looks like the custom house is going to end up being the auction house:

6p9pao.png

Khrno said:
I have 8 GL complete on my journal.

When I go to Piralnaut to get some new ones, after selecting the GL and acepting it, he says: "You have no exchangeable leves".

Now I'm unable to get any new GL, even tho there are many for rank 1, 10 and 20. Is there anyway to get rid of the complete GL? I thought you would exchange them for new ones to get more rewards and stuff. That's what the npc in the information section anyway (and what I've done previously some other times too).

So am I missing something here or should I get to feedback forum and report this issue?

You can only exchange guildleves towards new ones that are available. I think they only give you a few every 2 in game days? Or was it 2 days real time?

Khrno

Teknoman said:
You can only exchange guildleves towards new ones that are available. I think they only give you a few every 2 in game days? Or was it 2 days real time?

But there are many GL available, different ones than the 8 that I have active/completed in my journal. There are 2 in the Tutorial, there are 3 rank 10 in the Miner section, there are 3 in the rank 10 combat and 3 more in the rank 20 combat.

I haven't done any of those, and I'm not able to get them and I'm Marauder 12 and Miner 11.
So is there a limit on how many you can do a day? I'm not trying to repeat any GL, just to do new ones that appear there to be taken.

Coldsnap

edit nvm, you have to select the ability square first...

gosh, I'm so down on this game right now. It's design is infuriating sometimes.

Jinko

Khrno said:
Quitting the game didn't help, I'm going to post it in the feedback forum.

You can only do up to 8 leves ever 2 days, if you look in your journal it will say 8/8 or something.

Don't worry a lot of people have complained on the beta forum that the repeat timer needs to be shortened.

@ Tek I saw you several times running round, said hey but you ignored me lol, typical GAFer :lol

I was also thinking of making a party and tackling some higher level mobs, but seems the majority of us are playing GLD, not sure how well that would work.

Coldsnap

ah okay.

One last question, when repeating levequests do you have to go back to limsa and talk to the guy to get the levequest again?

Teknoman

Jinko said:
You can only do up to 8 leves ever 2 days, if you look in your journal it will say 8/8 or something.

Don't worry a lot of people have complained on the beta forum that the repeat timer needs to be shortened.

@ Tek I saw you several times running round, said hey but you ignored me lol, typical GAFer :lol

I was also thinking of making a party and tackling some higher level mobs, but seems the majority of us are playing GLD, not sure how well that would work.

:lol sorry about that.

On the gladiator part, I only went Gladiator since there was a lack of tanks around...now everyone gone Gladiator :lol

Bleh, I'm thinking I'm done with this for now until they make Conjurer playable. Ranking up is ridiculously hard.

1) Solo: kill two mobs which take 5 minutes apiece then run back to town, repeat until bored.

2) Group: you can either earn alot of skill points by actually casting spells. However you'll be out of mana after 4 fights if you actually spam your spells. If you don't spam spells, you get next to no skill points during the fight because Spirit Dart yields next to none.

Just bitter because I was grouping with a melee (2 ranks higher than me) that was getting 200-300 axe skill per fight while I was only getting 30-50 because Conjurers can't actually do anything worthwhile without running out of mana and have no useful ways of regenning it.

Khrno

Jinko said:

Oh, I thought it was after you do one GL you can't do it again after 2 days. But it's 8 for 2 days? :lol Thanks Jinko.

I guess I'll be Mining and grinding Marauder all day tomorrow then. With lots of mining then I can try some smithing.

Looking at it that way, it's not that bad not being able to do more GL during that time.

Londa said:
anyone know where the market wards are?

Go to the lower level, below the GL npc hall. When you are in the big room below, the one with the Chocobo, go West and you'll reach the markets (if you go East from this room, you leave the city).

RuGalz

Mister Zimbu said:
Bleh, I'm thinking I'm done with this for now until they make Conjurer playable. Ranking up is ridiculously hard.

1) Solo: kill two mobs which take 5 minutes apiece then run back to town, repeat until bored.

2) Group: you can either earn alot of skill points by actually casting spells. However you'll be out of mana after 4 fights if you actually spam your spells. If you don't spam spells, you get next to no skill points during the fight because Spirit Dart yields next to none.

Just bitter because I was grouping with a melee (2 ranks higher than me) that was getting 200-300 axe skill per fight while I was only getting 30-50 because Conjurers can't actually do anything worthwhile without running out of mana and have no useful ways of regenning it.
Welcome to a mage class by SE, they just dont get it:lol

Teknoman

With enough feedback on that, i'm sure they'll change it to where you can regen everything except TP in passive.

Also I forget how cheap ethers are, but those can help too.

Nakazato

well if beta is any indication my Gf is going to be pissed at how much i play XD
Edit: awesome getting errors now think im done for the night

lvl 14 physical, lvl 9 pug, lvl 9 bot, lvl 8 miner not bad for 3 days for play :p

RuGalz

Teknoman said:
With enough feedback on that, i'm sure they'll change it to where you can regen everything except TP in passive.

Yeah i wish it was just that, but no, not just the mp regen thing, I just killed a yellow Dodo for example and used 3/4 my mp, cycling thunders, blizzards, radiances, spirit darts, cures and whatnot, guess how many skills I got when i killed him after 3-4 mins, yeah thats right, not a single conj skill and 1k xp, granted this doesnt happen all the time, sometimes i get 90-150 skills lol. Theres so many things wrong with mages at the moment and i honestly think they are working as intended, this is SE after all:lol D:

gillty

Banned
carlo6529 said:
So, are the zones in the game comparable to ffxi's zones? I want the game to feel massive.
The zones are the sizes of regions in XI with lots of caves and underground passages.

Jinko

Managed to get to 17 GLD, 20 Physcal, anyone know what best to level off at this level, dodo's and moles aren't very good xp anymore.

Flies are ok but could do with better skill points, I might try those jellies in Cassopeia tomorrow.

RuGalz

Jinko said:
Managed to get to 17 GLD, 20 Physcal, anyone know what best to level off at this level, dodo's and moles aren't very good xp anymore.

Flies are ok but could do with better skill points, I might try those jellies in Cassopeia tomorrow.
Sent you a PM.

Teknoman

RuGalz said:
Yeah i wish it was just that, but no, not just the mp regen thing, I just killed a yellow Dodo for example and used 3/4 my mp, cycling thunders, blizzards, radiances, spirit darts, cures and whatnot, guess how many skills I got when i killed him after 3-4 mins, yeah thats right, not a single conj skill and 1k xp, granted this doesnt happen all the time, sometimes i get 90-150 skills lol. Theres so many things wrong with mages at the moment and i honestly think they are working as intended, this is SE after all:lol D:

So skill points are busted for them too? Unless it was that exp bug (thats happened to me a few times too).

Teknoman said:

Are a lot of people complaining about MP regen?

Zomba13

You know when I was moaning about my connj not getting the skill points and whineing about Skill and skill profiiciency? Well everything adds up on the melee classes but conj is broken

Fuck conjurer. Its too random, and half the skill ups you get you don't even keep.

I counted my log. I cured this massive battle. Got roughly 1.4k skill ups during the fight.

At the end of it It registered me as having 600.

It then disconnected me.
Someone on BG posted that. So it seems to be a common problem with Conj itself being broken with the leveling up stuff.

EDIT: also from BG someone said that anima comes back at a rate of 1 point every 6 hours. He had 61 left, was offline for around 12 hours and had 63 when he got back. If they go to retail with that rate then travelling is going to suck balls after you've moved about a bit. I think the lesson is to save it for long distance stuff and man up and walk around the newbie regions.

MCX

Banned
Jinko said:
This game gets extremely boring once you have completed your guildleve allocation.

Am at lvl 16 GLD now and its getting a real drag to grind, I would consider crafting if they had a working AH in the game, but as it stands its too much hassle to find the items.
This. x100

I ended up selling my beta account for a Benjamin and bought a PSP. That game is a mess.

Edit:
If anybody else wants to sell their beta account for $75-$100 (the current going rate), head over to http://www.egamingsupply.com/forum/sell-final-fantasy-14-ffxiv-accounts/
It's legit.

Zomba13

MCX said:
This. x100

I ended up selling my beta account for a Benjamin and bought a PSP. That game is a mess.

Edit:
If anybody else wants to sell their beta account for $75-$100 (the current going rate), head over to http://www.egamingsupply.com/forum/sell-final-fantasy-14-ffxiv-accounts/
It's legit.
Damn o.o that's a lot of money for a beta account. I'd never pay that much.

I'm still enjoying the beta a bit, I had a lot of fun trying to find that underground place that is supposedly around Bald knoll (had no luck) but you do run out of things to do in th ebeta quick if crafting isn't your thing.
I'm pretty sure it's due to it being a beta though and just a small fraction of the stuff in he full game. I hope anyway. I also think that I shouldn't bother leveling up my character because it'll be gone at the end of beta and I'll have to do it again and I don't want the first 20 odd levels spoiled for me (don't care about the story missions being spoiled though as I'll be starting in the forest place)

Londa

Banned
Yep lets judge the game off of a early beta build because SE could never add or edit things to fix the issues in beta before release! Lets ignore the list SE has put on the beta site of the things they plan to fix. It's not EVER going to happen!

is it even ok to tell people where to sale their beta account here? Isn't that like gil selling?

notworksafe

Let's never criticize a beta of a game that comes out in two months! There's nothing to even improve upon! Even if there was let's assume that everything will get fixed, even though Square hasn't been really been rushing out any fixes. Let's also assume that there will be a ton of content even though there's no reason at all to think that based upon what we have seen.

These complaints are valid for an MMO beta in the year 2010. You may not think so, but unless things change it's going to be a rough launch.

Teknoman

Square seemed to get out some of the performance issue fixes pretty fast.

As far as content, what else would you guys want to see around the early levels?

Oh and as far as leves go, im sure there will be alot more at launch, since not only are they sorta random (the ones availiable to take as well as rewards) but the nodes placed around the area are also spots for leves.

All I can say is test as much as you want and report issues as much as possible.

notworksafe

Instances, quests, new zones, mounts, new capitals...pretty much as much as possible. You'd think that with the launch of a brand new MMO they'd be more concerned with balancing, bug testing, and just generally making sure things work. Yes every company has internal QA, but that is slightly different than having 100k people beat the shit out of your content and poke at every little thing they can while testing.

As far as getting out quick fixes...yeah, not so sure on that. How long did it take before ATI cards didn't perform like shit? How is mouse control doing? Hell, how are the arrow keys for camera control?

All I can say is that I'm tired of grinding now that I've done all the GLs and reporting issues to SQE without anything getting resolved, which is why I gave my last usable beta account away. Unless there are some dramatic changes, I'll probably stay away until launch.

Alex

I just don't want another context devoid grind fest, you don't have to make a ton of menial quests, but do improve on the late 90s model of progression, good lord.

I dont mind some grinding, sometimes it's quite fun, but I just hope it's not as a primary means.

I'm also worried about casters, if this was any other developer, I wouldn't, but I've enough experience with FFXI to know Square loves to sit on their ass for months on end, ignoring crippling issues.

Let's never criticize a beta of a game that comes out in two months!

Exactly, but less than two! :p This thing needs to eat a delay. I'd say it has cult appeal strong enough to avoid the typical kiss of death a bad launch would normally hit any other MMO with, but I doubt they're looking for stunted growth either.

I don't know why they don't just work the whole affair back to March. I might drop down to normal edition too, but I want the authenticator. They should box that thing with all copies, really.

gillty

Banned
hgplayer1 said:
emergency maintenance scheduled from 22:00 PDT to 1:00 PDT
Before people start freaking out, this "emergency" maintenance was announced over 12 hours beforehand, nothing special.

LaneDS

Even the guildleves aren't very exciting or worthwhile. They're a very small step above just randomly grinding, and from an xp perspective they're less good. Getting pieces of armor is nice, but gil is presently worthless as the game has no semblance of economy (to be expected for a beta that just went 24/7 and is mostly devoid of things to use your money on).

The game really is going to have to be dripping in actual quests like Treasures of the Main for me to have any interest at this point. Grinding for hours just to see a small chunk of story every so often is not fun.

Rocwell

I did a bit of mucking about with the crafting system and I have to say I think it's a nice improvement over the old system in FFXI. Being able to see what you're attempting to craft before doing the synth was such a no brainer and also I like how you can select different recipes for your raw materials. For example if you take a willow log you can craft either a piece of lumber or a plank. They just need to add an ingame database for recipes and everything will be great.

The actual crafting minigame mechanic is also nice if only because I won't have to hear all kinds of superstitious nonsense about day of the week, moon phase and direction you're facing. :lol

Zalasta

In regards to the imbalance between melee and mage class in terms of skill points, have you considered the possibility that maybe the former is boosted for the beta while the latter is more in line with what it'll be like after retail? I honestly do not think we'll be gaining them at the same rate as it is being described now.

As for the complaints about grinding and having nothing to do. Isn't it already obvious that their priority at the moment is server stability and fixing game breaking bugs in the various systems. It's really sad that there are still ignorant people who don't understand what game testing is about.

Jinko

Zalasta said:
In regards to the imbalance between melee and mage class in terms of skill points, have you considered the possibility that maybe the former is boosted for the beta while the latter is more in line with what it'll be like after retail? I honestly do not think we'll be gaining them at the same rate as it is being described now.

That seems very unlikely, we all get that this is a beta test but you don't piss your main fanbase off by doing shit like that, that's the kind of crap that make people cancel their preorders.

Broken mage classes are a thing for SE.

As for the complaints about grinding and having nothing to do. Isn't it already obvious that their priority at the moment is server stability and fixing game breaking bugs in the various systems.

Yes you are right, but they seem to have got on top of the stability issues, so time to move on and start balancing the game, providing us with an experience that is similar to the finished product, its less than 2 months untill release.

There are so many things that still need fixing, the retainer system is a complete joke, the controls and still crap.

It's really sad that there are still ignorant people who don't understand what game testing is about.

Are people still using this shitty excuse ? I think we are all aware of what this beta test is aiming for by now and I think SE should be thankful they have a lot of rabid and patient fans that they can dick about.

The fact still remains though that in 2010 you don't want to base your progression on constant monster grind, FF11 might have been able to get away with that but the game was 8 years old.

SE seems to have learnt very little, yes the menu's and graphics look great but underneath its still the same clunky piece of programming that FF11 was.

I will still be getting the game, I just hope that it provides us with enough content and guildleves.

Munba

I continue to have problem of delay/lag in all of the menus (shop, actions, inventory -terrible delay here in particular-). It's only me or it's stil a general problem?

Londa

Banned
Beta is not the full game. From my experience with SE releases, they will show a very old build of the game, while they are working on the retail copy of the game. I thought people knew this, specially with FFXIII. Better graphics and gameplay were shown in the trailers that were closer to release while just CG and old builds (square fingers) were shown earlier on to give people a taste.

But people never think of this, all they like to do is complain.

I know we are close to release but I'm sure there are more quests, storyline, and whatever else you guys keep whining about that isn't there yet in a basic beta that just went 24/7 in the past 1-2 days.

ATI graphic problem was around for only 2 weeks. But the way people were complaining made it feel like 2 months. Why can't people just wait until releast? Stop looking at WoW expansion beta as a comparision. Its an expansion to a game that already exsist. Its not a game being built from the floor up. People should chill.

Londa

Banned
Munba said:
I continue to have problem of delay/lag in all of the menus (shop, actions, inventory -terrible delay here in particular-). It's only me or it's stil a general problem?

I have this problem but I've seen youtube videos with people playing with no lag issues in these areas. I can't really say that the lag in the menu's is a global thing.

Jinko

Lag in the menu's is terrible I agree, it wasn't half as bad as this the first week of beta testing, it takes a really long time after clikcing sell/buy to get an actual screen, I expect this to get ironed out.

I duno what to say to you Londa, although there is no sense in comparing an MMO to a single player game the development process is completely different.

I'm sure SE have a shit load more leves and quests for us in release, its not really the conent thing that bugs me it the restrictions on that content.

The fact they limit us to 8 leves every 48 hours is ridiculous, part of the games selling point is the guildleves and they have basically made them a backseat in the beta test, perhaps they did this purposely, the alpha only had 2 hour cooldowns, maybe they plan to adjust them back to the way they were for release or something else, who knows.

But people complain with what they have, not with what they might have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom