• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munba

chris-013 said:
Seems like there are new graphical options.

2xMSAA
4xMSAA
8xCSAA
8xQ MSAA
16x CSAA
16xQ CSAA

Textures and filters quality.

I don't see the 16x in the config mmh. It should appear depend on the video card?

Munba said:
I don't see the 16x in the config mmh. It should appear depend on the video card?

It might.

I noticed something weird in that it wouldn't let me choose full screen mode if my chosen resolution was 1600 wide. It would let me choose full screen for higher ones and lower ones, but not 1600.

Teknoman

The official downloader has never failed me before, but now i've been getting low speeds, and stuck at 58.4% on the first big patch.

All you have to do for the most recent patches Gromph uploaded is download them, then put them in the right folder, and boot FFXIV?

Hopefully the downloader will work alot better in retail.

Salaadin

Teknoman said:
The official downloader has never failed me before, but now i've been getting low speeds, and stuck at 58.4% on the first big patch.

All you have to do for the most recent patches Gromph uploaded is download them, then put them in the right folder, and boot FFXIV?

Hopefully the downloader will work alot better in retail.

Gromphs link a page back has the big one from yesterday and the two smaller ones from yesterday. There were 2 more added today but theyre so small that it shouldnt matter much.

Download the files from Gromph and put them in Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\patch and then run ffxivboot.exe

hgplayer1

Pretty cool that you can go ahead and create your character. Went with Hume Warrior this time and Im gonna stick with it for a while. My character is so boring :(

Jinko

Made my character Jinko Jinko, Lala Armourer should be easy for you guys to type at least :lol

Was tempted to start as alchemist just to get the glasses.

Edit- Guess I will need a new shock boat avatar :D

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Made my guy on Shadowlord. Midland Hyur Pugilist, Drake Metatron.

He actually ended up looking disturbingly like Dracule Mihawk, completely unintentionally, so I figured I ought to name him along similar lines.

Kandinsky

Fuck yeah, more hair options... i hated these things...
a4rm14.jpg

2vtvfj9.jpg

They can be removed now..
2z7hkhu.jpg

2qmgtas.jpg

Perfection.

LowParry

Going with the Conj again to test. Shadowlord server. Name: Chop Sticks

Edit: Different tail types with Miqo. :lol

Edit 2: Checking FRAPS, I'm getting 106FPS now. Was it capped before at 60FPS? Cause if that is the case, that 30FPS in game should be lifted.

Salaadin

CcrooK said:
Going with the Conj again to test. Shadowlord server. Name: Chop Sticks

Edit: Different tail types with Miqo. :lol

Edit 2: Checking FRAPS, I'm getting 106FPS now. Was it capped before at 60FPS? Cause if that is the case, that 30FPS in game should be lifted.

Im pretty sure it was capped at 60 before.

Teknoman

LeMaximilian said:
Can anyone confirm if Hyur males get any new hair options? :D

I didnt see anything new, unless it was in the type difference section.

Kandinsky said:
Guild Marks

EDIT: Oh its just another form of points.

Players will now obtain “guild marks” upon a successful completion of a levequest.
Each class will receive guild marks corresponding to their class. This currency can then be traded to a specific NPCs for various types of rewards.
The amount of guild marks players currently possess can be verified via the "Currency" option located within the Inventory menu.

Salaadin said:
Im pretty sure it was capped at 60 before.

it was..

I get 120 in character creation now..

I wonder if increase the framerate is what they did to fix the mouse lag issues..

will have to see when they let us in..

notworksafe

Figured I may as well drop the update notes here...

[Event-related]

"Linkshells" have been added.

Linkshells are community groups that can be created by any player using an item also known as a linkshell, which can be purchased from the NPC A'shakkal at the Drowning Wench, the Adventurers' Guild in Limsa Lominsa. When you have equipped a linkpearl (the communication device created by a linkshell), the corresponding linkshell crest will be displayed beside your display name.

The following adjustments and additions have been made to the guildleve system:

* New regional guildleves have been added.
* Adjustments have been made to the difficulty level and rewards for regional levequests.
* The amount of skill points that characters gain through levequests will be far more than what they gain through attacking monsters on the field.
* Local levequests have been reinstated.
With the reinstatement of local levequests, the NPC T'mokkri has returned to her post at the Drowning Wench.
* New local guildleves have been added.
* Players will now obtain “guild marks” upon a successful completion of a levequest.
Each class will receive guild marks corresponding to their class. This currency can then be traded to a specific NPCs for various types of rewards.
The amount of guild marks players currently possess can be verified via the "Currency" option located within the Inventory menu.

A message and sound effect will now play upon a successful completion of a quest.

A section for completed quests has been added to the Journal.

The cast timer for Return and Teleport has been removed.
Players will now be immediately teleported once they select their destination.

The countdown timer for logging out has been removed.
Players will now log out immediately once they select the "Log Out" option.

[Battle-related]

The following classes have been added:

* Disciple of the Land – Fisher
* Disciple of the Hand – Armorer, Goldsmith, Alchemist, and Culinarian

The following changes have been made to the how characters toggle between Passive / Active modes:

* Characters will automatically toggle to Active mode if they attack an enemy while in Passive mode
* Characters will automatically toggle to Passive mode if they speak to an NPC while in Active mode

New abilities and spells have been added.

Players will be able to select either a single target or an area effect when casting certain spells.

An animation effect will now be displayed when a character's physical level increases.

Changes have been made to the attack animations and the animation effect for when an attack successfully lands on a character.

The KO penalty has been decreased from 5 minutes to 3 minutes.

[Item-related]

The following additions have been made to the synthesis system:

* New abilities have been added.
* New recipes have been added.

The following changes and additions have been made to the gathering system:

* The fisher class will be able to use the actions "Fish" and "Spearfish."
* New abilities have been added.
* New gathering points have been added and locations of existing gathering points have been adjusted.

New pieces of equipment have been added.

Various new items have been added.

The goods stocked by vendor NPCs have been adjusted.

[System-related]

New options have been added to the character creation process.

The main menu can now be opened by clicking on the system menu icon.

Page scrolling has been added to the Inventory menu.

Additional icons that represent moon phases and the weather have been added to the server latency widget.

Certain NPCs have been given a unique chat window.

The following changes and additions have been made to the party recruitment system:

* Players will be able to join a party without changing classes, as long as they meet the recruitment conditions.
* Players will be able to send party invites to a player in another area, as long as they are in the same region.

The following changes and additions have been made to the map feature:

* The scrolling speed of the map has been improved.
* "Eorzea" has been added to the map list.

“Macros" has been added to the Configuration sub-menu.
With macros, players will be able to execute multiple actions with one command.

Text commands have been added.
Entering a text command starting with the "/" key allows players to change equipment, use abilities, and perform other various actions. During the Beta Test, "/action" will execute the specified action, "/equipaction" will equip the action in the specified slot, and "/equip" will equip the item in the specified gear slot.

The auto-translate feature has been added.
Players can utilize this feature by pushing the Tab key while in chat mode. The tool will automatically complete a partially input word, as well as translate the word to the language indicated in the viewing player's language settings.

The chat modes "/linkshell" and "/echo" has been added.

* Any message input in the linkshelll chat mode can be seen only by a linkshell member.
* Any message input in the echo chat mode can be seen only by the player entering the command.

Players will now be able to switch their default chat mode.
Players can switch their chat mode by entering the text command "/chatmode," followed by the corresponding chat mode.

Salaadin

Just hopped into character creation to see my FPS. 60FPS with d3doverrider on as it should. 120FPS with it turned off.

However, I also noticed that with d3doverrider running, I get a load of mouse lag. I made a post yesterday saying how the mouse control didnt feel "real" to me yet. That was d3doverrider doing that. I guess ffxiv doesnt like Vsync.
Without it, the mouse control felt great.

That sucks. I HATE screen tearing.

Londa

Banned
AHAHAHAHAHA

people that kept dissing the game should eat their hats right about now... Well I can wait until retail release >:D

I want youtube videos of people eatting their hats after Sept 22 :D :D

Can someone please tell me where to put Gromphs patch at?

Kandinsky:

Taking them off makes her less animu! :(

Salaadin

Teknoman said:
Didnt notice much tearing in XIV.

I never tried playing without d3doverrider so I cant say. Im judging solely on the benchmark that had a very noticeable screen tearing problem for me.

Teknoman

Pick a cool crest Gromph.

Oh and patch location:

Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\patch

Salaadin said:
Just hopped into character creation to see my FPS. 60FPS with d3doverrider on as it should. 120FPS with it turned off.

However, I also noticed that with d3doverrider running, I get a load of mouse lag. I made a post yesterday saying how the mouse control didnt feel "real" to me yet. That was d3doverrider doing that. I guess ffxiv doesnt like Vsync.
Without it, the mouse control felt great.

That sucks. I HATE screen tearing.

Salaadin,

It was capped at 60 before w/o d3d overrider.. I never tried to force v-sync through d3d overrider because the framerate was low enough already.

LowParry

Game is running. 30FPS gone! :D

Edit: Mouse control a lot more responsive. Damn this game is so so much better with 60FPS.

Salaadin

Robobandit said:
Salaadin,

It was capped at 60 before w/o d3d overrider.. I never tried to force v-sync through d3d overrider because the framerate was low enough already.

I know that. I always have d3doverrider on by default and never turned it off for FFXIV the one time I played it. I only turned it off this time so I can uncap the FPS.

My worry now is that without the 30 FPS during gameplay, we will probably get screen tearing. I hate screen tearing so Im hoping the VSYNC mouse lag issue is fixed.

notworksafe

Hm. I can't wait to check this out when I get off work. Of course I was only getting 30 FPS max on my laptop anyway but I'm curious what else has changed.

Surprised at the lack of a FPS cap though. I figured SQE would be holding back because of the PS3 version.

Londa said:
AHAHAHAHAHA

people that kept dissing the game should eat their hats right about now... Well I can wait until retail release >:D
Not sure why. Square turned a rough beta into the way a PC game in this year should work. The people "dissing" the game were doing what most people would call "testing" and "giving feedback". Thank god Square decided to actually listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom