• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just fired up the client for the hell of it. Of course I can't log in yet.

Just from the main menu though, the mouse is a LOT less laggy, much more responsive. A really good sign at this point for the playability.

LowParry

Mister Zimbu said:

Just from the main menu though, the mouse is a LOT less laggy, much more responsive. A really good sign at this point for the playability.

Yeah, you're right. A lot more responsive now.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Mister Zimbu said:

You can get to the menu? I am only able to download updates (which I just did). Beyond that I get a window that pops up for ffxivlogin that says "This program cannot be used by itself."

Am I missing something here?

Salaadin

MetatronM said:
You can get to the menu? I am only able to download updates (which I just did). Beyond that I get a window that pops up for ffxivlogin that says "This program cannot be used by itself."

Am I missing something here?

Use ffxivboot. After the updates, it asks for your login.

Teknoman

Gromph said:
Will be Stars of Destiny ofc :)

Oh Gamepad config have ctrl/alt macro buttons mapped :D

Are some of the other button config options different from phase 2 then? Because my 360 controller had a command mapped to every button.

Salaadin

rhfb said:
No invite here either :/ Hoping those German sites come back up soon.
Ff14news says that they are:
ff14news.com/2010/08/08/more-ffxiv-beta-key-giveaway/

I really hope I get my own account for phase three. The only reason I got any time in it before was because my sister and her husband were bored with it so they let me play some. If phase three brings more stuff to do, I'll never see any time with it.

I registered on all the german sites that i could and all of the US ones except for bg. I hope one of them picks me.

Zomba13

Salaadin said:
Ff14news says that they are:
ff14news.com/2010/08/08/more-ffxiv-beta-key-giveaway/

I really hope I get my own account for phase three. The only reason I got any time in it before was because my sister and her husband were bored with it so they let me play some. If phase three brings more stuff to do, I'll never see any time with it.

I registered on all the german sites that i could and all of the US ones except for bg. I hope one of them picks me.
Urgh. Why are all the EU keys german? Gonna have to shove them into google translator.

Vhalyar

Zomba13 said:
Urgh. Why are all the EU keys german? Gonna have to shove them into google translator.
You know, a ton of small French fansites were given 50 keys each to distribute, so it's not just the Germans who got them!

I won two of them, possibly three unless there's someone else out there with the same name as me :lol
Many of these fansites didn't have large numbers of visitors, so you were easily guaranteed at least one key if you applied to all of them.

Jinko

MetatronM said:
Hmm. Weird. Maybe something wacky happened in the original install. Guess I can uninstall and try it again.

Check that the Exe files aren't damaged if they are they will have no FF14 logo.

I had this problem when I first installed so it could be that.

I've just had to reinstall the client fresh :'(, finally it worked.

FWIW the frame rate on the log in scree is now 120 fps, was originally 60, this is why the mouse is so fast probably, hopefully this means the actual game will be locked at 120 fps aswell.

Jinko said:
FWIW the frame rate on the log in scree is now 120 fps, was originally 60, this is why the mouse is so fast probably, hopefully this means the actual game will be locked at 120 fps aswell.

They probably just doubled the FPS. So where before it was 60FPS at start and character select and 30 in game it'll now be 120FPS at those screens and 60 in game.

Still a big improvement. Looking forward to playing tomorrow.

Munba

First off, I would like to thank all testers for participating in phase 2 of the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test!

The development team sincerely appreciates all of the feedback, positive and negative, as well as all the words of encouragement from testers across the world. We endeavor ever forward with all of your voices in mind.

We are also excited about entering the third phase of beta testing! We intend to have the new content first checked by testers who participated in phase 2, and then increase the number of testers as time goes on. We are continuing to address the server load issues that many testers have brought to our attention. The official launch will be built upon a solid foundation of ongoing stress tests.

Following is a selection of what is in store for the third phase of beta testing.

–Improvements to the battle system
We overhauled the user interface and basic system for Beta 1. We will, however, continue making changes to eke the greatest possible enjoyment out of the system. Rather than explaining every detail, it’s probably better for you to experience it for yourself. Enjoy!

–Adjustments to character growth
We relayed in a previous announcement our plan to increase the merits of participating in levequests, particularly while in a party. Beginning with this phase, the amount of skill points that characters gain through levequests will be far greater than what they would gain attacking monsters on the field. Further adjustments will be made based on your feedback during Beta 3.

–Improvements to mouse controls
We’ve received plenty of feedback on mouse controls from testers who are seasoned PC gamers. Because we tried to ensure our control scheme worked across every type of device, we simply ended up providing a level of mouse control unsatisfactory to those testers. But we are happy to announce that we’ve made some major improvements to the movement and camera controls. Try them out and let us know what you think.

–Implementation of new Disciples of the Hand and Disciples of the Land classes
Now that we have ready for use all of the announced classes, we are one step closer to fulfilling all the items we promised to provide. We’ve reinstated local levequests with this phase, and with that, we hope to see an increased number of Disciples of the Hand. Some testers reported that there were not enough Disciples of the Hand testers to repair their items during Beta 2. We will keep an eye on this aspect during Beta 3 and make the proper adjustments according to your feedback.

–Implementation of linkshells
Linkshells (also known in FINAL FANTASY XIV as “companies” and similar to “guilds” found in other online games) will be implemented in Beta 3. Most FINAL FANTASY XI players will already be familiar with how linkshells work. Please test them out by inviting your friends and be sure to let us know what you think.

–Implementation of player macros and the auto-translate function
With macros, players will be able to execute multiple actions with one command, and automatically set their actions and equipment when changing classes. We understand the system still requires some tweaks, but we decided to implement the system in Beta 3 because it’s such an essential feature for testers to fully enjoy their experience.

These above are the major additions and adjustments for this version update. There are plenty more other than what I’ve pointed out, so we hope you will get a good feel for them, too.

Here’s to seeing the same great level of feedback and support during phase 3!

FINAL FANTASY XIV Director
Nobuaki Komoto

Mmh so the linkshells are the companies now? Hope in this case the new LS will have the features they mentioned in the interviews..

Jinko

Some good stuff there, no mention of the horrible retainer system or AH though, I would go gatherer if I knew I could sell my items lol.

Munba

Londa said:
odd, now linkshells are called companies. I thought that they were two different things :lol

Company should be the 'high-level' status of a Linkshell but with that statement i'm confused now.

Jinko

The way they originally explaining it sounded like companies would be an alliance between linkshells.

I guess it was either bad translation or they changed their minds.

Khrno

Maybe there is a system that allows you to have different groups under a same company, it could be like having branches or permissions, for example with the same company you can make a branch just for "Dynamis", so you are still under the same company and the people you invite will only have access to the Dynamis branch; or the sacks and leaders would have access to a private branch just to discuss stuff between themselves, like in a forum.

Munba

Members of the Fishermen’s Guild will find that they are able to engage in either of two activities-fishing, made possible through use of a fisher’s primary tools, and spearfishing, made possible by secondary tools. Please be aware that even with fisher as the active class, a player will not be able to engage in spearfishing without the proper secondary tool equipped.

Fishing
1. Approach a waterside where fishing is possible and select Fish from the Interactions menu.
2. The fishing process will begin. In some cases, you may be unable to fish even though the Fish command has appeared.
3. There are schools of fish from which you will be unable to fish after fishing several times. This restriction only applies to schools of fish.
4. If you do not have bait or lures on hand, the chances of catching any fish will be greatly reduced.

Spearfishing
1. Approach shallow waters and select Spearfish from the Interactions menu.
2. You will make a single attempt at spearfishing. If you pull something from the waters, you can find another place to spearfish nearby. If you don’t find anything in the waters, you can try spearfishing again in the same place.
3. After spearfishing in the same place several times, you will no longer be able to spearfish there for a while.
4. Find another place to spearfish!

I'm curious to see the fishing mini-game this time. The FF11 one was sweet.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
New update

On Aug. 10, 2010 at approximately 5:09 (PDT), a new update for the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version went live. The software client will begin updating automatically the next time you run the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version.

We ask you to perform all relevant version updates before the start of Beta Test phase 3 (Beta 3) and look forward to hearing your feedback.

is big?

Londa

Banned
Jinko said:
The way they originally explaining it sounded like companies would be an alliance between linkshells.

I guess it was either bad translation or they changed their minds.

Yeah, I guess we will find out tomorrow what is what.

Q. Do you intend to have things like guilds and guild banks for people to share?
A. For FFXI there was Linkshells and for FFXIV we will have Linkshells as well along with something like a higher level Linkshell system called a Company. In this Company, things you do will affect things you own in the game. Also, larger Companies will be able to have something like a community website that is more personalized that will display stats. There will be more information about this Company later on in development.

–Are the linkshells going to work the same as FFXI’s linkshells?

Tanaka: Yes. However, there is going to be a broader level of community building as well and a lot of different things will be built into that system.

SE should stop confusing us with interviews like this and then putting in offical notes that Linkshell = Company.

I just realized that it saids companies will affect things you own in the game... mind blown..

Gromph said:
New update

On Aug. 10, 2010 at approximately 5:09 (PDT), a new update for the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version went live. The software client will begin updating automatically the next time you run the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version.

We ask you to perform all relevant version updates before the start of Beta Test phase 3 (Beta 3) and look forward to hearing your feedback.

is big?

lol another update. Gromph will save the day! :D

Members of the Fishermen’s Guild will find that they are able to engage in either of two activities-fishing, made possible through use of a fisher’s primary tools, and spearfishing, made possible by secondary tools. Please be aware that even with fisher as the active class, a player will not be able to engage in spearfishing without the proper secondary tool equipped.

Fishing
1. Approach a waterside where fishing is possible and select Fish from the Interactions menu.
2. The fishing process will begin. In some cases, you may be unable to fish even though the Fish command has appeared.
3. There are schools of fish from which you will be unable to fish after fishing several times. This restriction only applies to schools of fish.
4. If you do not have bait or lures on hand, the chances of catching any fish will be greatly reduced.

Spearfishing
1. Approach shallow waters and select Spearfish from the Interactions menu.
2. You will make a single attempt at spearfishing. If you pull something from the waters, you can find another place to spearfish nearby. If you don’t find anything in the waters, you can try spearfishing again in the same place.
3. After spearfishing in the same place several times, you will no longer be able to spearfish there for a while.
4. Find another place to spearfish!

I really love how all jobs have a second option when doing things. It makes it really feel like a nextgen MMO.

You can even equip actions to your secondary hand or you main hand. I never tried it with an axe beacause axes are a two handed weapon.

Salaadin

Another update? Shit. I couldve started that before I left for work :(

I think today is going to drag since Im looking forward to tomorrow.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ah fishing. Something tells me SE will overlook something key about the "class" (ugh, so lame)) which will allow gil farmers and other players to gain a foothold in the economy. Then they will nerf it into the ground. Whee!

Londa

Banned
fishing = it sucks on FFXI it will suck on FFXIV! :lol

RTM will try to take over everything and anything. Expect them to be waiting for the Yellow Jacket to pop. Fishing will not be the soul thing that will help RTM gain a foothold.

Other players gaining a foothold....
I say, so what? If they are paying a monthly fee and aren't botting or selling the gold for real money, who cares? If they want to take their time and focus on fishing or whatever, let them. Its not their fault that others rather exp to the cap than take time to work in other areas of the game so that they aren't relyant on disiples of field and hands for items.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Jinko said:
Check that the Exe files aren't damaged if they are they will have no FF14 logo.

I had this problem when I first installed so it could be that.

I've just had to reinstall the client fresh :'(, finally it worked.

The logo was there on all the exe files. I did a fresh install overnight, and this morning set it up to grab the new updates as I was running out to work. So I guess I'll find out when I get home this evening if it worked or not.

Jinko

I am looking forward to taking advantage of the econemy at the start of the game, its a sure way to make easy money.

Maybe thats a bit shitty but as Londa says some people will want to rush to get to level cap where as others may want to get 4-5 million behind them before they do that.

I found gathering to be kind of addictive and strangely therapeutic, so can see me doing a lot of that.

Salaadin

Jinko said:
I am looking forward to taking advantage of the econemy at the start of the game, its a sure way to make easy money.

Maybe thats a bit shitty but as Londa says some people will want to rush to get to level cap where as others may want to get 4-5 million behind them before they do that.

I found gathering to be kind of addictive and strangely therapeutic, so can see me doing a lot of that.

Thats kinda how I feel. At the start, there will be a lot of people rushing to get the highest level and itd be a good opportunity to make some gil by supplying them with the items that theyll be looking for as they level.

Besides, a lot of my friends are joining up for the PS3 launch and I dont want to jump too far ahead as far as the story goes or anything so I might just use that 6 month jump on them to slowly level a DoW job (Marauder probably) but save up cash with a DoL or DoH job (probably Miner/Blacksmith)

gillty

Banned
Regarding Phase 3 of Beta Testing

First off, I would like to thank all testers for participating in phase 2 of the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test!

The development team sincerely appreciates all of the feedback, positive and negative, as well as all the words of encouragement from testers across the world. We endeavor ever forward with all of your voices in mind.

We are also excited about entering the third phase of beta testing! We intend to have the new content first checked by testers who participated in phase 2, and then increase the number of testers as time goes on. We are continuing to address the server load issues that many testers have brought to our attention. The official launch will be built upon a solid foundation of ongoing stress tests.

Following is a selection of what is in store for the third phase of beta testing.

–Improvements to the battle system
We overhauled the user interface and basic system for Beta 1. We will, however, continue making changes to eke the greatest possible enjoyment out of the system. Rather than explaining every detail, it’s probably better for you to experience it for yourself. Enjoy!

–Adjustments to character growth
We relayed in a previous announcement our plan to increase the merits of participating in levequests, particularly while in a party. Beginning with this phase, the amount of skill points that characters gain through levequests will be far greater than what they would gain attacking monsters on the field. Further adjustments will be made based on your feedback during Beta 3.

–Improvements to mouse controls
We’ve received plenty of feedback on mouse controls from testers who are seasoned PC gamers. Because we tried to ensure our control scheme worked across every type of device, we simply ended up providing a level of mouse control unsatisfactory to those testers. But we are happy to announce that we’ve made some major improvements to the movement and camera controls. Try them out and let us know what you think.

–Implementation of new Disciples of the Hand and Disciples of the Land classes
Now that we have ready for use all of the announced classes, we are one step closer to fulfilling all the items we promised to provide. We’ve reinstated local levequests with this phase, and with that, we hope to see an increased number of Disciples of the Hand. Some testers reported that there were not enough Disciples of the Hand testers to repair their items during Beta 2. We will keep an eye on this aspect during Beta 3 and make the proper adjustments according to your feedback.

–Implementation of linkshells
Linkshells (also known in FINAL FANTASY XIV as “companies” and similar to “guilds” found in other online games) will be implemented in Beta 3. Most FINAL FANTASY XI players will already be familiar with how linkshells work. Please test them out by inviting your friends and be sure to let us know what you think.

–Implementation of player macros and the auto-translate function
With macros, players will be able to execute multiple actions with one command, and automatically set their actions and equipment when changing classes. We understand the system still requires some tweaks, but we decided to implement the system in Beta 3 because it’s such an essential feature for testers to fully enjoy their experience.

These above are the major additions and adjustments for this version update. There are plenty more other than what I’ve pointed out, so we hope you will get a good feel for them, too.

Here’s to seeing the same great level of feedback and support during phase 3!

FINAL FANTASY XIV Director
Nobuaki Komoto
exciting :D

Londa

Banned
Jinko said:

Which I will be doing. The crafting and gathering is actually 5 times more fun than XI's.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Okay so I got my FFXIV rig all built up, and it's insane! i5 760, HD5870 and 4GB ram.

I got 4800 and something from the benchmark on High. Shit is cash.

I.

CAN'T.

WAIT.

Salaadin

Osaka said:
Okay so I got my FFXIV rig all built up, and it's insane! i5 760, HD5870 and 4GB ram.

I got 4800 and something from the benchmark on High. Shit is cash.

I.

CAN'T.

WAIT.

Your build is close to mine (i5 750, HD5850, and 4GBs RAM). I get a 4000 on the benchmark and I can run the game at a solid 30FPS in most parts. Only hitches near water or in populated areas but quickly catches itself up. I honestly dont think Id even notice the hitches if I didnt have FRAPs running.

I do hope they ditch that FPS cap now. I hope someone can confirm it right away.

yeah.. that framerate cap is a buzzkill.. I can't help but think that a card like a 5870 could run the game much faster than 30 fps.. my card is hardly working when the game is running..

Salaadin

Robobandit said:
yeah.. that framerate cap is a buzzkill.. I can't help but think that a card like a 5870 could run the game much faster than 30 fps.. my card is hardly working when the game is running..

Yeah, it really needs removing. In the benchmark, I was hitting 90FPS at times. I want that in the actual game!!

Kandinsky said:
It wont get removed, unless they go ahead and have PC exclusive servers or something.

Sadly, I think you're correct.

I don't see why they don't allow PC users to enjoy the game to the best of their machine's ability.. unless they are planning on having a pvp focus..

Jinko

I don't see the difference now, there is no way the PS3 will run this at 60 fps, unless of course they have a double multiplier of some kind on the PC to make it sync easier with the PS3 version.

Either way if the in game frame rate is 60 fps then its a good sign that we aren't going to be held back by the console this time so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom