• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaneDS

Salaadin said:
How is the overall menu speed now? Before, adding points and accessing equipment screens felt slow.

Still very slow and I seem to get an error when trying to access skills the first time, just like phase 2.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
LaneDS said:
It's a shame because in instanced settings the game runs beautifully and controls nicely. It's just when there's a ton of people around it goes to shit really quickly. My issues with the stamina bar being useless are still present (cooldowns on actions mean you can't expend all your stamina and it might as well auto-attack for you in most cases early on).

I'm having a problem where I would attack a mob...and then I can't attack back. The mob attacks me, then its dead because I was spamming 1 and it finally went through but came up "action not allowed" or whatever it is.

The controls right now are absolute piss. Just fucking awful. Seriously, the game is FFXI-2. Why not have the option to just use those controls while getting the others right? Especially if they can't get mouse controls right.

Also, minimap is weird. Why doesn't it rotate with you again?

LaneDS

The fanfare blaring every five seconds is super annoying. I'm sure that'll get changed, but wow, how did that not get caught?

Also ~5,000xp for a 1 star levequest kill and ~6,000xp for a 6 star levequest kill. Not worth it, considering you can actually be killed doing it on 6 stars (a nice change from phase 2 at least).

Kandinsky

So i didnt get anything at lvl 2 nor lvl 4, and im seeing these guild npcs that sell abilities for Guild Marks, that means we have to buy them now?:lol

Teknoman

Kintaro said:
I'm having a problem where I would attack a mob...and then I can't attack back. The mob attacks me, then its dead because I was spamming 1 and it finally went through but came up "action not allowed" or whatever it is.

The controls right now are absolute piss. Just fucking awful. Seriously, the game is FFXI-2. Why not have the option to just use those controls while getting the others right? Especially if they can't get mouse controls right.

Also, minimap is weird. Why doesn't it rotate with you again?

Yeah I think the attack problem has to do with server load, same thing happened to me awhile ago. As far as controls go, I think the only difference with the numpad side of things is that the arrows arent used for the camera? Guess its time to submit alot of feedback (I cant post yet for some reason).

Jinko said:
Tek do you mind making the linkshell ? message me in game Jinko Jinko.

Got it.

LaneDS

Kandinsky said:
So i didnt get anything at lvl 2 nor lvl 4, and im seeing these guild npcs that sell abilities for Guild Marks, that means we have to buy them now?:lol

I saw a bunch of "you learned ability x" but have no way to equip them. So maybe? That'd be pretty terrible, if so.

Also, just ran into the bug you were talking about Kintaro. Couldn't attack at all, but the mobs were happy to KO me. Ran away a bit, re-engaged, and could attack, but at half my life. Died. Good times.

LaneDS

Kandinsky said:
Skills appear if you use mouse to equip them lolz.

Are you serious? Wow.

Three times now on that bug Kintaro mentioned. To fix it, enter passive mode then reactive active mode whilst hoping you don't die.

Kintaro

I'm sorry but I can't play this. Mouse controls are just god awful and since that's the only way to use the camera... =/ No, I'm not hooking up a gamepad to play either.

gillty

Banned
Kintaro said:
I'm sorry but I can't play this. Mouse controls are just god awful and since that's the only way to use the camera... =/ No, I'm not hooking up a gamepad to play either.
IJKL for camera + numpad for movement still works

LaneDS

Skills aren't showing up for me no matter what I do. Logging in and out didn't fix the problem but it did at least play the main menu and character select music continuously, even after logging back into the gameworld. So yes, two songs are playing on top of one another.

At this point my hope for a smooth launch is a distant memory. This is somehow buggier than phase 2 was for me, which is mind boggling.

gillty

Banned
LaneDS said:
Skills aren't showing up for me no matter what I do. Logging in and out didn't fix the problem but it did at least play the main menu and character select music continuously, even after logging back into the gameworld. So yes, two songs are playing on top of one another.

At this point my hope for a smooth launch is a distant memory. This is somehow buggier than phase 2 was for me, which is mind boggling.
use the drop down box to select the class you want to see abilities for

LaneDS

Valru said:
use the drop down box to select the class you want to see abilities for

That fixes that, thanks. Super unintuitive stuff there.

Also, my chat log is now completely empty no matter what I do, both general and battle. And almost every mob I try to fight has the bug where actions aren't performed unless I do them as slowly as possible. Terrible.

Kintaro

I keep getting error messages from windows while playing this Direct X errors and "program quit running" errors. Weird.

Jinko

It's not lag, unless I'm lagging out for over 2 minutes.

Just died because I coudn't attack the monster I was attacking yet it would let me attack something else.

Mouse is still lagging like a motherfucker for me, and i just died to a green con bat because my "skill" won't fire off. Might just be server jank though, fuck it i'm going to bed.

Kintaro

fizzelopeguss said:
You alt tabbing to minimise the window?, that shit always crashed my game.

Nope. Well, I did once, which crashed it (do you ever fucking learn SE? Fucking seriously?). However, when I would log out, I was end up with error messages saying the program crashed.

We ran around and no NPCs would show up. Yeah, not touching this for awhile. I honestly refuse to believe this has been in development for five years.

hgplayer1

Its so funny reading all this negativity right at the start of phase 3. My god it just started! :lol

I just crashed talking to an NPC and not sure I can get back in at the moment.

Thank goodness for linkshells now!

Game seems to be running worse than I remember at the end of phase 2. I hope its just lag but pretty sure Ill be upgrading PC soon.

I might stay away a bit until the weekend to let people spread out a bit but hopefully things get better soon.

To the person who said they were getting over 60 fps away from town.. I can't see how.. there are players everywhere.. my FPS stay below 30 at all times except in cutscenes.. and I have an i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz, a 5870 and 6GB of ram.

LowParry

Robobandit said:
To the person who said they were getting over 60 fps away from town.. I can't see how.. there are players everywhere.. my FPS stay below 30 at all times except in cutscenes.. and I have an i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz, a 5870 and 6GB of ram.

Stay away from the quest nodes. Go explore. It passes 60 easy.

CcrooK said:

Ah. so it's just being in the same zone as other players that does it?

The only area I can even find right now is near bearded rock.. but even when there are only 1 or 2 other players that I can see, my fps take a nosedive.

What area are you going to where things improve? I'd like to try that myself..

LaneDS

CcrooK said:

It really does run beautifully away from other players. Shame it's an MMO!

Robobandit said:
Ah. so it's just being in the same zone as other players that does it?

The only area I can even find right now is near bearded rock.. but even when there are only 1 or 2 other players that I can see, my fps take a nosedive.

What area are you going to where things improve? I'd like to try that myself..

I'm near Skull Rock on Golbez and there's not many people out here. Just pick a direction in that starting zone and run far away from Bearded Rock and it'll run very nicely. Or should.

Kandinsky

Londa said:
Even I want to tear my ears out from the damn level up fanfare
BUT ITS FINE, JUST LIKE FFXI!

Man this game is so slow, everything feels archaic, having to re-equip ammo after a stack is gone, wtfisthisshit.jpg

Edit: I NEED arrows=camera controls D:

desa

I thought it was capped at 30? Did they up it to 60 now? I haven't had time to play for the last few weeks so I don't know what's new, changed, or what have you.

Teknoman

Kandinsky said:
BUT ITS FINE, JUST LIKE FFXI!

Man this game is so slow, everything feels archaic, having to re-equip ammo after a stack is gone, wtfisthisshit.jpg

I dunno about the game being slow, but I cant comment on hunter ranged combat.

Anyway, we've finally got the LS up and running, had a few issues inviting due to what I guess was server load lag? Just R0'd again, so everyone relogged. My guess is that its the huge load of people being invited for phase 3 again :lol

Also you dont have to go really far to get up to 60fps, just go in a cave. Even near alot of people, the framerate will easy hit 40-high 50-low 60.

EDIT: Anyone try to use numpad for movement and the keyboard letters (was it IJKL?) for camera control? Seems like that would be comfortable. Cant really comment on that either since i've been using 360 gamepad.

Anyway Mika Drakon is the LS leader if you want an invite.

desa said:
I thought it was capped at 30? Did they up it to 60 now? I haven't had time to play for the last few weeks so I don't know what's new, changed, or what have you.

• Framerate cap has been removed.
  • More graphics options have been added
  • Controller config has changed to allow macros, not sure how item usage works now
  • All attack animations have been changed to look like...actual attacks :lol and critical strikes show up as a different animation with a minor screen shake.
  • Nothing so far with the MP regen issue
  • Linkshells (Companies) were added and use shields with different colors and designs as icons
  • more equipment, npcs, quests, and leves have been added
  • Guild npcs for each discipline have been added, and sell stuff for guildmarks (special currency points) but im not sure if they are normal skills or just special additional stuff...especially since the names are just displayed as programming code for me.

Kintaro

So...which part of the game are we testing exactly? Just one of the towns? Weren't there more starting towns/cities? If so, will these not be tested? Just how limited in scope is this beta test a month before launch? =/

Teknoman

Well people said that at the beginning of each new phase, yet a ton of stuff gets added/improved each time. Im sure it'll be just fine...as long as they keep listening to the tons of feedback...and add some way to regen MP (aside from lowering the cost of ether).

Kintaro said:
So...which part of the game are we testing exactly? Just one of the towns? Weren't there more starting towns/cities? If so, will these not be tested? Just how limited in scope is this beta test a month before launch? =/

I dont think the other towns really need testing (would be nice though) as long as the basic necessary gameplay mechanics are working as intended. There has never been anything wrong with Limsa itself or the environment, just stuff with the gameplay and graphics.

So far it seems like we're testing max server load, combat mechanics, party mechanics, system compatibility/performance, and basic gameplay necessities (chat modes, etc.)

EDIT: And the high exp, I think its only during guild leves? Were the rewards themselves any different for higher difficulty (aside from exp)?

Kandinsky

Teknoman said:
Well people said that at the beginning of each new phase, yet a ton of stuff gets added/improved each time. Im sure it'll be just fine...as long as they keep listening to the tons of feedback...and add some way to regen MP (aside from lowering the cost of ether).
Are you serious?

Teknoman

Kandinsky said:
Are you serious?

Well what else is a complete mess aside from no decent way to recover MP without items/ no hardware cursor for when using WoW style controls? I'm not saying there isnt anything to fix, but it keeps improving by alot each phase/during phases, and isnt some complete disaster.

Teknoman said:
The scrolling speed of the map has been improved.

en_beta3vu_02.jpg

Certain NPCs have been given a unique chat window.
Beautiful.

Now getting over 100 fps in areas away from the camps..

I needed to disable ambient occlusion and depth of field.. those two alone took me from 25 fps to 106 fps..

I actually prefer it without depth of field.. that gives it such a claustrophobic feel..

chris-013

Impressive I can play with the mouse ! Ye really I can control perfectly the camera with the mouse.

The graphics are even better now and the game run better. So far nothing to complain. :lol

Kandinsky

Teknoman said:
Well what else is a complete mess aside from no decent way to recover MP without items/ no hardware cursor for when using WoW style controls? I'm not saying there isnt anything to fix, but it keeps improving by alot each phase/during phases, and isnt some complete disaster.
Do you honestly think thats the only thing wrong with this game atm? seriously?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom