• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Framerate cap is still in-game.. just not during cutscenes.. at least, that's what it seems like now..

I'd know for sure if I could get into the starting area..

Mouse control has a few unexplained lags.. but is much smoother now..

I can't get text commands to work, it could be due to the loading glitch, though.

Alex

I'd much rather have 30 FPS than any excessive screen tearing, in an MMO especially. But what's better would be... both! I have faith they'll get it sorted out in the end, they seem more on the up and up with configuration this time.

Kandinsky said:

I'm going to have to agree with some caution still though it's nice to see some improvements.

Still, In this stage they should really be working on tuning, balancing and various system expansion. Instead, after a giant gap of time, they've released a rather small patch in late beta that reads like early alpha notes.

I don't know if I count as one of the hater pool, as I've got it reserved and have been waiting for it for years, but I certainly don't feel less worried at the moment seeing patches 40 days before release complete omit tuning and adding so much basic framework into the game

However, the game seems on the right track, always has, but again it just sounds too early, MMOs are never done but there is such a thing as just being too green. It's going for the same type of skeleton release FFXI JP went for and that will be aggravating in a 2010 release if Square goes lax on their live team again.

Still think they should have just done the whole shebang in March. I think six months would afford them some really valuable development and extra testing, though I'm confident they won't wind up with some complete flub like a Funcom MMO launch at least.

More focused, what is going on with the Battle Regiments and the caster tweaks? This is the stuff that especially worries me most and WOULD be Funcom-esque to not make it in before launch :lol

Londa

Banned
notworksafe said:
Hm. I can't wait to check this out when I get off work. Of course I was only getting 30 FPS max on my laptop anyway but I'm curious what else has changed.

Surprised at the lack of a FPS cap though. I figured SQE would be holding back because of the PS3 version.

Not sure why. Square turned a rough beta into the way a PC game in this year should work. The people "dissing" the game were doing what most people would call "testing" and "giving feedback". Thank god Square decided to actually listen.

open mouth insert hat.

Jinko

Linkshell icons looks better than FF11, noticed they have icons for untradeable equip now.

Anyone getting a bug in the journal when selecting the drop down box with a control pad ?

LowParry

Yeah, once you get outside of town, passes 30FPS easily. Cap is at 60 it looks like now.

Edit: no wait, past 60. Even better. :D

Alex

I'll be really surprised if there isn't some sort of cap in place for framerate, as I believe they tried to justify it before in XI through HNM practices, didn't they? Unfair to consoles and lower spec users and whatnot.

Seeing as there isn't a snowballs chance in hell of the PS3 version exceeding 30 FPS, it'd probably take a philosophy change to get it done differently in-game.

Edit: nevermind then! That is very good that the PS3 is already less of a ball and chain than the PS2 was.

Londa

Banned
Teknoman said:
Pick a cool crest Gromph.

Oh and patch location:

Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\patch

I put Gromphs patches in but I still download from the begining. Can someone help?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Huh, I was seeing Tekno and Mikachan talking but no clue how to talk back. I couldn't tell if I was in a party or not. Mouse control on fullscreen is pure shit atm.

LaneDS

Londa said:
open mouth insert hat.

You're awfully quick to say the game is magically awesome after 40 minutes of phase 3 being up!

Anyway, trying it with KB/Mouse this time, and it's already much improved. Not great yet, but at least it seems like an option. Will probably switch back to the DS3 after a bit more time with it.

Vesper73

I WILL eat my hat if they get shadows on all objects, (as opposed to only character shadows). *crosses fingers

Screenshots with Shadow Detail on 'Highest' Both on Nvidia and ATI!

Thanks all!

*still no beta invite :*(

Londa

Banned
I like how no one remembers saying that it was impossible to fix mouse controls or to fix the fraps and lag. . Same people also wondered if there would be more guild leves.

LaneDS

Game crashed when I logged out. Brilliant.

I at least convinced someone that phase 3 consists of the boat and the dock before doing so (me and who knows how many people were stuck there waiting for Hob to not load to let us move on), so that part was fun.

Londa said:
I like how no one remembers saying that it was impossible to fix mouse controls or to fix the fraps and lag. . Same people also wondered if there would be more guild leves.

I'm pretty convinced you're playing a different game at this point.

Jinko

So is Gromph on by any chance ?

I'm getting a lot more slow down than in phase 2, having to scale my settings back.

Kandinsky

Londa said:
Mouse control are shiiiiiiiit atm.

Edit: Ok so who is starting the gaf shell?

gillty

Banned
–Improvements to mouse controls
We’ve received plenty of feedback on mouse controls from testers who are seasoned PC gamers. Because we tried to ensure our control scheme worked across every type of device, we simply ended up providing a level of mouse control unsatisfactory to those testers. But we are happy to announce that we’ve made some major improvements to the movement and camera controls. Try them out and let us know what you think.
what bs, mouse controls are still shit.

Mouse controls are less shitty than they were in phase 1 and 2.. but they aren't where they need to be.

The camera control specifically is much better than it was.. but it still feels awkward and floaty trying to click on stuff.

It's hard to play until they sort out the npc issues.. I got booted out of a cutscene and back to the start.. think I'll wait for things to die down a bit..

Vesper73

Is it impossible atm to have a World of Warcraft mouse/wasd movement and camera scheme? I have a few friends on the fence about FFXIV, and the mouse/key controls are gonna be a deciding factor.

LaneDS

Vesper73 said:
Is it impossible atm to have a World of Warcraft mouse/wasd movement and camera scheme? I have a few friends on the fence about FFXIV, and the mouse/key controls are gonna be a deciding factor.

It now works like WoW, just... poorly. Hold right mouse button to move camera around, move with WSAD (and strafe with Q and E). I didn't mind it on the boat at least, but in a crowded area the lack of a hardware cursor really shows and it was pretty much unusable then.

Menus still lag horribly, which is a shame. Trying another character on another server to see if I can get past old non-spawning Hob.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Mouse control is a fucking piece of shit. Is there no option to control this like FFXI? Arrows for camera?

Also, guess server crashed cuz I was auto running like Forrest Gump....forever.

Teknoman

Ok:

New attacking animations are pretty nice looking. Different attack strikes for critical too. Everything at highest except shadows (high) and AA (none), extra settings off and I get around 40-50 fps away from huge crowds of people.

The NPC exclusive chat windows are nice and since they are centered, you dont miss NPC animations while reading. Theres a fanfare theme added when leveling now and a visual indicator, however now you can hear EVERYONE around you when they level up. Not just the noise, but the actual fanfare :lol That needs to be fixed asap.

Getting a ton of exp from guildleves now. Solo "My first adventure" leveled me from 1 to 4.

The reason why Hob wasnt loading is because there were hundreds of people already standing around talking to him. Not sure why that caused it not to appear for everyone, but NPCs should always load first.

Oh and if Gromph isnt on, I guess someone else could make it?

Also I thought they changed the controls to work with numpad movement now:

Numpad 8 Move character forward Move character forward
Numpad 2 Move character back Move character back
Numpad 4 Move character left Turn left
Numpad 6 Move character right Turn right
Numpad 9 Zoom in camera Zoom in camera
Numpad 3 Zoom out camera Zoom out camera
Numpad 7 Toggle auto-run on/off Toggle auto-run on/off
Numpad 0 Cycle through targets (forward) Cycle through targets (forward)
Numpad 5 Toggle between camera modes Toggle between camera modes
Numpad 1 Toggle between walk/run Toggle between walk/run
Numpad - Open/Close main menu Open/Close main menu
Numpad * Lock on/off a target Lock on/off a target

Currently, we are experiencing technical difficulties with FINAL FANTASY XIV where players are unable to progress with the instanced areas in Limsa Lominsa. The issue is currently being addressed, and new updates will follow as additional information becomes available.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

[Date & Time]
Aug. 10, 2010 from 19:00 (PDT)

[Details]
Unable to progress with the instanced areas in Limsa Lominsa

[Cause]
Under investigation

[Affected Services]
FINAL FANTASY XIV

The problem is, too many people in the same spot at the same time.

LaneDS

It's a shame because in instanced settings the game runs beautifully and controls nicely. It's just when there's a ton of people around it goes to shit really quickly. My issues with the stamina bar being useless are still present (cooldowns on actions mean you can't expend all your stamina and it might as well auto-attack for you in most cases early on).

Time to see if Hob will load on Golbez.

Teknoman

LaneDS said:
It's a shame because in instanced settings the game runs beautifully and controls nicely. It's just when there's a ton of people around it goes to shit really quickly. My issues with the stamina bar being useless are still present (cooldowns on actions mean you can't expend all your stamina and it might as well auto-attack for you in most cases early on).

Time to see if Hob will load on Golbez.

Its the same problem everywhere. Its just that there are tons of people surrounding the guy. You just have to keep running towards him, and eventually he'll stay on your screen.

Menu seems to pop up faster for me, but the map still scrolls kinda slow.

Vesper73

Teknoman said:
Ok:

New attacking animations are pretty nice looking. Different attack strikes for critical too. Everything at highest except shadows (high) and AA (none), extra settings off and I get around 40-50 fps away from huge crowds of people.

Hey Tek, can you tell me what the difference is between shadows (high) and (highest) atm? Is it just shadow resolution, or does it actually add more shadows?

Thanks!

LaneDS

Teknoman said:
Its the same problem everywhere. Its just that there are tons of people surrounding the guy. You just have to keep running towards him, and eventually he'll stay on your screen.

Menu seems to pop up faster for me, but the map still scrolls kinda slow.

Had no issues on Golbez. On Shadowlord if I moved three feet (where he should have been), the instance was reset. I'll poke around on here for now, just want to get a feel for what has changed tonight.

On a positive note, I am still in awe of the character models and the storytelling. Really impressive and expressive, perhaps moreso than before (I can't recall). Seeing your player character emote accordingly is quite something.

Teknoman

Vesper73 said:
Hey Tek, can you tell me what the difference is between shadows (high) and (highest) atm? Is it just shadow resolution, or does it actually add more shadows?

Thanks!

It seems like it adds more shadows.

LaneDS said:
Had no issues on Golbez. On Shadowlord if I moved three feet (where he should have been), the instance was reset. I'll poke around on here for now, just want to get a feel for what has changed tonight.

On a positive note, I am still in awe of the character models and the storytelling. Really impressive and expressive, perhaps moreso than before (I can't recall). Seeing your player character emote accordingly is quite something.

So then its just servers with really high population at the moment?

LaneDS

Teknoman said:
So then its just servers with really high population at the moment?

Seems that might be it.

And my goodness, they need to fix the everyone hears the fanfare business. I heard it five times approaching Bearded Rock for the first time. That is not a very long run, mind you.

Kintaro said:
Mouse control is a fucking piece of shit. Is there no option to control this like FFXI? Arrows for camera?

Also, guess server crashed cuz I was auto running like Forrest Gump....forever.

This is all I want. WASD to move, arrows for camera was perfect for me. Has this been brought up on the beta site? I don't have access..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom