• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kandinsky

Ravidrath said:
It's like MMM - you can only personally initiate leves every 2 days, but you can do them all day long if you want by joining parties.
Its sad seeing people literally begging for an invite at Aetheryte Crystals, and if this system stays the the same, it will be even worse in retail:lol

Edit: So we should plan on how are we going to do our leves w'e the servers are back up again :D

Alex

Final Fantasy XIV should really have a matchmaking engine, I think WoW is the only MMO with one currently, but powerful ones are becoming the norm in all sorts of games from all sizes of developers.

They're very difficult to code properly, and take lots of revision, feedback and more detailed beta cycles, so I knew it wouldn't, but it's still a goofyomission for a sequel to a game that suffered maddeningly at times with LFG issues, even when you had a friend or two in tow and make your own groups like I did.

As for some of the mystery and vagueness, it's part of the charm, IMO. Vana'diel was a really great world design, very dangerous, very mysterious. Kind of like classical UO but without the ganking! It was great fun to explore. I always had such a ball doing coffers for my AF back in the day. What a rush.

Sometimes they go a bit too far and you wind up with strategy guide/FAQ fodder which is not fun in A GAME WHERE YOU CANNOT TAB OUT, but I assume that'll ultimately be better

Salaadin

I need to use Gromphs Square Eix.rar to install this. Do i download setup.exe first, install the game, then just replace the folder with the one in Square Enix.rar?

jiggle

Ravidrath said:
It's like MMM - you can only personally initiate leves every 2 days, but you can do them all day long if you want by joining parties.

but why make these quests soloable(and oh so fun to do so)
and then force us back into pt again

even they said guildleve is the big attraction with XIV
this just seems...counter productive

Salaadin said:
I need to use Gromphs Square Eix.rar to install this. Do i download setup.exe first, install the game, then just replace the folder with the one in Square Enix.rar?

actually u can just run the game out of it with ffxivboot.exe

Teknoman

Ravidrath said:

As long as they eventually balance soloing, guildleves (which were supposed to just be a solo exp boost, with extra difficulties for parties) and normal party exp.

Unless they end up going to WoW path where you just need a party to do dungeons, boss fights, and certain quests (at least thats how it was when I played it for awhile).

Oh and XIV has a matchmaking engine with the new party search/recruit...but its a little strange to use at the moment. You can either put up party recruitment settings/how long you want to party/ wear, or you can search for parties in the area, or by that persons name.

Problem is, people might not just want someone to randomly pop into their party (if thats how it works, not sure if it needs confirmation from the leader).

That is what you meant right? Or were you talking about that thing where people stood by instances?

EDIT: Honestly i'd be just fine if I could solo/party for leves and then go exp party after that...but yeah other players might try and just cycle people through who have leve access for that certain rank.

Alex

That just sounds like a token tack on to the the clumsy stuff they had in XI. I never expected Square to be tech savvy enough to implement inter-server technology, especially worldwide, which is a strech (although they prob have all the servers in Japan again) , but they should make grouping up a lot better.

Not that it likely matters considering the state of grouping itself. I guess I would feel lucky just to have the very bare essentials up and working in a non-busted state by launch

gillty

Banned
Alex said:
That just sounds like a token tack on to the the clumsy stuff they had in XI. I never expected Square to be tech savvy enough to implement inter-server technology, especially worldwide, which is a strech (although they prob have all the servers in Japan again) , but they should make grouping up a lot better.

Not that it likely matters considering the state of grouping itself. I guess I would feel lucky just to have the very bare essentials up and working in a non-busted state by launch
Its just a bunch of seed boxes and a torrent, more than likely peoples problems are with unconfigured routers or ISPs traffic shaping.

Teknoman

Alex said:
Sometimes they go a bit too far and you wind up with strategy guide/FAQ fodder which is not fun in A GAME WHERE YOU CANNOT TAB OUT, but I assume that'll ultimately be better

Shouldnt be that hard these days since the journal is really detailed. The npcs even add markers at times.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Yes!!!!

The FINAL FANTASY XIV beta test was temporarily suspended due to an issue where the servers for certain areas would go down on numerous occasions. However, we are pleased to announce that the issue has been resolved and the beta test will be reinstated as of Aug. 13, 2010 at 2:20 (PDT).

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Huge patch?

LowParry

Hrm. Strange. I was able to exchange Leves right from the get go on this new toon. Are the times universal with the two days or...this new?

LowParry

Nakazato said:
THERE IS A GOD !!!!!!! :lol :lol

Im on now and i think i see gil sellers :\

Honestly, I don't think it's going to be that bad with this game at all. I hope.

I'm just trying to figure out where to get the tools for weaving, mining and goldsmithing. Unless the hammer is used for goldsmithing and other things, I need to get familiar with the crafting system. Any guides out there?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
CcrooK said:
Honestly, I don't think it's going to be that bad with this game at all. I hope.

I'm just trying to figure out where to get the tools for weaving, mining and goldsmithing. Unless the hammer is used for goldsmithing and other things, I need to get familiar with the crafting system. Any guides out there?

Hawker Ally, and guilds to buy the weapons.

carlo6529

CcrooK said:

Can you be a weaver and a goldsmith? I thought you could only have one crafting class?

Londa

Banned
carlo6529 said:
Can you be a weaver and a goldsmith? I thought you could only have one crafting class?

No you can be whatever crafts you want because its the tool that makes you the crafter. Not sure where you are getting this information from.

LowParry

Eh, text must of been yellow on that item. Shoes. Blah.

Edit: Fuck! Right in the middle of a Leve and it appears the server is going down. FML.

asdad123

Fuuuuuuuu.... I was able to create my character at 7 this morning and play for like 5 minutes but now I'm at work.

Hopefully it's still up when i get out.

LowParry

asdad123 said:
Fuuuuuuuu.... I was able to create my character at 7 this morning and play for like 5 minutes but now I'm at work.

Hopefully it's still up when i get out.

Naw, I guess I lagged out or something. Pretty damn stupid if you're in the middle of a Leve and you disconnect, that Leve is done.

Crafting. Time consuming. Not so much the process but having to slllllllowly scroll through your items. Weaving's pretty easy. Probably work some with that today with what funds I have. Though I may have to look into another harvesting/gathering aspect for free cloth to use.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
LeMaximilian said:
Damn, where the heck am I supposed to get a shield? And is there a gladiator guild anywhere round nyah?

Craft it yourself...seems to be the message SE is giving. SE is going to have to work on better introducing things to the player because they really throw you to the wolves in terms of equipment and poorly explained directions. It is going to shut a lot of potential people out if it goes like this during launch.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Kintaro said:
Craft it yourself...seems to be the message SE is giving. SE is going to have to work on better introducing things to the player because they really throw you to the wolves in terms of equipment and poorly explained directions. It is going to shut a lot of potential people out if it goes like this during launch.

Kind of agree. Seems ridiculous that I can't just spend the money I have at a shop.

hitsugi

LeMaximilian said:
Kind of agree. Seems ridiculous that I can't just spend the money I have at a shop.

how did FFXI work in it's earliest days? people made those lower level items or got them as drops right?

hgplayer1

In phase 2 there were shields in some of the shops. Maybe they took them out of the shops to force crafting or something but it seems obvious they are experimenting with things.

I'm anticipating with great certainty that there will be lowbie armor and weapons in the shops when the game launches. Now if the selection is similar to the way it is in XI you may have armor or weapons more prevelant in one starting city versus another.

Either that or leves will reward enough armor to get started. I hope crafting is not a primary means of obtaining armor cause I hate crafting in general. :lol

Londa

Banned
Kintaro said:

Yeah lets forget the free starter gear we get before we even set foot in the starter city. :D

Oh and I forgot that this is a beta test and they remove things so that it forces people to test other parts of the game. I forgot that crafting wasn't being tested much in Beta2. Maybe they removed gear so that I could test crafting? I don't know, seems really douchy of SE to make me test their game for free. I wanna have fun!

hitsugi

Londa said:
Yeah lets forget the free starter gear we get before we even set foot in the starter city. :D

Oh and I forgot that this is a beta test and they remove things so that it forces people to test other parts of the game. I forgot that crafting wasn't being tested much in Beta2. Maybe they removed gear so that I could test crafting? I don't know, seems really douchy of SE to make me test their game for free. I wanna have fun!

just about every reply you've made in this thread has been hilarious :lol

hgplayer1

Londa said:

they aint forcing me to craft shit!

Ill go hungry and fight naked before I start crafting my own stuff. Dorps FTW!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Londa said:

Look man. If they wanted people to test crafting...TELL THEM TO DO SO. Tell them that this is the point of the phase. Don't just sit there silently if they have a purpose. WTF does that accomplish? Tell them what the fuck you want them to test and people will test it. Don't assume they know because that defeats the purpose.

FFXI gave you basic starter shit too but you needed better shit real fucking quick. Give me a break.

Bottom line is, who fucking know what SE is thinking because they don't say a goddamned word and just leave people out there to flail around. That accomplishes nothing. It's fucking 2010, communicate with your testers.

Khrno

hitsugi said:
just about every reply you've made in this thread has been hilarious :lol

Not nearly as much as those who are crying because SE is not making the game with today standards, I mean, on very easy mode like WoW or Aion, where you don't need to think what to do, you just follow the the arrow to the wildly visible target.

How dare they make the player use their brain while playing a videogame. The nerve, right?

Londa

Banned
hgplayer1 said:
they aint forcing me to craft shit!

Ill go hungry and fight naked before I start crafting my own stuff. Dorps FTW!

This is only exceptable in my parties if you have a hot male character.

Khrno said:
Not nearly as much as those who are crying because SE is not making the game with today standards, I mean, on very easy mode like WoW or Aion, where you don't need to think what to do, you just follow the the arrow to the wildly visible target.

How dare they make the player use their brain while playing a videogame. The nerve, right?

You didn't know? Nerds just wanna have fun! Ooooh Nerds! They wanna have, FUN!

They don't wanna think anymore! that is so 2003.

Shouta

Khrno said:

Player-friendly != Easy mode.

SE shouldn't be making the same mistakes it did with FFXI.

hitsugi

Khrno said:

Although seeing someone claim Aion is very easy mode makes me want to rage, I won't.

I think people understand that FFXIV is still a beta, but for something that is being released in a month.. it's got a ways to go when compared to how deep FFXI's beta went. So far, anyway.

..and yes, I'm aware that FFXI previously existed on PS2 before the PC beta hit.

Shouta said:
Player-friendly != Easy mode.

SE shouldn't be making the same mistakes it did with FFXI.

Also, this.

Londa

Banned
It wasn't really that bad, It was just a MMO that made you work a little..

Edit: However FFXI today is lame and they are just dumbing down everything to keep players around.

Zalasta

A bit off track here but Aion is easy for the first 30 levels or so until the game pulls the rug from under you and expect you to grind the rest of the way. The first half is very much WoW-like because you can level very fast by going through each and every quests. I got to 44 in less than a month and there were plenty of people that progressed faster.

As for XIV, I'm also a bit concerned, but the fact is SE doesn't do their testing the same as other companies so none of us can really say if they are in fact ready or not for the release in September.

desu

Zalasta said:
As for XIV, I'm also a bit concerned, but the fact is SE doesn't do their testing the same as other companies so none of us can really say if they are in fact ready or not for the release in September.

I can only hope there will be a near final update then for the open beta or close before release, as there is nothing in the world that could get me to play the crap they have been pulling out so far =/.

Londa

Banned
desu said:
I can only hope there will be a near final update then for the open beta or close before release, as there is nothing in the world that could get me to play the crap they have been pulling out so far =/.

I don't know, maybe you might want to test the game so you can give SE feed back to improve the quality of said game. Instead of crying that the game sucks while never saying anything on the testing forums, because SE should have the tech to read players (testers) minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom