• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaneDS

Member
Alex said:
I think XIV has a great deal of potential, but it's distressing that it's going to be so clunky at launch. No one expects perfection from a launch MMO, but I think everyone can agree this needed at least the extra six months in the oven and more communication with the beta players and development. The genre has moved past Everquest, Square needs to realize that.

Boy, I really wish the bolded part of your statement was true. I wholeheartedly agree with everything else you've posted though.

Jinko

Member
Thing is its not even just Alt + Tab its that fucking windows button again... I'm sure all old school FF11 players remember that gem.

Londa

Banned
Mister Zimbu said:
Funny, if I need to find a gem in WoW, I just alt tab.

You know, that thing that every other PC game developer had figured out in 1998.

I was trying to give them a solution not combat with people that want 100% WoW controls.

Wow I have been :lol :lol :lol at work this whole time while reading these comments. Great stuff. Keep it up.

Londa said:
I was trying to give them a solution not combat with people that want 100% WoW controls.

Wow I have been :lol :lol :lol at work this whole time while reading these comments. Great stuff. Keep it up.

Your solution to "I can't look things up without closing the game" is just "close the game when you want to look things up?"

ps, it's not "100% WoW controls" - it's "basic functionality that's been supported in most applications since before Windows 3.1".

notworksafe

Member
Alt+tab is now a WoW control. Better tell all those PC game/application makers that managed to put it in their games/programs before 2004.

hitsugi

Member
notworksafe said:
Alt+tab is now a WoW control. Better tell all those PC game/application makers that managed to put it in their games/programs before 2004.

Blizzard is going to sue and make BILLIONS from this news.

notworksafe said:
Alt+tab is now a WoW control. Better tell all those PC game/application makers that managed to put it in their games/programs before 2004.

If i can't alt+tab out of a game without errors then it makes me worry for the quality of a games coding. Seeing as this is a beta i can live with it....for now.

desu

Member
Londa said:
I was trying to give them a solution not combat with people that want 100% WoW controls.

Wow I have been :lol :lol :lol at work this whole time while reading these comments. Great stuff. Keep it up.

Please keep them, so everyone else of us has something to laugh as well as you're getting more ridiculous every day.

Wondering whats up next from you? Maybe something like, WoW was the reason pcs were developed and playing FF14 on a PC is totally easy mode WoW? Keep it up, I need more to laugh.

notworksafe

Member
hitsugi said:
Blizzard is going to sue and make BILLIONS from this news.
Something tells me they are going to get rich from the whole "using a mouse properly in a PC game" thing too. That is patently a WoW control as well, afterall.

Salaadin

Member
Londa, thats a huge stretch. Alt + Tab has nothing to do with WoW. It has everything to do with the right way of doing things in a videogame
I havent played a PC game released in the past 5 years that doesnt support it other than FFXI and FFXIV. Its ridiculous.

gillty

Banned
JudgeN said:
Can the beta run with the steam overlay on top? Steam has pretty much eliminated my alt + tabing.
it does! if only this browser supported plugins and had tabs.

hgplayer1 said:
so hows the game running today for anyone thats been able to play? still lots of random crashes?
I havent had any crashes since the servers came backup, although I've heard one or two people in the ls have been crashing.

hgplayer1

Member
Valru said:
it does! if only this browser supported plugins and had tabs.

I havent had any crashes since the servers came backup, although I've heard one or two people in the ls have been crashing.

took a quick peek in the beta site forums and it seems people are still getting R0 during leves. is that the common problem with people in the ls?

gillty

Banned
hgplayer1 said:
took a quick peek in the beta site forums and it seems people are still getting R0 during leves. is that the common problem with people in the ls?
like I said I saw one or two people getting these errors frequently, I did 9 guildleves in a row and had no such problems.

Jinko

Member
I have had no R0's since patch but I did get a couple crashes, I have switched to windowed mode and haven't had a crash since.

Salaadin

Member
Someone just emailed me saying that they announced emergency maintenance in game in 25 mins. Can anyone confirm? Its not on the beta site.

asdad123

Member
We're all on shadowlord right?

Also, does this game still have a performance issue with ATI cards? I'm only getting around 20 FPS. My card isn't the best right now because I'm playing on my laptop (Envy 14, i5 450, 5650 OCed to 525/925) but I figured that I would get atleast 30 fps on the lowest settings.

Even at the lowest settings this game looks gorgeous.

Londa

Banned
Mister Zimbu said:
Your solution to "I can't look things up without closing the game" is just "close the game when you want to look things up?"

ps, it's not "100% WoW controls" - it's "basic functionality that's been supported in most applications since before Windows 3.1".

No, I said I close the window not shut off the game genius.

Londa

Banned
notworksafe said:
Alt+tab is now a WoW control. Better tell all those PC game/application makers that managed to put it in their games/programs before 2004.

Never did I say that was a WoW only control. I like how people insist on putting words in my mouth while you all get butt hurt that you can do the same thing you do in WoW. I'm talking about keyboard and mouse controls and how people want crafting in WoW to be in FFXIV. There are many more examples of you guys crying over not having what you are so use to having in a game unrelated to FF.

Salaadin said:
Londa, thats a huge stretch. Alt + Tab has nothing to do with WoW. It has everything to do with the right way of doing things in a videogame
I havent played a PC game released in the past 5 years that doesnt support it other than FFXI and FFXIV. Its ridiculous.

Never said this! Just because Notworksafe puts words in my mouth you guys lap it up. lol

Salaadin

Member
Londa said:
No, I said I close the window not shut of the game genius.

Not everyone plays windowed. I hate windowed mode. I shouldnt be forced into playing windowed just so I can have basic functionality.

Londa

Banned
Valru said:
Windowed mode reduces game performance genius.

We aren't talking about that. I was giving a solution to wanting to look at stuff on the internet. Which is to close the Window that the game is on.

edit: forgot to add "genius" at the end

nataku

Member
"Final Fantasy XIV Beta Version has stopped working"

Wonderful. I can't even start to download the thing because the launcher won't even start up.

The tech support forum on the beta site is abysmal. Just one, long ass thread for tech support? Seriously, SE? :lol

EDIT: I must be completely blind. How the hell do you reply to a topic? I see no reply button anywhere. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my display name keeps changing to something random despite me repeatedly changing it to what I want.

sky

Member
From: SQUARE ENIX
ign_yay_small.jpg

Subject: Privacy Policy Update Notice
ign_no_small.jpg

Dear valued SQUARE ENIX customer:
Square Enix, Inc. routinely reviews it products and services.
reviews it products
it products
ign_shock.jpg

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I had the same reaction, but did not notice the typo :lol

gillty

Banned
Londa said:
We aren't talking about that. I was giving a solution to wanting to look at stuff on the internet. Which is to close the Window that the game is on.

edit: forgot to add "genius" at the end
please explain to me how this works?

you want him to close the window without exiting the game, that would be minimizing :lol

minimzing(or alt-tabbing) in fullscreen mode crashes the game & playing in windowed mode reduces performance...

nataku

Member
So... anything? Current testers? How do you reply to a thread? There is no reply button in any browser I try, in any of the threads I visit. I can't even access certain areas like the Reporting Bugs section... says I don't have access with the current SE account.

Do I need to go through some cryptic ass SE confirmation email or something? Is there something special I need to do in order to get my display name for the forum to stop resetting to something random?

The beta site is saying I need to use the forums for support... but I can't even find a reply button to any of the topics I visit.

Zomba13

Member
I think I may be PUG on release. Given it a go after really enjoying monk in FFV and I'm liking it. Really liking the seismic shock WS, it looks so cool. I'm pulling further and further away from conj now :(

Jinko

Member
nataku said:
So... anything? Current testers? How do you reply to a thread?

Depends which thread, this isn't Blizzard they won't talk to you directly.

There is no reply button in any browser I try, in any of the threads I visit. I can't even access certain areas like the Reporting Bugs section... says I don't have access with the current SE account.

The bug reporting form is only open to Alpha testers.

The beta site is saying I need to use the forums for support... but I can't even find a reply button to any of the topics I visit.

Is a bit strange have no idea.

As for the problem you are having, have you made sure that all your drivers are up to date, graphics and sound plus direct X.

FWIW I can't get this game to run on windows XP but will work fine on Windows 7 , same PC.

hgplayer1

Member
nataku said:
So... anything? Current testers? How do you reply to a thread? There is no reply button in any browser I try, in any of the threads I visit. I can't even access certain areas like the Reporting Bugs section... says I don't have access with the current SE account.

Do I need to go through some cryptic ass SE confirmation email or something? Is there something special I need to do in order to get my display name for the forum to stop resetting to something random?

The beta site is saying I need to use the forums for support... but I can't even find a reply button to any of the topics I visit.

Dunno I have reply buttons in the body of each persons posts. Just above the top post on any page it says "Welcome Hgplayer" and has a Log Out link. If its not displaying your log in name there then something is wrong.

It seems like I ran into a similar issue when I first got access to the beta and Im not sure if I did anything to fix it or if it just fixed itself. I almost want to say you have to go through another process of registering for the forums.

Alex

Member
Every 3D MMO since inception uses mouse controls. Blizzard didn't invent crafting, mouses, alt-tabbing, etc.

Dropping accessibility rants against Blizzard and calling their product easy mode because your game of choice is more cryptic and unwieldy in the initial period of the leveling game isn't coming across as well, sane.

It's one thing to stick up for your title, it's another to be completely insane for it. There's optimism and being unabashedly apologetic for every single awkward design decision. I loved FFXI back in the day, and I want to see it furthered and take a bite out of the market and really succeed. I've been waiting for this since like 2003. I was in the initial beta for FFXI on PS2 as well.

But things like this... it's not some grandiose plan, it's a flub from an out of touch developer.

I think a lot of people really wanted the content and combat and world structure and art and music of XI, but with a lot of modern adaptation, updates and twists. I sincerely doubt "not being WoW" really has much to do with any disdain. I mean WoW is good shit, Blizzard gets massive props for their game and for the insane updates and overhauls they constantly pepper it with, it's set a standard that will only do good for the genre.

However, a lot of us are just sick of that core experience, especially long time MMO fans. I want more variety and competition.

It's getting a bit tiring watching competetiors bomb right out of the gate for no reason other than being stupid and not following the logical paths and modernizations to the genre and communities. Even the F2P RTS's like League of Legends are doing it better lately.

So that in mind, FFXI 1.1 with all of the issues of the original 2002(?) release after 7-8 years isn't pleasing at the moment for a lot of people. Even if it was just that, it's sad to see so many simple design choices being dropped on their heads.

nataku

Member
hgplayer1 said:
Dunno I have reply buttons in the body of each persons posts. Just above the top post on any page it says "Welcome Hgplayer" and has a Log Out link. If its not displaying your log in name there then something is wrong.

It seems like I ran into a similar issue when I first got access to the beta and Im not sure if I did anything to fix it or if it just fixed itself. I almost want to say you have to go through another process of registering for the forums.

All I have is a Notify button for reporting posts to a mod.

I do get the Welcome message in the corner, but it just displays a random name. I change it by going to My Stuff -> Edit Profile but within visiting a couple different threads it changes back to a random name. No matter how many times I change it, it keeps resetting to a random name.

Is there some alternate way to download the client? The FFXIV Beta Version program keeps crashing. It won't even start downloading the client, I just get a "Final Fantaxy XIV Beta Version has stopped working" error and have to close it.

Honestly, I think we all want this game to succeed. Blindly defending every shitty point of the game with downright insane justifications like the alt-tab thing and how usable UIs make the game easy mode and cater to casuals isn't going to make the game actually better.

falastini

Member
There's always a vocal minority that's scared of change. This isn't anything new. It's been around since the days of Everquest.

"no more corpse runs? but having to run down your corpse to retrieve all your items made the game challenging"

"actual maps with labels? that's ez-mode. you should have to print out your own maps, or better yet draw your own by hand"

They confuse tedium with challenge, and dismiss other games' mechanics without actually having tried them for themselves.

nataku said:
Is there some alternate way to download the client? The FFXIV Beta Version program keeps crashing. It won't even start downloading the client, I just get a "Final Fantaxy XIV Beta Version has stopped working" error and have to close it.

Try playing with random graphics settings until it works (yes, the graphics settings affect the downloader - this game wouldn't be hardcore if they didn't). My downloader kept crashing if I had my buffering set to 3/4.

Teknoman

Member
asdad123 said:
We're all on shadowlord right?

Also, does this game still have a performance issue with ATI cards? I'm only getting around 20 FPS. My card isn't the best right now because I'm playing on my laptop (Envy 14, i5 450, 5650 OCed to 525/925) but I figured that I would get atleast 30 fps on the lowest settings.

Even at the lowest settings this game looks gorgeous.

Turn off ambient occlusion and depth of field.

Alex said:
So that in mind, FFXI 1.1 with all of the issues of the original 2002(?) release after 7-8 years isn't pleasing at the moment for a lot of people. Even if it was just that, it's sad to see so many simple design choices being dropped on their heads.

The only issues it has in common with XI is no option for complete keyboard config/ decent mouse controls and no alt-tabbing from full screen. FFXI 1.1 is a little much in that regard. The UI is just fine aside from bazaar menu speed at times / skill menu response, and the necessary addition of main map party markers.

Teknoman

Member
I'd like to be able to alt-tab fullscreen myself, especially since windowed mode would allow people to cheat if they were going to anyway. No sense in punishing everyone else.

Goes without saying, please report any feedback you have.

nataku

Member
Mister Zimbu said:
Try playing with random graphics settings until it works (yes, the graphics settings affect the downloader - this game wouldn't be hardcore if they didn't). My downloader kept crashing if I had my buffering set to 3/4.

Seems to have worked. Guess it doesn't like me having my shadow settings at highest. The download speed fluctuates so much.... anywhere between 4Kb/s and 200Kb/s. Better than the 400 bytes/s it was going at before I did the port forwarding, but still. I wish I could at least disable the music the stupid thing plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom