• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason Shadowlord won't load my action list so I can't add any new attacks to my quickbar. I have no problems on the Kefka server.

Salaadin

Try using Enter on the keyboard to select instead of the controller. It doesnt work right for me either. Or:

/eaction 1 "skill name" to macro skills to slots. just change the number to whatever slot you want to stick it to.

gillty

Banned
Kandinsky said:
Cant download that file for some reason, can i get a mirror please?
here ya go:
http://usershare.net/lhlcqmee8n2w

Borderless Window Utility

I've created an extremely simple script with AutoHotKey that will give FFXIV a borderless window. Borderless Windows are extremely popular for people with multi-monitor setups, and those who want to quickly switch between windows in games like TF2.

What it does:
Gives you that look of being full-screen mode while being in windowed mode
Unfortunately because you are in windowed mode you will see the usual fps hit compared to full-screen mode

How to use:
1)Set FFXIV to Windowed Mode in the config
2)Run the exe of your choice depending on resolution, you should see a H icon in the traybar
3)Launch FFXIV, and once ingame hit CTRL+ALT+F to go to borderless window mode

I've included 5 exes for five common widescreen resolutions: 1280x720, 1440x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1080 & 1920x1200

I have also included the script & the autohotkey installer for you to edit if you need a different resolution.

Code:
!^f::
WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, A
WinMove, A, , 0, 0, 1680, 1050
;WinActivate, A
return

Download 2.9mb
http://www.mediafire.com/?rkd3gylv7fb2u5o
http://usershare.net/lhlcqmee8n2w

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hmmm, I logged on, checked my leves and found the timer wasn't up. Promptly logged off. Not going to do crafting in the beta since it won't count for anything (and if I'm going to go through any tedium, it will count). The leves timer is a real killjoy. =/

hgplayer1

I saw a post in this thread about resetting your UI by deleting some file in the program folders. Ive searched for it but cant find it.

Anyone know what Im talkin about? Ive made some adjustments to my res and I want to have the UI default to that res instead of moving everything around.

gillty

Banned
hgplayer1 said:
I saw a post in this thread about resetting your UI by deleting some file in the program folders. Ive searched for it but cant find it.

Anyone know what Im talkin about? Ive made some adjustments to my res and I want to have the UI default to that res instead of moving everything around.
Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\user\XXXXX(There are a few folders in here one will have the UI file)\UI

delete UI and the next time you launch it should be the correct size.

nataku

hgplayer1 said:

Does your UI actually stick? Mine resets every time I log in. I have to change the size of and move the chat box every time, even if I don't change resolutions.

Shouta

I've gotten started in the game under the character Ezlyn Fallsmeyer so if you see me and can invite me to the shell, do it. >=O

Shouta

Hmm, Shadowlord is pretty laggy compared to the other servers. I wonder if it's an effect of all the players being on it or just that server being shitty.

hgplayer1

Valru said:
Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\user\XXXXX(There are a few folders in here one will have the UI file)\UI

delete UI and the next time you launch it should be the correct size.

thanks that helped!

nataku said:
Does your UI actually stick? Mine resets every time I log in. I have to change the size of and move the chat box every time, even if I don't change resolutions.

well I logged back in to notice my changes hadnt been saved from the last login but I cant remember if I crashed or logged out properly. Ill test it tomorrow

Shouta said:
Hmm, Shadowlord is pretty laggy compared to the other servers. I wonder if it's an effect of all the players being on it or just that server being shitty.

It's got the most players, and yeah server feels like it's ready to shit the bed in the city.

Azrael

Can I get a Linkpearl? My game name is Podrick Payne.

I hope the server is running better today. I tried to play for a couple hours after work last night and barely got anything done. Finished the Treasures of the Main quest and that was it.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
[Resolved Issues]

--- Added 08/16/2010 --------

- A player is able to obtain more experience and skill points than what they are supposed to when defeating monsters weaker than them.

- FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version will shut down when a player enters a specific text after a auto-translate/auto-complete word.

- The character model of a player's Retainer will change in to a Hyur.

- Occasionally an error may occur during a synthesis related tutorial levequest and cause the player to forcefully log out of the game.

Londa

Banned
Jinko said:
Why are we not surprised :lol

If you have only failed 3 times then you clearly haven't spent much time crafting :)

I was crafting since Beta 2. I was repairing my own armor. The crafting isn't hard to figure out. Not my fault you can't catch on. :)

Jinko

Gromph said:

Not very big 5 mbs at a guess.

I was crafting since Beta 2. I was repairing my own armor. The crafting isn't hard to figure out. Not my fault you can't catch on. :)

Well I guess thats me told, I guess your bias isn't effecting your opinion what so ever.

Edit - Gettings the number one next to my name in linkshell chat now [1] like this, duno what that is, lag is so bad its almost unplayable.

Khrno

Jinko said:
Well I guess thats me told, I guess your bias isn't effecting your opinion what so ever.

Yeah Londa, come on. Everyone here says it sucks so you have to change your opinion regardless and join the masses, follow the mindless lambs, don't even dare to like something that the big boys here don't like.

Opinions, pfft.

Londa

Banned
Jinko said:
Not very big 5 mbs at a guess.

Edit - Gettings the number one next to my name in linkshell chat now [1] like this, duno what that is, lag is so bad its almost unplayable.

Yesterday I felt the same about the lag. I thought it was my connections fault but it seemed to effect everyone yesterday.

Khrno said:
Yeah Londa, come on. Everyone here says it sucks so you have to change your opinion regardless and join the masses, follow the mindless lambs, don't even dare to like something that the big boys here don't like.

Opinions, pfft.

Basically lol. Don't forget I'm a FF elitist for liking it and not wanting a "cookbook" for crafting.

Khrno

Londa said:
Basically lol. Don't forget I'm a FF elitist for liking it and not wanting a "cookbook" for crafting.

I can relate myself with that. But I swear I wasn't like that before, Dragon's Aery turned me into one.

I think the "elitist" claims tend to stem more from the canned response you guys have to any suggestion that the game be brought into the 21st century - "why do you guys want everything to be easymode like WoW and expect the game to be beaten in 45 minutes".

Londa

Banned
Mister Zimbu said:
I think the "elitist" claims tend to stem more from the canned response you guys have to any suggestion that the game be brought into the 21st century - "why do you guys want everything to be easymode like WoW and expect the game to be beaten in 45 minutes".

weren't you the guy that said you hated me?

If you do why are you even addressing my comments?

We don't need an explanation on why people say this or that. I already know where it comes from.

Jinko

Well news flash this isn't about you and what you want, its about whats best for the majority of people who either will or want to play it, most people here want the game to do well, Londa seems to think we are pissing on this game just to get a kick out of it and its becoming beyond annoying.

Personally I feel if you want a game which is stuck in the past with archiac mechanics then keep playing FF11, most of us are hoping for something a bit more modern with less time sinks and blatant kicks to the face.

If you want Dragon's Aery HD .. turn your resolution up.

notworksafe

fizzelopeguss said:
You two are like the chuckle brothers.
They belong on the official beta forums, with the rest of the mindless Square circlejerkers.

Also anyone with big problems on Shadowlord should try switching servers to test other content. Kefka server has MUCH less lag. I was shocked at how much better the game played.

How many players are on Shadowlord right now?

The extreme lag isn't really happening with a exceptionally large number - when I was lagging constantly last night there were only 310 people logged on.

Londa

Banned
Jinko said:
Well news flash this isn't about you and what you want, its about whats best for the majority of people who either will or want to play it, most people here want the game to do well, Londa seems to think we are pissing on this game just to get a kick out of it and its becoming beyond annoying.

Actually this is a thread to give your experiences on the game but it turned into a hate thread. So no one that actually likes the game are giving there experiences in fear of being attacked.

So yeah I have a right to say what I liked or may want for FFXIV.

If you read back most post are negative and nothing positive. Comments like "doomed to fail" "cluster f**" and "a big mess" are 95% of the testomonies in here. Then when someone comes in to tell them a positive experience people quicky respond to that with more negativity and begin to question that persons intelligance.

You all aren't pissing on it to get a kick. But I see a lot of rage towards it because it isn't like their favorite streamlined MMO.

You two are like the chuckle brothers.

And your comments are never about the game and more of "ewww I don't like you!". :lol

Salaadin

Londa said:

Can you explain it for those of us who care? I tried to grasp it yesterday but felt like I was getting nowhere and wasting items.

Shouta

Mister Zimbu said:
How many players are on Shadowlord right now?

The extreme lag isn't really happening with a exceptionally large number - when I was lagging constantly last night there were only 310 people logged on.

'bout 400 right now.

Jinko

Londa said:
You all aren't pissing on it to get a kick. But I see a lot of rage towards it because it isn't like their favorite streamlined MMO.

You do realise that FF11 is still prob my most favourite MMO, that being said it had a shit ton of faults, which is why I am so negative when i see SE making the same ones again.

Actually this is a thread to give your experiences on the game but it turned into a hate thread. So no one that actually likes the game are giving there experiences in fear of being attacked.

Nobody is stopping you having an opinion of your own, but when you come up with silly excuses for alt + tab and why bad game mechanics are the way they are you shouldn't expect someone to sit back and agree with you.

Londa said:

If you read back most post are negative and nothing positive. Comments like "doomed to fail" "cluster f**" and "a big mess" are 95% of the testomonies in here. Then when someone comes in to tell them a positive experience people quicky respond to that with more negativity and begin to question that persons intelligance.

Once again, I doubt any of us *hate* the game. If we did, we wouldn't still be playing the beta, and trust us, we would be a lot harsher on it.

We're "raging" not because it isn't like our favorite streamlined MMO. We're "raging" because it's not streamlined whatsoever.

The game as it stands now IS a mess. The actions menu is unusable and you have to rebind all your actions if you so much want to mine a node somewhere. The game is laggy as hell; the inventory menu is unusable because of this. Combat is oversimplified and repetitive (though it does get better around rank 15 for conjurer at least). Partying is completely broken. There's no economy to speak of as it's too much effort to find what you're looking for, and it's next to impossible to improve your gear because there's nowhere reasonably simple to buy it from. Gear degrades too fast and requires far too many repairs, especially considering that you need to find a player to repair it for you and there's something like 25 gear slots that you have to repair individually.

The above wouldn't normally huge issues considering it's a beta. The difference is that the game is one month out from release, these bugs have all been reported, and Square hasn't even acknowledged that ANY of the above are issues, let alone taken steps to fix them. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to be concerned about the state of this game at release.

Londa

Banned
Salaadin said:
Can you explain it for those of us who care? I tried to grasp it yesterday but felt like I was getting nowhere and wasting items.

This is how I would craft:

1. Select recipe
2. Always select Standard first.
3. When Standard doesn't give anymore progress I switch to rapid.
4. If Rapid when first selected doesn't give no results I go to Bold. If when Rapid gives positive results I keep selecting Rapid until it gives no results.
5. Once finishing with Rapid I would select Bold. If Bold doesn't give any results I go back to standard and repeat steps 1-5. If Bold gives results that are positive I continue with Bold until it gives no positive results and I go back to Standard, repeating steps 1-5.

* I never used the wait command. I only payed attention to the text and not the animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom