• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khrno

Salaadin said:
How do I use Gathering actions? I just hit Mining 10 and learned "Sharp Vision" but I have no idea how to use it. Is it an always active ability like job traits in FFXI?

If it's an ability then you have to set it in your bar and press the assigned key to use it. If it's a trait, then you have to set it in the traits bar and it will be active all the time (as far as you are that class or any DoL class and it remains assigned).

Jinko

Salaadin said:
How do I use Gathering actions? I just hit Mining 10 and learned "Sharp Vision" but I have no idea how to use it. Is it an always active ability like job traits in FFXI?

If its a gathering craftinf skill (bottom window) , It's a chance to activate when you mine something.

Zomba13

I keep getting these weird errors every so often. It doesn't crash or kick me though, just makes the screen dark and when I press the b (cancel) button it makes the back noise. I can still hear the music too. I was fighting an ewe (easy pray) and it happened and when I re-logged I was at 1hp.

EDIT: Happened again error (40000)4,32617. Anyone else had this happen? I think it may have something to do with the throwing or ranged weapons. I notice it happening not long after I use the javelin.

Salaadin

How do I get started on blacksmithing? The NPCs at the guild are useless and it seems that all of the ores and crystals I have been digging up are useless to me since every recipe I try needs something else that I dont have.

Ravidrath

Anyone online now to give me a pearl? I'm Saint Ravidrath, and will be logging in as soon as this Windows Update is done. :p

Also, has anyone had problems with equipping skills? Last night I could remove them, but not add them back... which meant I was doing everything with Spirit Dart only.

gillty

Banned
Ravidrath said:
Anyone online now to give me a pearl? I'm Saint Ravidrath, and will be logging in as soon as this Windows Update is done. :p

Also, has anyone had problems with equipping skills? Last night I could remove them, but not add them back... which meant I was doing everything with Spirit Dart only.
did you try the drop down box above the skill list? :D

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Ravidrath said:
Yup, no skills would appear when I selected that. It would beep like I had selected it, and then do nothing.

Select skill class with keyboard, gamepad is broken for skills.

LowParry

Salaadin said:
How do I get started on blacksmithing? The NPCs at the guild are useless and it seems that all of the ores and crystals I have been digging up are useless to me since every recipe I try needs something else that I dont have.

Start with the starter Leves then go from there. There's a list of recipes online you can use.

Khrno

Londa said:
don't they aggro? Also he kind of looks high in your screenshot. :lol

Yeah it aggroes, but the one in that place was funny. Did you see the Qiqirn in the back? He was standing next to me before I got killed by the Smolenkos, as soon as I dropped dead the Qiqirn started running around with a shocked expression for a moment.

Salaadin

I have to make 3 bronze saws for a blacksmith leve. I was told that they gace me the items for the synth but Im not seeing anything added to my inventory....

gillty

Banned
Salaadin said:
I have to make 3 bronze saws for a blacksmith leve. I was told that they gace me the items for the synth but Im not seeing anything added to my inventory....
in the synth window at the top there should be a button for quest items

Zomba13 said:
I keep getting these weird errors every so often. It doesn't crash or kick me though, just makes the screen dark and when I press the b (cancel) button it makes the back noise. I can still hear the music too. I was fighting an ewe (easy pray) and it happened and when I re-logged I was at 1hp.

EDIT: Happened again error (40000)4,32617. Anyone else had this happen? I think it may have something to do with the throwing or ranged weapons. I notice it happening not long after I use the javelin.

I get it just running around, never used a ranged item.

Salaadin

Zomba13 said:

I get kicked a lot. Twice yesterday and once today, the game just crashes with a "FFXIV has stopped working" error. I have no idea if its the beta or something else on my end.

Ravidrath

I crashed today in the middle of a guildleve, which made me lose it forever.

That really pissed me off - if they're going to insist on making them scarce, then they need to make sure they can be resumed if you disconnect.

And while we're on the subject of Guildleves, they really need to make them accrue gradually. The 48 hours thing is completely arbitrary, and going to lead to reset creep and other annoying things.

Salaadin

Ravidrath said:
I crashed today in the middle of a guildleve, which made me lose it forever.

That really pissed me off - if they're going to insist on making them scarce, then they need to make sure they can be resumed if you disconnect.

And while we're on the subject of Guildleves, they really need to make them accrue gradually. The 48 hours thing is completely arbitrary, and going to lead to reset creep and other annoying things.

What error message do you get when you crash?

notworksafe said:
Or have them reset daily. What's the point of 48 hours? Hell, what's the point of limiting quests at all?

Seriously. 2 real days is a bit much. 1 real day is pushing it.
They did say that they want the game set up in such a way that we can log on for an hour and still make good progress. Im not seeing much of that now but Im staying confident that it will change for the better.

Im hoping it will anyways :lol

notworksafe

It feels a bit like a "we have no real endgame yet so we'll just force leveling to take longer while we work something out" sort of situation you see in many Korean MMOs. That's just a guess though.

Ravidrath

notworksafe said:
Or have them reset daily. What's the point of 48 hours? Hell, what's the point of limiting quests at all?

Eh, I don't like the idea of making them unlimited, and I think on one would use the rest of the content if they did.

They're supposed to be "bonus" quests you get every so often... sort of like the rest system in WoW or whatever, only active.

You could gradually taper off the rewards, but that's a bit... mushy.

Salaadin

bloodforge said:
Really not feeling this game, doesn't help that they are forcing you to craft right now which I have no interest in doing at all.

It doesnt help that crafting has a "heres a tool, youre on your own" attitude right now.

careksims

bloodforge said:
Really not feeling this game, doesn't help that they are forcing you to craft right now which I have no interest in doing at all.

Totally agree on that. Especially if you want to go Gladiator and there is no... SHIELD from the start...

notworksafe

Ravidrath said:
Eh, I don't like the idea of making them unlimited, and I think on one would use the rest of the content if they did.

They're supposed to be "bonus" quests you get every so often... sort of like the rest system in WoW or whatever, only active.

Make your reset rate different based on how it's been since you were online, maybe?

Ravidrath said:

rest of the content in beta?, from what i've seen we've got story quests, which it seems like something you're gonna have to anyway.

Crafting, which i have zero interest in. but looks like the best thing since SWG to those that do. So they're sorted, those kind of players will be engrossed in that for years.

Guildleves.

And just running around killing shit.

On my chars i'm a bit stuck on where to go next.

Well, rule of thumb in an MMO...if that's all people are doing in your game, it's probably because it's the most fun thing, so allow players to do more of it.

If it's not a fun thing, and people are doing it purely because it's the only reasonable way to advance (WAR's Tor anroc). Then you can worry because your game has serious underlying issues. :p

Alex

notworksafe said:
It feels a bit like a "we have no real endgame yet so we'll just force leveling to take longer while we work something out" sort of situation you see in many Korean MMOs. That's just a guess though.

Oh, well, I think most people probably expected the game to stray from a top heavy experience, mostly to scatter the main bits and pieces throughout the leveling game and lots of exploration/side content. Although it's a severe issue that we're not seeing any of this yet, and I'm not optimistic enough to blame the beta or assume Blizzard, who barely patches, took the time to rig their game up in a custom manner outside of just world trimming.

Could easily be wrong, but looking at how they're clinging to XI thus far, I think it's fair to say the end game will be a very limited, very cult sort of deal without much maintained content. Closer to an old school JRPG than a modern MMO.

gillty

Banned
Ravidrath said:

Actually I believe the timer is their to force people to group, of course the length right now doesn't work for casuals either.

6 hours would be great, forces people to group that want to do lots of levequests, gives the casuals their 1 hour a day gameplay. (and yes their are people like that)

Jinko

Crafting is just as terrible as FF11, its kind of clever they try and hide behind the fact they have given us 3 options and a wait command, but beside the speed in which the options allow you to craft and the quality there isn't a safe way to craft.

It seems to make sense that if you take your time to craft something you would be less likely to fail but this doesn't seem to be the case.

They don't explain that when the orb of light changes colour (flashes colour) you need to wait until it becomes pure white for optimum success.

I am now rank 8 in blacsmith and can still fail on making a piece of copper plate this is just bullshit.

I'm hoping the crafting system isn't finished yet, if I level up a CLASS to make items it shouldn't be based on luck.

I am really pissy with this game today hence:-

The crafting system is pretty damn awful and very punishing, there should be some kind of difference between chances of success between the 3 options.

1. Medium with average chance of Quality with high chance of sucess.
2. Fast with low chance of qauilty and Medium chance of success.
3. Slow with high chance of Quality and Low Chance of Success.

At the moment it seems that you can fail roughly about the same on all choices.

Make it so that 100 quality = normal, 200 = +1, 300 = +2 and 400 = +3

I suggest that instead of the orb flashing a colour you change it so an Icon will flash above the characters head, ie a flame if the fire element requires attention, maybe the icon can grow in size as the element destabilises.

If I am only using earth crystals in a recipe then I shouldn't be getting other elements becoming unstable, this doesn't make sense.

There should be almost no chance of failure on an item that is 5 ranks below you, ie a rank 8 Blacksmith shouldn't fail on a piece of copper plate.

If you want a lot people to play this game you need to make things much more accessible and easier to understand.

Caj814

I'm guessing it's gonna suck even more to get high end HQ stuff by the time end game rolls around.

I remember back in FFXI when I waited for the "perfect day" since supposedly the weather had something to do with how successful crafts came out,to try and get an HQ Hauberk.Gave my friend about 4-5 worth of ingredients to try and each one came out normal but then someone in my LS decided to try it for the hell of it and got it on the first and only try :lol

careksims

Jinko said:
Crafting is just as terrible as FF11, its kind of clever they try and hide behind the fact they have given us 3 options and a wait command, but beside the speed in which the options allow you to craft and the quality there isn't a safe way to craft.

It seems to make sense that if you take your time to craft something you would be less likely to fail but this doesn't seem to be the case.

They don't explain that when the orb of light changes colour (flashes colour) you need to wait until it becomes pure white for optimum success.

I am now rank 8 in blacsmith and can still fail on making a piece of copper plate this is just bullshit.

I'm hoping the crafting system isn't finished yet, if I level up a CLASS to make items it shouldn't be based on luck.

I am really pissy with this game today hence:-

You serious?! They never explain that stuff abotu the colors at all! They just go here, synth this item, and hope it gets to 100% I like the game but when it came to the crafting... I was so lost and confused. I was like "FINE! I'll do your crafting, if it means to get new item"

It's not very casual friendly at all. Also I cannot post at their private forums at all :/

Teknoman

Still not sure what orb appears when crafting, unless its different for cooking.

EDIT: Unless that happens when it says " The ____element has become unstable/chaotic".

Salaadin

Everytime I get fed up with something in this game whether it be lag or game mechanics or that feeling of not knowing wtf Im supposed to do, I get up and go exploring and have the best time. Im sitting here at Tiger Helm Island just admiring it.

I really hope all my complaints get smoother over because this is a game that i REALLY want to play just based on art style and look. If the mechanics are there to back it up, im fucked.

Teknoman

If the levequests were unlimited (they seem to give guildmarks at higher levels than gil, so maybe its not as big of a problem), then people would never kill anything out in the field or seem to have a reason to sell items.

gillty

Banned
Salaadin said:
Everytime I get fed up with something in this game whether it be lag or game mechanics or that feeling of not knowing wtf Im supposed to do, I get up and go exploring and have the best time. Im sitting here at Tiger Helm Island just admiring it.

I really hope all my complaints get smoother over because this is a game that i REALLY want to play just based on art style and look. If the mechanics are there to back it up, im fucked.
I agree, I like the combat but the crafting is awful and I often get lost because the game doesn't explain things at all, the market wards are plain bad & and the excessive guildleve timer can really that the wind out of things.

On the plus side I recommend the botanists class, its super relaxing to play the logging minigame while exploring the land, so just go grab a hatchet in west hawkers alley and continue exploring. :D

gillty

Banned
Broadbandito said:
So i got a beta code. Whats the fastest way of updating everything?
install the installer for the registry keys, then download SquareEnix.rar in the OP and replace the main folder with that.

gillty

Banned
Broadbandito said:
well through the installer it says 2 hours left. the .rar says 5 hours left
odd :lol took me 24 hours through the installer torrent the first time and only 1 hour hour to download squareenix.rar when I had to reinstall

Londa

Banned
I like the crafting in FFXIV. It isn't anything like FFXI. Also I have only failed on an item three times since beta 2.

nataku

Guess I'll stick with my Roegadyn for now. Name is Veplerion Vifnir, if anyone sees me on I'd appreciate a LS invite.

I also have a character named Veladyncia Vifnir.

EDIT: I started Veladynica first and got her as a lancer up to 8... just started Veplerion, and I don't really want to play him. Is that a bad sign? :lol

Teknoman

Shadowlord.

I'm not sure if Mika made anyone else able to hand out memberships, but i'll be on in a little while. Send a tell to Teknoman Blade in about 15-20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom