• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
In a bit of positivity, I fucking love my Galka. He's so awesome. I would love to see him in some proper armor instead of mage gear, but I'll be damned if I'm leveling crafting during a beta.

In a bit of "negativity" market wards are terrible. Boy I hope they get an AH up at launch (with more than seven slots, thanks) because it's extremely cumbersome to work the bazaars.

LowParry

Kintaro said:
In a bit of positivity, I fucking love my Galka. He's so awesome. I would love to see him in some proper armor instead of mage gear, but I'll be damned if I'm leveling crafting during a beta.

In a bit of "negativity" market wards are terrible. Boy I hope they get an AH up at launch (with more than seven slots, thanks) because it's extremely cumbersome to work the bazaars.

Same. Really loving my Elvan. Despite all the flaws the game has, I'm rolling. Crafting is a bitch. A real big fat one. Though I'm sure in the end, it will hold some good satisfaction.

Khrno

Valru said:
its not an action game, but its not that slow! :lol

I went from WoW to the alpha (which was closer to XI) and that was a bit of a shock, but in beta 3 its orders of magnitude faster! I guess comparing to WoW it would be closer to fighting a lowlevel elite mobs in barrens which while isn't that slow is pretty lengthy in WoW time.

Yeah, but it seems he didn't play XI or it wouldn't have seemed so slow to him. If he comes from other MMOs, specially many of those F2P korean ones, then there is a noticeable difference of pace.

That's what I was saying it shouldn't be judged right now because towards endgame fighting will get way faster. We all know what to expect from Haste.

gillty

Banned
CcrooK said:
Same. Really loving my Elvan. Despite all the flaws the game has, I'm rolling. Crafting is a bitch. A real big fat one. Though I'm sure in the end, it will hold some good satisfaction.
on the brigh tside Disciples of Land (gathering) are extremely satisfying in a weird way, I just spent 3 hours logging trees. :lol

LowParry

Valru said:
on the brigh tside Disciples of Land (gathering) are extremely satisfying in a weird way, I just spent 3 hours logging trees. :lol

I know this may be a really odd comparison, but between WoW's gathering and XIV's, I think I get more fun out of XIV. And you get what, several attempts at one node? I like that. The mini game I'm still iffy on but I guess that's just part of the fun. I'm guessing the starting city doesn't have the tools to buy. So I've had to make the class instead. Hell, if we can have two characters, maybe I'll just use one for crafting and gathering while the other the game itself.

gillty

Banned
CcrooK said:
I know this may be a really odd comparison, but between WoW's gathering and XIV's, I think I get more fun out of XIV. And you get what, several attempts at one node? I like that. The mini game I'm still iffy on but I guess that's just part of the fun. I'm guessing the starting city doesn't have the tools to buy. So I've had to make the class instead. Hell, if we can have two characters, maybe I'll just use one for crafting and gathering while the other the game itself.
I agree.

btw you can buy all of the starting tools/weapons for all classes,
DoW/M are in the boomsticks store near the blacksmith guild, and the tools for DoH/L are spread out in hawkers alley.

LowParry

Valru said:
I agree.

btw you can buy all of the starting tools/weapons for all classes,
DoW/M are in the boomsticks store near the blacksmith guild, and the tools for DoH/L are spread out in hawkers alley.

Specifically been looking for the mining and botanist tools. I really can't seem to find them at all. :lol

Edit: Wait...wait wait. Found the muthafucker.

gillty

Banned
CcrooK said:
Specifically been looking for the mining and botanist tools. I really can't seem to find them at all. :lol

Edit: Wait...wait wait. Found the muthafucker.
just for reference when heading westbound: first npc on the left in West Hawkers Alley

LaneDS

Kandinsky said:
So... after I spent every gil i had (7g left), focused the entire day leveling WW, Smithing and Botanist, gathered every material i needed to make that freaking shield (probably spent around 100k total :lol ) and guess what?, failed it:lol

That is soul crushing stuff and exactly what I don't want in my games, sigh.

Teknoman

Thats why im going to try and get most gathering skills high, so I can just donate stuff to LS members when needed. Especially since theres supposed to be LS wide houses among other things.

By the way, does waiting help when an element becomes unstable/chaotic?

asdad123

I'm starting to get used to this a little now. The last MMO is played was WoW and that was much different.

Two questions. Does anyone else's mouse have a delay in the game?
Also, what are the chances of them increasing performance for this game for the final release? Im playing on a laptop since I can't bring a desktop to college (i5 450m, 5650m OCed) and it runs decently on low but sometimes it drops to 15 FPS when theres a bunch of people there. I could deal with 25-30 FPS, but 15 makes it look like a slideshow.

nataku

Liking the levequests so far, honestly. It's really what I was hoping leveling would be like in this game... just gather a party, grab some levequests, and go around killing things. I really disliked the whole camp in one spot leveling FFXI had because I never felt like I was really exploring the areas.

I'm really irritated by all the little delays in the interface, though. 1-2 second delays on tons of different things, from opening windows to even switching between active and passive mode. The interface is rough as hell and needs a ton of polish.

Performance is pretty terrible most of the time, though I know I need a new video card. I get 40fps or so in the field on my 8800GT, but it doesn't feel like it at all. I had to sacrifice resolution and a ton of other settings to even get that. In town I'm lucky to hit 20fps. SE needs to find some better PC programmers.

Salaadin

asdad123 said:
I'm starting to get used to this a little now. The last MMO is played was WoW and that was much different.

Two questions. Does anyone else's mouse have a delay in the game?

Are you using d3doverrider for Vsync? I get a mouse delay with it on. I use a controller to get around it

Teknoman

nataku said:
Liking the levequests so far, honestly. It's really what I was hoping leveling would be like in this game... just gather a party, grab some levequests, and go around killing things. I really disliked the whole camp in one spot leveling FFXI had because I never felt like I was really exploring the areas.

I'm really irritated by all the little delays in the interface, though. 1-2 second delays on tons of different things, from opening windows to even switching between active and passive mode. The interface is rough as hell and needs a ton of polish.

Performance is pretty terrible most of the time, though I know I need a new video card. I get 40fps or so in the field on my 8800GT, but it doesn't feel like it at all. I had to sacrifice resolution and a ton of other settings to even get that. In town I'm lucky to hit 20fps. SE needs to find some better PC programmers.

Most of those delays werent there in phase 2, so not sure what happened. The menu opens faster now, but navigating certain sections has really slowed down. Just make sure to turn of depth of field and ambient occlusion. Leave buffer at resolution, and turn shadows to just high. MSAA to 2x if you dont want any jaggies (even though there arent many even without it). Using a Radeon 4870 and usually get 30fps in town, 30-60 in the field, and usually 50-60 in instances. Oh and everything else set to highest.

Didnt seem like much tearing in the game, aside from a few instances...but its not really bad, so Vsync might not be needed.

The game might be better optimized by retail, especially since they've already gone through a few changes from alpha to now (better lighting, animations, opened the config settings, no framerate cap).

nataku

Teknoman said:
Most of those delays werent there in phase 2, so not sure what happened. The menu opens faster now, but navigating certain sections has really slowed down. Just make sure to turn of depth of field and ambient occlusion. Leave buffer at resolution, and turn shadows to just high. MSAA to 2x if you dont want any jaggies (even though there arent many even without it). Using a Radeon 4870 and usually get 30fps in town, 30-60 in the field, and usually 50-60 in instances. Oh and everything else set to highest.

Didnt seem like much tearing in the game, aside from a few instances...but its not really bad, so Vsync might not be needed.

The game might be better optimized by retail, especially since they've already gone through a few changes from alpha to now (better lighting, animations, opened the config settings, no framerate cap).

What resolution are you playing at?

Zomba13

Teknoman said:
I think they've capped it at 60 since the last patch. I no longer get 120 on the opening menu/character select or more than 60 in cutscenes/just staring at the floor in first person view like I did at the start of phase 3.

Zomba13 said:
I think they've capped it at 60 since the last patch. I no longer get 120 on the opening menu/character select or more than 60 in cutscenes/just staring at the floor in first person view like I did at the start of phase 3.

yeah.. the cap was re-instated..

Still.. 60 fps is plenty in most scenarios.. and if one enables Ambient occlusion, they'll be lucky to see numbers north of 30.

Azrael

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing a nasty bug or if I'm just doing something wrong. I've reached Gladiator rank 8, and I can't seem to equip any of the abilities I've learned in the main menu. For some reason it's showing that I can equip the rank 1 Pugilist skill even though I haven't played the class, although when I try to equip it it doesn't work.

gillty

Banned
Azrael said:
I'm not sure if I'm experiencing a nasty bug or if I'm just doing something wrong. I've reached Gladiator rank 8, and I can't seem to equip any of the abilities I've learned in the main menu. For some reason it's showing that I can equip the rank 1 Pugilist skill even though I haven't played the class, although when I try to equip it it doesn't work.
1)You need to be in passive mode.
2)There is a drop down box above the ability list that should let you pick Gladiator abilites.

Anybody notice that the music that plays while the updater downloads updates is very familiar? Obviously it's Uematsu, but it sounds a lot like it's an intentional reference to FFX.

I'm still not in this fucking beta so all I can do is download updates and look at the stupid login screen. Fuck you, Squenix. Seriously, fuck you. :lol

Teknoman

Azrael said:

You might have to use the keyboard too. Another menu control glitch.

Ferrio

Banned
So the game is playable for me now weee! SO can miner actually do anything besides throw a rock? I don't really want to do any crafting in beta, but I thought even the crafting classes could fight? Doing 1 hp per hit isn't really fighting.

Londa

Banned
saw this scary thing near blood shore

UCKBs.jpg

jiggle

Ferrio said:
So the game is playable for me now weee! SO can miner actually do anything besides throw a rock? I don't really want to do any crafting in beta, but I thought even the crafting classes could fight? Doing 1 hp per hit isn't really fighting.

iirc
they said miners will benefit the pt in some way
non of those jobs will serve as a DD in pt i'd assume

Londa

Banned
I hit miner rank 9. I got a upgraded version of throwing a rock that I think stuns the mob. I'll have to check it again when I log in later.

Munba

Londa said:
I hit miner rank 9. I got a upgraded version of throwing a rock that I think stuns the mob. I'll have to check it again when I log in later.

You mean the stun debuff for the next move? I combined that with the throwing javelin of the lancer and it worked on a goat from the distance :D

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Whenever I do a crafting leve, I go to the required npc...he/she talks to me and the system says they've given me the items necessary to craft. I look in my inventory and nothing's there!? What am I doing wrong?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
LeMaximilian said:
Whenever I do a crafting leve, I go to the required npc...he/she talks to me and the system says they've given me the items necessary to craft. I look in my inventory and nothing's there!? What am I doing wrong?

Menu -< Synt -> Requested Materials on top Max.

asdad123

Salaadin said:
Are you using d3doverrider for Vsync? I get a mouse delay with it on. I use a controller to get around it
Since I don't know what that is, I dont think so? Lol.
I have a 5650m with 10.7 driver.

Kintaro

I wonder if mob placement and con will change much in retail. As it stands now, it's very...weird. One can literally walk right out of Limsa and on two sides of the road have "Very Tough" mobs immediately to the left of you and "Easy Prey" to the right of you. Often they are mixed in right on top of each other. Then mob placement drastically changes but not with the environment around you. I saw Giant Crabs around the same space as little Rams. Wasn't close to any water though.

A little odd...

Munba

Kintaro said:
I wonder if mob placement and con will change much in retail. As it stands now, it's very...weird. One can literally walk right out of Limsa and on two sides of the road have "Very Tough" mobs immediately to the left of you and "Easy Prey" to the right of you. Often they are mixed in right on top of each other. Then mob placement drastically changes but not with the environment around you. I saw Giant Crabs around the same space as little Rams. Wasn't close to any water though.

A little odd...

The actual mobs placement is a placeholder indeed, also because i don't think monsters like Cactuar are in those enviroments. I think SE put a bunch of random mobs in the same area to make exp to lv30. And i think the explorable area in this beta will have mobs until lv 10-15 max in the release. Maybe lv 20-25 for underground areas like cassiopeia hollow. I see this whole area La Noscea, in the release, like a ronfaure-lathein-valkurm combination as exping.

Kintaro

Munba said:
The actual mobs placement is a placeholder indeed, also because i don't think monsters like Cactuar are in those enviroments. I think SE put a bunch of random mobs in the same area to make exp to lv30. And i think the explorable area in this beta will have mobs until lv 10-15 max in the release. Maybe lv 20-25 for underground areas like cassiopeia hollow. I see this whole area La Noscea, in the release, like a ronfaure-lathein-valkurm combination as exping.

That works.

Munba

jiggle said:
nvm :p

neone know what causes treasure chests to pop?
can anyone get them or are they instanced to a single person/pt?

The chests are random and i think they are attached to your leve only.

Salaadin

How do I use Gathering actions? I just hit Mining 10 and learned "Sharp Vision" but I have no idea how to use it. Is it an always active ability like job traits in FFXI?

jiggle

Conceited said:
Edit: Or not, stuck at loading screen. :(

guess i'm not the only one!
managed to get in for 10 sec before getting kicked out
saw like 20 ppl at skull though, how'd they not get kicked out D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom