• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khrno

Kandinsky said:
Deal with its, this is SE, if FFXI taught someting is that they just dont get it, especially when making a mage class :/

Well then FFXI is totally broken, because BLM and RDM were always awesome jobs, probably the best in the game for basically anything, even tho BLM suffered lots of nerfs I don't think it ever underperformed.

Didn't really get to see much from SCH, but for what I saw in big fights, they were really good, and WHM had many ups and downs, they could have treated them better, but for what a friend has told me recently about her WHM80, it is better than ever.

Oh and SMN, well.. at least they had cooler pets than the other 3 pet classes.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
BTW, there is also a bug that can make mages feel the pain of MP regen even more. The timer can reset on your if you switch jobs. For example, you may have 5 minutes left on your 30 min ability, see a node, switch to miner to mine it, switch back to Conj and...oops. Its been reset back to 30 mins. Have fun waiting on that.

Kintaro said:
BTW, there is also a bug that can make mages feel the pain of MP regen even more. The timer can reset on your if you switch jobs. For example, you may have 5 minutes left on your 30 min ability, see a node, switch to miner to mine it, switch back to Conj and...oops. Its been reset back to 30 mins. Have fun waiting on that.

I think that one's by design and makes sense when you think about it - whenever you put an ability on your bar it starts its cooldown. I'm guessing it does this to prevent you from using a long cooldown ability, then removing it from the bar, freeing up the action points for using something not on cooldown.

Sucks that it affects a spell that uses 0 action points though (though I could see "My Thaumaturgist is out of MP and has his regen on cooldown, lets switch to my Conjurer and use Tranquility)

Of course if they were in any way shape or form rational when designing casters the MP system wouldn't be so broken to begin with.

Londa

Banned
Kandinsky said:
Combat is an unresponsive mess atm :/

Thats not true at all, inventory was the same on p2.

Deal with its, this is SE, if FFXI taught someting is that they just dont get it, especially when making a mage class :/

Oh stfu already:lol

or you can take your own advice and then block me since I seem to disturb you so much

Kandinsky

Khrno said:
Well then FFXI is totally broken, because BLM and RDM were always awesome jobs, probably the best in the game for basically anything, even tho BLM suffered lots of nerfs I don't think it ever underperformed.

Didn't really get to see much from SCH, but for what I saw in big fights, they were really good, and WHM had many ups and downs, they could have treated them better, but for what a friend has told me recently about her WHM80, it is better than ever.

Oh and SMN, well.. at least they had cooler pets than the other 3 pet classes.
Exactly my point, balance is a huge issue SE has with mage classes, i mean if THM and CON had MP regen now, they would be basically gods at the moment, w'o it they're pretty much gimp, they just dont get it.

Londa said:
or you can take your own advice and then block me since I seem to disturb you so much
Yeah i take that back, you make me laugh so keep going.

Khrno said:
Knowing SE I don't think so. It wouldn't be wise give everything out 3 weeks before release, so it'll be most likely a sample. UI and controls should be the priority to have working bug-free during for the OB.

The gameplay adjustments (leves, exp, gil, skills, timers, drops, etc) is a matter of userbase feedback in the long run anyway.

i'm hoping for a level cap at the most (which is common for OB's anyway). Quests, leve's, mob placement etc should probably be as close to retail as possible.

That's what i'll probably be basing my final opinion on anyway, pick the game up at launch or wait a few months.

Khrno

Kandinsky said:
Exactly my point, balance is a huge issue SE has with mage classes, i mean if THM and CON had MP regen now, they would be basically gods at the moment, w'o it they're pretty much gimp, they just dont get it.

I'm sure they will add MP refresh :)p) in passive mode at the cost of spell damage. I would say it's a fair and good trade off.

fizzelopeguss said:
i'm hoping for a level cap at the most (which is common for OB's anyway). Quests, leve's, mob placement etc should probably be as close to retail as possible.

It well could be either a low level cap (as in 20) with all the content in there up to that level (even if there are higher level mobs on the way between the cities), or a higher cap like 30 with just a sample of the quests and leves.

Jinko

Thats not true at all, inventory was the same on p2.

The Inventory was much faster in Phase 2, there were other problems though like the cursor resetting to the top of the inventory list and the menu's were just as slow.

But dumping items on a retainer or selling to an NPC was nowhere near as time consuming as it is in Phase 3.

falastini

fizzelopeguss said:

That's what i'll probably be basing my final opinion on anyway, pick the game up at launch or wait a few months.

That's what I'm assuming as well. If open beta still doesn't convince me, I guess I can see how CE early-start turns out.

londa said:

Stop it already. Whenever drama pops up your always involved somehow. Why is that?

Kintaro

Mister Zimbu said:
I think that one's by design and makes sense when you think about it - whenever you put an ability on your bar it starts its cooldown. I'm guessing it does this to prevent you from using a long cooldown ability, then removing it from the bar, freeing up the action points for using something not on cooldown.

Sucks that it affects a spell that uses 0 action points though (though I could see "My Thaumaturgist is out of MP and has his regen on cooldown, lets switch to my Conjurer and use Tranquility)

Of course if they were in any way shape or form rational when designing casters the MP system wouldn't be so broken to begin with.

What makes sense is creating a system that would remember the cooldown on your abilities no matter what classes you changed into and out of. All you did was change to a class to mine something and you're being punished for it. That's nonsense and I hope its fixed.

Kandinsky

Jinko said:
The Inventory was much faster in Phase 2, there were other problems though like the cursor resetting to the top of the inventory list and the menu's were just as slow.

But dumping items on a retainer or selling to an NPC was nowhere near as time consuming as it is in Phase 3.
Oh man i dont remember being faster at all, if anything it was slower. Maybe it was because we didnt have page up/down scroll at the time idk.

Khrno

fizzelopeguss said:

From Gamewatch via FFXIVcore

-There are no plans to increase the level cap in Open Beta.

-Open Beta will have almost all the fundamental parts of the game, but it will only include a small portion of storyline quests.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
For someone that isn't in the beta, is the game really that bad? I heard someone bitching about it on a forum yesterday. I still have my CE reserved, but I'm not sure 100% if I should get it.

LowParry

Trojita said:
For someone that isn't in the beta, is the game really that bad? I heard someone bitching about it on a forum yesterday. I still have my CE reserved, but I'm not sure 100% if I should get it.

Best thing to do is wait for open beta.

Trojita said:

Yes, it is that bad.

Jinko

Khrno said:
From Gamewatch via FFXIVcore

-Open Beta will have almost all the fundamental parts of the game, but it will only include a small portion of storyline quests.

So I am guessing the OB will be around 10 GB's, thats guna be fun downloading that.

Husker86

Trojita said:

The whole UI is incredibly laggy, that's my biggest problem with it.

Khrno

Yes, it is that bad.

attachmentsuc.png

Teknoman said:
How is the combat system an unresponsive mess atm?

Alot of my mouseclicks/key presses don't respond with an action. can be a pain to get a rotation going in combat. It's probably the worst though in targeting with the mouse, cycling through with the 360 pad seems to be fine so i doubt it's server lag or regular latency.

SleazyC

Got my beta key this afternoon. Logged in and the game runs horribly on my machine.

Crank down all the settings and get a semi-decent framerate and go through the unskippable cutscenes to come to an NPC thats telling me about some treasure and pointing out where to go on the map and the game locks up every single time on the map. Not sure whats going on but the worst thing about this is the software mouse.

falastini

some extra stuff I don't think was posted yet

via ffxivcore...

F: Tell why you decided to implement Fatigue and Latency (note: I really don't know how to translate that, but it's something in-game to keep you from playing too long at a time on one class).

DK: We'd like you to think of it as a reward to those players who don't have much time to commit to the game. Those hardcore players out there might think it's a little unfair, but the main concept behind it is that you don't need to put in massive amounts of time to enjoy the game.

F: Still though, there are a lot of disgruntled looks coming from those hardcore gamers.

DK: For those who have more time on their hands, they'll be able to try out all the various classes. Fatigue doesn't carry over when you change weapons, so we hope that they'll try out not just battle-oriented classes but maybe some crafting or gathering ones as well. So for those who end up with many high-level classes, they'll have more choices when it comes to any situation, whether solo or party play.

That Lovely Guildleve Delay

F: Will there be a change to the two-day cooldown on guildleves?

DK: There's been a lot of debate over this even among the development staff, so it may or may not. We decided on the current set-up to allow those who only have an hour a day to play to be able to progress only via guildleves, so balance does become an issue. We want to encourage people who've completed their leves to group up and help others, but currently there isn't enough benefit to forming leve parties.

F: Creating a gap in merit between solo and party play seems difficult to manage, though.

DK: Definitely. We want solo play to still be worthwhile, but we also want to add a bonus to those who decide to group up.

F: So soloing will be the basis of the game?

DK: Yes. More than a one-man army, it's more of a slow-and-steady kind of thing. In FFXI many things weren't possible solo, so we'd like to avoid that from developing this time around.

Armor

F: Right now you can't buy armor from vendors, it looks like.

DK: Another point of contention among the staff. We do plan to add some more armor for the beginning part of the game, but we really want to encourage the crafting community to establish itself.
PT: Crafters can't really take part in battle, so we want them to enjoy their role in the game fully.

F: So at a certain point, crafters will become necessary?

DK: Indeed. The depth of play for crafters will also expand. For now, I think providing repairs will be a big source of income for them, and they can even repair their own.

F: It sounds like that will play into their game experience, as well.

DK: It would be pretty easy to design a guildleve around it. A "go to this aetheryte and look for the guy who needs repairs done" kind of thing. Probably a guard at a specific aetheryte.

Auto-translate

F: Aside from set phrases, will you be adding any other ways to communicate with players overseas?

DK: It's something we'll be watching as things progress. Regarding vocabulary not added yet, we'll be listening to the requests of the players. So it's something that can be expanded if needed.

Required Specs

F: The current specs needs to run the game are pretty high. Will they be lower for the official release?

DK: The specs had already been decided. But since then, we've seen the need to lower them a little to cater toward more casual gamers. However currently, there is no difference between the minimum specs for open beta and official release.
PT: Early on, beta wouldn't run properly on certain set-ups, but we've had a chance to smooth most of the wrinkles out.

Servers

F: Will we be able to choose our server once the game is out?

PT: Absolutely.
DK: However, if certain worlds become over-populated, we may add restrictions. As long as everything's normal, you can choose as you wish.

PS3

F: You mentioned it earlier, but can you tell us more about the status of the PS3 version?

PT: We had hoped for a simultaneous release, but there have been problems with linking to the hard disk, etc, and that has caused delays. That being said, even while we're talking here in Germany the staff is hard at work on it back home.

F: So will you be having a PS3 beta test?

PT: Of course. It'll be after the game has been released on PC, so testers will be playing the final version. Once we have a date decided, we'll let you all know.

F: With the start of the PS3 version, more players will be arriving in Eorzea. Will you be adding servers to compensate?

PT: It's a definite possibility.

*Well that about wraps it up. The game comes out soon, so stay tuned!

From Gamewatch

Here's some stuff I picked out that looked interesting:

-About 90% of non-Japanese players had requests concerning mouse control. Most Japanese players use a controller, but Americans, specifically, seem to be more mouse-oriented. They're looking into what can be done.

-Guilds appear to be scattered among the three main cities. Though they're designing it so there won't be any gaps in leveling up to rank 20, it seems that certain cities may be more suitable for certain classes.

-It's not impossible to walk from city to city (though they are rather far apart), but geographically you'll need a boat to go to and from Limsa Lominsa. Distance between cities is similar to FFXI, and if you level up a bit it's not that difficult a journey. So if you're playing with friends, you don't necessarily have to start in the same city.

-There are plans for giving monthly subscription discounts if you purchase three or six months' worth at a time, however details are not yet available.

Well, they say they're considering the leve timer's. That's something I guess.

They also confirm what I assumed about the gear. It will be heavily craft-based, which makes the no AH all the more ridiculous.

Zomba13

Borman said:
So how do you get crystals? And why is it when I die, that nothing pops up allowing me to go back to homepoint?
Crystals are gotten from random enemies you defeat and you have to go into the menu and select return to go back to your homepoint. Don't know why SE didnt add a pop-up.

Alex

The guildleve delay needs to be lower. A lot lower, and if there's one at all, there needs to be stuff to do on the side, besides swap my job and go craft. The theme of FFXIV doesn't need to revolve around doing shit that you may not want to do.

I'm glad they're at least mulling it over now, considering how the interviews went before, it was very scary.

Kintaro

So, our path is clear. Become a crafting guild and completely dominate all facets of crafting on a server. The Mafia of XIV...for that server anyway.

Teknoman

Alex said:
The guildleve delay needs to be lower. A lot lower, and if there's one at all, there needs to be stuff to do on the side, besides swap my job and go craft. The theme of FFXIV doesn't need to revolve around doing shit that you may not want to do.

I'm glad they're at least mulling it over now, considering how the interviews went before, it was very scary.

I'd say at least wait until open beta, and then make decisions on whether or not theres stuff to do on the side. Really really restricted right now.

Also I kinda understand the fatigue thing (if its translated properly). With no real indication of rank caps or limit break caps, you're going to need some time to level up other professions for abilities.

Either way, as always open beta will probably be a pretty different game from phase 3.

Also HG pointed out that I should read what the leve npc has to say about factions. Seems like it'll be a super conquest (read from FFXI) of sorts. Wonder if that will make people more careful about leves they choose in the long run.

EDIT: S-E really really needs to add some sort of color edit for text so we really know when items drop. Also im still not clear on how party loot works.

Zomba13

Kintaro said:
So, our path is clear. Become a crafting guild and completely dominate all facets of crafting on a server. The Mafia of XIV...for that server anyway.
Seems that's what we need to do. Controlling the spice and all that.

Shouta

Teknoman said:
I'd say at least wait until open beta, and then make decisions on whether or not theres stuff to do on the side. Really really restricted right now.

Also I kinda understand the fatigue thing (if its translated properly). With no real indication of rank caps or limit break caps, you're going to need some time to level up other professions for abilities.

It isn't about promoting leveling other jobs. If they wanted to do that, make jobs interact more with bonuses or make it easier to bring other jobs up to rank or something else. Punishing folks for leveling a job "too much" is just stupid, really stupid.

Zomba13

I've made a few discoveries today
1) SE is sillier than I though with this whole Surpls skill being a reminder that you've leveled this class too much too quickly.
2) The robe things with the hoods are awesome and I want one
and 3) I may have found a skillup 'exploit'. Only seems to work in leves though, kinda works on mobs outside but at a much slower rate with small skill ups.
Basically have a friend and and do a 5* easy leve (the bearded rock ones) find a mod. Engage it and get it so the game knows you are fighting it (hit it once or something with a weak attack). Now you have it's attention call over your friend. Cast conj buffs (Stone Skin, cure when theres that tiny amount of hp to heal, Shock spiked, shell, protect etc etc) repeadidly and watch the 200-300 conj skill roll in occasionally. Then kill the mob.
Seems you lose some of the proficency skill if you take too long (say you got 100 right off the bat, nothing for 5 mins, then two lots of 100 in 30 seconds, you'll lose that first 100). Nice way to make some good skill on low level leves.

Also buffs give waaay more skill on a successful skill up than attack spells. Like the other night where I got 1k+ skill for some cures or shock spikes.

Teknoman

Kept crashing so im just going to wait till later to log on again.

I know it probably isnt the best way to handle it (we still dont know what surplus actually means...unless it just means reduced skill point gain and nothing more than that) but no matter what job you play...you're probably going to need some extra skills from another job.

Actually without the exp matter, it was like this in XI to a certain extent. Especially when it comes to certain subjob pairings, BCNMs, or events.

Either way, im sure it'll be adjusted or changed for a better method by open beta close with so many people providing feedback all at once.

jiggle

Zomba13 said:
2) The robe things with the hoods are awesome and I want one

I have the white(low level) version if ya want it

Teknoman said:
Kept crashing so im just going to wait till later to log on again.

I have a pair of Canvas Trousers (rank28) if ya want it

/peddling

LaneDS

It still boggles my mind how little the game design seems to be figured out a month from retail release. They seem to be making half of their decisions up as they go, and that is pretty terrifying.

Is it going to be capped at rank 30 at launch?

gillty

Banned
F: What changed with the beginning of phase three of the beta?
DK: We added a few things, but a couple of big things that changed were the tempo of battle and the feel of the game. Also, for the players outside of Japan, the changes to the mouse controls were probably pretty big.

F: So mouse control was a pretty big deal to users overseas?
PT: I would say about 90% of the feedback we got about things people wanted to see in the game was related to the mouse.
DK: If you look at it globally, there was more feedback about that than anything else.
SS: Outside of Japan, many PC gamers use a mouse as the main controls for all games, from FPS’s to MMORPG’s.
PT: Gamepad and mouse controls are different at the most fundamental of levels. With a gamepad, you have to go through a layered structure command input for control, a mouse needs to be able to get things done with just a click. We have to set the game up to be able to handle both.

F: So there wasn’t much feedback from Japan about all that?
DK: Not really, but we got a lot of feedback about the user interface as a whole, so we’re working around the clock to fix that right now.

JESUS_MIRACLE.GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom