• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I went into this game knowing nothing. I mean I have gone COMPLETE blackout of all info and man, I have no idea how any of the systems work :lol

Kandinsky

Teknoman said:
How is the combat system an unresponsive mess atm?
How is it not? when you click on something you expect it to go the second after, not 2 or 3, you cant tell me with a straight face that retargetting a mole after their annoying ws move is easy, is fucking terrible, what about mages, have you tried combat on a Conj and tried to heal your tank? is fucking offensive, how about when you get locked on on every single action due to the animation, or when you have to go into active mode for everything, from healing to refill your arrows, buffs, flee (and then going passive to take full effect), etc, i could keep going on this but meh, no point.

Londa

Banned
I would suggest not teleporting to skull valley, I got kicked during the teleport and now I can not even view my character in the character selection screen. lol

Everytime I try to log back with my character that is invisible I get an error:lol

Azrael

Londa said:
I would suggest not teleporting to skull valley, I got kicked during the teleport and now I can not even view my character in the character selection screen. lol

Everytime I try to log back with my character that is invisible I get an error:lol

The same thing is happening to me. Got an error while teleporting to market wards. Invisible character, can't log in.

carlo6529 said:
Can anyone tell me what name has to be original when creating a character? The first or last name?

I don't think it matter as long as the combination is not the same as someone else. I saw someone that had the same last name as my character did.

Mandoric

Banned
IonicSnake said:
I don't think it matter as long as the combination is not the same as someone else. I saw someone that had the same last name as my character did.

I've seen easily 20 "(something) Beta"s, and if anyone actually takes advantage of the pretty terrible character port there'll be a lot of (something) Ragnaroks and (something) Phoenixes.

Chris R

Jinko said:
So I am guessing the OB will be around 10 GB's, thats guna be fun downloading that.
It shouldn't be 10 GB, but I doubt the FFXIV devs have streaming working (I'd actually be shocked if they did, seeing as something as simple as hardware mouse seems to be beyond them).

Londa

Banned
I'm starting to get the hang of crafting :)

I also just made a loyal customer and he told me to keep him updated on any more armor I repair and sell. :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Man with the new (kinda) update, monks hits like CRAZY!

BADOM, BADOM, BADOM, BADOM, BADOM = One move

Edit: also 60fps is amazing

Chris R

falastini said:
I had an extra one from the fansite contests. I must have applied to like 5 of them.
I've applied to more than that and nada :( Oh well, Open Beta should be soon I guess :| Still think switching my PC Beta application to PS3 with my FFXIII code was a huge mistake : (

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
My God is this beta fucking garbage.

Oh well, d/c and can't play more tonight most likely! GJ!

nataku

I really hope they have a newer build with a lot of bug fixes ready for the OB. At the very least fix the UI. Any new players who try it out in OB won't give the game a second look if it's is still in the current state it's in.

The more I think about this game the more I get frustrated. They say certain things, like making the game for casual players with only 1-2 hours to play, but the systems they put in place go completely against casual players and really just end up hurting everyone instead.

Teknoman

Kandinsky said:
How is it not? when you click on something you expect it to go the second after, not 2 or 3, you cant tell me with a straight face that retargetting a mole after their annoying ws move is easy, is fucking terrible, what about mages, have you tried combat on a Conj and tried to heal your tank? is fucking offensive, how about when you get locked on on every single action due to the animation, or when you have to go into active mode for everything, from healing to refill your arrows, buffs, flee (and then going passive to take full effect), etc, i could keep going on this but meh, no point.

Well I havent tried anything other than Gladiator and Marauder in this phase, and only fought a few moles...but other than retargeting after the dig attack, its been pretty responsive for me. The rest I cant comment on since I dont have any experience with em yet.

Teknoman

nataku said:
I really hope they have a newer build with a lot of bug fixes ready for the OB. At the very least fix the UI. Any new players who try it out in OB won't give the game a second look if it's is still in the current state it's in.

The more I think about this game the more I get frustrated. They say certain things, like making the game for casual players with only 1-2 hours to play, but the systems they put in place go completely against casual players and really just end up hurting everyone instead.

It'll definitely be a newer build with alot of the fixes, but there will still probably be tons of fixes people will request before retail as well.

Hopefully they actually keep an open line between all region players even during retail.

Oh and when you die: Main menu -> return -> sends you back to the last crystal you hit.

Yoshichan

I swear I played with a GAFer right now :lol We discovered the whole map and said good bye to each other on the beach (which took 2 hours to find)

Alex

I hope there's not tooooo much more accent work in the game. FFXI and XIV show the teams Chrono Cross staff roots so clearly with it, but it can be a little tiring at time in Limsa.

The writing otherwise is most excellent, even better than XI for the more menial bits, and I really respected the work there. Excited to see some of the more important tasks or the more in-depth side stuff. I never hear it much, but for example I really, really liked the things like the Adv. Job quests in XI. Really cool character vignettes.

It's really nice to see titles in the genre focus more and more on writing. Loving the flourish and charm here and the mass humor and parody in Cata.

Good writing in an MMO is becoming fairly important to me, since I'm most interesting in world building and mass character and faction work in games rather than the bullshit melodrama and cutscene spam single player titles inject more and more.

Khrno

rhfb said:
I've applied to more than that and nada :( Oh well, Open Beta should be soon I guess :| Still think switching my PC Beta application to PS3 with my FFXIII code was a huge mistake : (

I had done the same, so I created 3 new SE accounts and applied for the beta on each of them, still got nothing from SE.

Zomba13

Just started getting surplus skill on Conj. Gone from the end of rank 12 to around 3/4 of the way through rank 13. It's not getting too far away from my other classes either as I have PUG and GLAD both at 13. I take it SE wants me to stop playing Conj now and do something else? Not even played it much today. Like an hour or so doing leves.

Khrno

Well, I just got a code from BG and I wasn't even expecting it.

Finally going to see what's this all surplus shit about.

Jinko

rhfb said:
It shouldn't be 10 GB, but I doubt the FFXIV devs have streaming working (I'd actually be shocked if they did, seeing as something as simple as hardware mouse seems to be beyond them).

How not, you have Limsa Lominsa at 3.5 gbs compressed, two new area's and prob a bit more so 9-10 gbs sounds about right to me.

I guess you could subtract 1-1.5 gbs for game code so 7-8 might be more like it, is still a lot either way you look at it, especially with there crappy P2P sharing.

Chris R

Jinko said:
How not, you have Limsa Lominsa at 3.5 gbs compressed, two new area's and prob a bit more so 9-10 gbs sounds about right to me.

I guess you could subtract 1-1.5 gbs for game code so 7-8 might be more like it, is still a lot either way you look at it, especially with there crappy P2P sharing.
No I wasn't saying the size of the full game wouldn't be that big (I'm expecting bigger). I just was meaning the game doesn't have to my knowledge "streaming" where you only download areas/textures/animations you see and only download the other stuff when needed. If you have a fat enough pipe the system works great. So if you only created a character and started in a single city the game would download that city partially during your character creation and continue to stream in the remaining content while you watch the opening cinematic. Then it would start to download the first area connected to that town ect. So you could start playing with an initial download of like 500 mb instead of 10gb.

Jinko

These guildleves suck, just got an R0 on a leve that would have given 350 GLD guild marks, how fucking lame.

Hope they sort this shit out before launch.

Zomba13

Jinko said:
These guildleves suck, just got an R0 on a leve that would have given 350 GLD guild marks, how fucking lame.

So true. Really annoying when you just start a leve and then get an R0 or runtime error or some shit and then lose out on it. They should make it so when you reconnect you are still in the leve but the time were were offline has gone. Like you drop just after starting it and cant get on for 5 mins then you'd still have 25 mins of the leve left (same if you d/s in the middle with 3/6 enemies killed. When you get back you should pick up where you left off)

Londa

Banned
Jinko said:

Yesterday I got r0 on two leve's. :(

Azrael

Square Enix broke the Miner class beyond belief by making low-level nugget synths require fire crystals. Who the hell is going to synth, say, bronze nuggets when an NPC sells them for 40 gil apiece and the fire crystals to make them are incredibly rare at low levels and sell for thousands of gil? Blacksmiths are better off getting their nuggets from NPCs and crafting items like nails and fish hooks with shards instead. I think for the time being I am done with mining.

I'm starting to rethink what direction I want to go with crafting in retail based on problems like this, as well as the interdependency of crafting classes with no real economy to support it. Initially I wanted to do Miner, Blacksmith, and Armorer because they would complement Gladiator. But perhaps the best route at launch will be to go Culinarian, since at least that class should be pretty self-sufficient and I won't need components made from three other classes just to cook something. Then when SE gets its head out of its ass other crafting classes may actually be viable.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Jinko said:

For me as PUG it only give me conjurer marks :(

Also many r0's here too

Jinko

Gromph said:
For me as PUG it only give me conjurer marks :(

Also many r0's here too

The guild marks change, I have had THA, ARC and GLD so far, dont' have enough to buy anything yet though.

Square Enix broke the Miner class beyond belief by making low-level nugget synths require fire crystals. Who the hell is going to synth, say, bronze nuggets when an NPC sells them for 40 gil apiece and the fire crystals to make them are incredibly rare at low levels and sell for thousands of gil? Blacksmiths are better off getting their nuggets from NPCs and crafting items like nails and fish hooks with shards instead. I think for the time being I am done with mining.

Item placement will change, I'm not expecting to see mining resources on any NPC at starter area's and if it does happen it will be a limited amount.

Cook will make next to no money for the first few months, but once people start to get to a point where food buffs are more worthwhile, rank 30+ it will prob be a massive income.

Best way to make money out the starting gate will probably be gathering, name your retainer something like CraftingMATZ :p

Londa

Banned
Jinko said:
The guild marks change, I have had THA, ARC and GLD so far, dont' have enough to buy anything yet though.

Item placement will change, I'm not expecting to see mining resources on any NPC at starter area's and if it does happen it will be a limited amount.

Cook will make next to no money for the first few months, but once people start to get to a point where food buffs are more worthwhile, rank 30+ it will prob be a massive income.

Best way to make money out the starting gate will probably be gathering, name your retainer something like CraftingMATZ :p

Yeah because i can see that crafters will be the source for all gear. Crafters need the materials to make it.

Zomba13

Just logged back on after logging off not long after making my last post and I'm still getting conj surplus. Is here a real reason? I thought maybe it was playing it too much in 1 sitting but I've had a good few hours break. It cant be because it's too close to my Phys level as it's 7 levels higher and it can't be because it's getting too far ahead of my other classes because it's 1 level about PUG and GLAD which are both at 13.
Anyone know he way to stop surplus exp? Or is it just stop playing this class and move on to a new one?

Azrael

Londa said:
Its only broken for beta, because I can't see SE vendering harder to get metal's in town. The only way to get these metals is from a miner or kill a mob that drops it.

If anyone wants to craft their gear, I have found a good link for recipes.

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/wiki/en/Category:Recipes

Good info. For open beta I think I'm going to try Gridania and do Harvesting, Alchemy, and Culinarian. Looks like the path of least resistance.

Chris R

Jinko said:
Ideally you would see one of two things.

1) NPCs sell nothing related to crafting at all that can come from a player. If it drops in the real world, don't allow the NPC to sell it.

2) NPCs sell items related to low level crafting, but at "market price". AKA if an item takes 2 of those and one of that, make the NPC sell it for the current AH average price of the components over the past 3 or 4 days or however the market takes to balance a price out, plus a little "profit" for the NPC.

Because if the system stays as it is now, or is similar to the system found in FFXI, where NPCs sell low level synthesized items for cut rate prices, bad things will happen. Even more so if a majority of the items are supposed to be coming from players crafting them and not from drops.

jiggle

is the disappearing mobs a glitch?
i encountered it with zomba during a leve

and again when soloing the same leve

mobs just disappear but will continue to hit you even though you can't target it ever again

a regular mob did this too, some firefly thing in a cave

Azrael

Jinko said:

What they need to do is change low-level synths like copper nuggets and ingots to require fire shards instead of fire crystals. Looking over the recipe list, very few low-level synths require crystals, but Miners have been given the shaft with their low-level yields requiring crystals to work with.

falastini

I noticed this on ffxivcore

Off note update: We'll be publishing a second interview within the coming weeks. Previously we said it would be up today, but due to a couple of factors it's been delayed.Also, we have some very interesting things in store in the near future, stay tuned!

I wonder if SE asked them to not put it up for obvious reasons :lol.

Khrno

falastini said:
I wonder if SE asked them to not put it up for obvious reasons :lol.

To delay the shitstorm? I don't think so, they'd make them not to post it instead, unless it has some sort of news that they want to give away on certain date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom