• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravidrath

I tried crafting and harvesting out today.

Crafting needs a major UI overhaul, but the fundamentals seem solid enough. I'm curious how they're going to expand it... I'm guessing with more manuals? I also wonder if we'll eventually see group synthesis circle jerks ala Synergy - could be cool to see you whack on the thing, throw it to someone else who sews it, etc.

Harvesting was a big surprise - not only was running around and doing stuff more relaxing than expected, the Experience Points rewards were fantastic. So much so that I'm thinking my first order of business in the final game may be to level some harvesting jobs for Physical levels before I start in on others.

RuGalz

They want crafting to play such big role that I think they should just introduce crafting renki. That would get people to group. :lol

Ravidrath

I'd really like them to break the inventory up into more "pockets," BTW.

This would be really helpful for gearing up, but also crafting - right now scrolling to the bottom of your inventory to get to the crafting mats is really annoying, especially on a gamepad.

I think the pockets should be...

Weapons
Armor
Materials
Parts
Crystals
Key Items​

Materials would be for crafting materials, like ore, lumber, thread, etc.

Parts would be the intermediary crafting items that get assembled into final items - things like like plates, hilts, blades, etc.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Khrno said:
To delay the shitstorm? I don't think so, they'd make them not to post it instead, unless it has some sort of news that they want to give away on certain date.

The need to prepare video #5 for the interview :lol :lol

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I like this part of the interview.

F: What about pet classes, like FFXI’s beastmaster?
DK: There was a lot of feedback asking for those. We’d like to be able to provide that, but it might come in an expansion…

F: …or it might be in a patch. We get it (He laughs)
DK: If you put a pet class in right from release, balance is really difficult, so right now we’re not putting them in.

Zomba13

FFXIV Beta Site said:
Thank you for participating in the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test.

The current Beta Test Phase 3 (Beta 3) will end on August 25 at 5:00pm (PDT), and we plan to start the Open Beta Test in early September.
We look forward to your continued help and support.

*After Beta 3 ends, all character data will be deleted.
*For the period during which a beta test is not being conducted, players will not be able to access the Players’ Site.
*Once the test’s character data have been deleted, all blogs and images on the Players’ Site will also be deleted.

From the beta site.

Jinko

I'm in two minds about not bothering with the open beta, I doubt I could resist making a Gridania character and I don't want to spoil that area, or Ul'dah for that matter.

I have to say that I have found this whole beta experience to be kind of a waste of time, sure it was nice to get a chance to play the game but it seems as if much of the feedback given on the forums has been ignored.

The biggest things which need to be fixed IMO are:-
1. Party Play
2. Mouse Controls
3. Guildleves, both the fact you can fail on a Dc/R0 and the reset timer.
4. Menu speed, especially when selling and transfering items.
5. Retainers, so much wrong here TBH, search function would be nice.

All of these were brought up in the latest Famitsu interview so hopefully they get them sorted.

Edit:- SE are very short sighted to think that the retainer system will work, people are more likely to shout in a city for the item they want than spend 40 mins plus looking for it in the market wards.

nataku

Stopping in the middle of the week seems kind of odd, but oh well. I had just ordered more RAM, too. I wanted to see if it helped out in the current beta.

EDIT: Also, people that just got their beta keys a couple days ago... poor guys. :lol

Londa

Banned
To note is that the current build on show at Gamescom is the open beta version, same version that we'll be getting to see when open beta launches in early September. After that there's also a so-called "retail" version which is further ahead.

This makes me happy.

falastini

Ravidrath said:
I'd really like them to break the inventory up into more "pockets," BTW.

This would be really helpful for gearing up, but also crafting - right now scrolling to the bottom of your inventory to get to the crafting mats is really annoying, especially on a gamepad.

I think the pockets should be...

Weapons
Armor
Materials
Parts
Crystals
Key Items​

Materials would be for crafting materials, like ore, lumber, thread, etc.

Parts would be the intermediary crafting items that get assembled into final items - things like like plates, hilts, blades, etc.

I don't like how the item storage currently works in-game.

- equipped gear shouldn't take up space in your bags
- arrows shouldn't take up individual slots in bag... why do ranged users have to sacrifice half their bag for ammo? I know they added the stupid quiver function in FFXI eventually, but it was an awkward solution for this problem.
- HQ loot? do i really have to waste 3 slots on rat tails, because I happened to get +1 and +2 versions?

The way it's setup now, players are going to run out of bag space quick. Especially if they want to carry extra gear for their second/third class they're leveling up.

They did put crystals in their own slot. I'll give them credit for that.

p.s... since putting an item on bazaar takes it out of your bags, you can abuse it to save space. Just take anything on your bag and put it for sale at a high price (so nobody nabs it).... free bag space.

nataku

If they insist on keeping the terrible timer on Guildleves they really need to put some kind of in game timer showing how long until I can get more.

Still, any timer is retarded. It's probably a way for SE to try and slow down leveling, but people are going to level regardless, even if they have to grind on mobs. All they're really succeeding at doing is making leveling alternate jobs a pain in the ass.

Jinko

nataku said:
If they insist on keeping the terrible timer on Guildleves they really need to put some kind of in game timer showing how long until I can get more.

Still, any timer is retarded. It's probably a way for SE to try and slow down leveling, but people are going to level regardless, even if they have to grind on mobs. All they're really succeeding at doing is making leveling alternate jobs a pain in the ass.

I would think its more to do with keeping the ecomeny in check, leves provide both armour and gil, obviouslty they could make all armour unique or provide guild marks instead of gil so you can buy armour from an NPC.

Anyone who has played FF11 knows how obbessive SE are when it comes to RMT and they don't care if it means punishing the player to get the issue sorted either.

Londa

Banned
Jinko said:
I would think its more to do with keeping the ecomeny in check, leves provide both armour and gil, obviouslty they could make all armour unique or provide guild marks instead of gil so you can buy armour from an NPC.

Anyone who has played FF11 knows how obbessive SE are when it comes to RMT and they don't care if it means punishing the player to get the issue sorted either.

I just hate how they got rid of MPK.

nataku

Jinko said:

Which is hilarious considering the current retainer/no AH system benefits RMT.

hgplayer1

I was picking up my guildleves for today and was trying to select only leves for Azeyma's Shields. I noticed that if I viewed a leve then back out of it, then viewed it again the faction in the evaluation field would change. So I was able to get all my leves to show Azeyma's Shields faction evaluation.

Coldsnap

Jinko said:

What? no way. The first few years of FFXI RMT was so so bad, the RMT were running around with "JerryM" "JerryB" names and being so obviouse and SE still didn't do anything. Then they made a half assed push later which banned the obvious ones but around when I quit I was still in a guide which was 99% RMT players that controlled all the HNM spawns on our server.

Salaadin

Coldsnap said:
What? no way. The first few years of FFXI RMT was so so bad, the RMT were running around with "JerryM" "JerryB" names and being so obviouse and SE still didn't do anything. Then they made a half assed push later which banned the obvious ones but around when I quit I was still in a guide which was 99% RMT players that controlled all the HNM spawns on our server.

From what I understand, theyre doing a pretty good job now. Do they still release those reports from the Special Victims Unit or whatever it was called to tell us how many got banned and how much gil made it back into circulation?

Londa

Banned
Salaadin said:
From what I understand, theyre doing a pretty good job now. Do they still release those reports from the Special Victims Unit or whatever it was called to tell us how many got banned and how much gil made it back into circulation?

You have a good point however, people just want to focus on the negative.

hgplayer1

lookit this ugly sumbitch

ffxivgame2010-08-2316-10-32-22.jpg

I dont remember ever having seen a pic of this one.

Zomba13

The current beta phase while not exactly great wasn't too bad. Theres a lot of work to be done but it's mostly about stuff that SE refuses to listen to. Like Surplus exp, Guild leve times (I bet there would be a lot less bitching if it was a 24 hour cooldown rather than 48 hours, thats all I ask for anyway), Bazaar/market wards/ No AH at launch and ofcourse the interface problems people have been talking about since the Alpha.
Apart from those the game is pretty good. I'm not a fan of the gathering stuff (definitely not the fishing, might find mining/botany better now as the servers aren't as laggy as when I tried) but people seem happy with it, same with crafting (it could be a bit better explained but the premise seems good with lots of recipies and chances for skill ups etc), combat also is fine. Only thing combat wise I'd change is MP regen for mage classes and again I don't want anything too extreme as to make them broken. Maybe lower the cooldown on their mp replenish or increase the amount of mp restored through their weapon skill (1mp out of every 20 damage is XD worthy).
Only other thing I can think of is the interface problems with inventory that was fine in Phase 2. I'm sure they'll fix that though, I mean if it was fine before what's stopping them from looking at how it was and figuring out how to bring it back.

jiggle

Jinko said:

wasn't always like that
it was that one christmas when an exploit led to $5/mil sales, that caused all items on Ah to skyrocket in value (900k for NQ ele staff, 10k a stack of crystals :lol)
THEN, they started cracking down hard

Chris R

falastini said:

- arrows shouldn't take up individual slots in bag... why do ranged users have to sacrifice half their bag for ammo? I know they added the stupid quiver function in FFXI eventually, but it was an awkward solution for this problem.
- HQ loot? do i really have to waste 3 slots on rat tails, because I happened to get +1 and +2 versions?

The way it's setup now, players are going to run out of bag space quick. Especially if they want to carry extra gear for their second/third class they're leveling up.

p.s... since putting an item on bazaar takes it out of your bags, you can abuse it to save space. Just take anything on your bag and put it for sale at a high price (so nobody nabs it).... free bag space.
Please tell me this is a joke post and that the item system isn't really this bad/broken so close to launch.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Been away for a good long time (not that I really looked into alot of info)

So....

how's it going?

I see some problems, according to posts. Anything that "could" be fixable, or look to be broken for "long term"

When was release date, and will that date be more of a "paid beta" versus a retail launch?

Kandinsky

falastini said:
Yeah too bad bazaar slots caps at 10:lol

jiggle

rhfb said:
Please tell me this is a joke post and that the item system isn't really this bad/broken so close to launch.

mobs can drop like a bunch of dif items too
so the bag definitely do get filled fast with random crap
it's a bigger problem in beta because there's no place to sell these
and dumping them on NPC is slow and painful

another negative is there's no "sort" option

u do start the game off with 80 slots though
and you get an additiona 80 slots with your retainer (NPC)
so that's good

not something I'm too worry about in the sea of other problems the game has

Lonestar said:
I see some problems, according to posts. Anything that "could" be fixable, or look to be broken for "long term"

off the top of my head, these are some of the bigger problems

1) The lack of AH
2) Penalty for playing a job for too long
3) Unresponsive control
4) Unresponsive mouse
5) Slow menu
6) Only 8 leve(quests) flaggable ever 48 hours
7) Solo better rewarded than party (but both are slow)
8) random glitches/crashes
9) no short cut keys
10) can't see other player's stats/armors
11) no good way for mages to regain mp (can't rest in this game)

most should be fixable by launch?
but they don't sound willing to fix some of them?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
falastini said:

On top of this, there is no player mail system so people can't send each other things.

The HQ non-equipment loot thing? Hilariously stupid.

Londa

Banned
Kintaro said:
On top of this, there is no player mail system so people can't send each other things.

The HQ non-equipment loot thing? Hilariously stupid.

Because this is a beta and they haven't released player homes yet. How do you think people would get their mail if they have no mog home???

Kuraine

Neo Member
So I tried gathering and crafting today.

Mining is actually fairly fun. I love the fact that the mining pick transforms and snaps into place when you ready it :lol More weapons ought to do this.

Crafting, however, is a complete cluster-fuck:

- Extremely long network wait time between screens in this mode.

- When loading the "crafting interface", the network Recieve meter goes off the charts. As in, R600-800 as opposed to my usual under-100 number. It seems to be pinging the servers for information on every single thing in your inventory, which nearly crashes the client.

- When I scroll through the inventory items to choose something to add to my ingredient box, every single movement "down" seriously takes two seconds to complete. I have SIXTY FOUR items in my inventory, and the most recent (copper ore) are at the bottom. It took me several minutes to scroll down to this ore, and the music started glitching out every time I scrolled. This should never happen.

- Actually crafting means you choose from one of three options... which is cool, except there's a random chance to do good or bad at said option, and it doesn't necessarily ever become clear why choosing one is better than another at any given time. The first time I used 4 Copper Ore to create 12 Copper Nuggets... great! The second time, I failed at 50% because I used up all my durability and botched the synthesis... not as great! I have no idea what I did the 2nd time to fail. This is a problem.

Guess I'll be relying on others to get my equip.

Kandinsky

Londa said:
Because this is a beta and they haven't released player homes yet. How do you think people would get their mail if they have no mog home???
What are you going to say when theres no housing of any kind on launch day (if it doesnt get delayed).
Londa said:
where is the mail box going to be with no player homes?
Wow.

Londa

Banned
Kandinsky said:
What are you going to say when theres no housing of any kind on launch day (if it doesnt get delayed).

You don't know what they will or will not have that they have not already told us won't be on launch day. So over thinking what will and won't be there that we have no idea won't be there is useless.

If they don't have player housing of no kind. I still will play the game and play my monthly fee every month. But I'm not an idiot that thinks that SE wouldn't put in player housing of any kind.

Shouta said:
Anywhere? You can have mailboxes to pick up mail without having player homes.

If they plan to have player homes. Why would they do that instead of waiting to release the player homes that have a mail in them?

Chris R

Londa said:
If they plan to have player homes. Why would they do that instead of waiting to release the player homes that have a mail in them?
To make sure people can get mail pretty much anywhere in the world and so they could ya know test the mail system?

Please tell me looting auto groups items now instead of forcing you to continue to stack your own items.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I've never had so much fun cutting trees in a virtual world :eek:

Londa said:
where is the mail box going to be with no player homes?

Have you never played an MMO that wasn't FFXI before?

Londa

Banned
rhfb said:
To make sure people can get mail pretty much anywhere in the world and so they could ya know test the mail system?

Please tell me looting auto groups items now instead of forcing you to continue to stack your own items.

We only have Limsa so to them it isn't a pressing issue. Because they know Beta3 was only going to be around for 3 weeks. We don't even have a friendlist. Do you really think they wouldn't give us that too because its not in Beta 3?

nataku

Londa said:
We only have Limsa so to them it isn't a pressing issue. Because they know Beta3 was only going to be around for 3 weeks. We don't even have a friendlist. Do you really think they wouldn't give us that too because its not in Beta 3?

I really hope they have an ignore list to go with that friends list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom