• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Well Ill be on Garland regardless for the final game. My sister and her friends from Diabolos are joining us and my old buddies from Midgar are coming as well as some weirdo from Fairy so itll be too hard to reorganize with everyone now.

Khrno

Found this Lalafell figure:

61242.jpg

Zomba13

Salaadin said:
Well Ill be on Garland regardless for the final game. My sister and her friends from Diabolos are joining us and my old buddies from Midgar are coming as well as some weirdo from Fairy so itll be too hard to reorganize with everyone now.
What if they don't keep the names? You could join us then unless they keep the names and we don't go to garland.

Also I'm a Member now :eek: when did that happen?

Decay24

Neo Member
If they change the server names then we'd probably go with you guys. I'm apparently the weirdo from Fairy in Sal's previous post. Thanks pal.

Jinko

Gulkeeva has listed all the abilities for all known classes on his website.

The Crafting ones are interesting, hints at what element to specialize in for specific crafting classes.

ie: Armourer = Earth, Cooking = Water, Goldsmithing = Ice etc.

Goldsmithing

Lv10 - Epiphany
Increases chance for improved craftsmanship of next synthesis. most effective for parts.

Lv15 - Hasty hand
Advances synthesis progress. Most effective for parts.

Lv20 - Brand of ice
Temporarily improves stability of harnessed ice elements.

Lv30 - Close inspection
Reduces risk of next synthesis. most effective for decorations.

Lv30 - Voidsent eluder
temporarily avoid enemy encounters. effective against voidsent.

Lv35 - Pride of labor
Advances synthesis progress. most effective for decorations.

Lv40 - Manipulation
Temporarily increases influence of dexterity on craftsmanship.

Lv50 - Inspiration
Temporarily increases craftsmanship of next synthesis. most effective for decorations.

Salaadin

Zomba13 said:
What if they don't keep the names? You could join us then unless they keep the names and we don't go to garland.

Also I'm a Member now :eek: when did that happen?
If the names change, then I'll try to join you guys. I'd love to be on the gaf server.

Zomba13

Theres a dat viewer thingie available here http://rapture.no-ip.org/

Can play sound effects/music and view textures. Takes a while to scan for the files but it works pretty well. I don't know where textures are stored though so i'm just scrolling through the (thousands of) files untill a texture pops up.

Napophis

Was anyone from Toronto able to find a place doing Midnight launch for the Collector's Edition? the 3-4 EBgames i called said they weren't ><

Salaadin

Zomba13 said:
Theres a dat viewer thingie available here http://rapture.no-ip.org/

Can play sound effects/music and view textures. Takes a while to scan for the files but it works pretty well. I don't know where textures are stored though so i'm just scrolling through the (thousands of) files untill a texture pops up.
nvm

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jinko said:
Gulkeeva has listed all the abilities for all known classes on his website.

The Crafting ones are interesting, hints at what element to specialize in for specific crafting classes.

ie: Armourer = Earth, Cooking = Water, Goldsmithing = Ice etc.

*vomit*

Ugh...

Darte

Goldsmithing

Lv10 - Epiphany
Increases chance for improved craftsmanship of next synthesis. most effective for parts.

Lv15 - Hasty hand
Advances synthesis progress. Most effective for parts.

Lv20 - Brand of ice
Temporarily improves stability of harnessed ice elements.

Lv30 - Close inspection
Reduces risk of next synthesis. most effective for decorations.

Lv30 - Voidsent eluder
temporarily avoid enemy encounters. effective against voidsent.

Lv35 - Pride of labor

Lv40 - Manipulation

Lv50 - Inspiration
Temporarily increases craftsmanship of next synthesis. most effective for decorations.

Lv35 - Pride of labor

Lv40 - Manipulation

Lv50 - Inspiration

Lv40 - Manipulation
...wait wut? So does that mean dex has some degree of influence on crafts to begin with?!

Jinko

Think I found Hermes Boots
bootslg.jpg

...wait wut? So does that mean dex has some degree of influence on crafts to begin with?!

Not just Dex, for Armourer you can use Vit to influence your craft, remember these can be changed out between classes so it doesn't matter which you use, I guess you can mix and match to best suit your needs.

So for example you would switch the Armourer VIT skill with the Goldsmith DEX skill and it would have the same/similar effect.

Shouta

Alex said:
I remember our GAF FFXI LS at launch. Man, we had some douchebags in there at release :lol. They all filtered out fast though, I think. I left to go play with some rl/beta friends.

Our launch GAFshell had the perfect name though. You FFXI GAFers are still using SoD right? When we were picking that, I was always surprised Shouta didn't protest it at the time since all he did was rail on Suikoden. Which is now, of course, an utterly worthless franchise. Oh time, how you make fools of us all.

I railed on Suikoden 3 only. And yes, we're still using SoD though the original pearl was lost because of my account getting hacked and then server getting changed.

Darte

Jinko said:
So for example you would switch the Armourer VIT skill with the Goldsmith DEX skill and it would have the same/similar effect.

That much I gleaned from the entire system, but I'm more curious as to how stats affect crafts outside of those abilities/traits. Physical levels making a difference in craft classes? :O

Londa

Banned
In anticipation of the upcoming FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test, a number of new sections have been added to the game manual.

- Means of Communication
- The Friend List and the Blacklist

The entire manual is now available for testers to view.

* All game content covered within the manual is still under development.

Can anyone get this info?

Also yay new update. I have my harddrive at work so I'm ready to download :D

Munba

Yes i noticed but also now when the big patch is downloading, it's all extremely laggy. Never had this problem.

edit: it seems that this patch is not gridania and uldah, they are already included in our client. °.°

Jinko

Londa said:
Can anyone get this info?

Also yay new update. I have my harddrive at work so I'm ready to download :D

Chat Modes
[Say]
Any message input in the say chat mode can be seen by any and all players in the immediate vicinity. It is the default chat mode, and messages displayed in this manner will appear in white. This chat mode is activated by prefacing a message with either /say or simply /s. In addition, the active chat mode may be set to say mode by entering the command /chatmode say or /chatmode s without a message following.

[Party]
Any message input in the party chat mode can be seen by any and all party members. Messages displayed in this manner appear in blue. This chat mode is activated by prefacing a message with /party or simply /p. In addition, the active chat mode may be set to party mode by entering the command /chatmode party or /chatmode p without a following message.

[Linkshell]
Any message input in the linkshell chat mode can be seen by any and all players in the equipped linkshell. Messages displayed in this manner appear in green. This chat mode is activated by prefacing a message with either /linkshell or simply /l. In addition, the active chat mode can be set to linkshell mode by entering the command /chatmode linkshell or /chatmode l without a following message.

[Tell]
Any message input in the tell chat mode can be seen only by a single designated player. Messages displayed in this manner appear in pink. This chat mode is activated by prefacing a message with /tell or simply /t and the name of the PC. The active chat mode can be set to tell mode by entering the command /chatmode tell or /chatmode t followed by the name of the PC with whom you would like to chat. During the Beta Test phase, PC names must be entered in their entirety (first and last names).

[Shout]
Shout chat mode is much like say chat mode, with the sole difference being that messages can be seen by players in a much wider area. Messages displayed in this manner appear in light pink. This chat mode is activated by prefacing a message with either /shout or simply /sh. The active chat mode cannot be set to shout mode.

[Echo]
Any message input in the echo chat mode can be seen only by the player who input the message. Messages displayed in this manner appear in gray. This chat mode is activated by prefacing a message with either /echo or simply /e. The active chat mode cannot be set to echo mode.

Examples of Chat Commands
/say /say Good afternoon.
/s /s Good afternoon.
/party /party Good afternoon.
/tell [first name] [last name] /tell [first name] [last name] Good afternoon.
/t [first name] [last name] /t [first name] [last name] Good afternoon.
/shout /shout Good afternoon.
/sh /sh Good afternoon.
* All commands must begin with a / (forward slash) and contain only half-width characters.

Emotes and Signs
This feature allows players to use expressions, gestures, and signs to communicate with other players. The Emote & Signs menu is bound to the N key in the default keyboard setup, and can also be accessed by selecting the second icon from the right on the action bar.

Emotes and signs are broken down into: emotes, enemy signs, and ally signs.

Emotes
Emotes are a collection of expressions and gestures that can be used to convey the emotional state of your character. The emote list can be accessed by selecting the Emote tab from the Emotes & Signs window.

Enemy Signs
While in a party, players can express their various desires regarding monsters in the field. Players can suggest ways of attacking or slowing down specific enemies.
Enemy signs can only be used when you are participating in a levequest.

Selecting the Enemy Signs tab from the Emotes & Signs window will display the enemy signs list. Select the message you would like to convey to your party members while selecting a monster with your cursor and your enemy sign will be displayed over the monster's name.
Enemy signs can also be performed through text commands.

Ally Signs
While in a party, players can express various desires to other members of the party. Players can suggest use of a Battle Regimen and agree with other members' suggestions.

Selecting the Ally Signs tab from the Emotes & Signs window will display the ally signs list. Select the message you would like to convey to your party members and your ally sign will be displayed over your name.

Ally signs can also be performed with the sign0 to sign7 text commands.

Dictionary
Open the dictionary by pressing the Tab key while entering a message. In addition to completing the word or phrase you were entering, the completed text will be intelligently displayed to players in the language they are using.

en_manual_02.jpg

There are two ways to use the dictionary:
1.Searching for text based on what you've entered
Suggestions will be displayed based on the entered text.

2.Searching by Category
You can display various categories to search by opening the dictionary and pressing the Tab key without having entered anything into the chat field.

Examine
Targeting another player character will cause Examine to appear in the Interactions menu. Select Examine, and that player character's equipment will be displayed. By forming a party with others, players will be able to defeat monsters and complete guildleves of a difficulty unthinkable to the solo adventurer. A single party may contain up to 15 characters.

Friend List
The friend list allows players to see the login status of characters registered to that list and to send tells to them.

* Select Friend List under Social Lists on the main menu to display the friend list window.
* Select a character name from the list to send that character a tell or to delete the character from your list. Select Add to add a new character to your list.

Blacklist
The blacklist prevents messages from characters registered to the list from displaying in the log widget.

* Select Blacklist under Social Lists on the main menu to display the blacklist window.
* Select a character name from the list to delete that character from your list. Select Add to add a new character to your list.

*You cannot register a character on your friend list to your blacklist. Likewise, you cannot register a character on your blacklist to your friend list.

Access Restriction on Beta Test Site

Along with the start of open beta test on Wednesday, Sep. 1, 2010 at 2:00 (GMT), threads under "Beta Test" and "Discussion" on FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test Site will become unavailable to those of you who have registered the registration code on your own to participate in FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

OB testers don't get to use the beta site by the looks of it.

Munba

Enemy signs can only be used when you are participating in a levequest.

Why SE must put a nonsense here and there? >_< grr

edit: btw these info are also in EU site, in the manual internally, not still in the news section.

Londa

Banned
the whole sign thing is new, so I guess this will be a easier way to tell your party what the plan is. Hope it doesn't become useless and no one uses it lol.

Jinko

People aren't going to use the signs, most people in guildleves will spam AoE's as much as they can to gain as many skillpoints as possible per battle, unless it's a very hard guildleve i don't see people taking any set course in killing order.

Munba

Yes, i think the signs will be used for "raid/hard" content only. Or simply a party pick a GL without making it, only to have it in the time GL lasts :D

Salaadin

Have they touched on the open beta codes that theyre supposed to email out to closed beta testers yet? The beta is tomorrow and I havent seen anything else about it.

Jinko

Salaadin said:
Have they touched on the open beta codes that theyre supposed to email out to closed beta testers yet? The beta is tomorrow and I havent seen anything else about it.

Prob going to give out codes in phases, I imagine they will want to get the exsisting users up and running first.

Supposedly there are now 20 servers in total for OB.

Khrno

Londa said:
omg, please tell me this is offical.

I don't think it's official, SE character figures have no clothing and are always ugly made from bad pvc, unless they cost $200.

Salaadin said:

My friend's EU account (invited for phase 2) has the FFXIV Beta active in the Services status.

My NA account made to use the phase 3 code is active until the 21st of September.

My 3 EU accounts that I used to apply for the beta directly with SE, say nothing about the beta, no emails yet either.

Darte said:
That much I gleaned from the entire system, but I'm more curious as to how stats affect crafts outside of those abilities/traits. Physical levels making a difference in craft classes? :O

I don't think the physical level will affect them in any other way besides than being at the level cap will give you the most stat points to allocate on the specific craft stat.

Salaadin

Khrno said:
My friend's EU account (invited for phase 2) has the FFXIV Beta active in the Services status.

My NA account made to use the phase 3 code is active until the 21st of September.

My 3 EU accounts that I used to apply for the beta directly with SE, say nothing about the beta, no emails yet either.at.

Hmm, I just checked my Services and it says that my beta is only active until 9/11/2010

Bento

So, has there been any information where one will be able to download the OB client? I really hope they don't go the Fileplanet route of OB were I need to purchase membership with Fileplanet to get in...

Probably would if so : (( I really need to play this to try out the Gladiator, Archer and the Conjurer, those are currently the classes I'm choosing between. Do we have any vibe of what could potentially be needed in a GAF guild? Like do we have an abundance of Conjurers? : P

Khrno

Salaadin said:
Hmm, I just checked my Services and it says that my beta is only active until 9/11/2010

Actually my friends' says the same, but in July it said it active until July 31st. So don't bother about that date, it must get updated every week or so.

Jinko

Salaadin said:

10/09/2010 here, I am guessing that part of the maintenance tomorrow is to extend our beta times, at least I hope :S

Salaadin

ANyone having issues with this update? Its all downloaded but then it goes to install, it gets to 98.3% and then locks up and hits me with an error.

Kandinsky

Salaadin said:
ANyone having issues with this update? Its all downloaded but then it goes to install, it gets to 98.3% and then locks up and hits me with an error.
I'll let you know next week when it finish D;

Jinko

Salaadin said:

I had this happen to me last phase, it's was caused by some of the files being read only or something, I tried to change the files but had no luck, had to end up downloading and reinstalling from scratch.

Hope it doesn't happen to me again.

Salaadin

Jinko said:
I had this happen to me last phase, it's was caused by some of the files being read only or something, I tried to change the files but had no luck, had to end up downloading and reinstalling from scratch.

Hope it doesn't happen to me again.

Oh man lol. I might wait and see if I torrent or direct download pops up somewhere then. I dont want to download it from SE again it this is going to happen again.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Shouta said:
I railed on Suikoden 3 only. And yes, we're still using SoD though the original pearl was lost because of my account getting hacked and then server getting changed.

I actually liked Suikoden 3 :/

So, can a person that hasn't been in on the previous beta's, go ahead and pre-download the data that I'd need for Open Beta?

Salaadin

How do I use utorrent for the patch file? Id like to give that a shot.

EDIT: Nvm, FOund it. Its in the metainfo folder.

EDIT2: 118 seeds but I cant connect to any of them. This is going slower than the updater.

hgplayer1

Lonestar said:
I actually liked Suikoden 3 :/

So, can a person that hasn't been in on the previous beta's, go ahead and pre-download the data that I'd need for Open Beta?

its in the OP. Ive never used it myself so I cant tell you how to go about it.

notworksafe

Just download and install the "Beta Client Downloader" in the OP, then download the "SquareEnix.rar" and UnRAR to C:\Users\*user*\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6 after installing the Beta but before updating. Then run the updater to get the rest of the updates.

For future reference, the directions are in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom