• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khrno

Lonestar said:
So, can a person that hasn't been in on the previous beta's, go ahead and pre-download the data that I'd need for Open Beta?

Here are the instructions to download and install the last patch from Gromph's server. It does NOT include today's patch (D2010.08.30.2000)

Gromph said:
You need to download http://awk.cenobyte.org/ffxiv/ffxivsetup.exe

And install it.

Then download http://awk.cenobyte.org/ffxiv/SquareEnix.rar

And extract to C:\Program Files?? to your FFXIV installation folder.

Then run the updater.

gillty

Banned
Jinko said:
10/09/2010 here, I am guessing that part of the maintenance tomorrow is to extend our beta times, at least I hope :S

FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test Mar. 26, 2010 ---
Basic Account Mar. 26, 2010 Sep. 22, 2010
Characters Mar. 26, 2010 Sep. 22, 2010
Characters Jul. 6, 2010 Sep. 4, 2010
Characters Jul. 6, 2010 Sep. 4, 2010

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Khrno said:
Here are the instructions to download and install the last patch from Gromph's server. It does NOT include today's patch (D2010.08.30.2000)

Thanks, I'll look at this when I get home.

1st file, not too bad
2nd filewhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooa

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Londa said:
I wonder if Gromph knows about the new patch? I'm not worried, I'm patently waiting for the new patch.

Just saw it around 5 min ago, uploading to the site in a few minutes
And tomorrow i will upload the SquareEnix.rar with the new update.

Jinko

Gulkeeva said:
seems on the maps of the 3 starter areas, they are not connected... i could be mistaken however. (the forest.. is one big.. massive maze, they weren't kidding about that wtf) easily get lost there without a giant map

Ekkk, thats put me off Gridania somewhat.

I'm guna roll at Gridania this test, i may not like it there. (not sure how i will get a linkshell invite :p)

Edit: After seeing the map it doesn't look that bad, was expecting Yohatar v2

Munba

Gridania is too much labirynthic for my tastes. And i don't imagine how to exp in those tunnels with all the people around..

edit: and i think i'll love Coerthas, with all those lakes.

Salaadin

Holy shit Gridania. What were they thinking?
Im still picking it but damn!

edit: The torrent just finished and I still get an error when updating. Does anyone have any idea whats going on? No one else is having issues?

LowParry

Salaadin said:
Holy shit Gridania. What were they thinking?
Im still picking it but damn!

edit: The torrent just finished and I still get an error when updating. Does anyone have any idea whats going on? No one else is having issues?

I'm updated and ready to go. Just not sure how I'm going to play since I'm using someone elses account. Unless I get some lucky chance of getting my own code. Who knows.

Am I the only one who likes the design? It's unique to start out in a noob zone that isn't just "here's a big field with some mobs in it. get to it."

That said I'm still 99% set on Ul'dah. It's just too pretty.

Also loving the Ishgard design. Can't wait to see what it's like in-game.

Salaadin

CcrooK said:
I'm updated and ready to go. Just not sure how I'm going to play since I'm using someone elses account. Unless I get some lucky chance of getting my own code. Who knows.

I got it to go through by turning off anti virus. I didnt notice but whenever I ran the updater, MSE would yell at me and say that there was a virus. Once I allowed it, I was good.

My open beta client update got to 99.9% and my download rate went to 0. :lol I was worried it wouldn't finish, but after about 10 minutes it started downloading again. I'm all set to go for tomorrow. Can't wait!

HappyBivouac said:
That said I'm still 99% set on Ul'dah. It's just too pretty.
I agree! Ever since I first saw Ul'dah in pics and videos, I knew I had to make that my starting city.

vivin

Salaadin said:
I got it to go through by turning off anti virus. I didnt notice but whenever I ran the updater, MSE would yell at me and say that there was a virus. Once I allowed it, I was good.

Yep, I had the exact same problem. Freaked me out getting the error the first time, thought I would have to spend another 8-9hours redownloading again >_<;

Salaadin

vivin said:
Yep, I had the exact same problem. Freaked me out getting the error the first time, thought I would have to spend another 8-9hours redownloading again >_<;

I actually started googling the file that MSE said was infected and couldnt find anything on it. I was briefly worried that I actually got a virus somehow :lol

I usually ignore the "turn off your av" warnings and am fine.

Jinko

More from Galk, take this with a pinch of salt.

apparently marauder can now get 1 handed axe and dual wield? (or maybe just axe + shield and not 2 axe's)

also gladiator now have 1 handed swords available and not just daggers

Teknoman

Alex said:
Dangerous labyrinths are some of the best parts of FF online area design. I very much like those maps.

Its awesome if you actually have a chance against the monsters inside/ can get decent exp and gil while looking around.

EDIT: Umm...Gladiators always had 1 hand swords (gladius, spatha) and daggers (bronze dagger from phase 2)?

Marauder dual wielding would be new though.

Londa

Banned
Not shocked about Marauder dual wielding because they basically had the same thing in FFXI with War. Marauder reminds me of War a lot so its a given to me for them to allow them to dual smaller axes.

also gladiator now have 1 handed swords available and not just daggers

Seen tons of gladiators with one handed swords...

Teknoman

Something that always gets me is...when you have the option to use different weapons (Dual wield axe or 2 hand axe) how do you know which one to stick with?

Londa

Banned
Teknoman said:
Something that always gets me is...when you have the option to use different weapons (Dual wield axe or 2 hand axe) how do you know which one to stick with?

Most people download a 3rd party tool that tells them how much damage they are doing over time. So they switch between different weapons to find out which one is the best. Then they let everyone know what is the cookie cutter weapon for X-job and then you and everyone else you know is kind of stuck playing with only this weapon, even if you have access to 2-4 differen't types. lol

Jinko

BentMyWookiee said:
That looks kinda nuts and I imagine people getting lost easily. I'm curious to see what it looks like in game.

I duno unlike 11 we have a decent minimap this time, I can't see it being that hard to navigate, and im sure the pathways will be a lot bigger than they appear.

It does kind of remind me of Dangruf Wadi tho, I just hope that there isn't any one way only drops, needless to say Gridanians will be hardcore by lvl 10 having to deal with this.

Atrus

Gold Member
Good lord... those maps are nuts with the mazes. It just increases my resolve to start in Ul'Dah where you can see the city from miles away.

Gridania looks nuts. It starts off easy enough and is okay if you stick to the road, but go off the beaten path you you'll get lost in the maze of pathways.

None of the areas in FFXI were particularly difficult. Even Dangruf Wadi was easy enough to create a mental map of.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Is there any way to speed up this update? It wobbles between 4-15kb. What should take me a few minutes to download takes hours, it's unbelievable.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Gridania, wtf?

falastini

Along with the start of open beta test on Tuesday, Aug. 31, 2010 at 19:00 (PDT), threads under "Beta Test" and "Discussion" on FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test Site will become unavailable to those of you who have registered the registration code on your own to participate in FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test.

What does that mean? I can't even read beta forums anymore?

falastini

jiggle said:
downloading now but what do i do with it?

If your updating from the last beta version, just download the patch from Gromph's site, then put the file in your documents>mygames>FFXIV beta version>downloads>ffxiv-beta>d#####>patch>

...then run the update. It should detect the patch and install.

Decay24

Neo Member
I put it in Documents>My Games>Final Fantasy XIV Beta Version>downloads>ffxiv-beta>d96437e6>patch then I loaded up the program and it did it's thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom