• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munba

I found this interesting .dat with the rapture program,

items_damage.jpg

They finally added the damages to items?

Zomba13

Munba said:
I found this interesting .dat with the rapture program,

items_damage.jpg

They finally added the damages to items?
that is pretty damn awesome, assuming it applies to the actual item texture and not just the picture in the equip box. Seeing dents in armour and rips in cloth would be a great way to visually tell the player that their armour needs a repair.

hgplayer1

started up the client earlier today to start the update that was around 4 hours ago. just got home and it was sitting at 99.9% or something and its installing as I type this :D

LaneDS

My only problem with the maps (thus far, since I haven't played anything outside of Limsa obviously) is the font they use on them. I can't read half the words on those things, and it doesn't help that XI and XIV have some crazy fantasy naming schemes going on. A more legible font would have been wonderful.

Salaadin

LaneDS said:
My only problem with the maps (thus far, since I haven't played anything outside of Limsa obviously) is the font they use on them. I can't read half the words on those things, and it doesn't help that XI and XIV have some crazy fantasy naming schemes going on. A more legible font would have been wonderful.

Dont they translate a lot of those scribbly words on the map with a plain, easy to read font?

Khrno

I agree that it's awkward trying to read the names in the map, but since there are markings placed all around the map automatically, it's fine to understand. Besides having such type of Eorzean fonts help on with the immersion.

And it's not like the letters are very different from the roman alphabet. It's a Fantasy world, I think it suits it perfectly.

Zomba13

Salaadin said:
Dont they translate a lot of those scribbly words on the map with a plain, easy to read font?
Yeah in the final maps they translate a lot of the Eorzean letters. Like in phase 3 where they updated the map so a lot of it had the names in plain english text.

Kandinsky said:
ARE YOU GUYS READY TO EAT YOUR HATS?!?!?!?

3179jih.jpg

Man I will gladly eat my hat if they can prove me wrong. I want so badly to love this game the way I've loved FFXI all these years. It just doesn't look like it's gonna happen any time soon though.

PROVE ME WRONG SHIT-ENIX

I also really want to be motivated enough to buy the CE so I can secure the name I want.

Jinko

I doubt fatigue will be sorted out for OB, but I sure hope they have added at least a search function for the retainers.

I'll need to buy a hat before i can eat it :S

Londa

Banned
I think some of the reason there was UI lag is because item info was being downloaded every time you selected the items name. One of the reasons the version update is so big is because maybe they are letting people download the item info onto their computers now. But I could be wrong.

Gulk-whoever said the zones for the starting cities were already given to us, so I'm assuming they are just releasing more of the data's to testers. Again, I could be wrong.

Londa

Banned
We're going to attend PAX (September 3-5) and have an interview booked with Square Enix.

What we'd like to gather from the FFXIVCore.com community is your very own questions for SE about Final Fantasy XIV!

So please, reply to this news post with your own questions. we'll pick as many good ones we can and will present them to SE during PAX.

Note: This interview is for questions about community building and community plans for Final Fantasy XIV, as well as game details/information – but he isn’t able to address specific game development questions.

A second interview will be done for specific game development questions as well, but getting the answers for it will take some time. So if you want a chance to have your question answered at PAX, please think of this. Otherwise your question will be picked for the second interview which will be published at a later date.

Really looking forward to this interview. Also seems Core knows more than they let on..

CAW

Updating the client, have about 7 hours left (or at least for file 2010.08.27.2001). I didn't get into the closed beta but have read here that the open beta will still require a key. I haven't been able to find much info on that though. Will the keys be given away from website giveaways or will people be able to snag them when making an account or something?

edit: now downloading patches from OP, much, much faster. :D

Londa

Banned
CAW said:
Updating the client, have about 7 hours left (or at least for file 2010.08.27.2001). I didn't get into the closed beta but have read here that the open beta will still require a key. I haven't been able to find much info on that though. Will the keys be given away from website giveaways or will people be able to snag them when making an account or something?

Welcome Caw, I'm not sure but I think no one knows for sure how the open beta is going to be handled. People hinting that even closed beta folks will need keys has got me confused. So I will just wait for an update from the player site.

If there is any news, I'm sure someone will give everyone a heads up. So keep checking this thread. I'm guessing that tomorrow morning we will get a message from SE explaining Open Beta for everyone.

Salaadin

CAW said:

The only info I found on that was the eorzeapedia post saying that anyone in the closed beta will need another separate open beta code that SE will email to them. Open beta starts in less than 24 hours and no one has received any codes yet

edit: forgot the 4

Darte

Salaadin said:
The only info I found on that was the eorzeapedia post saying that anyone in the closed beta will need another separate open beta code that SE will email to them. Open beta starts in less than 2 hours and no one has received any codes yet

doesn't start till tomorrow

CAW

Londa said:
Welcome Caw, I'm not sure but I think no one knows for sure how the open beta is going to be handled. People hinting that even closed beta folks will need keys has got me confused. So I will just wait for an update from the player site.

If there is any news, I'm sure someone will give everyone a heads up. So keep checking this thread. I'm guessing that tomorrow morning we will get a message from SE explaining Open Beta for everyone.

Salaadin said:
The only info I found on that was the eorzeapedia post saying that anyone in the closed beta will need another separate open beta code that SE will email to them. Open beta starts in less than 2 hours and no one has received any codes yet

Awesome, thanks for the information. I'll stick around and will keep checking for more info. I have about 2 hours left on the 3.5GB download from the OP. I'm guessing there will be other updates/patches though.

Khrno

Salaadin said:
Open beta starts in less than 2 hours and no one has received any codes yet

The details for the FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test are described below.

Operating Procedure
Schedule:
Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 2:00 (GMT)

In 24 hours you mean.

Salaadin

Decay24 said:
probably meant under 24 hours.

I hope there's information tomorrow morning.

Im sure tomorrow we will all wake up to personal emails from Tanaka detailing the removal of fatigue and menu lag.

Khrno

Salaadin said:
Im sure tomorrow we will all wake up to personal emails from Tanaka detailing the removal of fatigue and menu lag.

That's a very pleasant dream right there, make sure not to wake up wetting your pants.

Salaadin

Pai Pai Master said:
Bah the patch file doesn't seem to be working for me. Wonder what I'm doing wrong.

From gromph or the updater?

If youre running the updater and its slow, try opening the right ports. If youre using utorrent, also try to open the right ports.

If the updater is stopping at 99% and giving an error, turn off your antivirus programs and try again.

falastini

Londa said:
I think some of the reason there was UI lag is because item info was being downloaded every time you selected the items name. One of the reasons the version update is so big is because maybe they are letting people download the item info onto their computers now. But I could be wrong.

Gulk-whoever said the zones for the starting cities were already given to us, so I'm assuming they are just releasing more of the data's to testers. Again, I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure they already gave a reason for the menu lag. I'm too lazy to find it, but I think SE said it was due to the extra processes they have running during beta, to collect data and bugs.

I'm the first one to call FFXIV on their bs excuses, but in this case it's plausible. I've seen it happen in other betas. If that is the reason, don't expect the lag to go away until release.

As annoying as it is, UI lag is down on my list of things I'm worried about.

Salaadin said:
From gromph or the updater?

If youre running the updater and its slow, try opening the right ports. If youre using utorrent, also try to open the right ports.

If the updater is stopping at 99% and giving an error, turn off your antivirus programs and try again.

Nah gromph's file. I've probably screwed up my folder order at some point so I'm just downloading the .rar file and I'll use that.

Kuraine

Neo Member
Salaadin said:

I'm running into this problem. Getting an error at 99% three times in a row now, though I haven't had any issues updating before.

Though, I've got AVG and for the life of me I can't see where to temporarily disable it.

Salaadin

Kuraine said:
I'm running into this problem. Getting an error at 99% three times in a row now, though I haven't had any issues updating before.

Though, I've got AVG and for the life of me I can't see where to temporarily disable it.

Try this:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5052104_disable-avg-antivirus.html

Once you disable that, re run the updater and hopefully it will hit 100%. Youll know its done when you get a "cant access right now due to maintenance" message. Make sure you reenable AVG when done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom