• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
WAR/BLM
tBVs5hT.png

DRK/MNK/WHM
Sjivn6g.png

The rest of those are residentsleeper

(SAM blade clipping through the hat = literally unwearable)

One thing you may want to do (im going to do this), with any class you don't know, go run the first 10 floors of PotD. That "should" (if you do it right) give you a solid foundation and feel how the class plays and what its gimmick is.
Floor 10 is a bit early, most jobs dramatically open up from level 40+

Valor

I'm glad they deleted Fracture.

<something witty about our relationship becoming unfractured in Stormblood>

Galen, I don't know how you or your brother know what you know, but let me say what he told our bard made him ROCK hard about the changes.

Crisis of faith averted.
Oh. I know literally every skill bard has in Stormblood. People are gonna dig it. I'm really leaning towards going back to playing it. The reddit thread about Bard in SB is pretty far off.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Not sure if I want to level DRK or BRD after MNK.

scy

Oh. I know literally every skill bard has in Stormblood. People are gonna dig it. I'm really leaning towards going back to playing it. The reddit thread about Bard in SB is pretty far off.

Why couldn't you find out where they're keeping the turret buddies. Think of their sacrifices.

All these teases about actual information. A shame they couldn't give those in the actual letter :| Just a sheet with all the tooltips and a giant WIP please.

Haly

I want Elixer Field to look like this:
latest

It feels silly hadouking the floor.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Why couldn't you find out where they're keeping the turret buddies. Think of their sacrifices.

All these teases about actual information. A shame they couldn't give those in the actual letter :| Just a sheet with all the tooltips and a giant WIP please.

Think of all the leeche... I mean, gaming media press you're leaving without work

Omni

I'm really worried that DRK is gonna be pushed out of the meta in favour of PLD. Which would suck because DRK is so cool.

Haly

DRK got some 2B Greatsword looking moves in SB!

Just give me a Nier cross promotional event with 2B/9S/A2 outfits faaaaaam

I'm reading this RDM analysis and it's in line with what I can see from the video. It looks really fun, it's an entire playstyle that revolves around chaining procs.

Is there a table/site where someone's worked out roughly how much XP you get per tier/level on POTD?

I had a class at level 20 (just turned 20) and 51-60 got me to 1300xp off 22, which would be about 100k or so...but how much does that scale with level etc?

Haly

Is there a table/site where someone's worked out roughly how much XP you get per tier/level on POTD?

I had a class at level 20 (just turned 20) and 51-60 got me to 1300xp off 22, which would be about 100k or so...but how much does that scale with level etc?

I don't have a table but I can give you my estimates. Assuming only 51-60:

1-10: 1 run per 2 levels
11-30: 1 run per 1 level
31-40: 1-2 runs per level
41-50: 2-3 runs per level
51-60: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12qRQMRmiYeaoamTnV4sbdFt82_AByYeQ62MMg9PHVeM/edit#gid=0

Omni

IMBored

Don't do this to me Galen, I'm already too excited about bowmage's welcome demise.

Qvoth

did you participate in the media tour or something?

IvorB

Course then you'd end up in a situation where devs are like "No that isn't shitty filler that part was one of the funniest things in the game!" and nobody agreeing on what exactly counts as filler or people being mad one of the things taken out as filler was something fun etc etc.

Yeah that would need them to actually acknowledge the sh*tty filler exists.

With the BLM one, what I noticed the most is that it removes the AF/UI timer from the self-buff bar, but appears to have no way to represent available procs and time left on them. It essentially visually splits the useful information on a job. Hard to know how significant that'll be long-run.

That would be really bad it true 'cause that info is important.

Moaradin

Wish they showed off Monk more. The vibe I got is all the new skills are for support, which is great, but I kinda hope they have at least one new flashy attack lol

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

Stormblood was a mistake.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Ah so now that we are no longer a Bowmage and because of the balance update people want to jump back on the Bard bandwagon? Pshhh us real Bards stuck with the Bard through the thick and thin regardless of Wanderer's Minuet.

lol at the title change.

Is there anywhere I can see a breakdown of all the BLM changes?
What we know so far:

Enoch can only be used in Astral/Umbral, is automatically refreshed as long as you keep Astral or Umbral up, 30s CD now
Casting B4 gives you Umbral Hearts which can be used to reduce the cost of Fire spells during Astral
T1 and 3 merged together, T2 is now an AoE, T4 added
New spell called Foul, big Flare-like spell that does massive damage, can be used every 30s you keep Enoch up, costs little to no mana
New skill called Triple Cast, next 3 spells have no cast time
New skill that teleports you to the center of your Ley Lines, 3s cd

Aeana

My item level is way too low to do the last several story trials/dungeons. It kind of feels like it would be silly to spend time grinding out a bunch of gear that will be obsolete in less than a month.

Hmm, hard time deciding what job to play now that I'm resubbed and starting fresh. I have MRD leveled to 25, PUG leveled to 21, and I'm about to get LNC to 15 as a prereq for unlocking MNK.

I want to play WAR, MNK, or BRD.

Here's how I'm weighing right now:

WAR:
- I very frequently play tanks in MMORPGs so its the role I'm most familiar with fulfilling, though I typically am a sword+board kinda class -- played PLD in FFXI and during ARR's opening months
- Short queue times for dungeons, probably high demand for tanks going forward into Stormblood since the two new jobs will be DPS
- Kinda want to break from tanking role... Still enjoy it, but wanting to do something new with this brand new subscrip

MNK:
- Long queue times, dps job population likely to only rise after Stormblood
- I feel I have to play with a controller to avoid cramping my hand from moving around for positioning all the time, feels slightly awkward and clumsy compared to my long running KB+M play
- I have literally never played a dps class in any MMO to endgame, only ever played tank or heal at max level
- Having said the above, I do enjoy MNK's style -- aesthetics, position based attacking, combo-based and situational buffs/debuffs, etc... easily the most "attractive" dps in the game right now IMO

BRD:
- Same concern over long queue times, never played dps at endgame before, but much easier to handle with KB+M play
- Strong attraction to maintaining buffs/debuffs that extend to entire party, not just self or enemy, during combat
- Generally enjoy the aesthetics a lot, love playing bow-based roles in other genres of games
- Not *quite* as attractive as MNK aesthetically or in its playstyle, BUT that concern is more than off-set by being of greater use to the wider party I'm grouped with

Any thoughts, fellow FFXIV-GAF?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
My item level is way too low to do the last several story trials/dungeons. It kind of feels like it would be silly to spend time grinding out a bunch of gear that will be obsolete in less than a month.

Get somebody to craft you a 250 set. They're not that expensive to make at all.

dramatis

Hmm, hard time deciding what job to play now that I'm resubbed and starting fresh. I have MRD leveled to 25, PUG leveled to 21, and I'm about to get LNC to 15 as a prereq for unlocking MNK.

Do WAR or MNK, BRD isn't all that helpful to others right now

kromeo

Not sure if they're changing it this time but when HW launched you needed to have finished the story to access any of it

IMBored

Do WAR or MNK, BRD isn't all that helpful to others right now

Well, that stops me giving Lupin seedlings from now on.

If you are at lv200 right now, you can farm alex midas a bit for230 gear and lore. Highest content level id 235 right now.

Aeana

Get somebody to craft you a 250 set. They're not that expensive to make at all.

I asked someone last night and they told me I was looking at about 1 million per piece or something like that.

Not sure if they're changing it this time but when HW launched you needed to have finished the story to access any of it

Yes, I know. I suppose the alternative for me would be to get one of the potions they're adding to catch up to the story.

I'll figure something out. I'm just trying to avoid doing too much of my Least Favorite Thing in this game (tome grinding) for such limited gains.

IvorB

What we know so far:

Enoch can only be used in Astral/Umbral, is automatically refreshed as long as you keep Astral or Umbral up, 30s CD now
Casting B4 gives you Umbral Hearts which can be used to reduce the cost of Fire spells during Astral
T1 and 3 merged together, T2 is now an AoE, T4 added
New spell called Foul, big Flare-like spell that does massive damage, can be used every 30s you keep Enoch up, costs little to no mana
New skill called Triple Cast, next 3 spells have no cast time
New skill that teleports you to the center of your Ley Lines, 3s cd

Do we know if the Thunder AOE is a DOT or one-time damage? Seems like they wouldn’t allow it to be a DOT without changing Thundercloud. Also, I wish they could have repurposed the current teleport for the Ley Lines thing rather than use a whole new skill for it.

Lanrutcon

Are they actual Archers again or still pseudo caster support DOT watchers? I leveled a MCH to 60 just to play a proper ranged DPS.

Haly

GARO gets you into the last few dungeons if you can stomach PVP.
Proto Ultima weekly quest in Dun Scaith for 270 accessories.
POTD for a 265 weapon.
Can just spam Dun Scaith as well since most people outgear it and competition for loot is low.

Hell GAf , i'm kinda confused atm.

I've played FF14 ARR up untill 2.4 and i went back a few days for 2.5. i haven't played heavensward.

Everything about stormblood intrest me , so i'm thinking of going back . i played SMN/SCH and i had a lot of fun.

Should i get heavensward to rush through the story ? Or can i just get stormblood and ignore heavensward ?

IMBored

Hell GAf , i'm kinda confused atm.

I've played FF14 ARR up untill 2.4 and i went back a few days for 2.5. i haven't played heavensward.

Everything about stormblood intrest me , so i'm thinking of going back . i played SMN/SCH and i had a lot of fun.

Should i get heavensward to rush through the story ? Or can i just get stormblood and ignore heavensward ?

You have to play the Heavensward story to get to the stormblood story and areas. At most you could buy a quest potion to clear the HV story, but you'd still have to lv up to 60 to start stormblood.

I finished up to the end of the base Heavensward content. Can I use whatever this Jump potion is to skip certain parts of the campaign up until Stormblood? I don't necessarily want to skip all of it though.

How do these potions even work?

I am already level 60.

Moaradin

I finished up to the end of the base Heavensward content. Can I use whatever this Jump potion is to skip certain parts of the campaign up until Stormblood? I don't necessarily want to skip all of it though.

I am already level 60.

The Heavensward potion would skip all of it up until patch 3.56. You might as well finish the story since you don't have that much left.

Squishy3

I am already level 60.
You don't have much else to complete, then. Just need to gear up to item level 230 to be able to finish the last dungeon. Buying a skip potion would be a waste.

IvorB

Here's how I'm weighing right now:

WAR:
- I very frequently play tanks in MMORPGs so its the role I'm most familiar with fulfilling, though I typically am a sword+board kinda class -- played PLD in FFXI and during ARR's opening months
- Short queue times for dungeons, probably high demand for tanks going forward into Stormblood since the two new jobs will be DPS
- Kinda want to break from tanking role... Still enjoy it, but wanting to do something new with this brand new subscrip

MNK:
- Long queue times, dps job population likely to only rise after Stormblood
- I feel I have to play with a controller to avoid cramping my hand from moving around for positioning all the time, feels slightly awkward and clumsy compared to my long running KB+M play
- I have literally never played a dps class in any MMO to endgame, only ever played tank or heal at max level
- Having said the above, I do enjoy MNK's style -- aesthetics, position based attacking, combo-based and situational buffs/debuffs, etc... easily the most "attractive" dps in the game right now IMO

BRD:
- Same concern over long queue times, never played dps at endgame before, but much easier to handle with KB+M play
- Strong attraction to maintaining buffs/debuffs that extend to entire party, not just self or enemy, during combat
- Generally enjoy the aesthetics a lot, love playing bow-based roles in other genres of games
- Not *quite* as attractive as MNK aesthetically or in its playstyle, BUT that concern is more than off-set by being of greater use to the wider party I'm grouped with

Any thoughts, fellow FFXIV-GAF?

I would go WAR if it's all the same to you. DPS queues are going to hurt. You can always circle back on the others when things (hopefully) die down.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I asked someone last night and they told me I was looking at about 1 million per piece or something like that.
I'll make you a set later today, it doesn't cost that much to make and I already got most of the mats for it.

You'll need accessories though to reach 230 to finish Alex and the 24 man raid. You can get 1 235 accessory from PvP by winning 2 matches.

The Heavensward potion would skip all of it up until patch 3.56. You might as well finish the story since you don't have that much left.

You don't have much else to complete, then. Just need to gear up to item level 230 to be able to finish the last dungeon. Buying a skip potion would be a waste.

Thanks. I wasn't too sure how much content was between base Heavensward and everything patched in up till Stormblood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom