• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubius01

Starting to realize the Tales of Adventure Potions might be aimed at me. Enjoying WHM/Thaumaturge etc atm, just trying out things besides Dragoon while I wait for SB (I would like to try more Alexander to maybe get higher iLvl gear but my sole FFXIV playing friend is burnt out on it) but I don't have the willpower to grind POTD for dozens of runs, or farm dungeons etc.

But then I dislike the Boost in WoW because I feel it stops someone from "knowing" their class....sigh

First, the game does a piss-poor job explaning how to play a given class. So there are a bunch of people who have no clue what they're doing (myself included).

One thing you may want to do (im going to do this), with any class you don't know, go run the first 10 floors of PotD. That "should" (if you do it right) give you a solid foundation and feel how the class plays and what its gimmick is.

iammeiam

They're completely revamping some jobs in SB--like, everything I've seen indicates the actual gameplay of MCH and BRD are drastically different. Not just cast times, but a lot of the buff alignment and the core gameplay loops have been explored for mystery new stuff. It's hard to hold up boost potions as people not 'learning' the job at the start of an expansion where they're basically chucking out everything we knew before.

First, the game does a piss-poor job explaning how to play a given class. So there are a bunch of people who have no clue what they're doing (myself included).

It is at this point that I realize it's insane they're not using the job reworks to introduce hall of the Intermediate/Advanced. With the death of cross-class, they can prewrite lessons knowing exactly what tools people will have at their disposal. It'd be incredibly helpful Day 1 to be able to run reworked jobs through a tutorial to see what they play like/how their core gimmicks work before committing to leveling one.

One thing you may want to do (im going to do this), with any class you don't know, go run the first 10 floors of PotD. That "should" (if you do it right) give you a solid foundation and feel how the class plays and what its gimmick is.

Yeah, I like WHM to play...i mean the healing seems pretty simple. BLM, I like too. I know it's changing a fair bit with Enochian being redone a tad but -shrug-. Just the levelling...

AFAIK, the fastest most mind numbing way to level in the game right now is to spam floor 51-60 in Potd.

Might try this. I should have enough Lore etc to get somewhat geared at top.

Lack of boost potions doesn't make people have to know their classes

Source: Duty finder and Party Finder

Yeah, I just mean in WoW...my friend is sometimes "gonna buy a boost" etc, but I would prefer to level because in theory at least I would somewhat know the class better. It's true though, more often than not I've found people not knowing their roles in dungeons etc. Haven't done enough Raids to comment. But my Dragoon is like iLvl 245 or so which I think is enough for all Alexander floors?

Jolkien

Alright I'll have to test the two suggestion, either go floor 1-30 and try floor 51-60 on repeat and check how much xp I'll get in an hour doing each.

You could create the best tutorials ever and there will still be people who ignore them completely because they don't care.

Not saying they shouldn't add them, but the sorts of eccentric types you find in DF will never disappear.

Thorgal

something still confuses me about the accuracy change .

if i hit an enemy in the front the hit chance is 100% so it is guaranteed to hit .

but if strike from the side or back that value will be higher like 110% - 120%

why would this be needed higher if i am guaranteed to hit regardless ?

or do they mean like if i am hit with a blind debuff i will still have a higher chance to hit an enemy from the side or back then i would have if i was standing in front ?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Starting to realize the Tales of Adventure Potions might be aimed at me. Enjoying WHM/Thaumaturge etc atm, just trying out things besides Dragoon while I wait for SB (I would like to try more Alexander to maybe get higher iLvl gear but my sole FFXIV playing friend is burnt out on it) but I don't have the willpower to grind POTD for dozens of runs, or farm dungeons etc.

But then I dislike the Boost in WoW because I feel it stops someone from "knowing" their class....sigh

You literally can't proceed without a tutorial in WoW and even after that you get ten levels. If people wanna learn their class they will and if they don't 200 hours won't help them. It helps of course that most classes in WoW have simpler to process mechanics instead of some esoteric bullshit Heavensward has on certain jobs.

Guess Who

Banned
something still confuses me about the accuracy change .

if i hit an enemy in the front the hit chance is 100% so it is guaranteed to hit .

but if strike from the side or back that value will be higher like 110% - 120%

why would this be needed higher if i am guaranteed to hit regardless ?

or do they mean like if i am hit with a blind debuff i will still have a higher chance to hit an enemy from the side or back then i would have if i was standing in front ?

You got it at the last part. Say you got hit with a debuff that lowers your accuracy 20%. Front would then be 80% chance to hit, but flank might be 90% and back might still be 100%.

iammeiam

You could create the best tutorials ever and there will still be people who ignore them completely because they don't care.

Not saying they shouldn't add them, but the sorts of eccentric types you find in DF will never disappear.

They built a game terrified of letting players fail and make them feel bad. Job quests are usually nonsense in terms of skill teaching (run around Ishgard Hot Shotting people!), and the Hall of the Novice yells at DPS for multidotting. That some people would ignore lessons is a thing, but the game failing its playerbase on a basic level by not even trying to communicate how things work remains a pretty big black mark on the game.

It does, however, let them tune things poorly and then blame the players for it for a while. They're going to rework a bunch of jobs, not really explain to anyone how they envision the jobs working, and then when people say things feel undertuned just shrug and say the jobs are fine, we're just doing it wrong.

Bad players in DF usually don't make me mad at the players so much as they remind me how badly the game fails players. Jumping potions can't possibly introduce a fraction of the uninformed/poor players that the game as designed creates.

CLBridges

The changes and battle system updates look nice. Gonna stick with my Bard and dabble with the new jobs but I think I'm done with trying to Max out all battle jobs. I'm thinking just Bard and Astro for this expansion. My Astro is level 50_something but I saved leveling it just for Stormblood. Oh, and congrats to the Paladins out there and sorry bout that to the White Mages lol.

kagamin

I find it hilarious honestly, since I figured out how to play MNK properly on my own when I was learning how to do Zurvan EX and trying to optimize my damage.

Guess Who

Banned
They built a game terrified of letting players fail and make them feel bad. Job quests are usually nonsense in terms of skill teaching (run around Ishgard Hot Shotting people!), and the Hall of the Novice yells at DPS for multidotting. That some people would ignore lessons is a thing, but the game failing its playerbase on a basic level by not even trying to communicate how things work remains a pretty big black mark on the game.

It does, however, let them tune things poorly and then blame the players for it for a while. They're going to rework a bunch of jobs, not really explain to anyone how they envision the jobs working, and then when people say things feel undertuned just shrug and say the jobs are fine, we're just doing it wrong.

Bad players in DF usually don't make me mad at the players so much as they remind me how badly the game fails players. Jumping potions can't possibly introduce a fraction of the uninformed/poor players that the game as designed creates.

100% agree tbh. Pretty much all the basic rotations for every job that the hardcore playerbase has come to accept were created through theorycrafting and experimentation - very little of it is directly spelled out by the game. A lot of it can be figured out through simply thinking things through, but, well, that's too much to expect of casual players. I've seen new players make pretty fundamental errors that the game does a poor job ever correcting - "I got this skill at a higher level than this other one, so I should use this one more, right?", or "this skill does less potency than this other one, why would I ever use that one?" Hell, there are players who don't even get that you should always be hitting something every GCD!

They need per-job tutorials, pure and simple. They don't have to teach you, like, optimized openers or anything, but just teaching players the basic rotation of their job would do wonders. As a bard example - "use straight shot to keep its buff up, or when it procs. Keep your DoTs up at all times. Try to squeeze in Bloodletter between GCDs every time it's up. Use heavy shot when you've got nothing else that needs refreshing." Just telling every bard player these basic things would raise the average skill level of casual bards significantly.

They need per-job tutorials, pure and simple. They don't have to teach you, like, optimized openers or anything, but just teaching players the basic rotation of their job would do wonders. As a bard example - "use straight shot to keep its buff up, or when it procs. Keep your DoTs up at all times. Try to squeeze in Bloodletter between GCDs every time it's up. Use heavy shot when you've got nothing else that needs refreshing." Just telling every bard player these basic things would raise the average skill level of casual bards significantly.
In SB that will be more true than ever when every job gets their special gameplay / meter management system.

You can add cute UI elements all day but you still need to explain how they fucking work, damn it.

Well, but then we can blame players, until then we should blame the game, how many years it took to have a decent tutorial to just teach the basics of each role?

In 2.0 people bitched and moaned about Aurum Vale (and maybe Qarn), it was an annoying dungeon, but the problem is that the game until that point allowed players to progress numblingly without any basics. The problem wasn't the people, it was the game.

Why throw hundreds of quests to the player with not actually requiring them to learn their roles? And I don't mean difficulty, I mean teaching the players, which is different.

They said people didn't understand WAR 2.0, but maybe if they put healers on a mock dungeon with NPC tanks and teach them the difference between PLD and WAR, they would had understood! (I mean WAR sucked balls, it just an example of how badly was handled back on release)

The result? 2.0 endgame content was a nightmare of 90% people not knowing what the fuck were they doing and suffering like hell on hard primals. (me included)

That's not on people, that's on YoshiP team, it was like a leftover quirk from XI when it was cool to not teach the player about anything or something...

Nephtis

So I was getting growingly impatient with the main quest line in the game...

...and I happened to come across the Hildibrand quest line. Holy shit. This guy is awesome!! He reminds me of Kondo from Gintama. So many legit laugh out loud moments.

And Gilgamesh!!!! He has a green chicken named Enkidu!!! Oh my god this just renewed my love for the game. Hot damn hahahahaha

Edit: just did the Gilgamesh fight. That damn Enkidu at the end. OMG. LOL

iammeiam

I find it hilarious honestly, since I figured out how to play MNK properly on my own when I was learning how to do Zurvan EX and trying to optimize my damage.

This sort of illustrates my point, though. Monk is comparatively straightforward in a lot of ways, but the game does such a bad job of player education that you figured out how to play properly only when doing EX content at level cap. That shouldn't happen--by cap the game should be getting people familiar enough that their general playstyle is good and it's things like the minutia of openers and synergy that matters.

It's a large part of why I don't see boost potions having any real impact on the people you run into in DF. Good vs bad is always going to boil down to whether or not the player is motivated to do extra credit.

studyguy

Shield/Sword oath are now lvl 30/35.
Thank fuck, GLD low level was torture for newbies.
PSOv4bt.png

bMAgfNE.png

kagamin

This sort of illustrates my point, though. Monk is comparatively straightforward in a lot of ways, but the game does such a bad job of player education that you figured out how to play properly only when doing EX content at level cap. That shouldn't happen--by cap the game should be getting people familiar enough that their general playstyle is good and it's things like the minutia of openers and synergy that matters.

I definitely agree here, I was kinda so wrapped up in the story I never really tried to delve into the minutia of what my job was supposed to be doing and managing until it really started hurting not knowing what I needed to be doing.

Well, but then we can blame players, until then we should blame the game, how many years it took to have a decent tutorial to just teach the basics of each role?

In 2.0 people bitched and moaned about Aurum Vale (and maybe Qarn), it was an annoying dungeon, but the problem is that the game until that point allowed players to progress numblingly without any basics. The problem wasn't the people, it was the game.

Why throw hundreds of quests to the player with not actually requiring them to learn their roles? And I don't mean difficulty, I mean teaching the players, which is different.

They said people didn't understand WAR 2.0, but maybe if they put healers on a mock dungeon with NPC tanks and teach them the difference between PLD and WAR, they would had understood! (I mean WAR sucked balls, it just an example of how badly was handled back on release)

The result? 2.0 endgame content was a nightmare of 90% people not knowing what the fuck were they doing and suffering like hell on hard primals. (me included)

That's not on people, that's on YoshiP team, it was like a leftover quirk from XI when it was cool to not teach the player about anything or something...

The only players you can blame are the ones who don't care regardless of what they're presented with which is what my comment was directed towards.

I've made posts in the past about how most of the game is really easy to the point that you don't need to learn how to play effectively in order to progress.

Solo duties have NPCs that heal you most of the time so you don't die and do not require you to know how to play your job well. Everything about rotations requires visiting third party sources because the game doesn't tell you how to put it all together. In group content you can get carried on other people's backs.

I've also said in the past that this is the time for them to put in proper tutorials since if rotations are required to deal good damage in this game then it's something the game should teach you how to do. All the changes look interesting but in the end I don't think they are going to put in proper tutorials and people will need to look online to find out how to play their job at a decent level.

Sylas

The only players you can blame are the ones who don't care regardless of what they're presented with which is what my comment was directed towards.

I've made posts in the past about how most of the game is really easy to the point that you don't need to learn how to play effectively in order to progress.

Solo duties have NPCs that heal you most of the time so you don't die and do not require you to know how to play your job well. Everything about rotations requires visiting third party sources because the game doesn't tell you how to put it all together. In group content you can get carried on other people's backs.

I've also said in the past that this is the time for them to put in proper tutorials since if rotations are required to deal good damage in this game then it's something the game should teach you how to do. All the changes look interesting but in the end I don't think they are going to put in proper tutorials and people will need to look online to find out how to play their job at a decent level.

I dunno, I'm of the opinion that all you really have to do is read to figure out how most of your abilities work. I've never once had to read up on anything to see how a rotation works (except when I'm on a min/max binge) because it's all fairly intuitive? You follow your combo in the vast majority of cases and that seems to be where the problem lies for a lot of people. They just don't wanna follow their damn combos. Plenty of my friends don't read up on their shit and manage just fine because they sit down and read their abilities. I can't think of a single instance where you need to look up how a class rotation works in order to clear through dungeons.

Raid-style content has always been dominated by theorycrafters and new rotations, etc. You really can't compare the more casual content to the raid content because the expectation is that you're going to collaborate with the community for raid content.

iammeiam

I dunno, I'm of the opinion that all you really have to do is read to figure out how most of your abilities work. I've never once had to read up on anything to see how a rotation works (except when I'm on a min/max binge) because it's all fairly intuitive? You follow your combo in the vast majority of cases and that seems to be where the problem lies for a lot of people. They just don't wanna follow their damn combos. Plenty of my friends don't read up on their shit and manage just fine because they sit down and read their abilities.

Part of the problem, though, is 80% of poorly performing players feel like they manage "just fine." The game's nil difficulty most of the time means that poor play isn't going to hold you back outside of raiding (and, let's be real, tuning raids so that all 8 members had to be on the ball destroyed the raid community, which celebrated when it returned to only requiring some of the party know what's up.) Everything dies and they feel like they're pushing the buttons that make the most sense, so they're fine. The entire game is structured so that everyone is encouraged to feel like they're doing alright, and that any play above their individual personal level is the realm of crazy tyhard minmaxers.

XIV is, in a lot of ways, MMO For Beginners. It appeals hugely to people with no prior experience--which is a good thing!!--but is so busy positively reinforcing subpar performance that it is not realistic to expect people (especially those in jobs that aren't primarily combo driven) to realize how short they're falling.

It's a game that teaches nothing and gives everyone a gold star for participation. It is incredibly disappointing that they're toppling the combat system in the name of closing the skill gap, but taking no action to actually teach players.

I dunno, I'm of the opinion that all you really have to do is read to figure out how most of your abilities work. I've never once had to read up on anything to see how a rotation works (except when I'm on a min/max binge) because it's all fairly intuitive? You follow your combo in the vast majority of cases and that seems to be where the problem lies for a lot of people. They just don't wanna follow their damn combos. Plenty of my friends don't read up on their shit and manage just fine because they sit down and read their abilities. I can't think of a single instance where you need to look up how a class rotation works in order to clear through dungeons.

Raid-style content has always been dominated by theorycrafters and new rotations, etc. You really can't compare the more casual content to the raid content because the expectation is that you're going to collaborate with the community for raid content.

This actually reminds me a bit about the issue within fighting games where people don't want to get into them because of the execution required to make use of advanced techniques and combos and a lack of tutorials.

Stuff like Guilty Gear Xrd has pretty extensive tutorials teaching the basics all the way to advanced techniques along with demonstrations and trials. Ultimately there are people who want to learn and there are people who do not.

I think the best thing developers can do is add content within the game that explains the fine details and the players can do what they will with it.

Among the people who want to learn, there are varying levels of skill and capability to intuitively understand things before consulting a help source. Added tutorial content should help cover those who need more help from an additional source but in the end anyone can consult it as long as it's there.

When I say advanced techniques I'm talking about things like refreshing DoTs at the last moment, slidecasting, fitting two oGCDs between a GCD among other things.

Guilty Gear Xrd didn't suffer at all for having extensive tutorials and demonstrations so I don't think this game will suffer for it either.

Will they ever do this though? Probably not.

I'm actually expecting them to not explain what your stats do in SB beyond the same vague description so you won't know what having 700 Crit actually means for example.

I never learned about my class from outside sources. I've raided a fair bit and all that I've learned about my classes came from actually reading what the skills did, other players telling me what to look out for and the game simply punishing me.

Like I learned to not spam AoE heals because doing it got aggro on me and got my ass killed and thus the rest of the party. Using Cure instead of Cure 2 because another healer saw me doing it and gave me some pointers.

I think it would be nice for them to have something to teach people better, but it doesn't upset me that it doesn't because even if you had that in doesn't automatically mean you would cut down on the amount of people playing inefficiently.

Quite frankly except when I'm playing healer, I'd tend to be quite aware that when I go SMN and sometimes when I'm tank I'm playing pretty inefficiently half the time but I also don't care because it never bites me in the ass.

Yam's

As long as SE will refuse to build a parser in game, underperforming players won't care. If they were shown that they are actually doing badly, it would help some of them seeking help whether online or in game.

Not all those players are casual who don't care, there's a lot of them who simply have no idea that they're most often than not carried by other players. I've met some of these players through my different guilds and some of them were shocked when I told them their ranking in dps (I didn't directly told them the numbers, they knew I was parsing and I waited for them to ask me where they were standing). All of those who asked ended up practicing on dummies and asking for advises. Obviously I also met others in these same guilds who didn't care, never asked, and are still happily playing with no clue.

I know Yoshi doesn't want people to be confronted with their performance, but as long as this will be his stance, no gameplay change will help fix this. WoW changing its classes to 3-4 buttons rotation surely didn't help fixing this issue either.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I never learned about my class from outside sources. I've raided a fair bit and all that I've learned about my classes came from actually reading what the skills did, other players telling me what to look out for and the game simply punishing me.

Like I learned to not spam AoE heals because doing it got aggro on me and got my ass killed and thus the rest of the party. Using Cure instead of Cure 2 because another healer saw me doing it and gave me some pointers.

I think it would be nice for them to have something to teach people better, but it doesn't upset me that it doesn't because even if you had that in doesn't automatically mean you would cut down on the amount of people playing inefficiently.

Quite frankly except when I'm playing healer, I'd tend to be quite aware that when I go SMN and sometimes when I'm tank I'm playing pretty inefficiently half the time but I also don't care because it never bites me in the ass.
Almost everything you just described is learning from outside sources. (Asking other players)

And it probably should upset you more than it does because there is literally no harm in having the game offer better resources.

I honestly feel like a fair amount of the players in here are incredibly quick to give up on everyone around them and assume the worst about people around them who are underperforming. Bad players absolutely exist and some of the horror stories in here are probably legit. At the same time I think being okay with the game not offering more and better resources to teach players because it's not guaranteed to make people better players is too cynical/pessimistic.

Thorgal

for funsies i went and have a look at MB prices on Odin for accuracy materia .

they are now going for 100 k a pop .

That accuracy change has opened up the floodgates :p

Omnicent

for funsies i went and have a look at MB prices on Odin for accuracy materia .

they are now going for 100 k a pop .

That accuracy change has opened up the floodgates :p

FUCK! I sold most my Grade V Accuracy a few weeks ago for peanuts.
I figured they would remove accuracy, but didn't think they would replace it with mini-crit.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So I was getting growingly impatient with the main quest line in the game...

...and I happened to come across the Hildibrand quest line. Holy shit. This guy is awesome!! He reminds me of Kondo from Gintama. So many legit laugh out loud moments.

And Gilgamesh!!!! He has a green chicken named Enkidu!!! Oh my god this just renewed my love for the game. Hot damn hahahahaha

Edit: just did the Gilgamesh fight. That damn Enkidu at the end. OMG. LOL

So I was catching up on some of the thousands of hard mode dungeon quests and I accidently came across the Hildibrand quests.

Ho-leee-shiet. This is quite literally the best part of this game so far.

I'm glad that other new/returning players are enjoying the Hildinrand Quest line.

I remember reading in an interview that Yoshi-P was surprised that people actually liked the Hildibrand quests (IIRC these sort of comedy shows are more famous in Japan) and in another interview he stated that despite how silly the quest line might seem what we are seeing has actually been toned down since the team has tought about more weirder scenarios before that didn't make it to the game such as Hildibrand fighting Bahamut one on one.

I'd like to see them add a personal training room that has target dummies, a cooldown refresh option and a parse option that gives you a numerical score based on how well you did during a period of time.

Also in a better location than talking to an NPC outside of Idyllshire.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Isn't that kinda redundant with Stone Sky Sea existing? If it only gonna give you a score rather than the actual damage number.

BLCKATK

I hope they consider adding a new level of the Novice Hall. Making Stone, Sky, Sea better too can't hurt.

I don't think we'd ever see an extensive tutorial similar to a fighting game though, at least not in the game. Maybe in 5.0 lol

Isn't that kinda redundant with Stone Sky Sea existing? If it only gonna give you a score rather than the actual damage number.

SSS doesn't give you a damage over time number. You just have to kill within the time limit. It also doesn't have a cooldown refresh option IIRC. You also have to teleport to Idyllshire, leave then talk to an NPC just to get in instead of it just being a location you could teleport to.

This would be a location you could teleport to for easy access.

I also thought it might be interesting if they offered daily tomestones or something for achieving a certain score on a 3 minute test or something. Gear would be equalized for this particular test since the objective is just to demonstrate your skill with a job to a particular degree such that you can reach the required score for the reward.

It would get people into the habit of practicing their rotation, or learning how to improve it if their current one is inadequate.

I already zone out and hit training dummies for minutes at a time so this would be pretty handy for me actually.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They should put SSS in Gridania. You know how Limsa has Wolves' Den, Thanalan has Golden Saucer? I always felt it was weird Gridania doesn't have a "isolated zone".

Anyway it needs to be much more complex than a simple training dummy.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
SSS resets your cooldowns upon zoning into it (then puts them all on CD when you leave for some godforsaken reason but this will probably be gone in SB because recast penalties are going away). While it doesn't rate your performance you can ballpark your actual DPS by taking how many seconds you had left to kill it and calculating it against the HP value of the dummy (which is available online). For people curious enough this is a decent benchmark of performance.

The only weird thing is where it's situated but I guess they didn't have the budget to make a separate instance for it or something

Makikou

Pre-ordered Stormblood on Steam. So hype.

Yeah this game needs better guidance to new players.

But also, they are making DPS while healing easier yet some people still refuse to DPS.
5n99p3o918zy.png

People do not use common sense. If you're busy, don't DPS. If you aren't busy, DPS.

This just hurts my poor head, just like the BRD today who said he/she won't use Foes..

[13:59](Fay Heartfilia) i wouldnt use foe in aoe pulls since i do more aoe damage
[13:59](Fay Heartfilia) and that -10% is not oogd

LordKasual

Banned
I'm pretty sure they aren't removing ALL the DoTs

But i'm not even going to complain about it because as a BRD main turned BLM main.....DoTs are really boring.

Anyway, this game just needs a built-in parser. Self improvement isn't really a thing without it. At the very least, the training dummies should give accurate parses so you can practice solo and AoE rotations.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I imagine they're pruning the DoTs that don't really add anything to the theme or rotation of a class, like Mutilate, Fracture, Touch of Death and are just one and done spells that exist solely so players have something else to pay attention to. Now with the alternative resources everyone is getting they can phase the old, uninspired stuff out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom