• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inbachi

Neo Member
Alright so 120 or so hours on the trial and I'm ready to buy the full game. Isn't there a referral program or something? What's the details on that? Anybody here want to take advantage of it with me?

Also, is there room left in the GAF FC?

I imagine they're pruning the DoTs that don't really add anything to the theme or rotation of a class, like Mutilate, Fracture, Touch of Death and are just one and done spells that exist solely so players have something else to pay attention to. Now with the alternative resources everyone is getting they can phase the old, uninspired stuff out.

I won't miss them.

I don't mind DoTs if they are a cool part of the class, like Rogues had a stackable DoT that could do a lot of damage IIRC.

But the one and done DoTs are not interesting to use or maintain. I like this meter management theme they are going for instead.

Guess Who

Banned
I won't miss them.

I don't mind DoTs if they are a cool part of the class, like Rogues had a stackable DoT that could do a lot of damage IIRC.

But the one and done DoTs are not interesting to use or maintain. I like this meter management theme they are going for instead.

Yeah, I expect DoTs that are a key part of how the class plays - like for SMN/SCH or BRD - will stay, while classes that just have a DoT for the sake of having a DoT will lose them.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Alright so 120 or so hours on the trial and I'm ready to buy the full game. Isn't there a referral program or something? What's the details on that? Anybody here want to take advantage of it with me?

There's plenty of room in the fc, apply in game.

As for the referral code. Buy the game, register it, and then enter a referral code. The site should let you enter a referral code until you fork over some cash and buy some subscription time. As the referred person you'll get an emote, some tokens for gear, and a lv boost item that works for classes under lv 25.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/friend_recruit/

PM'd you a code. You redeem it in the MogStation

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Maybe the testing team was like "I keep getting energy from my teammates and it's 2fast4me".

BlackJace

Just tried T9 unsynced (unsuccessful)

7glZ99V.gif

I'm gonna try again at some point lmao, that was insane.

Haly

I had a DRG in AV who stayed out of the BRD's fire arrow.

By the end of the run I'm still not sure if I got through to him that it's a BRD effect and not an enemy effect.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I had a DRG in AV who stayed out of the BRD's fire arrow.

By the end of the run I'm still not sure if I got through to him that it's a BRD effect and not an enemy effect.
Idk, sounds like a well trained DRG to me. Going the extra mile to avoid AoEs

MilkBeard

Welp, finally put down some money on a subscription. I'll be starting up tomorrow with a new character. I can finally join the ranks of FF XIV Gaf, although I don't think I'll be able to play on the popular Gaf server since I'm all the way over in Eastern Europe.

Can't wait to dive in. I played the beta on PS4 back when they had it, and I've been meaning to get back into the game at some point.

Foxxsoxx

I'm glad that other new/returning players are enjoying the Hildinrand Quest line.

I remember reading in an interview that Yoshi-P was surprised that people actually liked the Hildibrand quests (IIRC these sort of comedy shows are more famous in Japan) and in another interview he stated that despite how silly the quest line might seem what we are seeing has actually been toned down since the team has tought about more weirder scenarios before that didn't make it to the game such as Hildibrand fighting Bahamut one on one.

Well the most important part of why they are awesome is that you can tell that they had a lot of fun with it, it's actually a great sense of humor, and most importantly they put a lot of effort into the cutscenes and quests. The cutscenes in particular have actual facial animation and love poured into them.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So with all the physical damage buffs getting added to the game, *mnk/rdm* You guys think that the sch libra spell will be a magic damage up debuff?

iammeiam

If SCH gets one, WHM probably should too.

I'm sort of starting to hope they're going to provide redundancy for all of the typical support stuff. Just make it so everyone offers something and stick to two melee and two ranged of any type. They've constantly struggled with how to balance the 'support' jobs, and it might just be time to junk the concept.

DarkKyo

So I'm thinking about fantasia'ing one of my characters before Stormblood. I could swear I once saw an exploit online once for how to preview new character appearances in your current gearset(because you can't preview your gear on your new/fantasia character because it asks you to remove all gear). Am I not remembering right or is there indeed a way that I can't currently find?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So I'm thinking about fantasia'ing one of my characters before Stormblood. I could swear I once saw an exploit online once for how to preview new character appearances in your current gearset(because you can't preview your gear on your new/fantasia character because it asks you to remove all gear). Am I not remembering right or is there indeed a way that I can't currently find?

There's a cheat engine out there somewhere that lets you swap out character models/customization along with gear sets and other stuff.

LowParry

Could you just create a toon in game, then use that save over into the benchmark? Or does the benchmark let you create a character to run through the benchmark?

I support this.

So Dancing Edge is either gone or does something new.

Apparently Maim applies slashing debuff now and Storm's Eye did something different.

I believe someone mentioned that they noticed Storm's Path filling up the rage meter more than other attacks.

It's possible that Warrior might be going the way of the other tank jobs in that its aggro combo might not be its best damage combo now.

It might sound bad now but I need to see all the other changes in order to determine how it will work out.

KuroNeeko

Made it to floor 50 in DD yesterday with a NIN, BRD, CON, and MCH.

Fight seemed to go all right, but then the floor was covered in glowing runes...

If you're solo queuing, do you just have to hope you're lucky with your comp or what?

iammeiam

Angary, how many times have you had the tutorial argument here?

More times than the "Diadem and Verminion are sort of embarrassing for SE" one but less times than "oh my god raider iLevel exclusivity is dumb nobody is even impressed just deal with the existence of poverty twine" one

It legitimately bothers me that a lot of the playerbase credits the devs with everything positive and knocks the players for everything negative. The "I do just fine and I didn't need outside help!" mentality is just silly and often times flat untrue. But the people making that claim have no reason to believe otherwise, because no feedback and without in-game teaching content stays tuned low enough that there will never be feedback.

Also people get cranky when I try to talk about physical ranged stuff at length and I'm in a lot of boring conference calls. Gotta kill time somehow

Guess Who

Banned
Made it to floor 50 in DD yesterday with a NIN, BRD, CON, and MCH.

Fight seemed to go all right, but then the floor was covered in glowing runes...

If you're solo queuing, do you just have to hope you're lucky with your comp or what?

Pretty much.

This is why I always solo-queue as healer, so I can guarantee I'm never in a healer-less party!

So for Paladin, if Requiescat really increases all damage by 20% and not just AA damage then saving your Holy Spirit spam for when you can trigger the additional effect on it might be a thing.

Also the only use they've shown for the Oath gauge so far is for activating Sheltron. I imagine there must be some offensive use for it. Perhaps one of the older abilities have been re-purposed to make use of it since none of the new offensive abilities they showed seemed to drain it.

BLCKATK

So for Paladin, if Requiescat really increases all damage by 20% and not just AA damage then saving your Holy Spirit spam for when you can trigger the additional effect on it might be a thing.

Also the only use they've shown for the Oath gauge so far is for activating Sheltron. I imagine there must be some offensive use for it. Perhaps one of the older abilities have been re-purposed to make use of it since none of the new offensive abilities they showed seemed to drain it.

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing the repurposed skills that interact with the gauge. I'm hoping that Shield Swipe is still in somehow and interacts with the Oath Gauge.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I get cranky that ranged physical dps exist but that shouldn't stop people talking about it. They should stew in their awful, awful rangedness.

Shadowfang applies both DoT and Slashing debuff.

rkfRV0L.jpg

It's about goddamn time. NIN getting clubbed at the knees because a WAR wasn't around was not fun. I actually got used to doing Dancing Edge so much (my static doesn't have one) that it actually gave me trust issues when there was a WAR that would actually do Storm's Eye.

I'm also really glad that it appears SAM is the same as new NIN, its slashing debuff is part of the normal rotation it already does without losing DPS.

KuroNeeko

Hey guys!

I just finished the MSQ The
Black Wolf's
Ultimatum and have about
more to go to finish the 7th Umbral Quests.

I know there are another
MSQs after to get to Heavensward, but how long does it take? Like, there were a lot of fetch quests and whatnot in the 2.0 quests, but do the 2.1-2.5 quests flow better? Are they designed better?

I don't want to rush through content--even now I'm not really spending time on other stuff I want to do like the market board, crafting, gathering, and beast tribes--but I'd like to gain access to Astrologian and Dark Knight at some point. lol

edit: Should I even bother getting SB at this point? lol

It's about goddamn time. NIN getting clubbed at the knees because a WAR wasn't around was not fun. I actually got used to doing Dancing Edge so much (my static doesn't have one) that it actually gave me trust issues when there was a WAR that would actually do Storm's Eye.

I'm also really glad that it appears SAM is the same as new NIN, its slashing debuff is part of the normal rotation it already does without losing DPS.

Yeah, so that's 3 jobs that can put up the slashing debuff. I wonder about piercing damage though since currently only Dragoon can put that up.

Hey guys!

Black Wolf's
Ultimatum and have about

I know there are another
MSQs after to get to Heavensward, but how long does it take? Like, there were a lot of fetch quests and whatnot in the 2.0 quests, but do the 2.1-2.5 quests flow better? Are they designed better?

I don't want to rush through content--even now I'm not really spending time on other stuff I want to do like the market board, crafting, gathering, and beast tribes--but I'd like to gain access to Astrologian and Dark Knight at some point. lol

If you plan to play through to Stormblood I don't see why you shouldn't get it. If you play every day you might be able to finish in time for Stormblood. At this point you can just proceed from MSQ to MSQ for a while since all the 2.X series stuff is level 50. That will also earn you experience so you'll have a headstart when you get into Heavensward.

Haly

I know there are another
MSQs after to get to Heavensward, but how long does it take?
A while.
Like, there were a lot of fetch quests and whatnot in the 2.0 quests, but do the 2.1-2.5 quests flow better?
Half and half. 2.1-2.3? is meh. 2.4-2.5 is gut.
Get a main story skip/level skip pot.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Hey guys!

Black Wolf's
Ultimatum and have about

I know there are another

Quest design isn't changed and will never be changed and the game evens makes a remark at some point about the player always ending up as an "errand boy" but quests flow does get better compared to 2.0

Anyone frustrated with this errand boy business I highly recommend you do the Job Quest for Dark Knight from L.30-Lv.50

I won't recommend buying a Jump Potion as the concept of paying money to have less content to play sounds really dumb to me despite whatever benefits a potential Jump player may get in return...now if it was free than sure but outright paying money for it? No thanks but that decision is ultimately your to make.

Quest design isn't changed and will never be changed and the game evens makes a remark at some point about the player always ending ip as an "errand boy" but quests flow does get better compared to 2.0

Anyone frustrated with this errand boy business I highly recommend you do the Job Quest for Dark Knight from L.30-Lv.50

It does get better in Heavensward at least.

I don't remember if any quests involved delivering mundane items to people in Heavensward. The context surrounding quests for the most part was more interesting IIRC. Which is ultimately what marks the difference between a good quest and a bad quest imo.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
It does get better in Heavensward at least.

I don't remember if any quests involved delivering mundane items to people in Heavensward. The context surrounding quests for the most part was more interesting IIRC. Which is ultimately what marks the difference between a good quest and a bad quest imo.
You must have willingly erased any memory you had of doing the Moogle Side Quests in 3.0 but I agree the quest design didn't change much in my opinion BUT Side Quest story line greatly improved if you asked me.

suzu

HW's MSQs are better, for the most part. Sidequests can be somewhat tedious.

Every copy of Stormblood includes Heavensward too right?

KuroNeeko

Thanks for the replies!

I'm in no hurry other than really wanting to try Astrologian and Dark Knight.

In reality though, after all this time as a NIN, I don't know if I can ever go back. ^^

Xion_Stellar

Galen, I don't know how you or your brother know what you know, but let me say what he told our bard made him ROCK hard about the changes.

Crisis of faith averted.

mileS

Hope the PS4 Pro patch will be good! I may have to switch over from PC (7 years old now). The benchmark wasn't very good for me lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom