• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So question to those currently playing. I haven't played since 3.2 .. Outside of the main story have there been any major changes to the game that are worth coming back for? Any big gameplay changes and such?

Thanks

Major gameplay changes are planned for 4.0

Was Palace of the Dead in 3.2? I can't remember but you could check that out.

You might want to check out 3.3 for the finale to the Dragonsong War.

3.4 for some more story goodness including the last tier of Alexander and the next member of the Warring Triad has been added (Sophia).

Boy I sure hope they don't use cleeng again.

Same. I just tried to access the archives because I missed the beginning of the Primals concert and it's a huge pain in the ass.

You can't choose what chunk of time to watch, you have to click to the end and hope it loads the next video instead of looping you around to the very beginning like it did to me.

Someone mentioned this a few pages ago but now I'm see how shitty it is for myself.

Squishy3

Same. I just tried to access the archives because I missed the beginning of the Primals concert and it's a huge pain in the ass.

You can't choose what chunk of time to watch, you have to click to the end and hope it loads the next video instead of looping you around to the very beginning like it did to me.

Someone mentioned this a few pages ago but now I'm see how shitty it is for myself.
It's also dumb because the actual streaming service they're using is just ustream.

Celcius

°Temp. member
How much of a hassle is it to change your chocobo's color? I think I want mine to be red...
Also, when does that green leaf next to your name go away? I'm just about to hit level 49 and have waaaaay more than 40 hours on the clock. If I remove it, the next time I log in it's back.

How much of a hassle is it to change your chocobo's color? I think I want mine to be red...
Also, when does that green leaf next to your name go away? I'm just about to hit level 49 and have waaaaay more than 40 hours on the clock. If I remove it, the next time I log in it's back.

I think it's a week of playtime.

Nohar

If they are using Tactics Ogre LUCT musics for the new Palace of the Dead, I will sincerely applaude, the OST is simply magistral. I hope they will add new tracks to the mix though.

Shevat

Neo Member

Regarding chocobo color, you can use this site: http://ffxivchocobo.com/ (from the first post!) and it basically does the work picking the color for you. You have to stable your chocobo and keep it there for a day or two for the color to take effect though.

Regarding your sprout, they extended the time requirement recently, and it will likely last you well into Heavensward if not all the way into level 60. It's honestly probably better to keep it the full duration, as from my experience players are generally more accommodating to players with the sprout icon -- more friendly, more willing to explain fights, more forgiving of bad play, etc. Your mileage may vary, of course.

But really, keep the sprout. I know you've played 40 hours, and that seems like a lot, but you still have at least that much play time, or more, ahead of you before you're caught up with the story. You're still considered very new in the community's eyes.

Ogawa-san

5 dungeon into play with a controller on ps4. Still not comfortable. Is M & KB the way to go or since it's day one should I give it more time ? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Stick with it. It's going to suck for a while, weeks maybe, but eventually muscle memory kicks in.

My best advice is using hold mode (character config > hotbar settings > cross > cross hotbar controls) instead of toggle/mixed. Trying to use my dpad or buttons without noticing my crossbar was open was the source of most of my frustration in the beginning.

Also check this controller guide, plenty of little tricks that'll help out.

Nakazato

Stick with it. It's going to suck for a while, weeks maybe, but eventually muscle memory kicks in.

My best advice is using hold mode (character config > hotbar settings > cross > cross hotbar controls) instead of toggle/mixed. Trying to use my dpad or buttons without noticing my crossbar was open was the source of most of my frustration in the beginning.

Also check this controller guide, plenty of little tricks that'll help out.
I'll check this out thank you so much
both are fine. i actually find controller more comfortable. only issue is having too many buttons but the recent crossbar update might help?
There was a cross bar update ? Hmm I'll look in to that as well :D

IvorB

So a couple of folks from GAF joined me for my first time Sephirot normal the other night and I made a few vids. Beginning and then my soon to be patented "floor cam" view of the finish. Usual disclaimers: excuse crappy play, been out of the game for a while etc etc.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I guess there's a bright side...

Imagine it. The Tidus/Yuna outfits are released.

All the male characters gather together, dressed as Tidus...

and /laugh

Phd_In_Owning

Neo Member
So I ran my free trial on steam because I didn't know any better and purchased a retail key. This comes up upon trying to activate the key:

For Steam Free Trial Account Users:
- A Steam registration code is required in order to transfer to regular service. Registration codes enclosed with the standard Windows version of FINAL FANTASY XIV cannot be applied to your account.

From browsing the web, it seems I'm screwed in carrying over my character. I'm not down to go through that slog to 35 again. Is there any chance I can get rid of that steam flag and change to a non-steam account?

Phd_In_Owning

Neo Member
I will try that, but on my account there is a (steam) flag and steam is the one who gave me the registration key for the trial - there is a cd key if I right click properties in steam.

Ogawa-san

Kind of stupid in hindsight, but... Having a BTN retainer when you're 60 at all DoL is a waste, isn't it?

My other is a WHM and is handy to bring monster drops and quick explorations since it inherited my 230 gear, now I'm thinking of reasons why I shouldn't reroll that BTN to DoW.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Historically they've given gathering retainers some exclusive items you can only get through high-level exploration, so there's at least that.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So I ran my free trial on steam because I didn't know any better and purchased a retail key. This comes up upon trying to activate the key:

For Steam Free Trial Account Users:
- A Steam registration code is required in order to transfer to regular service. Registration codes enclosed with the standard Windows version of FINAL FANTASY XIV cannot be applied to your account.

From browsing the web, it seems I'm screwed in carrying over my character. I'm not down to go through that slog to 35 again. Is there any chance I can get rid of that steam flag and change to a non-steam account?
Not that I'm aware of. It's steam or bust for that account on PC now.
Couldn't you just download the regular PC game client and login as usual?
No, cause he started his account with a steam trial and mogstation will only accept a steam code of the full game as his PC code. He can either rebuy the game on steam or move to console/mac if he wants to continue using that account. If he wants to use the vanilla code he has, he'll need to make a new account and start from scratch to be able to register it.

iammeiam

No, account status still flagged as steam. I can't even send a ticket to steam regarding the problem because of a form submission issue.

If your account is flagged Steam, it'll only work with Steam keys. SE can't/won't do anything, and there's absolutely nothing Steam can do since the account lives in the SE system. If you buy through Steam, this is also true for all expansions. An account tied at any point to a Steam PC key cannot ever be used with a non-Steam PC key.

Phd_In_Owning

Neo Member
Not that I'm aware of. It's steam or bust for that account on PC now.

No, cause he started his account with a steam trial and mogstation will only accept a steam code of the full game as his PC code. He can either rebuy the game on steam or move to console/mac if he wants to continue using that account. If he wants to use the vanilla code he has, he'll need to make a new account and start from scratch to be able to register it.

Thanks for the replies. I guess the upside is I'm not gonna be paying a monthly subscription. Some terribly handled licensing by SE. I'll probably post the key here for someone to give to a friend if I can't get around this system.

Could you please elaborate on the bolded? I'm quite certain I won't be able to run this account on console ( Steam free trial accounts cannot be transferred to the PlayStation®4 or PlayStation®3 versions of the game. ) but I am not sure I understand how MAC would affect the process. I have bootcamp and OSX.

Kind of stupid in hindsight, but... Having a BTN retainer when you're 60 at all DoL is a waste, isn't it?

My other is a WHM and is handy to bring monster drops and quick explorations since it inherited my 230 gear, now I'm thinking of reasons why I shouldn't reroll that BTN to DoW.

I like having a fisher retainer, because even if you're fully equipped and levelled yourself it can still be a pain to get a specific fish compared to the other gathering classes.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Thanks for the replies. I guess the upside is I'm not gonna be paying a monthly subscription. Some terribly handled licensing by SE. I'll probably post the key here for someone to give to a friend if I can't get around this system.

Could you please elaborate on the bolded? I'm quite certain I won't be able to run this account on console ( Steam free trial accounts cannot be transferred to the PlayStation®4 or PlayStation®3 versions of the game. ) but I am not sure I understand how MAC would affect the process. I have bootcamp and OSX.
I was assuming you could upgrade from steam trial to console/mac cause they're different platforms on mogstation unlike steam and vanilla PC which are both just dumped under a shared PC platform moniker. But looking into it a bit more it looks like starting via a steam trial account holds the account hostage until a steam code for the full game is applied to it so not even a console or mac license will save you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/34bn5y/problems_linking_ps4_and_pc_steam_accounts/

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So how do you do exploratory missions solo? I've wanted to get the Pegasus mount, and guides say you can enter solo, but I can't find any option for it.

Wilsongt

Well that was a fairly meh FanFest. We already knew what the expansion's name would be, already knew we were going to Ala Mhigo, and already knew it would focus on monks. All we got was a CGI trailer, the death of the PS3, and some vagaries about system changes.

Oh well. Onwards to Tokyo in December.

All I need out of the old content is T9-T13. It's nice having only two quests on the journal undone, but I DO need to do the end of the beastman quests...

GAF wanna push me through T9?

EDIT: unsynced T9 was so easy as to be insulting. What matter mechanics?

Well that was a fairly meh FanFest. We already knew what the expansion's name would be, already knew we were going to Ala Mhigo, and already knew it would focus on monks. All we got was a CGI trailer, the death of the PS3, and some vagaries about system changes.

Sorta glad I didn't buy the stream, overall it felt underwhelming and the Live Letter focused more on PotD. Nothing regarding anima which is supposedly coming in 3.45. Figures Japan fanfest they'll do more since it's local, and we'll at least get ONE job reveal. I wonder what they'll talk about in that liveletter.... new Diadem?

Squishy3

So how do you do exploratory missions solo? I've wanted to get the Pegasus mount, and guides say you can enter solo, but I can't find any option for it.
You can queue up via Duty Finder at the airship place in Ishgard.

I got my goodies and I got to see YoshiP give Koji shit about naming the dueling square dueling circle.

He even came back and gave him shit about it during the closing ceremony. Steals the mic from Koji and just gutturally says dueling circle. I need to go back and watch the lore panel where they talked about the meaning behind Sophia's song since I missed that.

TalonJH

Your retainer can only level as high as your level in that class so to get them maxed, you have to be at 60. It's nice to have them for gathering while you are doing other content. They also basically print money for you. Send them out and sell what they bring back. I have 4 retainer. One is a DRG, one BTN, one Miner, One Fisher. That covers all the content and if I plan ahead, I rarely need to gather unless it's a rare item. I also bring in more than 100-200k Gil per day without trying by sending them out.

wamberz1

So, is turning off text chat something that's common in this game? I keep explaining boss mechanics to people only for them to completely ignore me. I can tell it's not that them being dicks, they actually can't see what I'm saying otherwise they wouldn't constantly be attacking Ichorous Ire.

Chille

Okay last night was amazing, as we were finishing recording phoenixdownradio live at the Paris, most of the staff ended up walking past us as we were closing the podcast lol, Yoshi P even gave me a fist bump.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
gwvbrSE.jpg

House opened up in the Lavender beds, and I figured a small house to tide me over till Ishgard housing will do.

And it's that really neat plot on it's own little island

JLCXAD4.png

Squishy3

House opened up in the Lavender beds, and I figured a small house to tide me over till Ishgard housing will do.
Well, you're gonna be waiting a while for that... so yeah.

I'm saving up the money to buy a plot in whatever the new housing ward in the Stormblood areas will be.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Yeah...I think I will avoid buying the stream next time. We knew most of what they revealed already so there wasn't anything too interesting in there.

Kenai

Being a noob in Sophia EX isn't quite as faceroll as I was led to believe, but at least we saw 3% enrage. Will get it soon I am sure.

Omni

I really don't understand why I'm seeing people who have barely beaten A9s complaining that Savage is too easy this time around and that i270 gear is useless because you can 'beat everything in i240'.

Like okay, beat A12s with your entire static in i240 gear and then maybe you won't be completely talking out of your arse. But even still, why is more accessible content a bad thing? It's certainly not 'face roll' no matter what you read on some forums and it's still going to take most groups a little while to clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom