• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qvoth

What a pain. Where do I get 250-260 equipment? I've gotten some lore and Mhach gear for my MNK and tanks, and started on scripture gear, but I still have an i235 weapon and aren't quite i240.

i250 are from trading alexander creator normal parts
i260 are the scripture tomes gear

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, I came back a few months ago, got caught up. And was able to painlessly level up my crafting jobs from 50-60.

Moogle Tribe quests weren't a thing when heavensward came out, were they? I'm going to have to level up to 70 the hard, expensive way, aren't I?

edit: I guess I could still use moogle qeusts. They give a half-million exp per quest. Might just take a while...

Eldren

Heavensward beast tribe quests scale with your level. 50-60 with Moogles is super easy and painless.

It is painless but I think they mean that levelling past 50 with the Ixal quests is a grind because they give such tiny amounts of XP. So by extension, levelling past 60 with the Moogle quests will likely be a grind.

Is there any benefit to doing the relic quests from 2.0 at this point? Right now I'm at level 51, should I just keep doing my dailies and PotD, the 2.x story content, and when I hit 60 equip the Padjali weapon? And when I get to Heavensward, start grinding the Animus weapon?

Nohar

Is there any benefit to doing the relic quests from 2.0 at this point? Right now I'm at level 51, should I just keep doing my dailies and PotD, the 2.x story content, and when I hit 60 equip the Padjali weapon? And when I get to Heavensward, start grinding the Animus weapon?

Meh, relics aren't worth the time investment in my humble opinion. Avoid those quests like plague, it just isn't worth it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
No, it's a waste of time if you're trying to get caught up. Can come back to it later if you just want the weapon style for glamour purposes.

Yes. Might even be able to skip the Padjali weapon depending on how long it takes you to reach 60. PotD is getting an update next month along with ilv 255 weapon rewards.

Yes. You can start now in fact. Some items for it are can be bought with poetics so if you're good on gear right now you can start buying them to make it easier later on. If you haven't unlocked crystal tower you should consider doing so. You'll need an oil for the Heavensward relic that you can get either via tomes or by doing the weekly CT quest. http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Anima Weapons

At this point if you're not caught up you only do the relic quests if you want a shiny glamour and/or to have a head start for the 4.0 relic.

Unless you have a lot of time and dedication to spare, that is.

IvorB

True...part of me wants to do it for the story with my friend from Uni who is getting into the game...but then I think of the "grind" through the quests.

Eh you can't really do the quests together either way but you can level along side on another class and join for all the dungeons/trails. That seems like a better approach than having to do it all again yourself. Don't forget the referral stuff with your friend.

ebil

So they have better AOE burst then? Makes sense.

And it seems like Astrologian has the weakest AOE out of the three healers. I think Gravity is all they have in terms of doing AOE damage.
Can confirm AST is the weakest. The Balance makes up for it with decent DPS players but it really sucks when you're stuck in a low DPS group where you're consistently outDPSing everyone as a healer.

Redx508

from kagari https://twitter.com/ErrenVanDuine/status/787347372313501698

I see Jeels and Asami. is that Riley also

Cu04PThVYAEBKcL.jpg

Meh, relics aren't worth the time investment in my humble opinion. Avoid those quests like plague, it just isn't worth it.

No, it's a waste of time if you're trying to get caught up. Can come back to it later if you just want the weapon style for glamour purposes.

Yes. Might even be able to skip the Padjali weapon depending on how long it takes you to reach 60. PotD is getting an update next month along with ilv 255 weapon rewards.

Yes. You can start now in fact. Some items for it are can be bought with poetics so if you're good on gear right now you can start buying them to make it easier later on. If you haven't unlocked crystal tower you should consider doing so. You'll need an oil for the Heavensward relic that you can get either via tomes or by doing the weekly CT quest. http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Anima Weapons

At this point if you're not caught up you only do the relic quests if you want a shiny glamour and/or to have a head start for the 4.0 relic.

Unless you have a lot of time and dedication to spare, that is.

Thanks, this helps a lot!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Glamour purposes only.

A finished relic will let you skip the first stage in the Anima chain, but the first anima stage has been nerfed and can easily be completed in a few hours.

It gets funnier if you consider the utter clusterfuck that apparently was the merch line, and that the lore book is already sold out at FanFest.

I went to the first Fan Fest and it was bad but maybe not as bad as this sounds. They should try a reservation system next time. Wait in line to get your appointment and then if you don't show up within a grace period, you lose your spot. My biggest problem with waiting in line was that I missed a good half day of doing stuff at the festival.

Kyrios

Start doing clan hunts. You could probably get a full set of i180 gear in about a week

I'll check those out, thank you!

You could start doing the highest lvl available dungeons, how far are you into the main story?

I'm up to the Antitower (?) It stops me from queuing up because I need i180 gear to continue. I was just very confused on the whole post game progression since I'm new to any MMO postgame stuff.

Squishy3

Boy Cleeng's system for the archives is fucking terrible. You have to skip to the end of each archived video to even see the next instead of just clicking on the archive you want to watch.

Nasser

I took a break a while back but now i'm back to the game and I have one simple question. What is the fastest way to level up now? Trying to get all my classes to 60 before the next expansion pack comes out

itschris

I'll check those out, thank you!

I'm up to the Antitower (?) It stops me from queuing up because I need i180 gear to continue. I was just very confused on the whole post game progression since I'm new to any MMO postgame stuff.

I came back to FFXIV last month and had to gear up to progress the Main Story, so here's what I did:

The Leveling and Trials Duty Roulettes both give Lore Tomestones (and a few Scripture Tomestones), plus you can get more from any level 60 dungeons you have access to. If you go to Idyllshire and talk to Hismena, you can exchange Lore for i230 gear (and Scripture for i260). The cheapest stuff (jewelry and waist) is 375 tokens each.

Also, you can do 3 Vanu Vanu Beast Tribe Quests in the Sea of Clouds for 15 Lore each (45 total) per day, and 3 Vath Beast Tribe Quests in the Dravanian Forelands for 5 Scripture each (15 total) per day. Plus when you max out your current reputation level with a tribe, you get a special quest to rank up, and then a bonus 3 extra daily quests, so you can occasionally get double Tomestones.

For the weapon, I've been doing the Anima Weapon questline. The first two steps aren't too bad (farm FATEs in each of the Heavensward zones for a while, then do ten specific dungeons in order), which gets you an i200 weapon. I'm almost done with the third step now, which will get it to i210.

You could also do Palace of the Dead for Tomestones and eventually an i235 weapon - I just haven't touched that part of the game much yet, so I'm not as familiar with it.

Kyrios

I came back to FFXIV last month and had to gear up to progress the Main Story, so here's what I did:

The Leveling and Trials Duty Roulettes both give Lore Tomestones (and a few Scripture Tomestones), plus you can get more from any level 60 dungeons you have access to. If you go to Idyllshire and talk to Hismena, you can exchange Lore for i230 gear (and Scripture for i260). The cheapest stuff (jewelry and waist) is 375 tokens each.

Also, you can do 3 Vanu Vanu Beast Tribe Quests in the Sea of Clouds for 15 Lore each (45 total) per day, and 3 Vath Beast Tribe Quests in the Dravanian Forelands for 5 Scripture each (15 total) per day. Plus when you max out your current reputation level with a tribe, you get a special quest to rank up, and then a bonus 3 extra daily quests, so you can occasionally get double Tomestones.

For the weapon, I've been doing the Anima Weapon questline. The first two steps aren't too bad (farm FATEs in each of the Heavensward zones for a while, then do ten specific dungeons in order), which gets you an i200 weapon. I'm almost done with the third step now, which will get it to i210.

You could also do Palace of the Dead for Tomestones and eventually an i235 weapon - I just haven't touched that part of the game much yet, so I'm not as familiar with it.

Thanks so much, definitely screencapping this info! I started the Anima weapon quest and have to farm. Gonna try out those beast quests and try my hand at the clan hunts.

I hit floor 50 with Palace of the Dead (floors 41-50 with just a full dps team lol) and it said I can get that weapon once I get my aetherpool power to +30, so I might try that since I'm already more than halfway there.

Dinjoralo

I recently decided to get back into XIV after trying it a year ago... is crafting food really worth the time? Because I apparently became level 12 culinarian for some reason during that first bit of playing, and I'm not totally sure why. I guess it was something to try out before I was able to leave limsa.

I recently decided to get back into XIV after trying it a year ago... is crafting food really worth the time? Because I apparently became level 12 culinarian for some reason during that first bit of playing, and I'm not totally sure why. I guess it was something to try out before I was able to leave limsa.

It can be if you want to make the top end food that raiders use. But that would take a huge time and money investment on your part to achieve that skill level. Everything in between though is honestly pointless.

It can be if you want to make the top end food that raiders use. But that would take a huge time and money investment on your part to achieve that skill level. Everything in between though is honestly pointless.
Not entirely true, you can make a decent amount of money selling food used in power levelling CUL.

An easier way than doing the Anima stuff for a decent weapon is getting 1000 Lore and doing Alexander Midas Floor 4 for 4 Midan Gears. Turn the Midan Gears into Sabina in Idyllshire for a High Capacity Tomestone, then you can buy the i230 Lore weapon which is enough to do the current stuff. It can be upgraded to i240 with the Mhachi Penny/Farthing (1 each) from Void Ark and Weeping City of Mhach raids if you want as well.

I took a break a while back but now i'm back to the game and I have one simple question. What is the fastest way to level up now? Trying to get all my classes to 60 before the next expansion pack comes out

Leveling roulette then dungeons and leves/hunting log if you're not in a dungeon.

I hear Palace of the Dead can be good for leveling too.

Phd_In_Owning

Neo Member
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to mmo's but got to level 35 on the trial and am considering going all in as I see the game and expansion on sale. I really enjoyed raids and strikes in Destiny with other players, hence my interest in the genre. There are just a few things I'd like to ask:

1) Does the story pick up? At 35, there are hints at what could be an interesting plot re the Ascians, but most of it has been completely bogged down so far by some terrible quests and pacing.

2) Do I have to learn a crafting trade if I want to partake in all the endgame raids and dungeons? I really don't want to :(

3) Is catchup to level 60 really that bad? I've ended up skipping a good deal of cutscenes and flying through dialogue, though I get the gist of the plot so far. I've heard that patch 2.2-2.5 or so is really dull with mandatory main quests that give no exp.

4) How bad is the item level grind? Worst part of Destiny was the required Light Level, which I understand is standard MMO fare. I want to have fun in coordinated events but don't want to grind for a month to get there.

Thanks for any help!

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to mmo's but got to level 35 on the trial and am considering going all in as I see the game and expansion on sale. I really enjoyed raids and strikes in Destiny with other players, hence my interest in the genre. There are just a few things I'd like to ask:

1) Does the story pick up? At 35, there are hints at what could be an interesting plot re the Ascians, but most of it has been completely bogged down so far by some terrible quests and pacing.

2) Do I have to learn a crafting trade if I want to partake in all the endgame raids and dungeons? I really don't want to :(

3) Is catchup to level 60 really that bad? I've ended up skipping a good deal of cutscenes and flying through dialogue, though I get the gist of the plot so far. I've heard that patch 2.2-2.5 or so is really dull with mandatory main quests that give no exp.

4) How bad is the item level grind? Worst part of Destiny was the required Light Level, which I understand is standard MMO fare. I want to have fun in coordinated events but don't want to grind for a month to get there.

Thanks for any help!

The story culminates at 50. After that there's more stuff which some people did indeed complain about. After that there's Heavensward which is where most of the high praise comes from. Heavensward's story is much improved over everything in ARR imo. The finale also is better as well.

You don't need to craft anything at all in this game if you don't want to.

Gearing is pretty easy with the tomes you get for completing dungeons/trials/roulettes/etc.

itschris

An easier way than doing the Anima stuff for a decent weapon is getting 1000 Lore and doing Alexander Midas Floor 4 for 4 Midan Gears. Turn the Midan Gears into Sabina in Idyllshire for a High Capacity Tomestone, then you can buy the i230 Lore weapon which is enough to do the current stuff. It can be upgraded to i240 with the Mhachi Penny/Farthing (1 each) from Void Ark and Weeping City of Mhach raids if you want as well.

Interesting, thanks for the tip! I haven't touched Alexander yet.

Ogawa-san

Late to the live letter, got to catch the egi talk again.

I don't understand why they're starting with carbuncles, you use them for 30 levels and never again. Unless they're talking about glamouring egi as carbuncles, which I'd do myself tbh.

Squishy3

Late to the live letter, got to catch the egi talk again.

I don't understand why they're starting with carbuncles, you use them for 30 levels and never again. Unless they're talking about glamouring egi as carbuncles, which I'd do myself tbh.
Yeah, glamouring egis to look like carbuncles is the plan. After that's implemented they'd look into the other primals, dropped Ramuh and Sephirot by name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom