• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvorB

Using PotD to level my last two jobs will drive me insane... At first heroes that will "solo" everything annoyed me the most, nowadays it's the one guy that wants to kill everything in sight even in empty rooms.

It almost feels I'm missing something. Save fortune being up, there's no good reason to kill anything once passage is up, right? I mean I know everything can drop chests even without fortune up but the drop rate is something like 1%.

But you get XP from killing monsters so it seems to me like it's best to kill them unless you are at max level already.

But you get XP from killing monsters so it seems to me like it's best to kill them unless you are at max level already.
PoTD XP doesn't affect your actual level. There's no reason to kill everything besides fishing for loot or getting levels to make bosses easier

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
PoTD XP doesn't affect your actual level. There's no reason to kill everything besides fishing for loot or getting levels to make bosses easier

You have a better chance of getting a + to your weapon/armour if you're above the right level but as you hit 60 so fast now it doesn't matter as much as it used to (plus 235 weapons aren't that important anymore, though still a good starter weapon for new 60s).

IvorB

Yeah that's what I meant: you will gain the use of new abilities which will make your progress in the later levels easier.

I'm a Lalafell, with the shortest possible height, because I thought they were cute and was amused at the idea of such a small race being a tank in a party.

Lalafell tanks are the bravest tanks.

Yes, I love it when I got a lalafell as a tank in a dungeon.

They share the combat animation like the other races and it makes them look badass, a total opposite of their non-combat pose/animation.

dramatis

Having never played an MMO before FFXIV I found that I liked the potential of MMO's to be a genderless utopia where people are judged on gameplay and attitude rather than gender indicators. That's why I like lalafells, they are literally generless potatoes. It's probably the same reason why they freak out so many people. I should write a paper on this sometime.
I have a long memory and you didn't start off a potato

Thorgal

4.0 Monk hype has set in .

to celebrate i decided to go back to the basics

ffxiv_21102016_170239iwuq6.jpg

My alt being angry with me :

ffxiv_21102016_170534b1u8m.jpg

My kitty became Psychotic sadly and had to be put down .

ffxiv_17102016_2124167wup8.jpg

Akainu

Why is they no ass slider?

relevant:

2015 census.
waiting on the 2016 one but i found this which isn't official but also not too far fetched.

Wonder how many of the hyur are just defaults. I remember constantly seeing a default hyur males with a names that looked like they just mashed the keyboard standing in front of a board trying to sell gil.

any lalafell percentage over zero makes me question humanity.

Cmagus

A9S is pretty good, I jumped in a party to get some experience today and it's pretty unforgiving for mistakes but fun at the same time. We almost go the Faust during the fight down so we made some progress.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
relevant:

2015 census.
waiting on the 2016 one but i found this which isn't official but also not too far fetched.

For contrast, here is the last FFXI census from 2014.

jOZPpK5.jpg

27relnj.jpg

PXPvuBt.jpg

Census used to include stats on which face/hairstyle was most popular, but they don't do that anymore.

Worth noting that FFXI never added new races or allowed characters to change their appearance.

Village

Of course there are, Au Ra is literally weeb bait.

Waiting to be a cool dragon man that looks like a demon weeb bait.

folks wanting to be dragons is kind of there weird literary concept that pops up in multiple different cultures. Its actually pretty interesting going back and seeing the interpretations of dragons or dragon and demon esque people in fiction with cultures who had no connection to each other but had similar interpretations of such things.

Reivaxe

I got a favor to ask.
Can someone make a toon called Marcella Cat on the Siren server?

Friend wants me to transfer to that server and this way I can change my name to something more befitting of a dragon lady in the process.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Census used to include stats on which face/hairstyle was most popular, but they don't do that anymore.

Worth noting that FFXI never added new races or allowed characters to change their appearance.

31% taru NotLikeThis

Sophia Ex fucking defeated.

Was playing BF1 and on a whim I decided to join my FC'c training runs of the fight when our FC leader asked me if I wanted to join and after about 8-10 defeats we pulled it off.

Me and the other healer totally went healer's choice on the SMN who kept fucking up and stopped rezzing her and the rest of the dps were able to pick up the slack.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Note to self: don't switch from Defiance to Deliverance as Photon gets cast. You'll get hit for Defiance HP. You will die.

Apparently the role that has the least number of players is tank.

Also, why do people react so violently to the possibility that Samurai could be tank (that comment Yoshi-p made wasn't a definitive answer and people are still talking about the possibility regardless).

I'm not talking about just normal disagreement, but straight up violent hostility.

Village

Also, why do people react so violently to the possibility that Samurai could be tank (that comment Yoshi-p made wasn't a definitive answer and people are still talking about the possibility regardless).

I'm not talking about just normal disagreement, but straight up violent hostility.

Tanking is perceived as hard. Or rather non dps's jobs are perceived as hard. And more casual folks don't really want to do anything that gets into another realm of " complicated" you see this in overwatch. People picking dps's classes despite their team composition still having them.

There are also other factors, while I wasn't here for dark knights introduction from what I heard people we weirder out that dark knight would be a tank , for some it was the nature of the class in other final fantasy games. For others though it was aclass they percieved as cool, being a thing they didn't want to play. And that's the biggest issue, "samurai's are cool, I wanna be a cool samurai oh I have to tank, fuck tanking" people are far more willing to give up a cool thing if they think its complicated.

Another issue could be ... a sort of weird heroism, maybe some people don't think the hero would be a tank class? They want to be the dps hero, and tanking is something a side character would do... or something.

There are a lot of reasons for this tank rejection, I've seen it other mmo's

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Tanking is the easiest role in this game once you learn how to position the mobs. Actual abilities are snoozefest compared to DPS.

XI also had stats on races that actually mattered, at least as far as I remember(might have changed later on). Still surprised at the numbers for Mithras though.

Reknoc

Well, there's no apparently about it, it's fairly obvious by the game trying a bunch of stuff to make people want to tank. You have the special mounts and DR hero in need is nearly always a Tank now.

Tanking is perceived as hard. Or rather non dps's jobs are perceived as hard. And more casual folks don't really want to do anything that gets into another realm of " complicated" you see this in overwatch. People picking dps's classes despite their team composition still having them.

There are also other factors, while I wasn't here for dark knights introduction from what I heard people we weirder out that dark knight would be a tank , for some it was the nature of the class in other final fantasy games. For others though it was aclass they percieved as cool, being a thing they didn't want to play. And that's the biggest issue, "samurai's are cool, I wanna be a cool samurai oh I have to tank, fuck tanking" people are far more willing to give up a cool thing if they think its complicated.

Another issue could be ... a sort of weird heroism, maybe some people don't think the hero would be a tank class? They want to be the dps hero, and tanking is something a side character would do... or something.

There are a lot of reasons for this tank rejection, I've seen it other mmo's

I think it's almost certainly more on a perceived difficulty thing. Especially for the more casual players that are only running the simpler instances, I feel you see a lot more of failing something due to tank/healer messing up than the DPS and I guess people just don't want that sort of responsibility on them. Even when the DPS checks do get harder they're gonna be like, 1/4 DPS classes so unless someone is parsing no blame is likely to fall on them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
XI also had stats on races that actually mattered, at least as far as I remember(might have changed later on). Still surprised at the numbers for Mithras though.

There were notable stat differences with the races, but as the levels and ilvls got higher and higher, due to stat increases from gear.

Tanking and healing is a lot easier than DPSing, the difference is that its a lot easier to get by as a bad DPS than it is as a bad healer or tank. If your DPS is low the other 3 can still carry your group, if a tank dies because their CD cadence is shit then you are never clearing that fight.

Because people don't want yet another cool sword job as a tank because they don't want to tank.

Tanking is the easiest role in this game once you learn how to position the mobs. Actual abilities are snoozefest compared to DPS.

I think most of the difficulty with tanking is the responsibilities that come with it. It's not for everyone. Honestly, it's hardly for me. If I went DPS my life would feel a lot less stressful in the game. Which is why when I farm dungeons or do duty roulette I always play Monk.

I think most of the difficulty with tanking is the responsibilities that come with it. It's not for everyone. Honestly, it's hardly for me. If I went DPS my life would feel a lot less stressful in the game. Which is why when I farm dungeons or do duty roulette I always play Monk.
Tank is expected to lead the fight. This responsibility is mostly not wanted for most.

Meanwhile, easy times, easy tomes, easy gil, easy life. I don't even have to use cooldowns for 95% on content and I get all of the commendations anyway!

Just look at those empty blue spots on every party finder.

They need me. Sometimes i can get them to beg!

And there's nothing anyone can do about it! Wahaha!

Tank is expected to lead the fight. This responsibility is mostly not wanted for most.

Meanwhile, easy times, easy tomes, easy gil, easy life. I don't even have to use cooldowns for 95% on content and I get all of the commendations anyway!

Oh yeah. There are plenty of bonuses to being a tank. I do love quick queues when I want them and it is pretty nice to help friends and stuff when no other tank is around.

Sorta hoping Samurai isn't a tank because I want to abandon the role, but if it is then I guess it's another few years of tanking for me.

Oh yeah. There are plenty of bonuses to being a tank. I do love quick queues when I want them and it is pretty nice to help friends and stuff when no other tank is around.

Sorta hoping Samurai isn't a tank because I want to abandon the role, but if it is then I guess it's another few years of tanking for me.
I feel the same way. Monk is my main but i also want to do content, so now my tanks are higher ilvl. I was a SAM main who did PLD for my EGLS in ffxi.

Omni

Don't really agree.

I mean if you're a tank that stays in tank stance for the entire duration of a fight, then sure it's gonna be a bit zzz. Bit if you're dropping out of it and actively trying to push your dps, then I think it can be quite difficult. Not only to maintain hate in a long fight, but to appropriately cooldown so healers aren't having heart attacks (I suppose warriors are the exception to this stuff. As a DRK it can be a bit stressful dropping grit against high geared DPS). Plus you almost have the responsibility to know a fight completely while tanking.

If you know your basic rotation as a DPS then you can probably be carried through every fight in the game. Not so much while tanking.

DPS have to know the fight just the same. Using cooldowns at the wrong time can mean failing a DPS check because you blew Enoch or dying due to B4B.

You can have one or two bad DPS players and still clear but the less DPS they do the better the other DPS needs to be. There's a huge gap between a bad DPS' numbers and a good one, tanks not so much so them pushing DPS is just a bonus and not something mandatory for the most part.

Ogawa-san

Everyone's talking about the technical side of tanking, for me the hardest part is dealing with people in DF.

I love tanking but I hate people, so I heal my daily roulettes.

Yeah, being a tank is an amazing feeling. Everyone will obey to you.

So you want to pick every treasure in the dungeon? As you wish sir DPS and healer will follow you.

So you want to kill every mobs in the dungeon? As you wish as well, DPS will do their job for you.

You had an urgent afk while didn't have the chance to say anything to the group? No worry, they'll gladly wait, they won't kick you out.

Thorgal

Yeah, being a tank is an amazing feeling. Everyone will obey to you.

So you want to pick every treasure in the dungeon? As you wish sir DPS and healer will follow you.

So you want to kill every mobs in the dungeon? As you wish as well, DPS will do their job for you.

You had an urgent afk while didn't have the chance to say anything to the group? No worry, they'll gladly wait, they won't kick you out.

That last one is not entirely true .

when the tank in my DF group had to leave ( i was playing Monk ) i told the healer and blm " we are not gonna sit here and wait for another tank , lets go ." Iput FOE up and proceeded to monk tank for most of the Xelaphatol dungeon right until the last boss when a very lucky tank decided to pop in .

That last one is not entirely true .

when the tank in my DF group had to leave ( i was playing Monk ) i told the healer and blm " we are not gonna sit here and wait for another tank , lets go ." Iput FOE up and proceeded to monk tank for most of the Xelaphatol dungeon right until the last boss when a very lucky tank decided to pop in .
Monk meta, gonna stay winning all through 4.0.

Get some.
Saw a comic edit on reddit a few days ago, passing when i get home.

Village

* sees the new grand company gear, switches the fuck out of grand companinies* I tried to give you a chance addler but you continue to be lame.

the_id

Hey guys, I've reapplied to join the GAF free company. Was part of it a few years ago but haven't been playing so got kicked out.

How long does it take for the application to be approved?

I thought this comment was interesting.

Nah, the idea that Yoshida said that SAM would be DPS came from a poor translation iirc.
The closer translation to what he said was that the visuals of what makes SAM usually is the cloth wearing iaido using samurai and that lends itself for it being a DPS class, but he would also go on talking about SAM as a tank class as well.
They even made mention of it being in consideration for the new tanking job before they settled on DRK, like they considered Chemist as the gun toting healing class before they decided on MCH and AST.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was true since I vaguely remember something about Yoshi-p's comments being mistranslated before and causing confusion before someone came in to clear it up.

Redx508

Hey guys, I've reapplied to join the GAF free company. Was part of it a few years ago but haven't been playing so got kicked out.

How long does it take for the application to be approved?

what's your ingame name? I can get you in when i login

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom