• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTWheels

That's why I could see red mage having some kind of stance that lets it switch from full-on-healer mode or full-on-dps mode.

That way the hybrid nature of it can work without it being gimped.

That's why I could see red mage having some kind of stance that lets it switch from full-on-healer mode or full-on-dps mode.

That way the hybrid nature of it can work without it being gimped.
So Cleric Stance

Being a DPS/Healer hybrid is pretty meaningless when all healers in this game already are lol

yaffi

The problem with starting out with the Heavensward classes is they throw 30 levels worth of abilities at you from the start. It will take a bit of time to properly organize your crossbars and to learn what everything does.

SPeaking of that, will the new classes be like Heavensward where you have to get to the first town before you can get them?

If so they'll probably start at a higher level than 30, maybe 40 or 50? In that case you'll have to learn how to play them with a lot on your plate as well.

If they start them off at level 1 and allow anyone who has the expansion to select them then I'm not sure how that would go over since if you want to go through the expansion with a new job then that means you won't be playing any of the new content for quite a while.

EDIT: There's something wrong when I have the third highest number of posts in a thread.

They could introduce some kind of Novice Hall/PoTD/tutorial style dungeon where you level faster and get to know your skills. This way you wouldn't've to get used to tons of new moves all at once.

They could also introduce a "previously in FF14" video, like the Yakuza series does it. They could make it interactive. This way people who might want to jump directly into the addon could skip all the old stuff entirely.

And the best thing would be to combine both ideas.

LTWheels

So Cleric Stance

Being a DPS/Healer hybrid is pretty meaningless when all healers in this game already are lol

Well I was imagining something a bit more full on than cleric stance. Maybe something that is the equivalent of switching from Summoner to Scolar but via a skill.

aceface

Well I was imagining something a bit more full on than cleric stance. Maybe something that is the equivalent of switching from Summoner to Scolar but via a skill.

They would never do this because it would make other healers obsolete. Groups would always bring a class that can quick switch to a full on dps over a regular healer with just cleric. Trying to balance 3 healers took them the better part of a patch cycle, so I don't think we're getting a new healer this time around.

LTWheels

They would never do this because it would make other healers obsolete. Groups would always bring a class that can quick switch to a full on dps over a regular healer with just cleric.

Make it something that can only be used out of combat, or puts all skills on cooldown like switching class, or cost 50% MP etc

There would be ways to make it work.

Reivaxe

As for tanking talk ... I don't get it. I LOVE being a tank!
I FEEL LIKE THE HERO! I'M THE ONLY MOTHERFUCKER HITTING THIS THING IN THE FACE LOL

Everyone follows my lead cause they know it's gonna be not so good for em if they catch stray agro ... most of the time at least.

I get why people don't want to. They don't want that responsibly I guess and the pressure is more than if you're just attacking. One major downside to tanking is that you gotta stay ontop of your gear. It's a damn nightmare looking like a fool who can't keep aggro because someone's Item level is way above yours. That's half the reason I'm afraid to start the new level 50 dngs after leaving the game for so long (like over a year) ...
I remember after my first level 50 dng I was so shook I wouldn't set foot into another dng til I grinded out better gear with the hunts rewards. -_-

I wanna play DK but I can't do that til I progress the story.
And the only level 50 class I have is PLD ... which I started to feel was boring as hell before dropping the game for over a year. Now I'm leveling a level 36 War which is far more interesting but I got no clue wth I'm doing outside of the basic aggro combo lol

The pros and cons of tanking is something else.

Ogawa-san

Everyone follows my lead cause they know it's gonna be not so good for em if they catch stray agro ... most of the time at least.
That's progressively less true as you get closer to ex roulette. By then you're just the guy slowing everyone down because you're the only one that isn't sprinting.

Some tanks even do sprint, like this one DRK that would rather piss away all his TP than take 3s longer to get to the next pack.

IvorB

That was the summer outfit that year! I still have it in my inventory. They gave you bike shorts or something

I guess hot pants > genderless utopia. :)

Personally, I hope samurai is a tank 'cause that mean red mage might be DPS since there a shortage of caster DPS and we need something fresh.

aceface

I guess hot pants > genderless utopia. :)

Personally, I hope samurai is a tank 'cause that mean red mage might be DPS since there a shortage of caster DPS and we need something fresh.

Oh, passion of the converted and all that.

I think RDM is going to be a support dps like MCH and BRD- I think that would be good because despite being a necessary part of most groups those jobs I guess are tougher to play because it's always hard to find one. More support DPS jobs would address that problem.

Support being unpopular isn't really due to a lack of jobs, BRD was the most popular DPS job in 2.0 for a reason.

Adding yet another support caster won't solve anything.

1. Expand light classes to 5 members making this addition slot for support classes. I do not expect this to happen but would be pretty cool if they did this. Also rebrand Bard as a support job and maybe rework Ninja to fit this role as well. I've always liked support classes in mmos which is something that has really disappeared from the genre. I do not expect them to do this.

Back when the game was fresh into 2.0 I thought this was a path that the game would take eventually. Back when I thought that every class would get multiple jobs as sort of different specs within that class, and after a certain point of getting enough job skills that were already governed by levels you could expand the party system and add full time support. Of course none of that ever happened.
But I still think it would have been a good system. :c

Just had a matched PotD run that was pretty pleasant turn into a trainwreck on floor 47. MCH wanted to farm for silver chests, WAR (rightfully) told him no, then they got into a big argument that eventually turned into the WAR getting super passive aggressive before spending all of floor 49 yelling at everyone else. Then everyone started screwing up on the boss, which only fed into it. We did beat it, but only barely.

PotD isn't that serious of business, guys. Just have fun.

Thorgal

my FC (Mi6) just beat A12S

PBoZoM8.jpg

Just had a matched PotD run that was pretty pleasant turn into a trainwreck on floor 47. MCH wanted to farm for silver chests, WAR (rightfully) told him no, then they got into a big argument that eventually turned into the WAR getting super passive aggressive before spending all of floor 49 yelling at everyone else. Then everyone started screwing up on the boss, which only fed into it. We did beat it, but only barely.

When you say farm for chests, you mean killing mobs for drops or just opening all the spawned ones? Silver chests are the main reason most are in PotD.

I spend a good chunk of today making my first steps into FFXIV, and I made it to lvl 13 as an arcanist. However, along the way I have picked up a tooon of questions.

First of all, I'd like to know how to best spend my time. I've been focusing on story quests, class quests and the hunting log. I also pick up any sidequests and sidequest objectives that happen to be on my path, but I don't turn them in yet to save the xp for levelling other classes. Fates don't seem worth the effort.

Now, I just unlocked leve quests, guild hests, the duty roulette, and the quest recommendations, and I'm kind of overwhelmed. Should I do the leve quests and guild hests or just focus on progressing the story? Is it important to always look at the recommended quests, or only when I don't know what else to do?

Also, I've been given some atribute points to spend, but I haven't allocated them yet for fear of messing up. As an arcanist that wants to become a summoner, should I just dump everything I can into int? Should I place a few in pie and vit as well? Is it possible to change my build later, and if so, how costly is it?

If people could help me with (any of) these questions, I'd appreciate it!

Sorian

Banned

Rightfully?

IvorB

I think RDM is going to be a support dps like MCH and BRD- I think that would be good because despite being a necessary part of most groups those jobs I guess are tougher to play because it's always hard to find one. More support DPS jobs would address that problem.

I would be okay with that. I liked the support aspect of bard.

aceface

I spend a good chunk of today making my first steps into FFXIV, and I made it to lvl 13 as an arcanist. However, along the way I have picked up a tooon of questions.

First of all, I'd like to know how to best spend my time. I've been focusing on story quests, class quests and the hunting log. I also pick up any sidequests and sidequest objectives that happen to be on my path, but I don't turn them in yet to save the xp for levelling other classes. Fates don't seem worth the effort.

Now, I just unlocked leve quests, guild hests, the duty roulette, and the quest recommendations, and I'm kind of overwhelmed. Should I do the leve quests and guild hests or just focus on progressing the story? Is it important to always look at the recommended quests, or only when I don't know what else to do?

Also, I've been given some atribute points to spend, but I haven't allocated them yet for fear of messing up. As an arcanist that wants to become a summoner, should I just dump everything I can into int? Should I place a few in pie and vit as well? Is it possible to change my build later, and if so, how costly is it?

Focus on story quests, exp from them will take you most of the way to the level cap on your main. All points should be put into int if you want to be a summoner, yes. Down the road you can buy an item super cheap that resets your attribute points.

IvorB

You should always keep doing the main story quest because lots of stuff is gated behind it. Other than that just do what you enjoy. I would recommend unlocked the challenge log and doing daily low level roulette. Guildhests are also great training for party content and I think everyone should do them as they unlock.

I wouldn't bother with leve quests. Focus on the Main Scenario Quests, do each guildhest and dungeons as you unlock them, hunting log is good exp and you'll end up doing it along the way anyways. Duty Roulette and Fates are good if you're burned out on the MSQ.

What server are you on and what is your character name?

Attribute points are so minor in the grand scheme of things that they're a nonissue. Just pick one stat and dump them all into that.

As far as leveling goes, the main story quests are what you'll want to focus on. If you only do those you will eventually come to a point where you need to do some grinding to unlock the next quest, so when you feel like it you can scatter in additional stuff like guildhests and roulettes. Getting the daily bonus for roulettes is particularly helpful for gaining experience. Once you get to level 17, you'll want to do a quest in Gridania to unlock Palace of the Dead, as that will provide some good experience as well. In general, there's no need to stress out too much; XIV isn't particularly hard until you get to some of the end-game trails and raids. I haven't done much with The Hall of the Novice, since it wasn't around when my character was low level, but you can also try that out for additional help on the skills you'll need in party content.

Also, I should point out that there is a limit of 30 to the quests you can have active at any given time, so if you don't want to turn in sidequests now you shouldn't start them or you'll eventually run out of room.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm gonna stick to the main story quests, and do the duty roulette on the side as I've enjoyed them so far.

My character is Print Screen on ultros, feel free to add me.

So, I'm having trouble healing as a WHM in a11 and a12. I'm thinking of adding materia to all my equipment to help out a little bit. I realize that materia won't fix much, but is Spellspeed the way to go?

Edit: It might help to understand where I fall short. Those raids in particular have a lot of moving around but need a lot of AOE healing. I'm doing some reading now and crit seems like a good choice.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm gonna stick to the main story quests, and do the duty roulette on the side as I've enjoyed them so far.

My character is Print Screen on ultros, feel free to add me.

One other recommendation.

As you do the main story quest, you'll visit villages and little settlements in various zones. Many of these zones have short side quests. In addition to providing a decent amount of exp, some of them will also provide gear for your level, saving you the expense of buying new gear every few levels.

If you're new to the game, the other thing I suggest doing asap when you're level 15 is travel to Limsa Lominsa's Upper Decks and pick up the quest "Rising to the Challenge" from the NPC I'tolwann. This unlocks the Challenge Log, another source of bonus exp, gil, MGP, and other currency for fulfilling specific requriements. The Challenge Log resets every week on Tuesdays, so you can always make use of it.

A melee DPS that also casts spell would be cool. I feel like that's likely the form that RDM will take.

Looking at some wikis they've had access to Double cast which lets them cast two spells one after the other.

In FFXI they had Chainspell, which allowed them for a time to chain as many spells as they want without cast time as long as they have the necessary MP.

When you say farm for chests, you mean killing mobs for drops or just opening all the spawned ones? Silver chests are the main reason most are in PotD.

As in doing full clears and staying on floors to kill the respawning mobs for the rare chance that they might drop a silver chest. Everyone was already 60 and we were just a couple of floors from 50. Forgot to mention he asked on a floor where we were blinded and had gloom up.

Nothing wrong in asking, but most matched parties are in full "speed to the end" mode at that point.

Stuart444

That's progressively less true as you get closer to ex roulette. By then you're just the guy slowing everyone down because you're the only one that isn't sprinting.

Some tanks even do sprint, like this one DRK that would rather piss away all his TP than take 3s longer to get to the next pack.

Nothing wrong with a DRK sprinting. As long as they have enough MP for Unleash, it's all good.

I had this awesome DRK in Xelphatol who sprinted for most of the dungeon. It was awesome and the fastest Xelphatol run I've had.

DRK being less reliant on TP is awesome in these cases

Reknoc

I looked up quelling strikes and I have to say: I wonder what would have happen if I was thought how to play properly before I joined the gaf guild.

Knowing how to play is overrated. Just press buttons and follow the crowd and no one will know you're the reason they're getting the bonus.

Fake it until you make it.

IvorB

Looking at some wikis they've had access to Double cast which lets them cast two spells one after the other.

In FFXI they had Chainspell, which allowed them for a time to chain as many spells as they want without cast time as long as they have the necessary MP.

Well, black mage and all casters have double cast already so that's nothing new. Chaining sounds cool... spell combos maybe?

Red mage will be a melee magic user.

3 stances each with a different looking elemental weapons that makes its combos have different effects. Each stance will cause a Potd like glowng weapon to appear in the left hand.

Combo effects will mirror what already available on other classes like the drg pierce debuff, ninja slash debuff, or monk int debuff. Autos or completed combos build stacks that let you swiftcast a spell when you get enough.

MP can only be gained in one stance. Another stance is primarily utility moves. The last one higher potency combos.

Red mage will be a melee magic user.

3 stances each with a different looking elemental weapons that makes its combos have different effects. Each stance will cause a Potd like glowng weapon to appear in the left hand.

Combo effects will mirror what already available on other classes like the drg pierce debuff, ninja slash debuff, or monk int debuff. Autos or completed combos build stacks that let you swiftcast a spell when you get enough.

MP can only be gained in one stance. Another stance is primarily utility moves. The last one higher potency combos.
What will be the Main Hand you equip?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well, black mage and all casters have double cast already so that's nothing new. Chaining sounds cool... spell combos maybe?

FFXI had a magic burst system that was kind of OP. Melee characters would do a combination of weapon skills in a certain order, which would create an elemental magic spell when completed. Black Mages, Red Mages and Summoners could then cast magic of that affinity. If the timing was right the magic spells would be incredibly powerful.

Leunam

Isn't it pretty settled now that they were both Monks? I know I saw Fists of Earth, Shoulder Tackle, Demolish, Form Shift, Snap Punch, and maybe Fists of Wind from either character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom