• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Plenty of people tried to make you feel better, but Imma one up all of them.

I wiped a matched group on the first pull of Hauke Manor (regular, not even hard) when leveling WHM. For some reason my brain went "paying attention to tank's HP? ain't no body got time for that"

I've had to bail out of a Baelsar's Wall because everyone save me was at the bare minimum ilvl and it was a massive headache. The first boss took a solid 8 minutes to kill and I was 99% certain that we weren't gonna do the mechanics for the last boss with that kind of DPS.

Baelsar and Sohm Al are made way, way, way too annoying if your party is at the minimum because most of the boss mechanics suck.

Putting these two together is pretty funny to me in a way. Had an EXDR (Baelsar, particularly) last night with a Ninja who used zero mudras the entire run (not even Huton, he did have poison though) and would Mutilate a mob, run away from the pack, sit for a few seconds, and run back in. Every pull. Combined with everyone taking random mechanics because not knowing better or greed or both (I swear I used to be able to cheat that stun ;_;) it was a run that was the longest EXDR I've had since I resubbed back in like October/November.

It took 19 minutes.

So eh. I'm pretty big on the whole notion of playing properly and people can in fact do better than they limit themselves to but, at the same time, situations like this are mostly just a "Well, that's unfortunate" and that's about it; never worth saying anything about unless the person is being a raging jackass on their own. And, hell, if he gave me Goad and the occasional Shadewalker, he'd still be a top 10 DF Ninja contender. Ultimately, dungeons are really forgiving content that you should treat as mostly your low stress thing; don't fret too much on 'screwing up', chances are likely everyone else is too busy expecting to be called out for their own mistakes to worry about the trivial bits OR they just expect it and can work around it anyway.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Speaking of POTD, is there a new deep dungeon coming in SB? If not, will POTD be updated at all?

K-Marx

Banned
WoW treasures tend d to be more specific items in defined places, not chests with random contents. Archaeology is a lot more like maps, I think.

The maps themselves I think are probably on soloable now, but most of the good stuff is in Aquapolis. Aquapolis levelsyncs you to i180, so it can't be overgeared. WAR+SCH is enough for Aqua; I don't think it's soloable.

I did it as war with a whm friend but it was a miserable time. We got 5 doors in and we were practically begging for the place to kick us out

LaneDS

WoW treasures tend d to be more specific items in defined places, not chests with random contents. Archaeology is a lot more like maps, I think.

The maps themselves I think are probably on soloable now, but most of the good stuff is in Aquapolis. Aquapolis levelsyncs you to i180, so it can't be overgeared. WAR+SCH is enough for Aqua; I don't think it's soloable.

Gotcha, thanks. Might try the one I picked up later to see how that goes.

iammeiam

I did it as war with a whm friend but it was a miserable time. We got 5 doors in and we were practically begging for the place to kick us out

I tried on WHM once and it was MP suffering with too much downtime; I wouldn't go on WHM or AST without a DPS or two to speed it up. SCH in its current form is infinitely better because the fairy can solo heal most of the time, and Bane + Blizz 2 lead to some absolutely crazy damage with Aetherflow and the occasional Energy Drain kept things flowing. This will all be in flux post-Stormblood, but at the moment it's not too bad.

It's obviously faster with more people, but 2-Man Aquapolis was ridiculous money for relatively little investment and doesn't require you gear up the jobs at all.

I am glad every melee DPS is getting Goad now.

They too can learn the joy of giving Goad to another melee DPS and not receiving it back for the entire run.

I tried on WHM once and it was MP suffering with too much downtime; I wouldn't go on WHM or AST without a DPS or two to speed it up. SCH in its current form is infinitely better because the fairy can solo heal most of the time, and Bane + Blizz 2 lead to some absolutely crazy damage with Aetherflow and the occasional Energy Drain kept things flowing. This will all be in flux post-Stormblood, but at the moment it's not too bad.

It's obviously faster with more people, but 2-Man Aquapolis was ridiculous money for relatively little investment and doesn't require you gear up the jobs at all.

I hope they add new challenging content (coliseum anyone) that gear syncs you. Out gearing dungeons and trials is something that's never going to go away but any new stuff content they add that's not dungeons/trials should sync you so whatever challenge it has initially isn't trivialized by time.

EDIT: Just noticed Sprint only lasts for 10 seconds and is on a 60 second cooldown now. I guess that's to prevent people from perma sprinting everywhere.

Ala Alba

Would anyone want to get together and attempt a floor 200 run of PoTD? That's the only content I've yet to do and would like to finish it before SB hits.

I'm 99/99 and I can go tank, ranged dps, or melee dps.

I'd be willing to give it a go, but I'm only at 64/65.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Preparation Tip For Stormblood:

Go spend those Allied and Centurio seals on Aetheryte tickets to facilitate free teleports.

iammeiam

tfw Eureka will probably be awful.
Please prove me wrong YoshiP

Join me in delusionland, where an up and coming staffer had a brilliant idea for Diadem 2.0 only to so impress Yoshida with its genius that he suggested moving the concept to the next expansion as Eureka where it could escape the stigma attached to the Diadem name. This left them with no choice but to slap together a mess of Fates and a single boss fight to give them something Diadem to release. But knowing how unappealing the stopgap they designed was, they tried to mask it with OP weapons as bait.

studyguy

Join me in delusionland, where an up and coming staffer had a brilliant idea for Diadem 2.0 only to so impress Yoshida with its genius that he suggested moving the concept to the next expansion as Eureka where it could escape the stigma attached to the Diadem name. This left them with no choice but to slap together a mess of Fates and a single boss fight to give them something Diadem to release. But knowing how unappealing the stopgap they designed was, they tried to mask it with OP weapons as bait.

Diadem 2.0 was actually in our hearts and minds. The fun was the friends we made along the way.

For the most part, yeah. You are only making progress on one class at a time at any given point.

I wouldn't recommend this. You'll be missing some pretty important tools/abilities from level 30 onwards if you don't take the related advanced job (in the case, monk.)

It's really not that bad. Grab a lance, swap over to lancer, and chain some runs of level 1-10 palace of the dead. You'll hit 15 quicker than you think.
I just completed the quest to unlock palace of the dead last night and I believe the trial I'm on allows the first ten levels so if I could knock that out quickly that way I could try that. My concern is that my number one priority is advancing the story as I need to finish ARR's story to get SAM and so working on another class holds me back from leveling up to meet MSQ level requirements. If it's super quick to get to 15 with Lancer it won't be a big deal though. About how long would it take considering I'll get double xp?

It's worth noting that secondary class requirements are going away in Stormblood, so if you're fine with waiting another week you won't have to level Lancer up! (Although leveling to 15 really doesn't take long.)
That was my thought regarding leveling pugilist to 50. Do pugilists have the same gear as Monks? I'd want to know if the best lvl 50 gear I'll have by the time I complete the game would be compatible for my future SAM job. I know Monk's will but not sure about Pugilist.
To clarify something, Pugilist goes to Monk still at 30 Pugilist + 15 Lancer. Upon being a Monk, you'll still be whatever level the base class of Pugilist was (e.g., if you unlock Monk at like level 47 on Pugilist, you're still a 47 Monk). The same for Lancer -> Dragoon, Gladiator -> Paladin, Marauder -> Warrior, etc. The classes -> job thing is still basically rooted onto the class as far as your EXP is concerned.

Oh, so Monk won't reset back to 1, thank god. Ok, so I could just take a quick detour to get Lancer to 15 and then my Monk will be at level 31. This is no where near as bad as I was fearing then. So my question is definitely how long would it take to get Lancer to level 15 given that I'll get the 50% boost from it being my second class?

Danim

Neo Member
Oh, so Monk won't reset back to 1, thank god. Ok, so I could just take a quick detour to get Lancer to 15 and then my Monk will be at level 31. This is no where near as bad as I was fearing then. So my question is definitely how long would it take to get Lancer to level 15 given that I'll get the 50% boost from it being my second class?

You could level a Lancer to 15 in a matter of hours with the 50% XP boost, doesn't take long at all.

Vic_Viper

Supposedly only being lvl 50 is enough to get Samurai and Red Mage especially since class requirements appear to be going away. Don't know if you need to be at a specific MSQ either but I would guess finishing Ultima fight in ARR would be a likely requirement.

Oh man I hope there's no requirements for the new classes other than being lvl 50. It will take forever to finish the Heavensward MSQ so I hope I don't have to do that either. I will finish it but I just don't want to have to rush through it just for the new jobs.

studyguy

Literally the only reason I made an FC and bought a house was easy gathering access. Infinite darksteel, no waiting.

OH SHIT THAT'S RIGHT I CAN USE MY FC HOUSE TO GO.

Also my FC died ages ago. I got left the house. It's a nice big house.
I built the other 2 airships alone. I garden alone. I live there alone.
I wish I could sell the house without getting fucking banned or something.

IvorB

I hope they add new challenging content (coliseum anyone) that gear syncs you. Out gearing dungeons and trials is something that's never going to go away but any new stuff content they add that's not dungeons/trials should sync you so whatever challenge it has initially isn't trivialized by time.

This is not the way forward. Nothing takes the pleasure out of working to gear your character more than having it synched down all the time. I don't know why it's so hard for them to figure a way to scale the challenge upwards though. Pretty sure lots of games are able to do that.

jtan

Sorry for all the question I keep posting and I'm not sure if anyone would know the answer to this one, but here I go.

So I can't do a free trial on the ps4 because I already have a service account that I used back in 2014 during the beta and it's linked to my PSN.

I pre-ordered the FFXIV complete edition and got the early access code for the PS4. Do you guys think I'd be able to play the game early access or would I have to wait until the actual game disc comes for the complete edition?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Sorry for all the question I keep posting and I'm not sure if anyone would know the answer to this one, but here I go.

So I can't do a free trial on the ps4 because I already have a service account that I used back in 2014 during the beta and it's linked to my PSN.

I pre-ordered the FFXIV complete edition and got the early access code for the PS4. Do you guys think I'd be able to play the game early access or would I have to wait until the actual game disc comes for the complete edition?

I think you need a full FF14 license on the account to even activate the early access key on the account. I'm not really sure.

Allard

Oh man I hope there's no requirements for the new classes other than being lvl 50. It will take forever to finish the Heavensward MSQ so I hope I don't have to do that either. I will finish it but I just don't want to have to rush through it just for the new jobs.

They confirmed Heavensward MSQ completion was not necessary, even talked about leveling up through the Heavensward main story if you wanted to.

iammeiam

This is not the way forward. Nothing takes the pleasure out of working to gear your character more than having it synched down all the time. I don't know why it's so hard for them to figure a way to scale the challenge upwards though. Pretty sure lots of games are able to do that.

I really think the answer is a mix of both types of content. PotD and Aquapolis operate seperately from the gear treadmill, and it's for the best for those pieces of content. Meanwhile, overgearing letting everyone eventually see all the main story stuff and raids works for that. Ideally they'd perfect stat syncing without skill removal and let people select challenge levels for older content. The rotation changes and the pre-warning that jobs are going to play like garbage at 60 in SB means levelsync alone is insufficient.

The EA post on lodestone makes it sound like the Complete Edition just flat out doesn't get early access at all.

You could level a Lancer to 15 in a matter of hours with the 50% XP boost, doesn't take long at all.

Sweet, assuming via palace of the dead? I hope it's solo-able for the first ten levels and that the first ten levels are enough to get from 1-15. I know the palace has it's own levels so I'm not sure how the xp translates when you leave exactly. I'll make sure to pick up Lancer before I do the daily roulette for today too. I just realized I could complete the next story mission but wait to cash it in until I am in Lancer state, that should be a nice xp pay out for a level 1 class at 50% ha

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Sweet, assuming via palace of the dead? I hope it's solo-able for the first ten levels and that the first ten levels are enough to get from 1-15. I know the palace has it's own levels so I'm not sure how the xp translates when you leave exactly. I'll make sure to pick up Lancer before I do the daily roulette for today too. I just realized I could complete the next story mission but wait to cash it in until I am in Lancer state, that should be a nice xp pay out for a level 1 class at 50% ha
You can run it solo, but it'll go much faster if you use the "matched party" option. That will let you get grouped up with 3 other random people instead of just dumping you inside alone.

Once inside, you'll start at lv 1 and monsters will give out tons of xp. 2 kills and you'll lv up levels of xp. You'll need to kill 3 - 5 monsters per floor to unlock the gate for the next floor. At floor 10 there will be a boss and an exit, beat the boss and you get a set amount of real xp outside potd. So if all you care about is lv'ing outside, your goal is to kill the minimum amount of monsters inside to proceed to the next floor till you get to floor 10 and kill the boss. One run will take you ~10 - 15 mins depending on how slow your group is and will give you about 100 - 60% xp to the next lv.

Apoptomon

Honestly, I kind of like that this game forces you to do content with other people as part of the MSQ. In the few other MMOs I've played, dungeons are either not mandatory (or have a solo mode if they are), and for a couple of them you were almost never without 1-4 AI companions anyway, even for overworld stuff.

You can run it solo, but it'll go much faster if you use the "matched party" option. That will let you get grouped up with 3 other random people instead of just dumping you inside alone.

Once inside, you'll start at lv 1 and monsters will give out tons of xp. 2 kills and you'll lv up levels of xp. You'll need to kill 3 - 5 monsters per floor to unlock the gate for the next floor. At floor 10 there will be a boss and an exit, beat the boss and you get a set amount of real xp outside potd. So if all you care about is lv'ing outside, your goal is to kill the minimum amount of monsters inside to proceed to the next floor till you get to floor 10 and kill the boss. One run will take you ~10 - 15 mins depending on how slow your group is and will give you about 100 - 60% xp to the next lv.

Oh ok, even better. I didn't know if you could match for that dungeon. Cool, I'll check that out and see how the pay out goes. Thanks for explaining it!

As far as forcing you to join parties go, I really like having a few other human players to battle with and prefer it to just running around solo but at the same time, I feel like I'm missing 80% of the multiplayer experience because of the lack of a means for communication. I really wish there was a proximity chat for dungeons I could use my headset for. It's far too cumbersome to type when playing with a controller especially at the pace dungeons run at. It would be so fun to run these dungeons if you could chat with your party. Even if I formed a group with gaffers, I still wouldn't be able to chat with them unless they were playing on PS4 and we used the PSN party chat.

v1perz53

Really my only issue with doing dungeons for the MSQ is how many important things in the game are gated behind some of the early dungeons and queue activities, so if you are playing as a DPS you have a lot of times in the early game where you have to dick around for 15-30 minutes not really doing anything useful because most things haven't unlocked yet just to do a dungeon, then wait 15-30 minutes again because you talked to 2 people and another dungeon quest popped up. Gets totally fine later when you've unlocked your mount and grand company stuff and whatnot, and you might want to be leveling another class in your downtime, but really early on at like lv 16 it is kind of annoying to have to do those dungeons. At east for me, felt like I didn't understand the game enough by that point to know what I was supposed to be doing while waiting in a solidly long queue.

Also, specific to one thing but early on it feels really dumb to
get caught by the Amalj'aa getting ready to be sacrificed to Ifrit
only to queue to kill him, see a 30 minute timer, and teleport out to grind some fates before porting back in for the whole cinematic and story. Really took me out of the story for that specific part.

Omni

Sold my house. Got six million for the plot. So that was okay! Lost my Moogle skin but if I end up getting a new house in the new 4.0 area I'll just craft another one with my FC

Sitting on 65 million gil right now so set for SB hopefully. Can't wait to blow it all on glamour, haha.

jtan

I think you need a full FF14 license on the account to even activate the early access key on the account. I'm not really sure.

That's what I was thinking as well. Maybe I should have given that early access code away before using it lol.

The EA post on lodestone makes it sound like the Complete Edition just flat out doesn't get early access at all.

Hm, that's so weird. I mean it makes sense since you wouldn't get the license up until then, but I actually got the PS4 early access code in an email and used it on PSN (though now it seems like a waste and I should have given it up to someone who could actually use it)

What exactly is spiritbond for? The game warns me I have that at 100 when trying to sell some equipment. Is it only relevant when crafting?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I really think the answer is a mix of both types of content. PotD and Aquapolis operate seperately from the gear treadmill, and it's for the best for those pieces of content. Meanwhile, overgearing letting everyone eventually see all the main story stuff and raids works for that. Ideally they'd perfect stat syncing without skill removal and let people select challenge levels for older content. The rotation changes and the pre-warning that jobs are going to play like garbage at 60 in SB means levelsync alone is insufficient.

Would it matter? Presumably the jump potions wont be available until real launch.

Does it require being 100 to convert? Or the higher the stronger the materia will be?

Need 100 to convert. Level of the materia is based on the ilvl of the item.

5s are like a 15% on 170+ items.

The type it is will determine if it's battle oriented/gathering/or crafting.

Sadly, elemental materia is still in the loot table and totally useless

Need 100 to convert. Level of the materia is based on the ilvl of the item.

5s are like a 15% on 170+ items.

The type it is will determine if it's battle oriented/gathering/or crafting.

Sadly, elemental materia is still in the loot table and totally useless

Thanks, I'll assume what I have is garbo then since it's such a low level haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom