• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0ckman

Did they make it easier to level up DoH jobs? Last time I was doing it before 3.0 I started getting burned out, but last night in 2 hours or so I shot up almost 20 levels over half way done with one.

studyguy

I'm not particularly tied to any tank job, I just find the statement funny vs the reality of what they actually did.

Yeah but fuck WAR.
xrCw-V.gif

iammeiam

The best part or the pre-change period is the constant "it's too early to judge!" stuff about WHM's terrible new core mechanic, while everyone is doing tank power rankings based on potencies.

in b4 none of you can hold aggro anymore

Thorgal

The best part or the pre-change period is the constant "it's too early to judge!" stuff about WHM's terrible new core mechanic, while everyone is doing tank power rankings based on potencies.

can't wait for tanks mass pulling everything in the first SB dungeon and then melt on the spot .

scy

For the most part, they'll still be fine when allowed to just tank everything in Deliverance still anyway. It just removes things like the Unchained pull (or Unchained use in general, strictly speaking) and the sheer level of clunk in the gameplay that got added.

Reszo

So I have most of my crafters to level 55 just from doing the moogle quests, what are the other ways i can get them 60?

jorgeton

Yoshida in Dengeki said:
In the 3.X series, there were a lot of actions with which if you made one mistake in your rotation, your DPS would suddenly fall.

The days when your Greased Lightning or Enochian falls off because the boss disappears for 30 seconds, or you accidentally press the wrong button, or you miss the window to refresh because the buff icon timer is too small to see..

I will not miss those days.

But I will miss my Dots. RIP Fracture, Touch of Death and Mutilate. You were too good for this world.

iammeiam

can't wait for tanks mass pulling everything in the first SB dungeon and then melt on the spot .

There's zero indicator this is a thing to worry about, though. Mitigation is stronger across the board, there won't be as many first-time tanks floating around as the HW DRK rush, and there is now literally no reason for healers to not use DPS skills which means every single WHM had better be using Holy for its OP mitigation power because it is arguably the best dungeon mitigation in the game. Plus they're nerfing dungeons overall to be easier than HW and HW stuff could be mass pulled day 1. I'm a little curious about resource starvation possibilities, but I don't think any of the tanks look HW PLD levels of awful.

studyguy

Was talking about that with my BLM considering he's gonna be shitting out god knows how many rounds of high pot spells. Shield Oath all day for dungeons.

I can't imagine enmity will be too big a deal so long as you're geared.

There's zero indicator this is a thing to worry about, though. Mitigation is stronger across the board, there won't be as many first-time tanks floating around as the HW DRK rush, and there is now literally no reason for healers to not use DPS skills which means every single WHM had better be using Holy for its OP mitigation power because it is arguably the best dungeon mitigation in the game. Plus they're nerfing dungeons overall to be easier than HW and HW stuff could be mass pulled day 1. I'm a little curious about resource starvation possibilities, but I don't think any of the tanks look HW PLD levels of awful.

The loss of Bloodbath + Steel Cyclone + overpower spam (with Berserk and Internal release) is huge for mass pulling in dungeons.

Of course in a sense of "game is so easy and healers has so much downtime, who cares" I guess it dosn't matter, but for me tanking is not fun when...you are just a DPS with a huge HP pool.

Is not about how viable it will be, but rather "do I feel like I'm tanking?" for me. Reminds me of that build on GW where you basically stood there and all damage were redirected to enemies, sure it was effective, but not very fun.

For the most part, they'll still be fine when allowed to just tank everything in Deliverance still anyway. It just removes things like the Unchained pull (or Unchained use in general, strictly speaking) and the sheer level of clunk in the gameplay that got added.

Why would you tank on Deliverance stance, and loss your main mitigation tool? In 3.x you can build stacks on Deliverance and switch swiftly for Inner Beast, now with the penalty, you are further gimping yourself in DPS mode...

I know, I know "healers has so much free GCD's who cares bla bla bla", but....ugh.

Edit: Dusk Vigil was tough? in what world?

RPGCrazied

The only thing I hope they do differently in the future is not make dungeons necessary to progress the story. Keep quests for that.

iammeiam

The loss of Bloodbath + Steel Cyclone + overpower spam (with Berserk and Internal release) is huge for mass pulling in dungeons.

Of course in a sense of "game is so easy and healers has so much downtime, who cares" I guess it dosn't matter, but for me tanking is not fun when...you are just a DPS with a huge HP pool.

I was responding to a statement about tanks getting ripped apart doing large pulls in SB, since that really, really does not seem like a concern. WAR is taking a hit in sustainability for sure, but given that early HW was healing newbie DRKs who favored the smash all the cooldowns at once and eat the next pull raw method of tanking there's no real way SB can be markedly worse.

Enmity seems more interesting to me because it was often tight before, and now he entire right side of tanks won't scale with damage over the course of the expansion. I'm sort of expecting a modifier to aggro generation in tank stance to help compensate.

Why would you tank on Deliverance stance, and loss your main mitigation tool? In 3.x you can build stacks on Deliverance and switch swiftly for Inner Beast, now with the penalty, you are further gimping yourself in DPS mode...

I know, I know "healers has so much free GCD's who cares bla bla bla", but....ugh.

Edit: Dusk Vigil was tough? in what world?

In all fairness he and I usually EXDR together and I will refuse to heal him if he doesn't sprint between pulls, let alone sit in Defiance if it's not strictly necessary.

scy

Why would you tank on Deliverance stance, and loss your main mitigation tool? Now you can build stacks on Deliverance and switch swiftly for Inner Beast, now with the penalty, you are further gimping yourself in DPS mode...

"Switch swiftly" -> cost an entire Inner Beast use; your ideal stance dance is at 0 Beast Gauge so it's a 6 GCD wind-up to get back to one and you need to be at 100 meter to be able to switch -> IB without any build-up GCDs.

Edit: Didn't catch that 3.x edit. Yes, in any situation where you ARE forced into swapping to Defiance for actual tank things, it gets messier. Hence my earlier mention of bonus clunk. I think it'll just further incentivize just tanking in one stance in either direction rather than active stance dancing. Unchained and Inner Release sharing a cooldown adds to that whole opportunity cost situation (and DRKs get in on that too in terms of meter and cooldown timer syncing for when The Blackest Night), which makes that other Yoshida quote above kind of funny in context.

And, real talk, you do it because nothing hits hard enough to matter and so far there is zero indication that they'll ever make it matter. They didn't take the approach of tying mitigation skills to tank stances or actual enforced usage of tank stance. We have an excessive amount of cooldowns as is and even if a fight asks for more than we have, the better solution to rotating IBs in to mask cooldown timers is to simply swap tanks and use their cooldowns. Considering enmity was already in a losing battle vs DPS scaling, coupled with the change from .45 STR/VIT scaling to ? STR scaling, that and MT/OT Shirk loops is most likely going to be a thing.

It has little to do with them having free GCDs per se, since most healing can be covered through oGCDs and free sources, and more that tanking in any single game is about getting eHP to survive and that's about it. There's no real gain in surviving hits by a bigger margin in a game like this.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
With PotD XP grinding, is there any reason not to continually reset and just run 51-60 over and over once you're able? It seems like everything beyond gives the same amount of XP.

91-100 gives bonus payout.
If your group is competent and all are at 99/99 clear times of each section shouldn't vary.
51-60 is cancer for casters though, with all those gaze mechanics.

ryseing

Hey I'm thinking of getting FFXIV pack on PSN as it's on sale right know. The problem is I won't be able to play right now. My question is when does the free 30 days starts?

Is it? I was going to buy the complete physical version but if it's only a bit more for digital I'll go that route.

LaneDS

Are there big changes on the horizon for either crafters or gatheres? I have a slew of halfway leveled crafting jobs but remember next to zero about how to efficiently play or level them (this was around HW launch) and am debating if I should just wait until SB is out before looking back in their direction or not.

LordKasual

Banned
Army's Paeon (Repertiore) will not increase damage dealt by 4% per stack. Other aspects (Weaponskill/Spell cast and recast time, auto-attack delay) are correct.

Anyone have the sauce on this? The famitsu link is broken.

This kind of kills alot of my excitement...

RPGCrazied

Hey guys, there is nothing wrong with soloing an MMO. I do it with WoW. And casual players solo play more often then not. It only makes sense to allow the casual players to get to see the story.

I have taught or tried to teach no many fucking people their class in dusk vigil that I hate the place just for that PTSD.

The amount of black mages i met there still using fucking transpose and spamming fire 3 at level 51 was astounding.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hey guys, there is nothing wrong with soloing an MMO. I do it with WoW. And casual players solo play more often then not. It only makes sense to allow the casual players to get to see the story.
What's non-casual about pressing a button to get automatically matched with random people and go through an 30 minute dungeon?
There's barely any risk of dying in there and you don't really have to talk to anyone there. Even if you want to be nice, just "Hey" and "Bye" are enough.

I understand if it was like early WoW dungeons, where you had to be near the entrance and look for a party yourself, but automatic grouping with randoms to do easy dungeons doesn't sound like a problem, even for solo players.

I personally prefer it to single player story battles, which can be annoying because of the NPC stupidity.

Edzi

Eh... It's an MMO. Multiplayer is in the name. You can certainly like it despite the multiplayer aspect, but you can't really expect it to ever cater to you as a solo player. Being a casual MMO player still implies multiplayer, since it's a multiplayer game at its core.

duckroll

None of that has anything to do with dungeons. Playing solo doesn't mean never doing content with other players who are also playing solo. The majority of people playing the game are casual. I think anyone who plays a MMO and actively avoids grouping with anyone at all is more anti-social than casual. Seriously.

Xux

All these fixes to PVP are neat. It might make a decent distraction from the real video game, I guess.

Another roullette to queue on SAM while I MNK through the story is good.

RPGCrazied

You guys don't have to make me feel bad. The reason I don't like grouping is because I'm afraid I'll mess up and get blamed and cursed out for the dungeon failing. I'll admit I'm not that good of a player. I'm not anti social. I do FATES just fine with others and have a grand ole time.

Squishy3

I understand that, but going into a MMO and then complaining about group content existing in a MMO will always be a silly concept to me. WoW also has a story with group content that finishes that story off. Legion's probably got one of the more important cutscenes in the game behind Nighthold.

It's not like XIV dungeons are asking you to be a world first raider, they're pretty easy. The biggest barrier is if you're a DPS you have DPS queue times, but even then I don't think I've ever waited more than 30 minutes for a dungeon as a DPS. (Although I'm sure that'll change with the advent of Red Mage and Samurai) It's also a MMO. Be social. Join a FC or Linkshell or use /shout in a city. Ask if anyone wants to do things with you. It's a 2 second question that could make your life much easier.

You guys don't have to make me feel bad. The reason I don't like grouping is because I'm afraid I'll mess up and get blamed and cursed out for the dungeon failing. I'll admit I'm not that good of a player. I'm not anti social. I do FATES just fine with others and have a grand ole time.
Okay, to make you feel better: People make mistakes. Everyone does it. If you make it known that you're new at the beginning of a dungeon, most people will be helpful and offer advice. Don't know how something works with your class? Ask in here and I'm sure someone will be glad to answer. Despite some of the horror stories people say about how terrible some players are in the game, those are fairly rare occurrences and are on the extreme end of the spectrum. Dungeons in XIV are not that hard, and the ones that are slightly difficult (Cutter's Cry, Dzemael Darkhold, Aurum Vale) are not required for the story whatsoever.

I can't tell you how many times I've messed up a mechanic in endgame raiding content and it kills me/my entire static, but we can laugh about it and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom