• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edzi

You guys don't have to make me feel bad. The reason I don't like grouping is because I'm afraid I'll mess up and get blamed and cursed out for the dungeon failing. I'll admit I'm not that good for a player. I'm not anti social. I do FATES just fine with others and have a grand ole time.

Nobody is trying to make you feel bad. You avoiding groups due to an irrational fear of messing up is a problem in a game like this though, and hoping that the game caters to you for that reason is kinda whack considering what the game is.

In all fairness he and I usually EXDR together and I will refuse to heal him if he doesn't sprint between pulls, let alone sit in Defiance if it's not strictly necessary.

I was thinking more of bosses than actual big pulls in this case.

As a member of the "PUG life" alliance, I normally go Defiance and start stance dancing if I feel safe enough.

You guys don't have to make me feel bad. The reason I don't like grouping is because I'm afraid I'll mess up and get blamed and cursed out for the dungeon failing. I'll admit I'm not that good of a player. I'm not anti social. I do FATES just fine with others and have a grand ole time.

I too get a bit pressured to do well, but most people in this game are reasonable enough to understand that people will make mistakes and we all do.

You are more likely to find team members that will try to help you play better, than "rage quitters". Actually most players are casual in this game and not very good players. I'm one of them.

duckroll

You guys don't have to make me feel bad. The reason I don't like grouping is because I'm afraid I'll mess up and get blamed and cursed out for the dungeon failing. I'll admit I'm not that good of a player. I'm not anti social. I do FATES just fine with others and have a grand ole time.

Dude, I'm the worst dragoon ever. That doesn't stop me from having fun!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Are there big changes on the horizon for either crafters or gatheres? I have a slew of halfway leveled crafting jobs but remember next to zero about how to efficiently play or level them (this was around HW launch) and am debating if I should just wait until SB is out before looking back in their direction or not.
They havent mentioned anything so if they exist we're not gonna find out till patch day.

Is it? I was going to buy the complete physical version but if it's only a bit more for digital I'll go that route.
FWIW, physical is pretty much the same as digital. It comes with a code that lets you register the game to your PSN account and download it. As long as you download the client instead of inserting the disc, it'll act like a digital game.

RPGCrazied

As a member of the "PUG life" alliance, I normally go Defiance and start stance dancing if I feel safe enough.

I too get a bit pressured to do well, but most people in this game are reasonable enough to understand that people will make mistakes and we all do.

You are more likely to find team members that will try to help you play better, than "rage quitters". Actually most players are casual in this game and not very good players. I'm one of them.

Well, I am in the GAF guild. I have had help from people. Specially Drama. Helped with dungeons and fruits for my chocobos.

That is my main. I mainly play DPS. I don't want the extra headache tanking and healing people.

iammeiam

Speaking as probably one of the most blunt and angry seeming people in the thread: Don't sweat DF randoms. If you make a mistake in a dungeon and the entire group wipes, I guarantee you multiple other people screwed up too. All most people expect is that you try; the angriest/snobbiest people in-game tend to not be great either because if they had a really solid grasp of how to play they'd be able to handle a few mistakes.

Literally just try and ask if you're confused, and most people will be cool. It's nerve wracking until you have whole "emperor has no clothes" moment and realize most people aren't worth being scared of.

Dungeon bosses generally don't do enough back-to-back for tankbuster style things stance to make a real difference to me, I guess? It's the grey area where the extra HP/mitigation only really matters to me if it saves a full GCD and for the most part Regen/Tetra or Aspected Benefic/Essential Dignity is what ends up used regardless of stance. The loss of self sustain will mean I don't get to flat out ignore as many high-damage attacks, maybe, but I'd still push for more DPS stance if I'm going to have to spend the GCD healing either way. Leveling dungeons have been the exception to this in general, given they're generally the only things that are released not being tuned for 20 ilvls lower than where we are, but if they're dragging difficulty down there I assume that'll stop.

Savage is a whole other thing, but that tends to be super situational and more moment-by-moment. The WAR changes probably do mean taking more hits in Deliverance if they can hold threat, just because the opportunity cost of losing half their meter twice is probably worse than a healer needing an extra cast.

Kemal86

I got called out in Sohm Al (Hard) the other day for being a shitty dragoon. It sucked. Far as I could tell I was doing a decent job, up to the last boss - I certainly dropped out of my rotation several times during the fire scorpion boss, but hey - the ground is on fire! I think it may have more to do with having the exact minimum iLvL to enter the dungeon.

edit to add: On paper, I enjoyed the additions HW added to Dragoon. But I never got 110% comfortable with the rotation using a controller, which is how I prefer to play.

Sandfox

I kinda want to get into tanking, but it seems like it would be a pain.

All Dragoon's are bad though.
I got called out in Sohm Al (Hard) the other day for being a shitty dragoon. It sucked. Far as I could tell I was doing a decent job, up to the last boss - I certainly dropped out of my rotation several times during the fire scorpion boss, but hey - the ground is on fire! I think it may have more to do with having the exact minimum iLvL to enter the dungeon.

edit to add: On paper, I enjoyed the additions HW added to Dragoon. But I never got 110% comfortable with the rotation using a controller, which is how I prefer to play.
When I did the first Alexander someone called out my DPS(I'm guessing they used a parser) and insulted me despite the fact that we cleared it easily.

Thorgal

i accidentally fell of Titans platform while tanking it too close to the edge and me accidentally hitting my left stick .

Thanks for the daily roulette tip! Lord knows how long it might have been before I tried that out. I'll definitely make sure to do it everyday I play now. I did that and a few side quests before deciding to just do the manor again to try and hit lvl 30 but I accidentally selected roulette again without realizing it so I did an older dungeon, doh! Fortunately, I still was able to level up and continue the story as well as do the final pugilist quest. I thankfully leveled up to 31 upon completion of the final 30 quest so I just baaaaarely hit the mark to continue the story right away haha phew. I'm doing a all the side quests that are in the area of the story to pad myself a bit. Oh snap, I just realized the ring that gives extra xp until level 30 won't help anymore...surprised I hit 31 then ha

I have a question, now that I've hit over level 30 with pugilist, it says I have to get Lancer to 15 to become a Monk. 31 is my character level so going to Lancer shouldn't delay me getting to level 50 at all, right? Also, if I switch to Lancer, I'm back to level one (job level) so my character would get wrecked if I continued the story with it, right? Or would I be ok since my stats stay the same and it's more a lack of skills that I'd be facing? I'm assuming it'd be a bad idea trying to get through the rest of ARR's story as pugilist and that I should try to get Monk asap, yeah? I originally was just getting it because SAM uses the same equipment or armor at least, as Monk but monks probably wear the same stuff as pugilists I imagine.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Thanks for the daily roulette tip! Lord knows how long it might have been before I tried that out. I'll definitely make sure to do it everyday I play now. I did that and a few side quests before deciding to just do the manor again to try and hit lvl 30 but I accidentally selected roulette again without realizing it so I did an older dungeon, doh! Fortunately, I still was able to level up and continue the story as well as do the final pugilist quest. I thankfully leveled up to 31 upon completion of the final 30 quest so I just baaaaarely hit the mark to continue the story right away haha phew. I'm doing a all the side quests that are in the area of the story to pad myself a bit. Oh snap, I just realized the ring that gives extra xp until level 30 won't help anymore...surprised I hit 31 then ha

I have a question, now that I've hit over level 30 with pugilist, it says I have to get Lancer to 15 to become a Monk. 31 is my character level so going to Lancer shouldn't delay me getting to level 50 at all, right? Also, if I switch to Lancer, I'm back to level one so my character would get wrecked if I continued the story with it, right? Or would I be ok since my stats stay the same and it's more a lack of skills that I'd be facing? I'm assuming it'd be a bad idea trying to get through the rest of ARR's story as pugilist and that I should try to get Monk asap, yeah? I originally was just getting it because SAM uses the same equipment or armor at least, as Monk but monks probably wear the same stuff as pugilists I imagine.

There is no over-arching "character level". Your active level is the level of what ever class you are currently playing as. That means in order to unlock monk, you need to level Lancer from 1-15, and those levels are totally separate from and have no impact on your pugilist levels.

However, every class you play other than your current highest level class gets double exp. So keep that in mind before getting too disheartened.

There is no over-arching "character level". Your active level is the level of what ever class you are currently playing as. That means in order to unlock monk, you need to level Lancer from 1-15, and those levels are totally separate from and have no impact on your pugilist levels.

However, every class you play other than your current highest level class gets double exp. So keep that in mind before getting too disheartened.

Oh no! Does that mean I get zero development while leveling Lancer and then when I get Monk, I'll be at level one again and have to level Monk all the way to 50? I just need a class at 50 to get SAM ASAP. That's great that you get more xp with extra classes but it sounds like a massive setback if I things work how I just describe them. Maybe I should just get Pugilist to 50...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well iirc they said something about taking your squadron into dungeon a la Guild Wars so maybe you really can solo dungeons.

Squishy3

Leveling dungeons have been the exception to this in general, given they're generally the only things that are released not being tuned for 20 ilvls lower than where we are, but if they're dragging difficulty down there I assume that'll stop.
The way I interpreted it is they just don't want something like Dusk Vigil was at the start of Stormblood, especially with the new combat changes. I'd expect to see the difficulty start to climb up in the 65 dungeon.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Oh no! Does that mean I get zero development while leveling Lancer and then when I get Monk.

For the most part, yeah. You are only making progress on one class at a time at any given point.

I things work how I just describe them. Maybe I should just get Pugilist to 50...

I wouldn't recommend this. You'll be missing some pretty important tools/abilities from level 30 onwards if you don't take the related advanced job (in the case, monk.)

It's really not that bad. Grab a lance, swap over to lancer, and chain some runs of level 1-10 palace of the dead. You'll hit 15 quicker than you think.

I have a question, now that I've hit over level 30 with pugilist, it says I have to get Lancer to 15 to become a Monk. 31 is my character level so going to Lancer shouldn't delay me getting to level 50 at all, right? Also, if I switch to Lancer, I'm back to level one (job level) so my character would get wrecked if I continued the story with it, right? Or would I be ok since my stats stay the same and it's more a lack of skills that I'd be facing? I'm assuming it'd be a bad idea trying to get through the rest of ARR's story as pugilist and that I should try to get Monk asap, yeah? I originally was just getting it because SAM uses the same equipment or armor at least, as Monk but monks probably wear the same stuff as pugilists I imagine.

It's worth noting that secondary class requirements are going away in Stormblood, so if you're fine with waiting another week you won't have to level Lancer up! (Although leveling to 15 really doesn't take long.)

Anoregon

It's worth noting that secondary class requirements are going away in Stormblood, so if you're fine with waiting another week you won't have to level Lancer up! (Although leveling to 15 really doesn't take long.)

Oh wow I didn't know that.

iammeiam

The way I interpreted it is they just don't want something like Dusk Vigil was at the start of Stormblood, especially with the new combat changes. I'd expect to see the difficulty start to climb up in the 65 dungeon.

That's what he says, but that requires sharing the opinion that Dusk Vigil was difficult, and I can't remember there being a struggle with it at any point in early HW or hearing that it was The Struggle in general. The only dungeon I remember being an issue was The Vault, and that was mostly because 3.0 AST MP on the final boss with tanks that didn't dodge anything was suffering.

scy

Oh no! Does that mean I get zero development while leveling Lancer and then when I get Monk, I'll be at level one again and have to level Monk all the way to 50? I just need a class at 50 to get SAM ASAP. That's great that you get more xp with extra classes but it sounds like a massive setback if I things work how I just describe them. Maybe I should just get Pugilist to 50...

To clarify something, Pugilist goes to Monk still at 30 Pugilist + 15 Lancer. Upon being a Monk, you'll still be whatever level the base class of Pugilist was (e.g., if you unlock Monk at like level 47 on Pugilist, you're still a 47 Monk). The same for Lancer -> Dragoon, Gladiator -> Paladin, Marauder -> Warrior, etc. The classes -> job thing is still basically rooted onto the class as far as your EXP is concerned.

Allard

That's what he says, but that requires sharing the opinion that Dusk Vigil was difficult, and I can't remember there being a struggle with it at any point in early HW or hearing that it was The Struggle in general. The only dungeon I remember being an issue was The Vault, and that was mostly because 3.0 AST MP on the final boss with tanks that didn't dodge anything was suffering.

You were lucky then, the bosses weren't tough but I remember groups wiping to the trash mobs, not even pulling them very far. Main issue was you had some large gaps in item level due 2.55 gear already being 130 alongside lots of people in ilvl 110 gear that wasn't even HQ (and even further some people who didn't bother to get even those). The dungeon seemed almost tuned for everyone being 120 ilvl at least for smooth movement through the dungeon. Thankfully the second dungeon wasn't too bad although saw plenty of wipes to the final boss or lots of people dead due to the meteor mechanic. It got progressively easier till the vault, and Gugual Library was easy except for the final bosses floor mechanic. But Dusk Vigil mob damage tuning was strong, especially for tanks, they hit like trucks if you weren't geared with at least 115HQ gear you got from doing the quests. Not that I minded that, I liked it being somewhat harder but the item level gap issue is a real thing in that first dungeon so it might be for the best its tuned a bit lower.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Hey guys, there is nothing wrong with soloing an MMO. I do it with WoW. And casual players solo play more often then not. It only makes sense to allow the casual players to get to see the story.

No, it's pretty much everything wrong with MMO.

When asked for more challenging party content they respond with letting you take AI bots into dungeons instead that's a huge red flag that's never going away from this game.

"Multiplayer only" is right there on the cover.
I don't even need to go again into how much an exercise in futility it is to make a game work in an online space and then let you play completely alone through as much of it as possible.

I don't mean to demean your possible selfconfidence issues but this just can't be that kind of game. It's honestly kind of baffling that people come into this game and expect it to shower the player with movies at no effort.

The game needs MORE party content. The game needs the story to be centered MORE around a party of players. Not less. That's the strength of the genre. If you want a linear, safe experience, there's at least 13 other Final Fantasies out there.

demonkaze

So I pre-ordered the PS4 version in the uk with Simplygames.com and I've yet to receive a code even though I've been charged. Does anyone know if i'll receive a code or not?

Guess Who

Banned

Dusk Vigil wasn't/isn't hard, it's just a fucking drag.

I definitely remember people having trouble with Sohm Al and The Aery, though.

So my gatherers have been at level 60 for over a year now, but I still never figured out how to get 450 collectability with my current gear. I have about 585 GP and need to boost it with food. But even then, I still can't get 450 even with the recommended rotations online. And I don't want to materia meld my current gear and accessories cause I don't know if I'm gonna be upgrading them later, especially with Stormblood on the way.

Are there any up to date guides on what to do as a fresh 60 gatherer (and possibly soon crafter) without any level 60 gear? What should I be spending my scripts on? (getting them from Zhloe's deliveries)

studyguy

Fresh 60 gatherer guide > Use favor system and turn in to Alipoh for blue scripts, gear up. Turn those script gear into augmented with red scripts.

I mean that's basically it. That will gear both left and right side given enough time.

iammeiam

The game gets pushed a lot as a true Final Fantasy, must play, even if you don't like MMOs. It's baked enough into the sales pitch that the entire game slants heavily solo. If them making solo instances would free them up to make the group stuff more involved, instead of tuned assuming half the group is playing it like a solo game, there could be worse things.

It won't happen, but the game as-is straddles the JRPG/MMO line in an odd way that kind of works but is also kind of awkward.

You were lucky then, the bosses weren't tough but I remember groups wiping to the trash mobs, not even pulling them very far. Main issue was you had some large gaps in item level due 2.55 gear already being 130 alongside lots of people in ilvl 110 gear that wasn't even HQ (and even further some people who didn't bother to get even those). The dungeon seemed almost tuned for everyone being 120 ilvl at least for smooth movement through the dungeon. Thankfully the second dungeon wasn't too bad although saw plenty of wipes to the final boss or lots of people dead due to the meteor mechanic. It got progressively easier till the vault, and Gugual Library was easy except for the final bosses floor mechanic. But Dusk Vigil mob damage tuning was strong, especially for tanks, they hit like trucks if you weren't geared with at least 115HQ gear you got from doing the quests. Not that I minded that, I liked it being somewhat harder but the item level gap issue is a real thing in that first dungeon so it might be for the best its tuned a bit lower.

It's just weird because I remember hearing about The Vault and Bismarck EX being gigantic problems, but the leveling dungeons never seemed to get much complaint and I did a lot of leveling early on (like... 5 60s in the first 6 weeks I think?) and got to spend a lot of time healing undergeared DRKs in STR accessories through DV and it felt more involved than usual but it generally wasn't abnormally difficult to keep up. Harder than EXDR, sure, but if they're bumping everything down to EXDR level I'll end up being disappointed.

Mostly because I liked that the leveling dungeons had actual mechanics--I loved sprint around picking up tethers during that one Aery boss, or demanding everyone leave the ice sprites alone so I could do a lap and watch them suicide.

Luminaire

Have some confidence. You've held your own this long. If you mess up, apologize and learn from mistakes. If you're afraid you'll mess up, study up so you know what's coming. There's a lot you can do, but know this - as a dps, a dungeon failing will not be your fault unless you actively do not participate. You shouldn't go into a dungeon being afraid you'll mess up, you should go in wanting to learn, wanting to try and practice new things, and wanting to help the group. After all, it's a group effort. Be more positive! Anxiety can only hold you down for so long.

Plenty of people tried to make you feel better, but Imma one up all of them.

I wiped a matched group on the first pull of Hauke Manor (regular, not even hard) when leveling WHM. For some reason my brain went "paying attention to tank's HP? ain't no body got time for that"

Reknoc

Not everyone playing FFXIV is an especially good person, but if randos can put up with my healing during a dungeon then I don't think you need to worry too much about other people.

Vic_Viper

So what are the requirements to unlock Samurai and Red Mage? Haven't played in a few months and my highest character is like 52-54. Do I need to hit 60?

Allard

So what are the requirements to unlock Samurai and Red Mage? Haven't played in a few months and my highest character is like 52-54. Do I need to hit 60?

Supposedly only being lvl 50 is enough to get Samurai and Red Mage especially since class requirements appear to be going away. Don't know if you need to be at a specific MSQ either but I would guess finishing Ultima fight in ARR would be a likely requirement.

Dusk Vigil wasn't/isn't hard, it's just a fucking drag.

I definitely remember people having trouble with Sohm Al and The Aery, though.

Dusk Vigil is a huge joke which makes the statement by Yoshi that is was hard beyond stupid. The only tough dungeons were Aery and Vault pre nerf. The rest was all ok but yeah Sohm Al was a little difficult when you first got in it because of all the poison stacks.

Sylas

I've had to bail out of a Baelsar's Wall because everyone save me was at the bare minimum ilvl and it was a massive headache. The first boss took a solid 8 minutes to kill and I was 99% certain that we weren't gonna do the mechanics for the last boss with that kind of DPS.

Baelsar and Sohm Al are made way, way, way too annoying if your party is at the minimum because most of the boss mechanics suck.

Foxxsoxx

So anyone else wish they would adopt the treasure system Mist of Pandaria had in Wow where you could find treasures out in the world? That was really cool...

And mythic + dungeons... they should really do that... just make rewards glamour or materials since the loot system doesn't jive like WoWs does.

K-Marx

Banned
Would anyone want to get together and attempt a floor 200 run of PoTD? That's the only content I've yet to do and would like to finish it before SB hits.

I'm 99/99 and I can go tank, ranged dps, or melee dps.

Luminaire

So anyone else wish they would adopt the treasure system Mist of Pandaria had in Wow where you could find treasures out in the world? That was really cool...

And mythic + dungeons... they should really do that... just make rewards glamour or materials since the loot system doesn't jive like WoWs does.
Isn't that what peistskin maps and aquapolis do?

iammeiam

WoW treasures tend d to be more specific items in defined places, not chests with random contents. Archaeology is a lot more like maps, I think.

Speaking of maps, realistically how many people do you need to do the "best" maps these days? I forget what they're called, but the ones that recommend eight people to do.

The maps themselves I think are probably on soloable now, but most of the good stuff is in Aquapolis. Aquapolis levelsyncs you to i180, so it can't be overgeared. WAR+SCH is enough for Aqua; I don't think it's soloable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom