• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Im all for anything fun, but I know it still Square so they'll have something that sets the game apart. As long as theres a focus on story and more great music tracks/classic FF monsters and new ones added, i'm good.

Of course the day jumping is implemented, some people are gonna flip out :p

Yuripaw

Banned
Can anyone give me an update on what's happened in FFXIV with weapon/armor/item bartering? One of the things I hated when I gave the game a try, was the lack of it even telling you how to get any more gear! I know the idea was to craft stuff, but eh...wasn't a big fan.

Have they, or are they introducing something similar to the Auction house from FFXI?

Coldsnap

just wards mang, wards are the future of auction houses *laugh*

side note with wards every damn ward was full this morning, super annoying because I had some stuff I needed to sell. Took me like 30 mins going to every ward to check if it was full.

Teknoman

Coldsnap said:
just wards mang, wards are the future of auction houses *laugh*

side note with wards every damn ward was full this morning, super annoying because I had some stuff I needed to sell. Took me like 30 mins going to every ward to check if it was full.

I dunno if thats a good thing or bad thing :p

Teknoman

Originally Posted by Naoki_Yoshida
I believe it is as you all have pointed out. You all have the right to choose.
Honestly, I think the amount of instanced dungeons and instanced raids are severely lacking in number. It's pretty much the same as taking the baton and running with it from an abnormal state of there being no quests at all. I'm not saying that I want you all to sympathize.

I believe it was necessary to have at least 4 instanced dungeons for leveling and about 3 raid dungeons for rank 50 players prepared at the time of launch. I think that in that case it would be natural that there would have been a choice of content depending on the player's needs, but currently that choice has not been made available to you all. However, as long as operation continues, taking the first steps toward change is necessary. While ideally we will be prepping the necessary numbers, compiling, and then implementing them, just as I have mentioned numerous times, the fact that it will take so long really sucks. I really want to hurry up and break through this state of nothing.

We will continue to implement raids and instanced dungeons from now on, so this is by no means the end. Raid dungeons are not the entire focus when it comes to upcoming content; I think it is just an all-inclusive term for something that should be present in numbers, so please don't think of the first installment of raid dungeons coming in 1.18 as simply a replacement for guildleves.

The reason why there are various limitations is due to the problems with instance occupation and content occupation. I have every intention of wanting to avoid making people wait in line for instances that are occupied by parties that do not meet the number of members or rank to be able to clear a dungeon.

Try playing it and if there are a lot of people saying they want to try the battles with smaller groups of people, it won't be too hard to ease up on dungeon-related requirements. I will be keeping an eye on everyone's comments and if necessary I will implement a mini-patch to ease up on the restrictions.

Munba

Teknoman said:
I believe it was necessary to have at least 4 instanced dungeons for leveling and about 3 raid dungeons for rank 50 players prepared at the time of launch. I think that in that case it would be natural that there would have been a choice of content depending on the player's needs, but currently that choice has not been made available to you all. However, as long as operation continues, taking the first steps toward change is necessary. While ideally we will be prepping the necessary numbers, compiling, and then implementing them, just as I have mentioned numerous times, the fact that it will take so long really sucks. I really want to hurry up and break through this state of nothing.

This guy had to be the director, with Tanaka, from the beginning.. seriously.

In any case, i presume the ps3 version will be out when there'll be 4-6 dungeons at least. So i say, march 2012?

edit:
Confirmed choco/airship in 1.19, yay:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...JP-to-English)?p=215980&viewfull=1#post215980

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
New Enemity post.

Patch 1.18 is scheduled to usher in large-scale changes to enmity calculation, which will be accompanied by the introduction of a new UI element displaying enemy enmity.

Changes to Enmity Calculation
Enmity is the element of the game that governs the target of an enemy’s hostility. Performing certain actions increases an enemy’s enmity towards you; the enemy will attempt to attack the player or NPC who has generated the highest amount of enmity. Skillful control of enmity forms the cornerstone of effective partying.

The current method of enmity calculation has been deemed excessively complicated, rendering the employment of battle strategies problematic. This was made worse by having no way of checking the constantly changing enmity values. Patch 1.18 will see the simplification of the enmity system to one based on accumulated actions. Furthermore, a new UI element will be introduced that allows players to see their foes’ enmity levels at all times, making enmity control a far more tangible affair.

Relationship Between Actions and Enmity
Actions that generate enmity can be divided into two main categories: direct and indirect. The former refers to actions that inflict damage or enfeebling status effects upon a foe, while the latter encompasses those that heal or fortify an ally. Different actions will increase enmity to varying extents, with the strength of the delivery (such as damage dealt or HP restored) also playing a part in the calculation. Enmity will be reset for players who are KO’d or otherwise incapacitated from battle for a certain period of time.

Making Enmity Visible
In order to allow enmity control to be readily incorporated into battle strategy, an icon will be implemented which displays an enemy's enmity. This icon will appear to the left of the enemy’s HP gauge, and through a color scheme will inform players of their foe’s enmity level and behavior.

No icon The enemy is not taking action against you.
Green, orange, or red icon The enemy is taking action against you. Enmity level is indicated from low to high in the order of green, orange, and red, indicating a progressively greater likelihood that the enemy will target you.
Blinking red icon You are incurring the highest level of enmity among targets engaging the enemy and are being targeted.
Improvements to the enmity system are scheduled to continue in patch 1.19 and beyond. Abilities that affect enmity will also be subject to adjustments.

Ravidrath

I kind of feel like the enmity icon is a kludge...? But maybe it's a good one.

I'm also surprised that the previous enmity system was called "too complicated." It just didn't seem to work at all, which would take an impressive amount of overdesign and a depressing lack of testing to come up with.

Also, glad to see that Chocobos and Airships are coming soon. As someone who will likely be rerolling on the GAF server if/when I come back, I do have some concerns it'll be expensive for me to use them because I won't have a gross oversupply of gil to draw on.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I was the GM.

mFLHF.jpg

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Well, Yoshi-P wrote that the PS3 version will be released after some updates so that it will be version that they wanted to make in the first place. No dates, though, but it's at least good to know it hasn't been scrapped.

Ravidrath

He made it sound like the engine was getting a major update for the PS3 version...

I'm actually wondering if they're switching things to a more dynamic, streaming world system, since they're also talking about changing the maps.

Caerith

The engine is getting a major update period. The devs have hinted that the world map is going to be remade (so Thanalan, for instance, is not just the same old desert for 1-50), but given no timeline for when except that it'll be after 1.19 (jobs and juryrigged airship). 1.20 seems like it'll be the first sign of what FFXIV is going to end up like, but that won't be here until September at the earliest.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Dega said:
I hope you get banned.

Renta
The day I become a mod, I will ban myself.

Unknown Soldier said:
Pffft. Your first ban is like a rite of passage at The NeoGAF!

Junior bans are permas. Wait until you're a Member to get your first!
rofl, you have a tag now.

Caerith

Well it's not like I got banned from Lodestone, despite my Tanaka fanfic. I just stopped logging in when all the discussions went full circle.

Is Lindblum the unofficial GAF world? What's XIV-GAF's plan for the eventual relaunch: stick with the characters you've grinded away at, or make a fresh start with fresh content?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Caerith said:
Well it's not like I got banned from Lodestone, despite my Tanaka fanfic. I just stopped logging in when all the discussions went full circle.

Is Lindblum the unofficial GAF world? What's XIV-GAF's plan for the eventual relaunch: stick with the characters you've grinded away at, or make a fresh start with fresh content?
or being too busy playing Diablo III.

But uh, like hell I'm rerolling. I doubt many others would too.

Gromph

Staff Member
Caerith said:

I can migrate if the offer that service, but i'm not going to reroll, also i will be with Renta playing DIII :D

Thoraxes

Caerith said:

I'll probably re-roll with GAF onto wherever everyone is. I had people who I started with, but everyone else stopped, and having no people didn't make it as fun for me.

Caerith

I'll re-roll. I don't see them charging until 1.30, and by then the game should be pretty radically different from what it was when I quit months ago to boredom and having better things to clear off my backloggery. Why would I start a game where I've already missed half the content because I did a lot of grinding in the alpha release? I'd rather just start over and play a game that's good from level 1 all the way up.

And if the final commercial release isn't that different from what the game currently is, well, let's see how Tera, ToR, or Torchlight turn out.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Gromph said:
If i read well, with maybe +1-2 days of delay.
True, but it's good that we at least have some kind of a release window. I was afraid that this patch may come in late august.

No re-rolling for me. I found it a chore to get where I am at and I haven't even maxed out any of my classes yet. I have the utmost respect and pity for the rank 50
s in our guild.

Coldsnap

God this game runs like shit lol
I use to not really know how this game ran but now that I'm a computer nerd wtf. I can run witcher 2 with everything at the highest and my computer cruises right along with no heat. But once i launch this game fullscreen at 1680 my computer gets so so hot. With a 570 twin frozr II and a i5 2500k you would think id be able to be cruising on this game.

Coldsnap said:
I use to not really know how this game ran but now that I'm a computer nerd wtf. I can run witcher 2 with everything at the highest and my computer cruises right along with no heat. But once i launch this game fullscreen at 1680 my computer gets so so hot. With a 570 twin frozr II and a i5 2500k you would think id be able to be cruising on this game.
Make sure your rendering settings are at standard. If it is above that then you are needlessly rendering the game at higher resolution than your screen.

Ravidrath

Whenever I do decide to come back, I'll likely be rerolling on Lindblum. My max is... Rank 21, I think?

Not sure when that'll be, exactly... probably when some change sounds significant enough to pique my interest and my backlog allows it.

scotcheggz

Coldsnap said:

Yeh there's something fishy with your settings here, I have that exact setup and run it at 1920x1080, 16xsomesortofAA etc. I can even use DOF and AO, though I turn AO off, since I'd rather have 60FPS everywhere and sometimes in Uldah it drops to I guess 30+/- with AO on.

I don't have my PC in front of me at the moment, but is it general drawing quality that goes "8 (normal), 9, 10 (highest)"? Something like that. I keep that one at 8, going higher nails my PC, I think I read that it starts rendering it at higher resolutions above 8.

It uses Supersampling above 8, which is an incredible way to crush even the fastest machines.

The game doesn't really work with SLI either, when I moved from a single GTX 470 to two of them, I saw quite literally no difference in performance. Nvidia does have an SLI profile for the game, but even on a single GTX 470 it was heavily CPU-bound due to it's PS3-centric engine design and so adding another one didn't do anything.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
scotcheggz said:
Yeh there's something fishy with your settings here, I have that exact setup and run it at 1920x1080, 16xsomesortofAA etc. I can even use DOF and AO, though I turn AO off, since I'd rather have 60FPS everywhere and sometimes in Uldah it drops to I guess 30+/- with AO on.

I don't have my PC in front of me at the moment, but is it general drawing quality that goes "8 (normal), 9, 10 (highest)"? Something like that. I keep that one at 8, going higher nails my PC, I think I read that it starts rendering it at higher resolutions above 8.
Thank you thank you thank you. I lowered drawing quality and bg drawing quality to standard and the game is so much smoother now, even on a higher resolution (got a Core2Quad@2.84 and a 470GTX).
Too bad the gameplay still sucks though.

Edit:
The Companies page just got an update. Including a video, yay!

Gromph

Staff Member
Munba said:
My only complaint is the missing of new mob models. :/

Yeah, but well a very well video.

Watching again... :D

Munba

About new music tracks, i noticed there are 2 tracks not present in the entire ost. They are variants of the track we hear during the 'exploration/walking' part (that one is similar to 'musica machina' in ff5). So Uematsu (or maybe Mizuta?) composed new tracks for the occasion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom