• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Hmm, video is kinda underwhelming to me.

I guess you would have to try it to appreciate the battle changes. The dungeon looks like all the same enemies you run into but now in a cave with teleporters. I thought the last boss(?) would be something different though but it was just a stupid ogre.. we've killed ogres before...

Hope you guys have fun with it though. :D

Coldsnap

Dunno how I feel. I quit this morning again anyways.

stfu Dega you're coming with us, even if I have to drag you into that sex dungeon.

Zabian

Neo Member
Former player Zabian Zarad here. Been lurking in this thread since launch (recently Neogaf validated) and following every development.

This patch's additions might be enough to make me login and check it out, I'm curious about punching things as a archer. I'll miss my RNG knives from FFXI though, which I think would make a bit more sense.

Some overarching plot reasons to encourage character advancement would really help me out motivation-wise in wanting to play on a regular basis. Hopefully this Grand Companies of Eorzea thing turns out to be pretty interesting. Unlocking plot is one of the things that kept me playing FFXI from close to launch til early Treasure of Aht Urghan.

That, coupled with party play that require a bit of thought as opposed to attack spam will really help the game IMO.

Damn King Rat, mult. 50s I guess you started playing more.

Happy you're enjoying TERA Unknown. I wish it would get an English launch. I'm pretty curious, but not curious enough to use a third party to get Korean SS# so I can play.

Renta, I hope your Mega Posts on FFXIV forums are helping shape the game.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Teknoman said:
I dont think those were teleporters. That was just a special wipe effect for the video to move to another scene.

You saying there are no teleporters? What an outrage! I was cool with the game until this! Shittttt

Hey Zabi

I am contemplating moving to Japan in a few months, I wonder how that would affect me trying to play this game. Any expats or natives willing to give me the low down?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
rofl @ that party wipe. That's probably gonna happen to us on our first time, too.

Personally, I would say that I don't really need them to spend time on making the video all fancy. Just show us more stuff, haha.

Hi Zabian! Welcome to GAF, don't get banned!
Zabian said:
Renta, I hope your Mega Posts on FFXIV forums are helping shape the game.
I hope so too. I wonder how much they really consider the posts of the users, though. Sometimes it feels as if there's not much point to giant detailed essays about the flaws of this game and their potential fixes.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
staticneuron said:
I am contemplating moving to Japan in a few months, I wonder how that would affect me trying to play this game. Any expats or natives willing to give me the low down?
Well, you'll probably have lower ping.

Teknoman

Seems like they took a page from Monster Hunter as far as eco system intros go. The music sounds like that...8-bit ish electronic theme...but with actual instruments?

EDIT: What job is abbreviated Exc?

jelNea.jpg

Unless...Marauder's first job is Executioner (Exc)?

Dun dunn dunnnn...

Also lol looks like there might have been a teleporter...or two in there. Either that or some gate switch. Just realized that Ogres in XIV are actually:

Phunbaba.PNG

Zabian

Neo Member
staticneuron said:

As a former player of FFXI while living in Japan for a year I can say it was interesting. I played at a local Net Cafe for a little while I was still piggybacking unrestricted WiFi off my neighbors before I got my own internet. My best memory of playing the FFXI Japanese client was getting the counter girl to type "Viper Bite" in hiragana (Japanese characters) into my game macro so I could play my job effectively.

A couple downsides were that the time change made things difficult to coordinate with my USA-based linkshell, and playing FFXI detracted from me exploring the country more. (Not that I was King Behemoth camping or anything.)

With FFXIV being less hardcore focused I don't think you'd have a lot of issues. I'm not sure about being able to log on on a Japanese client with another countries' logon in a Net Cafe as was possible with FFXI though.

Yo Dega.

Rat I hope one of those 50s is Culinarian. I'd Lodestone-stalk you but it's down. Never
know when I'll need an HQ egg.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Zabian said:
I'm not sure about being able to log on on a Japanese client with another countries' logon in a Net Cafe as was possible with FFXI though.
FFXIV has only one client and you can change the language in the settings menu. I switch from Japanese to English language sometimes and there are no problems.

musicjunky

Neo Member
Everyone stopped playing, and those that didn't are in different shells.
This is Cotton Mouth btw, finally got this account activated.
Also, Ishtori Reni is back, was in a boat accident o_O;

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
musicjunky said:
Oh shit, it's Cotton! :D

Oh shit, Ish was in an accident? :(

Teknoman

staticneuron said:
It's awesome that despite the state of the game, there are still those here who still keep an ear to the ground.

Of course. Gotta have my Eorzean adventures and i'm holding S-E to it until they get it right...or until something better comes along :p

But i'm still thinking Yoshi can pull it off plus modernization.

Rentahamster said:
I hope so too. I wonder how much they really consider the posts of the users, though. Sometimes it feels as if there's not much point to giant detailed essays about the flaws of this game and their potential fixes.

There isn't. The dev team know damn well what the flaws of the game are at this point. The problem is they are trying to essentially retrofit an entirely new game on top of the old one, while it's still live, and they are doing it with a live team which wasn't ever meant to develop a new game almost from scratch. The glacial pace of development should be a hint to all humans that the resources Squenix are now committing to it are minimal. The resources would probably be zero and the game would be shut down if they hadn't foolishly named it Final Fantasy XIV and therefore it has to operate forever in some capacity since it's a "mainline" numbered game and the shame of shutting it down is unfathomable to Squenix.

Oh, and wow, people from the LS are finally getting their accounts activated. I bet they probably registered back when the game launched and it's taken this long for the activation. o.o

Hi Zab! I still remember our little walk to Mor Dhona when we were both like level 16. Good times.

Hi Cotton! Is it really goddamned hot in Texas right now? :3

Hi Reni! Boat...accident? o_O

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
staticneuron said:
It's awesome that despite the state of the game, there are still those here who still keep an ear to the ground.
I've bought a CE and want it to become a playable mmo.

Kaper

Just bought FFXIV after promising a friend that I'd play with him this summer, and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. I just love the relaxed atmosphere of xi and xiv and the icing on the cake is that xiv isn't as hardcore (yet?). I tried leveling lancer, but I need new gear badly so I do no damage. :/ Switched to archer today and "holy shit" is all I have to say. I'm almost level 20 and still using the level 1 bow because the Uldahn market has bows marked waaaay up right now, but I'm absolutely dominating anything I target, it's a blast.

Guildleves are really fun and a lot more fun than doing quests in WoW or its clones. I just wish SE would make more wards or increase the number of retainers in each because I can't make any money for the gear I desperately need since the wards are always full. It hurts when I'm shopping and I see a retainer just chillin' in a ward without anything in their bazaar.

XIV definitely gets +nostalgia points from ffxi from me :)

Coldsnap

musicjunky said:

HEY CM! (King Lala)

Kaper said:
Just bought FFXIV after promising a friend that I'd play with him this summer, and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. I just love the relaxed atmosphere of xi and xiv and the icing on the cake is that xiv isn't as hardcore (yet?). I tried leveling lancer, but I need new gear badly so I do no damage. :/ Switched to archer today and "holy shit" is all I have to say. I'm almost level 20 and still using the level 1 bow because the Uldahn market has bows marked waaaay up right now, but I'm absolutely dominating anything I target, it's a blast.

Guildleves are really fun and a lot more fun than doing quests in WoW or its clones. I just wish SE would make more wards or increase the number of retainers in each because I can't make any money for the gear I desperately need since the wards are always full. It hurts when I'm shopping and I see a retainer just chillin' in a ward without anything in their bazaar.

XIV definitely gets +nostalgia points from ffxi from me :)

Did you make a character on our server? If so whats your name?

Kaper

Coldsnap said:
Did you make a character on our server? If so whats your name?

It totally slipped my mind to check what server GAF was on, but I doubt my friend would want to start a new character since he is heavily rooted on his server. I'm Raahi Laa on Mysidia.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
musicjunky said:

CM! :D

Ish =\ No wonder she hasn't been on MSN in a long time. I had worried something had happened.

Coldsnap

They have been making this new dungeon to sound really hard. Red Dot is going to need to bring their A game and players. No way in hell am I getting stuck on a Matriarch C squad or something. ONLY THE BEST!

frequency

I just got this in the mail.

I was pretty big into FFXI years ago, and recently tried to get into it again, but it's just too "hardcore" for my current lifestyle.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before. I went back a number of pages and couldn't find anything...

The GAF guild sounds like it's not very active outside a few players nowadays, but how is the server? I dislike empty MMOs.
I hear Besaid and Selbina are pretty active, but I would prefer to be where the rest of GAF is... just cause.

Is Ul'dah really the place to be for a more social experience? I find that place to be the most visually unappealing.

And how are the magic jobs in this game? Is MP management hard? I remember when I played FFXI I had to rest and switch equipment between heals to keep my MP up. Would I have to switch in and out of combat mode to regenerate MP here?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
frequency said:
The GAF guild sounds like it's not very active outside a few players nowadays, but how is the server? I dislike empty MMOs.
I hear Besaid and Selbina are pretty active, but I would prefer to be where the rest of GAF is... just cause.
All the servers are pretty empty. Some more than others. No one knows what the numbers are anymore. Lindblum's not as bad as some of the other ones. Making alts is free, so you may as well try to make a bunch on different servers to get a feel for the populations.

frequency said:
Is Ul'dah really the place to be for a more social experience? I find that place to be the most visually unappealing.
Back at launch when there used to be people playing the game, all 3 cities were full. However, that has changed over time. Everyone comes to Uldah to have some sense of community, and the other two towns are barren.

If you want a detailed analysis of why everyone comes to Uldah, I wrote an essay about that here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...-Depopulation-in-Limsa-Grid-and-How-to-Fix-It

frequency said:
And how are the magic jobs in this game? Is MP management hard? I remember when I played FFXI I had to rest and switch equipment between heals to keep my MP up. Would I have to switch in and out of combat mode to regenerate MP here?
MP management is not hard (some say it's too easy). I hardly ever have to switch out of combat mode to get more MP, thanks to various MP regeneration skills.

gatti-man

Nakazato said:
Im hoping for impressions from Renta a few days after 1.18. Wish i could be there for day one :(

Me too. Thank you guys for keeping the flame alive. Ive been reading since day 1 but couldnt post until recently.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The girl rep posts an interview with Yoshida along with pics, and then someone makes a thread proclaiming her hotness. It just got deleted.

Final Fantasy players = weirdos confirmed.

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:
The girl rep posts an interview with Yoshida along with pics, and then someone makes a thread proclaiming her hotness. It just got deleted.

Final Fantasy players = weirdos confirmed.

She's kinda cute, but yeah that was going to happen the minute it was posted. The whole women+internet rule lol.

Anyway interview + Yoshida's lack of sleep.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/16129-The-Community-Teams-interview-Yoshida-in-Japan!

Played this game for like four hours tonight and am wondering something. Is crafting an absolute necessity if you want to get by? Or can you make enough gil from other stuff and just buy what you need from the Market Wards? I started tinkering around with weaving and am kind of overwhelmed beyond the basic recipes.

Also enjoying myself too. THM seems interesting enough to play so far. Most of all I am amazed at how nice this game looks. Especially the little details in the guilds. Such as npc stirring a cauldron or a blacksmith hammering on the anvil, etc. It certainly is a feast for the eyes.

Allard

GrumpyAlien said:
Played this game for like four hours tonight and am wondering something. Is crafting an absolute necessity if you want to get by? Or can you make enough gil from other stuff and just buy what you need from the Market Wards? I started tinkering around with weaving and am kind of overwhelmed beyond the basic recipes.

Also enjoying myself too. THM seems interesting enough to play so far. Most of all I am amazed at how nice this game looks. Especially the little details in the guilds. Such as npc stirring a cauldron or a blacksmith hammering on the anvil, etc. It certainly is a feast for the eyes.

Crafting is undergoing a recipe overhaul that will be implemented in Patch 1.19. For reference Patch 1.18 is the one coming out next week. The overhaul will streamline recipes lvl 1-20 to make them not need other crafting disciplines to make finished products. They are also adding a 'materia' system to crafting for end game/mid game. You don't need to craft right now, especially if you have some friends that are willing to help repair. Do Guild Leves enough and you will get all the gil you will need till cap for gear and such. Also be prepared next week for your combat system to change a bit :p. They are rebalancing the combat around implementation of an auto-attack system as well as balancing the abilities/spells in game and uploading new animations with them.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
GrumpyAlien said:

Nah, you don't really need to craft the stuff for yourself, especially since the recipes are still messed up and you need to have a high level crafter (or even a few if you don't want to buy lots and lots of ingredients) to make low level stuff. This will hopefully be changed in 1.19.

Allard said:
Crafting is undergoing a recipe overhaul that will be implemented in Patch 1.19. For reference Patch 1.18 is the one coming out next week. The overhaul will streamline recipes lvl 1-20 to make them not need other crafting disciplines to make finished products. They are also adding a 'materia' system to crafting for end game/mid game. You don't need to craft right now, especially if you have some friends that are willing to help repair. Do Guild Leves enough and you will get all the gil you will need till cap for gear and such. Also be prepared next week for your combat system to change a bit :p. They are rebalancing the combat around implementation of an auto-attack system as well as balancing the abilities/spells in game and uploading new animations with them.

Thanks for the info. Gonna pretty much steer clear of crafting until that patch you mentioned gets implemented. I noticed that the leves (10~) are starting to give quite a bit more gil. Way more than the 300 or so gil I was getting from the closest camp leves. So I imagine I will get by for at least these earlier levels.

I can't wait for 1.18. Reading Yoshida's letters has me thinking quite a lot is getting done. I have pretty high hopes for them turning it into something great.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
GrumpyAlien said:
Thanks for the info. Gonna pretty much steer clear of crafting until that patch you mentioned gets implemented. I noticed that the leves (10~) are starting to give quite a bit more gil. Way more than the 300 or so gil I was getting from the closest camp leves. So I imagine I will get by for at least these earlier levels.

I can't wait for 1.18. Reading Yoshida's letters has me thinking quite a lot is getting done. I have pretty high hopes for them turning it into something great.
Just craft via the local leves. They give you the mats for free. It'll allow you to get more items/shards/gil.

The leatherworking and goldsmithing leves are particularly profitable since stuff like buffalo leather, toad skin, silver ingots still sell well.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Keiician said:
This is the worst interview to date, information-wise. Do not like :<
When they announced that they were making a trip to Japan, they explicitly mentioned that this was more of a fluff piece than a hard info interview, so my expectations weren't high regarding new info.

Munba

About pets and mounts:

This seems like a good spot to drop some information that we recently heard from Yoshida... He mentioned that the dev. team is currently thinking about two different approaches.

The first is pet-related content where players can raise chocobos and other mounts that anyone can ride. The second idea is centered around pets that can only be utilized by specific jobs.

However, we won't be picking just one concept to implement. Instead we will be looking into the specifications so that we can implement both. However, as we are not yet at the stage where we can disclose when the implementation timing will be. We hope that the current chocobo implementation planned for 1.19 will hold you all over in the meantime.

And yay for Goblin Balloon Brigade :D I just can see it in the sky, one day lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom