• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Munba said:
About pets and mounts:

And yay for Goblin Balloon Brigade :D I just can see it in the sky, one day lol.

It would be cool if they offered both. Animals that can be rented by anyone for a reasonable price and a "Beast Tamer" type of job where you can find/raise choco's and other creatures on your own.

frequency

I played this game for the first time a whole lot last night.

I absolutely loved it. I know they're changing the combat next week, but I found it to be very satisfying (only played solo). Lack of auto attack was my only big complaint, and that's getting fixed in 1.18, so yay!
I did a little bit of mining. I don't really understand the mining mini-game thing, but I liked that it was more than just click + loot that other MMOs do. I'm sure I'll hate it when I have to get a bunch of ore and this process takes forever.

This is the only MMO, besides FFXI, where the story is actually interesting to me. I started in Ul'dah and finished the first quest line. I can't wait to see what happens next. Seems to be a lot of political intrigue. Reminds me a bit of San d'Oria.

I might make a new character for the other cities to see their stories. I'm most visually attracted by Limsa Lominsa. I've always loved oceans. I might just put up with it being empty if the story is good enough. Ul'dah had an interesting plot, but there's too much running around indoors in hallways and stuff. I feel like I never get to see the sun.

The jobs are weird. I was expecting something closer to FFXI, but it seems they're kind of a mix of different FFXI jobs. I have no idea what I want to be in the long run. I wanted to play a WHM again, but I neither of the magic classes seems to be that.

I used my PS3 controller and it works great. My only problem is trying to target something specific when there's a lot of target-able things around. I'll probably just have to switch to my mouse real quick for those cases.

The game stutters in town for me... which is a shame since I'll have to turn some settings down. It looks great.

I can't wait to play some more tonight. I'll need to look for a socially active Linkshell at some point too. I see people, but this game is so quiet. I imagine, besides the lack of players, it's like FFXI was where shouts were almost always just people trying to sell or were looking for a party - unlike other MMOs where people talk about the most random things in the shouts/global chats.

I had a question.
I hit a button on my controller accidentally at some point in combat. It kind of locked me into some other mode. I mean, it was telling me I couldn't perform a skill or something. I have no idea what that was. It eventually went away. Any idea what it could be and how I can get out of that if I hit it again by mistake?
EDIT: Battle Regimen maybe?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You hit the emote button on your controller. (I think it's square on the PS pad)

If you're stuck in battle regimen mode, go back into passive mode and then back into active mode.

frequency

Rentahamster said:
You hit the emote button on your controller. (I think it's square on the PS pad)

If you're stuck in battle regimen mode, go back into passive mode and then back into active mode.
Thanks! I was frantically pressing everything on my controller when I was stuck. I almost died in front of someone who was mining or something, which would have been embarrassing.

EDIT: Though I'm sure they wouldn't have been paying attention. That mining mini game!

Teknoman

More interview questions posted today. These fluff pieces do give abit more insight into the current development process XIV is undergoing than most would think.

Also apparently Yoshi-P is a baller, shot caller, and used to PK alot. Mentions PVP multiple times in relation to lalafells and other games.

Oh yeah:

You previously mentioned that you guys are working on redesigning the areas. Are you more focused on changing the geography or the design?

Yoshida: Changes will be made to both the geography and the design of the areas. Some areas will be changed rather drastically, so I'd love if you all could discuss how you think the changes will be made while you're all looking forward to it.

Nakazato

Teknoman said:
More interview questions posted today. These fluff pieces do give abit more insight into the current development process XIV is undergoing than most would think.

Also apparently Yoshi-P is a baller, shot caller, and used to PK alot. Mentions PVP multiple times in relation to lalafells and other games.

Oh yeah:

You previously mentioned that you guys are working on redesigning the areas. Are you more focused on changing the geography or the design?

Yoshida: Changes will be made to both the geography and the design of the areas. Some areas will be changed rather drastically, so I'd love if you all could discuss how you think the changes will be made while you're all looking forward to it.
:O

Hype Train all aboard CHO CHO

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Redesign of areas coming in 1.21, which will be released in December. Or something like that.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Coldsnap said:
I now have a crush on the girl who did the interview.

edit: which means I am no longer quit.

My GF say she is hot too :p

Cmagus

Keiician said:
Redesign of areas coming in 1.21, which will be released in December. Or something like that.

so wait they aren't adding the farms and stuff out in the field like in the previous screens in 1.18?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Cmagus said:
so wait they aren't adding the farms and stuff out in the field like in the previous screens in 1.18?
Um, I'm not really 100% sure, but I think 1.18 is all about auto-attack and 2 "raid dungeons". On the other hand I've just found this and may it be the "farm", that you're referring to?

Allard

Cmagus said:

They are adding quest hubs either in the next patch in the next couple large patches. The changes the Producer is outlining is about reshaping the whole world based on people's complaints, the hubs are the equvalent of adding a building in the middle of the field and only marginally changes the geometry of the games zones without really touching the main issues with it. The changes the Producer is trying to pull off is redesign the entire world map to add more uniqueness into each zone while also making them less cumbersome to traverse (he specifically mentioned Black Shroud was the #1 priority on the changes list when he first mentioned the idea). For instance have each sub region give off their own special characteristics or quality, have their own mini 'monument' that shows off the region and makes it clearly different then the other sub regions. He also mentioned some of the world shaping ideas were being implemented because of Jump being added to the game and that certain zones (black Shroud) needed a make over just to make jump possible.

Ravidrath

Redoing the world really shows how far they're willing to go to improve the game, I think... that is a pretty massive undertaking, and something that was a complete non-starter in XI.

The main thing I'd like to see in the geographic changes are actual landmarks to orient oneself by, but also break up the terrain and have things to look at and look for. It's as much a design issue as it is an aesthetic one.

Coldsnap

Hi Hello

attachment.php

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Cmagus said:
lol i should really get to 50 i managed to sit at 48 for the last month and a half out of boredom.
Well, I'm unable to advance past rank 21/22 due to boredom ;d

Gromph

Staff Member
russian stuff was fake

More bits from french ppl

Q: Are there mog houses on schedule ?

A: It isn’t decided if they will be “mog houses”, but private areas and housing system are planned. These changes will come with the major patch that concerns the maps of the game.

Mog house confirmed.

Gromph

Staff Member
Quadaess Suikun said:
But that Russian interview is just a humorous fake. The Russian team does not even exist lol

My bad...

Munba

1.18 other adjustments list:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=4219fb1a0da1eba16c0d0496d727f16b62aef351

Removal of the Fatigue System
Fatigue is the means whereby playing for prolonged periods of time progressively yields less and less skill and experience points, eventually reaching a point where neither can be obtained. Patch 1.18 will see the removal of this system, meaning players will no longer be subjected to a reduction in skill and experience point awards even after long hours of play. In light of this change, accumulated surplus points will also be done away with.

Death Penalty and Raising
The introduction of instanced raids will be accompanied by a wide range of revisions to areas such as the death penalty, Raise spells, and the Return command.

Death Penalty
The penalty for being KO'd, namely the effects of Weakness and Brink of Death, will be revised as follows:

Weakness
Players who are raised will be afflicted with the Weakness status, which has the following negative effects:

25% HP reduction
25% MP reduction

Brink of Death
Players who are KO’d when under the effect of Weakness and are subsequently raised will be subjected to the Brink of Death status, which inflicts the following negative effects:

50% HP reduction
50% MP reduction
50% attack power reduction
50% magic potency reduction
50% defense reduction
50% magic defense reduction

A further penalty will apply to equipment durability for players who revive themselves via the Return command.

Raising
As part of balance adjustments accompanying the introduction of instanced raids, and in order to improve the usability of Return as a mode of transport, Raise and Resurrect will receive changes to their effects, as well as the rank at which they are learned. New Raise spells will also be introduced.

Raise

Learned: Rank 14 (instead of 38)
Recast Time: 5 min. (instead of 60 sec.)
MP Cost: 101 (instead of 0)

Resurrect

Learned: Rank 14 (instead of 38)
Recast Time: 5 min. (instead of 60 sec.)
MP Cost: 101 (instead of 0)

Raise II -New-
Restore the breath of life, reviving a KO’d target. Weakness and Brink of Death effects last for 1 minute.

Learned: Conjurer, Rank 38
Cast Time: 10s
Recast Time: 2.5 min.
MP Cost: 186
Exclusive to conjurer.

Rebirth -New-
Restore the breath of life, reviving a KO’d target. Target suffers no Weakness or Brink of Death effects.

Learned: Conjurer, Rank 50
Cast Time: 10s
Recast Time: 30 min.
MP Cost: 231
Exclusive to conjurer.

Return
Alongside the above-mentioned reduction in the rank at which Raise is learned, the following adjustments will be made to Return in order to improve its usability as a mode of transport.

Anima consumption will be reduced to zero.
A recast time of 15 minutes will be imposed.
* The above recast time is not imposed on players who are KO'd.

All good stuff. Bye bye Fatigue!

Cmagus

Keiician said:
Well, I'm unable to advance past rank 21/22 due to boredom ;d

It'll be alot more fun when everyone returns.Plus for me I grinded my first character to 36 but then I switched server to play with everyone so I started again from scratch if it hadn't been for that I might be as good as Dega

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So Hvinire challenged me at SF4.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/16129-The-Community-Teams-interview-Yoshida-in-Japan!?p=227659&viewfull=1#post227659

Hvinire said:
Rentahamster said:
I want to challenge him at Street Fighter 4 the next time I go to Japan. First to 5, loser has to sing "Eyes on Me" karaoke. I know you can make this happen, Mr. Cactuar!
Forget him, fight me! I've been practicin'. My karaoke ain't too shabby either just in case.

I need his XBL gamertag so we can get this shit on. I know you guys read gaf, PM me! :D

Zabian

Neo Member
Unknown Soldier said:
Hi Zab! I still remember our little walk to Mor Dhona when we were both like level 16. Good times.

That's still one of my favorite memories of playing. Back in the good ol' days(?), before we had these new-fangled aggro marks over the enemies, or enmity-doodads to juggle hate. I like exploring, hopefully there will be more unique zones added to explore.

Teknoman

Kyoufu said:
Can you solo grind or do you need other people?

Is there a link to download the client? I think my discs are lost.

Yes you can, or at least will be able to once the guild leve revamps go through. Now those are going to be tailored towards soloing (you can still party with them, but it would be better to hit up a dungeon or field party after the fixes are done).

There isnt any official place to download the client atm.

932.jpg

Finally raise animations and a lowered rank required for it.

Whats the difference between raise and resurrect?

EDIT: And now a topic pops up with some guy whining about raise being set to too low a rank. Glad the higher rank spells are exclusive.

Gromph

Staff Member
Popcicle said:
You don't need to go to all that trouble to find me ;).

But I mostly play on PS3, don't worry we'll make this happen someday.

Hello Hvinire welcome to GAF :p

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
New info on repairs:

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=7da5e02bc548eb716fd549102886f25c0f7e693d

It's about time.

Patch 1.18 will usher in a host of crowd-pleasing improvements to the repair system, such as large-scale revisions to recipes and adjustments to the rate of success.
Simplifying Repairs

Patch 1.18 will see all repair materials replaced with a universal item called dark matter. Dark matter comes in five grades, each of which can be used to repair equipment whose optimal rank falls within a certain range. As long as the range is correct, dark matter can be used to repair equipment of any class.

Repair Material Description
Grade 1 Dark Matter Universal repair material. Use to repair equipment for class ranks 1-10.
Grade 2 Dark Matter Universal repair material. Use to repair equipment for class ranks 11-20.
Grade 3 Dark Matter Universal repair material. Use to repair equipment for class ranks 21-30.
Grade 4 Dark Matter Universal repair material. Use to repair equipment for class ranks 31-40.
Grade 5 Dark Matter Universal repair material. Use to repair equipment for class ranks 41-50.

* Dark matter can be obtained from vendor NPCs, as guildleve rewards, and through gathering.

Repair System Adjustments

From patch 1.18 onwards, repairs will always be successful when made by those who possess sufficient rank in the appropriate skill. Furthermore, the chance of conducting repairs without expending materials will increase slightly overall.

NPC Repairs

In order to improve the usability of NPC repairs, the fee for such services will be greatly reduced.

Gromph

Staff Member
Oh yes!

More free space. :)

Atm with cloth/leather/wood repair mats is a hell!

Lets hope they also remove the Gathering Fatigue.

Gromph

Staff Member
All of this should be made on beta.

All players was begging for much of this.

I'm very happy with the changes and finally the flow of info.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom