• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I know we have some SE members in this thread/forum.

I will be in Tokyo from 3/23 until 4/17, is there any chance i can go visit Naoki Yoshida and all the XIV dev team?

I promise i will take a LOT of photos of running 2.0 clients. :p

PD: PM me, thanks :)

Wazzim

Banned
Anyone know how long your character will be saved after cancellation? I might jump back in when it's summer but don't fancy starting all over again.

No one said anything about it being "official."

And, ultimately, the "intended" use of the Buddy Pass is to get more subscriptions. I honestly don't know why they even sell MMOs in boxes any more.

Bandwidth caps and internet speed issues most likely. I am loving the digital revolution but have an unlimited 50Mbps connection. I would probably be joining the complaints against large downloads if I was capped or had a slow connection.

Anyone know how long your character will be saved after cancellation? I might jump back in when it's summer but don't fancy starting all over again.

I'm pretty sure they maintain your character indefinitely these days.

Bento

I noticed that you can now purchase the game on the SE website. In theory, shouldn't I be able to download it somewhere then? So confusing!
Not going to link but just head over to Pirate Bay or some other Torrent site and you'll find a retail copy to download (just checked on PB). Wish Square Enix would offer an official downloadable client though :I

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not going to link but just head over to Pirate Bay or some other Torrent site and you'll find a retail copy to download (just checked on PB). Wish Square Enix would offer an official downloadable client though :I

Amongst other things...I've also contacted support to ask about this. I have an account, I've played the game, I've owned more than one retail copy (don't ask), but buying it AGAIN is not something I really want to do. :|

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Got a response from SE Support.

Dear Customer,

Regarding your request for account/technical support. Please find your answer below.

If you have lost your discs and would like to download the game you will have to repurchase the game through the website as the distributor for the game will only give a download when a game is purchased. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.

I should still be getting on later tonight anyways, probably won't play this weekend, though. Next time I'm on, I'll try and get in touch with folks to try and get some help. :)

Wow that sucks man and seems utterly insane for a modern MMO.

They're several aspects in FF XIV that are stuck in the past era of MMO.

2.0 should be really closer to a much modern MMO with the special flair that make XI so awesome back then.

PD: That said, as now is still a really fun MMO.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Torrent .. cough

SE suck when it comes to anything customer services related.

No comment.

But I will say, these updates are taking FOREVER. :|

E: Also, I know a LOT has changed since I started. Materia? Job quests? Power leveling (this may have been around just as I stopped)? Any help/place to read and get a nice idea of what's going on?

Mature

No comment.

But I will say, these updates are taking FOREVER. :|

E: Also, I know a LOT has changed since I started. Materia? Job quests? Power leveling (this may have been around just as I stopped)? Any help/place to read and get a nice idea of what's going on?
When it comes to a solid, compendium of information about this game-- it really doesn't exist. I think this is in part because of all the frequent changes.

The ones I use, however:
nifty item DB: http://mozk-tabetai.com/
DB of things that link to other DBs: http://www.ffxivpro.com
gear finder: http://www.ffxiv-db.com/gear_finder.php

I'm sure others have suggestions as well

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
When it comes to a solid, compendium of information about this game-- it really doesn't exist. I think this is in part because of all the frequent changes.

The ones I use, however:
nifty item DB: http://mozk-tabetai.com/
DB of things that link to other DBs: http://www.ffxivpro.com
gear finder: http://www.ffxiv-db.com/gear_finder.php

I'm sure others have suggestions as well

Fair enough, thanks!

Also, I didn't realize they made the game pay-to-play again. Woops! Are most people still on Lindblum?

kiryogi

Banned
MMOS are so unhealthy for me. Been pulling 4-5 hour sleep nights again since 1.21. Poor SF x T, SSX, and Neptunia 2 getting shelved so hard too. . . But the progress is tremendous!

- Paladin complete
- Dragoon complete
- PUG 50 and Monk complete
- WHM 2/5 done.

And mooore. . . I'm starting to get starbucks to get me thru the day now lolol.

Nicoga, did you get a copy of the game? I actually own a sealed copy of the Collector's Edition (basically the supplier sent me two copies by mistake back when the game came out, lol) so if worst comes to worst I can send it to you. I have no use for it, it's still in my closet in the unopened shipping box. XD

Just let me know.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Nicoga, did you get a copy of the game? I actually own a sealed copy of the Collector's Edition (basically the supplier sent me two copies by mistake back when the game came out, lol) so if worst comes to worst I can send it to you. I have no use for it, it's still in my closet in the unopened shipping box. XD

Just let me know.

Taken care of, but thank you so much for the offer!!

Megaton

Neo Member
Has anyone run into an Updater Error 20524 while trying to update the game? It's been coming up every time I try to update the game.

Munba

redcrystal.jpg

It seems the crystals are reacting with dalamud :0

Ravidrath

Guessing this is part of a new random event, ala the Lambs of Dalamud.

Concept art has shown red, broken aetherytes, so it follows that this is the start of that.

Hmm... maybe Dalamud is just one giant red aetheryte crystal? That might explain the little spikes on it.

Munba

I think so.

ff14-aetheryte.jpg

I think Dalamud will make a sort of attraction for all the crystals on Eorzea. In this way, probably, some undeground ancient areas will go out from the earth (ruins, etc.).

Mature

Oh yeah, this one. And upon second look, that's just a regular aetheryte crystal at the top and that's a Limsa camp. (like the screenshot)

edit: Oh beaten >_>

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I'll be out of town all weekend (hey there St. Patrick's Day), so I won't be playing until Sunday night/Monday. Once I do, would anyone be willing to jump on and help reacquaint me with things? I'm not high leveled (less than 20 on the few classes I've played), so I'm relatively fresh on everything, but I know so much has changed since the two times I've gotten my feet wet with this game.

kiryogi

Banned
Hrm doesn't seem to be a glitch. I haven't seen it myself, but I'm getting reports from folks saying they saw the Bearded Rock aether as red. . . We're getting closer to the end of Eorzea.

And yeah, I was looking back @ the 2.0 documentation and yup, we got broken red Aethers.

However, it was super neat to see how much of what was announced is now actually reality. The jobs, the Chimera, or cyclops. . . We're coming very nicely. And heck after this, it's Hamlet Defense and Garuda :eek:

Allard

Hrm doesn't seem to be a glitch. I haven't seen it myself, but I'm getting reports from folks saying they saw the Bearded Rock aether as red. . . We're getting closer to the end of Eorzea.

And yeah, I was looking back @ the 2.0 documentation and yup, we got broken red Aethers.

However, it was super neat to see how much of what was announced is now actually reality. The jobs, the Chimera, or cyclops. . . We're coming very nicely. And heck after this, it's Hamlet Defense and Garuda :eek:

Have the red crystals appeared at any other camps yet? In the PDF documentation the red color was translated as a symptom of a broken crystals and needed to be chained down. In that PDF the whole camp aronud if was destroyed and filled with chains just trying to keep it from flying off. Basically the reason I ask if its just Bearded rock is this might be a sign that the camp might not be around come 2.0 as anything more then a landmark.

Ravidrath

Have the red crystals appeared at any other camps yet? In the PDF documentation the red color was translated as a symptom of a broken crystals and needed to be chained down. In that PDF the whole camp aronud if was destroyed and filled with chains just trying to keep it from flying off. Basically the reason I ask if its just Bearded rock is this might be a sign that the camp might not be around come 2.0 as anything more then a landmark.

Yeah, I think these are basically camps that will no longer function in 2.0 - they'll still be there as a sign of once was, but inoperable.

Semi-related: I really hope they completely redo all the levequests in 2.0. The ones we have now are way too same-y, and killing dodos for eating the lettuce and finding demons hiding amongst the sheep is not my definition of "heroic."

We should be repelling Beastman incursions, fighting scary monsters that there aren't millions of in the immediate area, etc.

Jinko

Some are suggesting that Dalamald is attracting the aerthryte pulling it from the ground, which could explain where the crystal tower comes from.

As for leves I think they should just get rid of them and turn them into repeatable quests that you can pick up from a hub/camp.

It makes no sense to me that you pick up crafting leves (local) and have to run to frikkin broken water to hand it in, or that to do gathering leves you have to run back to town to pick 2 up at a time.

I got DRG AF armor last night, had to stay until so late!

But I <3 DRG AF amor so much, so it was worth.

GB6ze.jpg

Some are suggesting that Dalamald is attracting the aerthryte pulling it from the ground, which could explain where the crystal tower comes from.

As for leves I think they should just get rid of them and turn them into repeatable quests that you can pick up from a hub/camp.

It makes no sense to me that you pick up crafting leves (local) and have to run to frikkin broken water to hand it in, or that to do gathering leves you have to run back to town to pick 2 up at a time.

It would be cool every hub had their own little plot and quests that would force you to explore the map and different locations with enemy camps or so.

I don't really want exploration in the current world map, but if they are overhauling it as much as it seems, I would love so.

PD: Also, how are teles gonna work without the crystals?

Ravidrath

PD: Also, how are teles gonna work without the crystals?

I don't think all of them are going to be ruined, just some of them. And also it's possible that the red crystals could have teleport functionality, but just lose all their leve functionality, etc.

The red business almost reminds me of The Spirits Within... life forces of two different celestial bodies counteracting and consuming each other.

Jinko

POWER LEVEL PARTY

So tomorrow we are gunna try and get everyone from 30-50 in a massive power level party.

So if possible can you guys who want to come get your classes to at least 30, multiple classes are fine.

Easiest way is to just duo up with someone and take turns power levelling each other.

POWER LEVEL PARTY

So tomorrow we are gunna try and get everyone from 30-50 in a massive power level party.

So if possible can you guys who want to come get your classes to at least 30, multiple classes are fine.

Easiest way is to just duo up with someone and take turns power levelling each other.

Lol, awesome. I am 37 on both DoM classes. I'll join up.

Riposte

POWER LEVEL PARTY

Sounds good, but I'll be too busy to join I think. Actually I wonder if I want to take any other classes to 50 right now. I just want everything at 30 lol. The I don't like idea of overpowering all job quests.

Cmagus

Yeah I don't know the exact times it will depend on who all shows and levels.I'll be around tomorrow and so will Jinko look for either of us we will play it by ear.I was able to get a bunch to 30 tonight so in the morning I will work with Jinko to catch up and then the fun begins

Dracos

To Eight and Jinko, this Powerleveling stuff is far beyond the guild call of duty and is very appreciated. Glad I brought Black Santa back when I did.

rybrad

Well, I threw in the towel on this game. I REALLY wanted to like it but the cumbersome UI, constant running around for busywork quests and lack of compelling content (levequests over and over is bleh) just got to be too much. I feel like it has potential but I will be waiting until 2.0 to give it another go I think.

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice and help in this thread. I will be sticking around in here and if anything compelling happens before 2.0 I may give it another shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom