• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomodachi

Very OT but I don't know where else to ask. I have a square-enix account with a ff14 account. I want to add to this one my old playonline account with ff11 account. I manage to get to the page for the transferring but then the site asks for my credit card, so my question is: do I have to pay one month of ff11 fee to transfer my playonline account to my square-enix one? I'm not interested in playing ff11 but just to be sure I wanted to merge the accounts for future reference. Has anyone had the same issue?

omlet

Very OT but I don't know where else to ask. I have a square-enix account with a ff14 account. I want to add to this one my old playonline account with ff11 account. I manage to get to the page for the transferring but then the site asks for my credit card, so my question is: do I have to pay one month of ff11 fee to transfer my playonline account to my square-enix one? I'm not interested in playing ff11 but just to be sure I wanted to merge the accounts for future reference. Has anyone had the same issue?

You don't have to activate your XI account to merge your POL ID with your SE account. I just did this around Christmas.

Tomodachi

You don't have to activate your XI account to merge your POL ID with your SE account. I just did this around Christmas.
Yay, I just did it too, turns out I could choose Crysta points as payment and go ahead in the screens. Thanks for the input, I surrendered too soon :p

omlet

I don't have to, I already have a Legacy account, but want my friend to get it while it's cheap. I've seen your post before but was told it should be ok later by a friend who follows all the news much more closer than I do.

I still think it's taking a risk. I check OF fairly often and don't remember seeing anything stating clearly one way or the other that existing unused XIV codes will be valid for ARR. If your friend can point you to something specific from an SE employee, then go for it, and let us know here as well.

Otherwise I'd say the fact that these registration codes can't be redeemed at all says a lot and it's better to wait unless you can find a 1.x copy for dirt cheap (which is harder to do now, due to game not selling well leading to little to no new copies being distributed + the recall + people grabbing cheap copies in anticipation of ARR). To me, 20 pounds sounds like a lot to gamble on since that's probably like 50-70% of what ARR will cost new (I guess this was your point to begin with).

Nakazato

So.. Something alarming ive noticed in the ffxiv trailers is the is no monk... It makes me feel like yoshi-p has no real plan for that job. Tho he has stated that he would like to make it a skill chain monster.

So.. Something alarming ive noticed in the ffxiv trailers is the is no monk... It makes me feel like yoshi-p has no real plan for that job. Tho he has stated that he would like to make it a skill chain monster.

huh?

Unless I'm mistaken,

Monk was in the Limit break trailer

Beoow.jpg

Xux

There's no Dragoons in the FMV trailers, either. I've seen people speculate that it's because of those two jobs connections to Ishgard and Ala-Mhigo. Dragoons aren't allowed to leave Ishgard once they become actual Dragoons and Ala-Mhigan Monks are either part of the resistance or part of the Garlean military now. Or Ishgard doesn't want itself represented by Dragoons and Monks don't want their art to be used against the brainwashed Ala-Mhigans that make up Darnus' Legion.

The lack of Carbuncle's kind of odd, too, since, by the time the game releases, Arcanist'll just be another class along the rest. Maybe Arcanist or Summoner has ties to Sharlayan (IE the book wielding class having ties to the scholarly city) and they didn't want that connection in the intro. Maybe the only prominent Arcanist we've seen, Urianger, is off doing something important to make summoning possible or normal again.

I dunno. There's plenty of story reasons they could use, though.

Ravidrath

You haven't seen anything from it because it's still undergoing a radical redesign.

How is that having "no real plan for that job?" You haven't seen anything because he's still in the middle of carrying out his plan.

Some clarification on the Legacy and beta application.

Hello everyone,

There seems to be some concerns and confusion surrounding Legacy members and the Beta Test sign ups so we'd like to clarify everything a bit more.

Legacy Members
Legacy members will be able to participate in the Windows PC beta test from phase 1 without doing anything, regardless of whether or not you applied for the Beta. (Except for extremely rare cases where service accounts or Square Enix accounts were terminated)

Legacy Members & the PS3 Beta Test
Even Legacy members will need to apply to become a PlayStation 3 beta tester. If you would like to participate in the PlayStation 3 Beta Test, we ask that you apply.

When applying, no matter what selection you make on the Beta Test application, your status for the Windows PC version will not be affected. More specifically, feel free to select either "PlayStation 3" or "Windows PC and PlayStation 3." (There is no difference between these options for Legacy members.)

FFXIII (PS3) Members Code
Firstly, you do not need to have an FFXIII Members code to apply for the PS3 Beta Test. If you enter an FFXIII Members code, you will be given priority over those that do not. If you have one, we recommend that you enter it.

Selection for the PS3 version does not affect Windows PC version beta access. You will not lose access to the Windows PC version if you are selected for the PS3 version. It will be possible to play on both platforms with the same ID if selected.

Please also note that the PS3 beta will begin in phase 3, and this is when FFXIII Members code holders and those who wanted to try the PS3 beta in the past will be able to play.

On the "Beta Test Details and Requirements" page we asked that those that had previously entered their code to indicate it, but this has been removed from the English, French and German text as this is the first time the code is able to be entered.

Beta Test Sign Up Links
North America: http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/na
Europe: http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/eu
French: http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/fr
Germany: http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/de
Japan: http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/jp

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...ication-Questions-and-Bug?p=932269#post932269

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I just applied to PS3 beta test (found my code on my XIII JP copy) .. anyway they said if you applied with code on Alpha (1.0) and got selected (I did) you have priority to PS3 beta test.

If you applied to be a PlayStation 3 beta tester for FFXIV Version 1.0 and were selected to test the Windows version instead, you need not apply again to test the PS3 version—your original application will be reconsidered when we start selecting PS3 testers. However, if you wish to be considered as a Windows PC tester, we ask that you apply specifically for that.

Credo

My friend just asked me this question, and I don't know the answer.

Will beta characters carry over into retail or will everyone be wiped once the beta ends and retail begins? Has this even been mentioned?

Allard

My friend just asked me this question, and I don't know the answer.

Will beta characters carry over into retail or will everyone be wiped once the beta ends and retail begins? Has this even been mentioned?

There is a small blurb on the beta road map released earlier that says something about characters created during phase 4 will be carried over to release, but we don't yet know the extent of that. It might just be saving your character template so that you can start almost immediately when the official client launches, it is very vague and hasn't been given a proper detailed answer yet from the devs nor do I expect one till we get closer to the phase (so they got room to change their mind depending on the status of the beta testing at the time). Phase 4 is also the only phase that will be 'open' beta and NDA disappears.

Beta phase 1-3 will have wipes between each phase, so for like 85% of beta you won't keep any progress whatsoever.

Jijidasu

I ended up grabbing two of those Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Ultimate boxes (one to sell for profit) and in the art book included are a couple nice pieces by Takahashi. One for the Primals and the other the Free Company concept art. These aren't my scans either (I don't want to wreck the art book) I think they're from the Ultimania's as the quality isn't fantastic. The art is the same for FFXIV in both the Ultimate art book and the ultimania series, which kind of bites.

Wonder what the mogumogu earring does. No information on it on the slip.

I wonder how long it takes Warlock to steal these and post them on the OF.

Credo

There is a small blurb on the beta road map released earlier that says something about characters created during phase 4 will be carried over to release, but we don't yet know the extent of that. It might just be saving your character template so that you can start almost immediately when the official client launches, it is very vague and hasn't been given a proper detailed answer yet from the devs nor do I expect one till we get closer to the phase (so they got room to change their mind depending on the status of the beta testing at the time). Phase 4 is also the only phase that will be 'open' beta and NDA disappears.

Beta phase 1-3 will have wipes between each phase, so for like 85% of beta you won't keep any progress whatsoever.

Thanks for the response, Allard!

ebil

A French rep actually confirmed yesterday that everything will carry over from phase 4 to release, including progress made on V1 characters.

A French rep actually confirmed yesterday that everything will carry over from phase 4 to release, including progress made on V1 characters.

The road map says they reserve the right to change their minds about that..

I'm sure that their plan is to carry it over unless they find some game breaking bug or some other big issue with allowing the data to stay.

ebil

You're right, everything can change anytime if there's a big problem -- it's still a beta, I wasn't discussing it. I was just bringing in the latest known official statement concerning character data, as I stumbled upon the rep's post and thought it would complement Allard's post.

Allard

Im so fucking bored beta needs to hurry up and start

Considering Beta isn't coming till mid-February (I expect at the earliest, only once did an update go 'ahead' of schedule during 1.0 :p) you might want to go find something to tide you over. Been playing FFXI again in preparation for the expansion coming in March, haven't really played it in earnest since the second Abyssea Add-on lol. I am actually having quite a bit of fun dual boxing it and my biggest obstacle when I quit (gil) went out the window thanks void dust selling XD.

Hopefully we get a new producer letter, or magazine expose next week on the beta to tide some of us over, and then followed by the benchmark which I would hope comes out before the end of this month. Unfortunately the doldrums between Alpha and beta just had to happen during the holiday breaks so the lack of news is even more distracting then normal because the reps went silent while on holiday and really didn't get back to work till this week.

Animekatt

Did you have a hard time with the boss battle in the forest? I did too, until I tried the Volcano bit. They let you fight random battles to get the hang of the combat. Once you beat that forest creature and see that awesome world map, you will change your mind.

Ravidrath

I tend to think Level 5's console RPGs are garbage grindfests with even shittier stories, but the Ni No Kuni demo sold me on the game right away.

And, yeah, the forest boss was surprisingly difficult to get the hang of for a demo. And it took me a while to realize I had free movement around the field, too, because they seem to tutorialize everything except that.

I'm playing Tales of Graces f right now and really liking it, so I kind of doubt I'll jump into Ni No Kuni right away, though.

Jinko

I tend to think Level 5's console RPGs are garbage grindfests with even shittier stories, but the Ni No Kuni demo sold me on the game right away.

Indeed, I'm no fan of Level 5, but this looks like it could be quite enjoyable, doesn't hurt that it looks like an anime either.

Anyone else got this when trying to log on to the forums?

Since the login to FINAL FANTASY XIV in the last 30 days could not be confirmed, you are not allowed to log in to the official FINAL FANTASY XIV forums.

Allard

Seems like it's going to happen to everyone then.

Its not supposed to, they made a comment somewhat recently about how this issue was supposed to be disabled but it looks like they didn't 'quite' turn the settings off the way they planned. Lets wait and see, there is a a thread on the forums about this issue I am sure the reps will acknowledge it soon enough.

Jijidasu

Damn, what's up with this news drought. I thought we'd be getting barraged with news now beta is nearly on us, at least the benchmark program.

Allard

Damn, what's up with this news drought. I thought we'd be getting barraged with news now beta is nearly on us, at least the benchmark program.

I'm disappointed we got no news today as well, but less news means more work getting done (one would hope). Also its not just FFXIV, ever since the site got renewed its been very quiet on the FFXI side of things despite an upcoming expansion we know very little about. I wonder if the week long holiday they got on new years has a bit to do with the dry spell for marketing. During Christmas time the reps were on vacation but the developers were not, they kept making posts.

desu

If it wasn't for this thread, I might have just forgotten that this game even exists. Well even I expected way more information, even if it was just for some useless 2 screen blog entries.

Jijidasu

The worst of it is Dec/Jan are my vacation months. While I wasn't just banking on FFXIV beta it's the only two months of the year that I'm not juggling travel between Japan and Australia , work, education etc. I was really hoping to enjoy it.

Instead, my game time during this vacation mostly involves me getting railed in DOTA 2 by Internet thugs.

So bitter. lol.

BLCKATK

Did anyone play the alpha on a macbook or something like that? My desktop just stopped working on me, so I don't have a gaming computer anymore. I'm hoping I'll still be able to test the beta, and then maybe I'll borrow my roommates PS3 for Phase 3 and 4.

Ravidrath

Did anyone play the alpha on a macbook or something like that? My desktop just stopped working on me, so I don't have a gaming computer anymore. I'm hoping I'll still be able to test the beta, and then maybe I'll borrow my roommates PS3 for Phase 3 and 4.

A regular Macbook probably can't run the game well, but a Macbook Pro definitely can. I'm on a 2011 MBP and it runs the game really well with nearly maxed-out settings, so a newer machine would perform even better.

Riposte

I might change my mind about doing the OT. Turns out this part of the year will be busier than I thought and I am also a little turned off with how unimportant OTs are these days. I'll probably still do it (and I want to do a really good job), but if someone wants to take it from me, I'll give it up no problem.

ZiZ

I might change my mind about doing the OT. Turns out this part of the year will be busier than I thought and I am also a little turned off with how unimportant OTs are these days. I'll probably still do it (and I want to do a really good job), but if someone wants to take it from me, I'll give it up no problem.

I think an FF XIV OT would be very important, a lot of people are interested in the game but don't know much about it, and for MMOs the OT functions somewhat as a social hub.

Jijidasu

I'm sure if you're busy you can recruit helpers. I'd be able to help with materials and so on. As ZiZ said, the OT is going to be a big weigh in for a lot of people.

BLCKATK

A regular Macbook probably can't run the game well, but a Macbook Pro definitely can. I'm on a 2011 MBP and it runs the game really well with nearly maxed-out settings, so a newer machine would perform even better.

I'm using a 2010 Macbook Pro, so hopefully it'll be alright. It struggled pretty hard with Guild Wars 2 and 1.0.

Ravidrath

I'm using a 2010 Macbook Pro, so hopefully it'll be alright. It struggled pretty hard with Guild Wars 2 and 1.0.

I think you'll probably be OK, just not with maxed settings.

2.0 is... actually optimized? And rather well, it seems - if you could run 1.0 at all, 2.0 should be amazing by comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom