• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Reviews - GameSpot 4/10, GameTrailers 4.2/10, GameSpy 2/5, IGN 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Well hopefully this will cause S-E to go into overdrive with patches and content updates...

As far as the topic itself...

xqia06.gif

Wallach

corkscrewblow said:
I can't wait to play this game when it gets fixed. Is there any BRD-esque class? I love BRD so if not I'll be upset.

AFAIK, no. I don't think they have all of the classes in yet though.

DaBuddaDa

HappyBivouac said:
I'll resign to the fact that I probably just look at games in a really unusual way. I'm no SE or FF loyalist; I didn't touch FFXIII and there are plenty of earlier entries I have zero interest in. I just honestly see the makings of a really freaking good game here.
That's fine! Go play it if you want. Have fun. Don't get angry or defensive over review scores, there's nothing you can say that will "change" anyones opinion. Everyone wants FFXIV to be great and the criticism is more out of sheer, heart breaking disappointment than any sort of bias or vendetta.

Khrno said:
Aww.. so SE fixed an exploit and you got annoyed? Did you get annoyed too when they fixed the fishing exploits, how about the duping, did you get banned then? Or what about the draw-in from some HNMs? Ah I know, maybe the mpk patch annoyed you?

Just as a reference, I did get advantage too of the engage/disengage exploit with my DRK75, just like I did when the 2-handed buff, and with some other ones, but was never resentful for them to fix those exploits.

Anyway, Kadinsky comment is stupid, they won't wait 2 years to fix all the server issues, and other critical bugs. Missing features and content will be added in a timed manner and class balancing, well they'll never get done with that.

Actually No I didn't whine and nor did I say I whined but thanks for making an assumption. Just for the record my first job(and the job that I was playing when that happened) was a mage job but thanks for playing!

My point was they didn't fix squat and they implemented a half assed fix for it that impacted everyone (even 1handers due to the engage timer that they half assedly implemented.)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
JudgeN said:
What is considered a great MMO by todays standards? I feel as though FFXI holds up really well, they fixed so many that were wrong with the game.
World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, and EVE Online are the ones I hear the most good things about. I think Guild Wars was also well received. I may be forgetting one or two.

menu systems work great when you use a controller, when you have a mouse and 100 keys at your disposal you would think they would alter menu system or have some flexibility on changing how your icons are presented. But this is from the same company that made FF11 where typing out commands was faster then using the UI, I would know that's how my room mate taught me how to play FF11 with fucking commands (/ma "Cura" RedMage) . But honestly i don't even know what's the audience for FF14 if they are targeting consoles, why isn't it out on consoles first, if they are reaching the Chinese market why make the game need such high specs

DaBuddaDa

JudgeN said:
What is considered a great MMO by todays standards? I feel as though FFXI holds up really well, they fixed so many that were wrong with the game.
WoW, DDO, LotRO, Guild Wars, for some people EVE, the Vindictus beta showed promise. I suspect most gamers would prefer one of those games listed over FFXI now. FFXI is still a long, frustrating grind, even if it's not quite as long or frustrating as it used to be.

Brannon

HK-47 said:
Also holy shit, they spent more than a decade crawling out of FFXI's launch hole only to fall back with XIV. Did they just throw everything out and start from scratch?

This is the elephant in the room everybody wants to dance around. It is 2010, and they've had previous experience in which they didn't have to look at a competitor's product. It's absolutely inexcusable to go THAT FAR back in time in terms of MMO progression.

corkscrewblow said:
Well that's silly. BRD and COR are way too good to be excluded.

Many of the jobs didn't come until the later expansions (Zilart, Treasures, Wings) and the last two took a couple of years to come out.

I might be wrong but I think the available jobs at launch were warrior, white mage, red mage, black mage, monk, thief

with the advanced jobs (that require you to be level 30 to initially unlock) and beyond didn't come until the 1st expansion hit

Takuan

HappyBivouac said:
5) Is this a terrible game? Sure, releasing it later and therefore having a cleaner more polished launch would've been nice, but it ended up being the same awesome product in the end. What do you think? Does the game still deserve a 4/10?

The problem is, the gaming community at large has become this giant festering monster that expects instant gratification, instant closure, and relishes in every chance to criticize. So, if you had any interest in this game but acknowledge the fact that it sucks in its current state, great! Check back in a while. But if you're just in here to say that the game sucks, period, end of story, then please try to think about how irrational that sort of thinking is.
It's a terrible game at the point of writing, which most of the reviews do indicate. They state it is an unfinished product and is generally quite sloppy, which is truthful and real feedback to people who are interested in the game and want to know how it plays right now, not what it will become six months down the line; in that sense, I don't see anything irrational about an MMO title getting smashed out the gate for glaring faults that may or may not be fixed. In my eyes, these negative reviews are rare examples of when review text matches the given score - with the exception of the 84 from that silly site linked somewhere in this thread, of course. Games should be judged on the experience they offer at the time of release; would it make a difference to buyers (the target audience) if the review text added, "There's a chance this game will be better in half a year, so all our complaints could be non-issues in the future"? Who buys a game today on the possibility that it may improve some months down the line? They're in the minority.

Any normal person who is highly anticipating a release that turns out to be garbage will undoubtedly be disappointed. If the product does improve in time and if the interest is there, they'll probably be quite pleased to be able to play the game as it was meant to be experienced. I don't see those people going back to the review and thinking, "Wow, these guys were out of their minds giving this game a 4" but rather, "Wow, this game must've been a complete mess when it came out".

Regarding the Yogscast review: yes, they did over-indulge a bit with poking fun at the game's shortcomings (part of why it's so entertaining), but it's meant to be cheeky. With respect to your comment that he didn't even bother to read the quest dialog, I'd like to ask you what well-designed game assaults the player with scrolling walls of boring text for an introductory fetch quest? He would skip the text and then refer to his journal to get the run-down because the cutscenes were that inane - is that really his fault? If the only sorts of players who enjoy reading long-winded quest dialog are the most die-hard fanboys, something is fundamentally wrong.

DaBuddaDa

Tycho from Penny Arcade makes a few well thought out comments concerning FFXIV reviews:

Tycho said:
The Gametrailers review of Final Fantasy XIV is as, um, "direct" in its speech and presentation as any assessment I've ever seen. It doesn't sound like a review at all, it sounds like an indictment - a formalized recitation of the facts in evidence. An MMO seems like such a strange thing to review, even under the best conditions. Did you catch the world event, did you interface with the right social framework to invest the generally quite mechanical gameplay with meaning, did you stumble on something organic and real in some disused corner of the simulation?

Even if the game had been ultrafresh, literally banging off the hook, I'm not entirely sure the model FFXIV is based on even exists anymore on PC. We'll see how the game is received on the Playstation 3, because the dynamic is very different: this genre doesn't infuse every micron of the console space, and there are people who want an experience like this and can't have it. On the PC, I couldn't begin to list just the free games available to enrich your leisure hours. I don't have the cilia to number them all.

Khrno

PandaPandaPanda said:
My point was they didn't fix squat and they implemented a half assed fix for it that impacted everyone (even 1handers due to the engage timer that they half assedly implemented.)

To be honest I never heard of the change affecting 1h, but it's true as well that I did mostly 2h jobs to 75 (DRK, WAR, SAM, DRG), and never noticed anything with my NIN but that was later on, or probably just got used to that and never remembered how it was before when I leveled some others 1h to 37 before then.

Mileena

Banned
PandaPandaPanda said:
Many of the jobs didn't come until the later expansions (Zilart, Treasures, Wings) and the last two took a couple of years to come out.

I might be wrong but I think the available jobs at launch were warrior, white mage, red mage, black mage, monk, thief

with the advanced jobs (that require you to be level 30 to initially unlock) and beyond didn't come until the 1st expansion hit
Well yea I know that, but I'm sure SE knows how important BRD/COR were to burn and merit parties and mainly just good parties in general. Then again, it's SE so they're probably just trolling.

Khrno said:
To be honest I never heard of the change affecting 1h, but it's true as well that I did mostly 2h jobs to 75 (DRK, WAR, SAM, DRG), and never noticed anything with my NIN but that was later on, or probably just got used to that and never remembered how it was before when I leveled some others 1h to 37 before then.

you have to be joking

Even if you were on a one handed job, you would still get a message saying among the lines of having to wait longer before you can engage(i forget what the exact text is but it won't let you engage the next monster right away due to them putting in this half assed fix.)

most players got around this by

A) facing the next mob
B) having auto engage on
C) manually switching targets before the current target died so you are already engaged on the next mob

you probably did this too-I know I for sure as hell did. Yeah it might not seem like a big deal but having to do this because they were too lazy to implement a proper fix on how the combat worked?

DaBuddaDa

_tetsuo_ said:
That's only half the review. People always post that, then never post the rest of it.
:lol the rest of the review is irrelevant. If half of the review is spent bashing numerous parts of a game, even if the other half is glowing it can't deserve a A+ with a straight face.

Shouta

HappyBivouac said:
So what's wrong with the UI? Can someone break it down? It works fine for me.

A whole slew of things. I could make a huge list of things that they should've fixed or done based on their design. The entire mess is just so user-unfriendly.

The worst design choice when it comes to the UI though is going with the menu selection style of UI rather than the icon based system, i.e. FFXI vs every other MMO. It's just a really tedious style with as many options as there are to select.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
DaBuddaDa said:
:lol the rest of the review is irrelevant. If half of the review is spent bashing numerous parts of a game, even if the other half is glowing it can't deserve a A+ with a straight face.
it can.

imagine metroid prime 1 had shitty ass broken multiplayer tacked on and the same single player, same price. would it have deserved lower scores?

its all about how much fun you have with it at the end of the day.

DaBuddaDa said:
Sure it can, if people can get it through their heads that a 10 (or in this case, an A+) doesn't mean perfect. Unfortunately, that's one of the oldest losing battles in the history of gaming coverage. Because the average gamer, like the average human, is pretty fucking thick.

Khrno

PLD, DRK, BRD, RNG, BST were at JP launch too.

SAM, NIN, DRG, SMN from Zilart.

COR, PUP, BLU from ToA.

DNC, SCH from WotG

PandaPandaPanda said:
you have to be joking

Even if you were on a one handed job, you would still get a message saying among the lines of having to wait longer before you can engage(i forget what the exact text is but it won't let you engage the next monster right away due to them putting in this half assed fix.)

most players got around this by

A) facing the next mob
B) having auto engage on
C) manually switching targets before the current target died so you are already engaged on the next mob

you probably did this too-I know I for sure as hell did. Yeah it might not seem like a big deal but having to do this because they were too lazy to implement a proper fix on how the combat worked?

Yeah, I remember that message, you are right, and indeed did those things you mention, the auto-engage on was for merit parties, same switching targets. I just saw it like a way to keep my 300 chains going D:

FLEABttn

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Sure it can, if people can get it through their heads that a 10 (or in this case, an A+) doesn't mean perfect. Unfortunately, that's one of the oldest losing battles in the history of gaming coverage. Because the average gamer, like the average human, is pretty fucking thick.

It's one thing to mention to mention the imperfections, it's another to bash the game for half a review and give it a perfect score.

jtb

Banned
JWong said:
Obligatory...
11t8j6w.jpg

Can people even read these days? The first paragraph sums it up pretty well... this game is more than the sum of its parts. Take Star Wars - a movie with a pretty bad script, bland, uncharismatic leads, and a plot as generic as they come. But that's (in my eyes) the perfect example of where the pieces come together to form an overall cohesive package that is, in the end, satisfying. I don't like grading anything off of a checklist, I like seeing whether those little flaws detract from the experience or not. If a game or any product manages to overcome its shortcomings, why should we penalize it for that?

In this case, FFXIV clearly has some pretty massive problems and these problems do detract from the experience. So that's why it's getting 4s, not 10s.

JWong

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
That you have to use the main menu for EVERYTHING!

I don't even want to look at my inventory because it's so damn annoying to go through the main menu.
the walrus said:
Take Star Wars
That's clearly a bad example because every Star Wars movie except Empire Strikes Back is clearly bad.

Mairu

HappyBivouac said:

Gonna go ahead and pull a Londa (sorry for singling you out here; I know you hate it) here and say it's probably "Well uhh I'm familiar with WoW's UI and most of the recent MMOs did a UI similar to that so uhh why isn't this like WoW? I'm a dumbass and can't be arsed to take a couple hours to get used to a different way of playing a game."

My current issues with the UI, all of which will definitely be patched in soon:

1) No inventory sorting.
2) Targeting in large groups. All they need to do is add the F1-F6 and F8 targeting functions that FFXI had.
3) UI lags a bit much.
The interface as a whole is extremely slow and unintuitive, and stating "it was designed for a console" isn't a good excuse because the game was released on the PC months before the console version is going to be released. It takes way too long to enter the main menu, enter a sub menu, then another sub menu to get to your inventory, allocate points, or add people to the friends list or whatever else you have to do. My roommate has told me that the reason the UI is so slow is because it's apparently server side... wat?

The targeting system is terrible, targeting with the TAB key is too slow and takes too long when there are multiple targets around you and targeting with a mouse seems fairly inaccurate.

I'm sure I could go on, but I only played the beta for about an hour before giving my beta account to my roommate and I've only put a tiny bit of time into release (2 hours) using my roommate's buddy pass.

And what the fuck @ the buddy pass. I can't even play with my friends who have the game because the server they play on is full and doesn't allow new character creation on it. They can't even play on another server with me because it'll cost them an additional monthly fee (Fuck you Square, this kind of business structure for an MMO is absolutely retarded) and there's no evidence that they'll offer free or paid character transfers in case we decide to play on different servers at the start and eventually transfer to the same server.

May16

Lonely1 said:
Gamespy absolutely panned the game. The text reads like a 0/5.
At most game review places, the bottom 0%-40% of their review scale are exactly the same, so that review pretty much is a 0.

DaBuddaDa

FFXIV has a broken quest system, terrible voice acting, intrusive cutscenes, few useless tutorials, poor graphical performance, a laggy and outdated UI and copy/pasted zones.

But I had a lot of fun playing it! 10/10.

jtb

Banned
JWong said:

I don't even want to look at my inventory because it's so damn annoying to go through the main menu.

That's clearly a bad example because every Star Wars movie except Empire Strikes Back is clearly bad.

And yet Star Wars is almost universally recognized as a "good" movie (critically, I mean - see RT or Metacritic, etc.), and even the original was nominated for a bunch of Oscars back in the day, including Best Picture... Objectively, the original (I don't want to touch on the others, since that's opening a whole different can of worms there) probably wouldn't be considered a "good" product - but nonetheless moviegoers and critics keep coming back to it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
DaBuddaDa said:
Tycho from Penny Arcade makes a few well thought out comments concerning FFXIV reviews:
Tycho proving once again that he's all dictionary vomit and no substance. Is he really asking if a space exists for subscription MMOs? What world have I woken up in?

Shouta said:
The worst design choice when it comes to the UI though is going with the menu selection style of UI rather than the icon based system, i.e. FFXI vs every other MMO. It's just a really tedious style with as many options as there are to select.

I just don't see why this bothers people. In my book, menus that I can pull up, get things done on, and then put away are better than icons cluttering up my screen. I mean, fuck, in my book, an RPG needs a big menu.

It just blows my mind that navigating a menu is now seen as a horrible idea in a role playing game. It makes me picture some ten-year-old freaking out at his keyboard going "WHAT ARE ALL THESE WORDS WHY CAN'T I CLICK ON PRETTY PICTURES OMG WHAT"

No, I get that I'm in the minority here and I'm sure the reasons are perfectly valid. I feel like I'm getting old. :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
DaBuddaDa said:

How can the rest of the 2000 words be irrelevant? The very next line is:

You can always find reasons not to give a game a 10. But can the good stuff overwhelm the bad by such a wide margin in order to reach our highest rating possible?

and the last line(s) is(are):

I can go on and on, but you really need to play this visual and visceral masterpiece for yourself. When you do, you'll find plenty of minor problems, just like I did...but you can always find reasons not to give a game a 10.

And while I was playing Gears of War, all I kept running into was reasons to give it a 10.

Khrno

JWong said:

Oh fuck, and for other it's their favourite movie series, or even more.

Different opinions, who would have thought so?

JWong said:

This just blows my mind. It's a goddamn RPG!

You won't access your inventory because "UGH I HAVE TO OPEN A MENU AND CLICK 'INVENTORY' THIS IS SO LABORIOUS"

zlatko

Banned
That 84 review is hilarious.

I DEMAND someone from Gaf call them up and record the call with the reviewer. Just ask him questions about the game if you are a FF14 player to see if they even know wtf you are talking about.

There's 0% chance they played for more than a day. I'm not saying maybe someone out there does think the game is that GOOD, but the way they worded the context of their review clearly shows this is not the case.

Kinda like how these 4/10 reviews have the context written out very well of why the game sucks, but personally I think the game is a 6/10 at launch. Still god damn terrible for A) SquareEnix game B) FINAL FUCKING FANTASY C) 2nd MMO by same dev team D) game that was developed for at least what, 5 years?

SE has me till the end of December at most like I've said. How they use that time is up to them it seems, because getting input from the players is clearly not something they give a shit about or else a community forum site where we could say, vote on the top 5 things we want changed ASAP could be voted on.

FLEABttn said:
It's one thing to mention to mention the imperfections, it's another to bash the game for half a review and give it a perfect score.
I feel that if you read the whole review, he explains himself fairly well. Again, the fundamental problem is that people can't accept that a top-scored game has acknowledged flaws.

Wallach

HappyBivouac said:
I just don't see why this bothers people. In my book, menus that I can pull up, get things done on, and then put away are better than icons cluttering up my screen. I mean, fuck, in my book, an RPG needs a big menu.

It just blows my mind that navigating a menu is now seen as a horrible idea in a role playing game. It makes me picture some ten-year-old freaking out at his keyboard going "WHAT ARE ALL THESE WORDS WHY CAN'T I CLICK ON PRETTY PICTURES OMG WHAT"

No, I get that I'm in the minority here and I'm sure the reasons are perfectly valid. I feel like I'm getting old. :lol

I don't think it's so much just that it is a menu-based system, but that it is a slow and poorly designed menu that doesn't give any consideration to which aspects are intuitively higher priority than others.

It's part of why menu-based systems are no longer common in the MMO space to begin with. For example, my inventory is often one of the most important aspects of my character management. It should probably be the most easily and quickly accessed section of my character's UI that is not permanently displayed on the screen.

Maybe to put it in more direct terms - any part of the UI that your user cannot almost immediately intuit is basically a failure of your UI design and not generally a failure of your user. In the MMO space, that is more important than in any other genre.

Fewr

Takuan said:
It's a terrible game at the point of writing, which most of the reviews do indicate. They state it is an unfinished product and is generally quite sloppy, which is truthful and real feedback to people who are interested in the game and want to know how it plays right now, not what it will become six months down the line; in that sense, I don't see anything irrational about an MMO title getting smashed out the gate for glaring faults that may or may not be fixed. In my eyes, these negative reviews are rare examples of when review text matches the given score - with the exception of the 84 from that silly site linked somewhere in this thread, of course. Games should be judged on the experience they offer at the time of release; would it make a difference to buyers (the target audience) if the review text added, "There's a chance this game will be better in half a year, so all our complaints could be non-issues in the future"? Who buys a game today on the possibility that it may improve some months down the line? They're in the minority.

Any normal person who is highly anticipating a release that turns out to be garbage will undoubtedly be disappointed. If the product does improve in time and if the interest is there, they'll probably be quite pleased to be able to play the game as it was meant to be experienced. I don't see those people going back to the review and thinking, "Wow, these guys were out of their minds giving this game a 4" but rather, "Wow, this game must've been a complete mess when it came out".

Regarding the Yogscast review: yes, they did over-indulge a bit with poking fun at the game's shortcomings (part of why it's so entertaining), but it's meant to be cheeky. With respect to your comment that he didn't even bother to read the quest dialog, I'd like to ask you what well-designed game assaults the player with scrolling walls of boring text for an introductory fetch quest? He would skip the text and then refer to his journal to get the run-down because the cutscenes were that inane - is that really his fault? If the only sorts of players who enjoy reading long-winded quest dialog are the most die-hard fanboys, something is fundamentally wrong.
Yes!
Thanks for that.

Mairu

HappyBivouac said:

You won't access your inventory because "UGH I HAVE TO OPEN A MENU AND CLICK 'INVENTORY' THIS IS SO LABORIOUS"
People are used to playing MMOs with somewhat intelligent design to them. Why should you have to open a menu to get to the menu that you want to see? What's the point of the big menu before that? It just increases the amount of time it takes to get to what you actually want to be looking at. This is a MMORPG, not a RPG.

FLEABttn

Banned
I can accept that a well reviewed game has flaws. All do. I just think that in a system where we hardly use 2/3rds of the scale, giving perfect scores to games with flaws so significant you dedicated half the review to them is a part of the problem.

FLEABttn said:
I can accept that a well reviewed game has flaws. All do. I just think that in a system where we hardly use 2/3rds of the scale, giving perfect scores to games with flaws so significant you dedicated half the review to them is a part of the problem.
Look, even you just did it.

Sophia

HappyBivouac said:

Every other MMORPG out there, except FFXI, FFXIV, and Guild Wars, does it this way because it's far less tedious.

Guild Wars has the excuse of there isn't much anything worthwhile to click in there. FFXIV... does not have that excuse. Binding EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE THING to the menu except the action bar is just flat out bad design. Moreso on the PC.

On another note, while WoW was technically incomplete at it's launch, it was in a far better state then any other MMO period. Most MMORPGs don't even hit the level of quality that WoW was at lunch.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Ninja Scooter said:
WOW was also a while ago. At what point do MMO devs stop getting this benefit of the doubt BS and get called out for shipping incomplete games? If a game sucks NOW, in the state it is in NOW and the state in which Square Enix is asking you to pay $50 + monthly fees for it, than it's a reviewers job to tell you that. Fuck potential. Fuck "re-reviewing" it a year from now. How about putting the onus on S-E to not ship a piece of shit incomplete game?

preach on!

Listening to the Geekbox over the past few months, iirc, it was either Fitch or Higgens who was having none of this game during their time in the beta, and then over time, they were saying that the problems still persist and nothing was fixed in the beta, so what was even the point of having the beta if nothing that players had legitimate complaints about the game were ever fixed.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
FLEABttn said:
Substitute excellent then.
i think most would agree that gears was an excellent game.

ya the whole reviewing spectrum is messed for most gaming media but you could single out almost any game as an example.

ratings are from 7-10, we just have to deal with it.

Shouta

HappyBivouac said:

The menus are cumbersome and incredibly difficult to navigate especially when the menu is slow as molasses, has some incredibly bad cursor memory issues, and has a lack of proper shortcuts and tricks to increase the speed of navigation. Icons may take up a bit more space but someone is gonna parse and use an icon/mouse-based interface far faster than the text only one that's being used in XIV.

I cant believe this thread has so many posts in it, or even its own thread, shouldnt this be in the op?

More on topic, I really hope this game turns out good in a year, was a big fan of ffxi back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom