• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Reviews - GameSpot 4/10, GameTrailers 4.2/10, GameSpy 2/5, IGN 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

I just popped in after seeing this game on metacritic at the top of the page today. With a whopping 53% from critics. Holy CHRIST that is bad. And the gamer reviews are worse.

HappyBivouac said:
If you've been reading the thread you'll know I've admitted to the game being a dud right now. I'm just saying while informative write-ups are great, tacking on a numerical rating for this type of situation is misleading.

Man that's not misleading at all. Rating the game right now is completely fair, they're asking for monies right now to play it right now. If they, say, didn't ask you to pay for 6 months (Beta I guess) then yeah, a review would be an odd choice. I'm totally cool with the idea of revisiting reviews down the road for these sorts of games, I think some dedicated MMO sites do that.

demigod said:
Yet people are still in here complaining about the game. Did you not read my post? WoW barely had to fix anything because the game was in Beta so long that they ironed out most of the stuff before launch. That's what *polish* means.
And yet their first post-release patch was a complete rebalancing of the game with many bug fixes and even some fairly big changes (ie, before the first patch using a Spirit Healer cost experience! The first patch is what made it take durability instead)

Yes, people are complaining (although many of them haven't played the game and only read about it), but this week's patch hasn't hit yet, and that's a BIG one that'll go a long way to solve buying, selling, and crafting items, which is really the biggest problem right now. But last week's patch fixed a lot of small but necessary things that was causing lots of bitching and annoyances.

notworksafe

HappyBivouac said:
If you've been reading the thread you'll know I've admitted to the game being a dud right now. I'm just saying while informative write-ups are great, tacking on a numerical rating for this type of situation is misleading.
:lol Get out.

It's only "misleading" in your eyes because the score was bad. If all the scores were 85+ you'd be having the totally opposite view. Giving a game a review score at the time it comes out it is what should be done, regardless of genre or potential updates. MMO devs need to get their act together (and yes, Blizzard's next MMO is included in there) and release games that aren't broken pieces of garbage and expect people to pay a monthly fee for them.

Having reviews at a later time perhaps should be done, but that's not the point. A game should be scored at what it is at launch. Because that is what people are spending their money on.

Dreamwriter said:
And yet their first post-release patch was a complete rebalancing of the game with many bug fixes and even some fairly big changes (ie, before the first patch using a Spirit Healer cost experience! The first patch is what made it take durability instead)

Yes, people are complaining (although many of them haven't played the game and only read about it), but this week's patch hasn't hit yet, and that's a BIG one that'll go a long way to solve buying, selling, and crafting items, which is really the biggest problem right now. But last week's patch fixed a lot of small but necessary things that was causing lots of bitching and annoyances.
And FFXIV's first post release patch was what exactly? Not next week's patch. The first patch. 10 to 1 it wasn't a game changer. Just another S-E patch that barely fixes anything, and promises better things in the future. How close am I?

Dreamwriter said:

Im pretty sure that 1.10 was the release day patch.
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/patch-11-07-04.html

Date there shows 11/07/04
game was released 11/23/04

so those changes were already in place by release

twofold

Dreamwriter said:

No it didn't. Stop making stuff up.

The game wasn't majorly rebalanced in the first patch, either.

A quick glance at the patch notes shows that you're doing nothing but spewing out bullshit.

Why are these delusional defenders still in this thread? Let them cool off mods please. Let them all enjoy waiting around to accept new quests together so everyone else can be happy!

Haunted

duckroll said:
So, I go to Metacritic to see how horribly the game is doing.... and what do I find?

Cheat Code Central:

84/100

We can't recommend that you spend $50, and then $12.99 a month after the first 30 days, on a title that has as many flaws as FFXIV does. But we can recommend that you keep an eye on the news to see how this game evolves.

Wtf is that bullshit? It basically says "do not buy" but yet they give the game 8/10? That's fucking hilarious.
- Square pays for the 8+, Square gets the 8+.
- Cheat Code Central anticipating a mainline FF game would be received more positively from other sites and not wanting to be the odd one out
- lol gaming reviews
- lol Cheat Code Central

pick one
or all

notworksafe

Haunted said:
- Square pays for the 8+, Square gets the 8+.
- Cheat Code Central anticipating a mainline FF game would be received more positively from other sites and not wanting to be the odd one out
- lol gaming reviews
- lol Cheat Code Central

pick one
or all
My guesses.

demigod

captain wow said:
Im pretty sure that 1.10 was the release day patch.
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/patch-11-07-04.html

Date there shows 11/07/04
game was released 11/23/04

so those changes were already in place by release

Thanks for digging that up. I did play the (paid)beta from FilePlanet but never used spirit healer so I didn't know about that change. I can't even remember if it was before or after that patch that I played in beta. It just goes to show that Dreamwriter is making shit up so he can look good. Hey I don't like WoW either but you guys that are saying WoW launch was horrible need to stop with your blatant lies.

twofold said:
No it didn't. Stop making stuff up.

The game wasn't majorly rebalanced in the first patch, either.

A quick glance at the patch notes shows that you're doing nothing but spewing out bullshit.

I doubt he's even played the game from the stuff he says.

Grampasso

Takuan said:
WoW bias confirmed. This isn't WoW, it's FF. I don't know why you would buy the game expecting the same experience as an unrelated game title.

I'm pulling your chain, brother :lol
Whatever you're trying to do, I bought the game HOPING it was a different game than WoW but compelling enough to keep me playing.
Disappointed it wasn't so. WoW players have high gameplay/mechanics standards and low visual expectations. That's the exact opposite of FFXIV.

Grampasso

Dreamwriter said:
You've never heard of "Rest XP"? At WoW launch everyone was complaining about it, you only get full XP for a certain amount of time, once that runs out you have to logout for a certain amount of time before you get it back. Sure, they call it a bonus, saying you get 200% XP for a while, but it's not really different from what FFXIV does, it's just called a different name, to make it sound better than "you get half XP after X time". At launch it was one of the big things people bitched about all over the place. People don't complain now, because it isn't really a big thing, just like most FFXIV players have realized that the system we have isn't that big a deal either.

Basically what I'm saying is, the same sort of things people are complaining about in FFXIV, happen in all MMO's, including WoW. Heck, look at WoW's first post-retail patch (1.10) - it basically rebalanced the entire game and fixed tons of bugs. WoW is a great example of the right game design and right way to market a game for exactly the right time, but wasn't this super polished experience at launch.
Have you ever actually played WoW? Do you know how much it takes to actually accumulate a reasonable amount of rested? It's not time played but experience you get doubled for KILLING MOBS, which means the one you get as a bonus for completing a quest doesn't get doubled but it pushes the rested threshold further. To get a whole level rested I think you'd need to stay out of the game for a week or maybe more. That's usually more than enough time to advance 5 levels with a moderate amount of time played everyday (in WotLK took me 2 weeks to go from 70 to 80 playing only the evening. People pushing seriously made it in less than 36 hours).
Now tell me you'd be able to do that in FFXIV :lol

squall211

I gave XIV a try, but the thing that's killing it for me is having to manually search every player to see what is available for sale......it's a joke and completely unforgivable that a more polished system for buying items and equipment wasn't in place at launch. I'll probably give it another try when the PS3 version launches, hopefully by then it'll be a more rewarding overall experience.

TheExodu5 said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Yeah that quote is just hilarious.

I can understand why people like FFXI nowadays, although it was a horrible piece of crap when it first launched that made mistakes that everyone else had figured out after 1999.

BUT it really still has problems. The fact that certain classes "aren't invited to EXP groups" which someone else just pointed out above shows that GOD NO IT IS NOT POLISHED.

I still remember being turned down even at low levels because "Oh god you are a XXXX and you don't have this XXXX armor set. Yeah sorry you are useless, go grind some more.

Effect

Druz said:
STO was HORRRIBAD Effect.
:lol No. STO I'll admit can be seen at it's start as overly instanced, repetitive (which I think is unfair since all MMOs are repetitive. That's what a lot of reviews held against it.), lacking content at the higher levels, ground combat was clumsy but by no means broken or anything, and to easy to level in with bugs here and there. Another problem was not being what people thought a Star Trek MMO should have been (in terms of excitement) though there are so many ways you could practically do this outside of going the SWG route I think. Reviewing what is said in reviews makes me believe that and I do think it had a play on how people saw the game in the end. That's valid though.. If you like ST or not determined how you looked at the story content as being good or not.

It was no in no way horribly bad though. It's UI didn't fight you or make the simplest task frustrating. It's design didn't ignore years of progress. The design was actually pretty solid overall if not want people were expecting. It set out to be the game it was designed as. Did that design hold people? No. However that doesn't make it a horrible game. Just didn't light the world on fire the way people hoped. Especially was no where near the area or level of fuck up that FFXIV is. It's reception while having mixed reviews was decent going by the OT here. As a game in terms of design and execution I think it was decent and far more solid compared to FFXIV and not a mess that FFXIV currently is. Like or dislike the game, that's fine. I completely understand why a lot of people didn't stick with it in the end. I myself got bored after a few months and stopped playing. I didn't leave because the game was broken or anything like that. Lets just not make crap up though.

TheExodu5

Banned
Dreamwriter said:

Seriously man? That patch was pre-launch. You're just making shit up.

Xilium

DaBuddaDa said:
Anyone who claims FFXI is now a polished, amazing, classic, super-fun awesome game either hasn't played it or is a complete fool. It's still quite a stinker in the opinion of most MMOers.

You know XI has like the 6th/7th highest subscriber base for an MMORPG right? Say what you want about the games polish or whatnot, but people are obviously having fun playing it.

Londa

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
Why are these delusional defenders still in this thread? Let them cool off mods please. Let them all enjoy waiting around to accept new quests together so everyone else can be happy!

translation: I don't want to hear anything but negative about this game. Anyone saying anything different should be dealt with.

Ecotic

Wow, ouch. I didn't even know FFIV was even close to being completed. How can something like this happen? Didn't Square-Enix hand off their valuable IP to a competent developer?

Khrno

DaBuddaDa said:
Anyone who claims FFXI is now a polished, amazing, classic, super-fun awesome game either hasn't played it or is a complete fool. It's still quite a stinker in the opinion of most MMOers.

And you can say that because you have seeing most of the content in XI, done all the different endgame events, completed all the missions, many quests and leveled up a few jobs to cap, right?

So is yours, and most MMOers opinion based after quiting the game at level 25 back in 2005, or just from sheer hatred towards FF or SE in general?

zlatko

Banned
I hit rank 20 pugilist today in FFXIV. I was able to do my third faction leve, my first class related leve, and continue with the story line quest. I of course dabbled in other things today like crafting leves and more battle leves, but the further you get into the game you don't find you have more things to look forward to...it seems quite the opposite.

Yes every 5 levels I get a story quest, but they are 1000000X worse than FFXI's. In FFXI by now with the same gameplay time I could've at least had the mission 2-3 dragon fight to let the game set itself up for some epicness. No real fights whatsoever,(few npc fights that I blind guy could've beat) and the story what started off hopeful in todays scenes felt bland. Literally todays scene dropped like a dump worth of "oh you're a special person with cool abilities, wanna help save the world?" It was just poorly dumped on you at once, and yet I've still to do anything worthy of this other than travel around watching cut scenes.

The quest for my pugilist was decent. Talk to a few NPCs, and then fight a gladiator in the colesium. Better than the everyday leves sure, but still a bit of a snooze. No challenge to it either, but the reward was great on the money side and points towards new abilities to purchase.

The third faction leve was the best part. I got to solo 10 Kobolds. I could have grouped, but that would've been crappier exp with how the games exp system is set up. While the quest was just go kill them I enjoyed the look of the beastmen and how they reminded me of Goblins from FFXI.
FFXIV_1286943717.jpg

Also a few images of the game:

FFXIV_1286846604.jpg

FFXIV_1286962107.jpg

I'm really not that hopeful, but maybe SE can surprise me with miracle patches. Right now it's just a grind fest with nothing to reward you for your effort at all.

Khrno

zlatko said:
The third faction leve was the best part. I got to solo 10 Kobolds. I could have grouped, but that would've been crappier exp with how the games exp system is set up.

You should check the Lodestone more often, specially after the maintenances and updates.

[Date & Time]
Oct. 8, 2010 at 10:00 (GMT)

[Affected Service]
-FINAL FANTASY XIV

[Important Update Details]
- Made an adjustment to how experience points are distributed amongst party members. Instead of dividing a total number of experience points by the number of players who participated in the battle, it now distributes the total amount of experience points equally amongst all players in the party.

Cmagus

I have yet to do a faction leve everytime I select it there is never an option for anything someone care to fill me in so I can start doing them

Khrno

The exp is still crap.

It's less crappier. And the fact is that it doesn't matter if you do leves on group or alone, you'll still get the same exp, you might get more skill points going solo tho, but exp will be the same as far as you fight the mobs.

DaBuddaDa

Khrno said:
And you can say that because you have seeing most of the content in XI, done all the different endgame events, completed all the missions, many quests and leveled up a few jobs to cap, right?

Seven level 75 jobs, three level 80 jobs (before I quit not a couple months ago), every single mission complete, all add-ons complete, member of top tier endgame linkshell, player since launch day. I have done literally everything there is to do in the game about 1000 times over.

Suck on it.

FFXI is still a very niche title that is polarizing in the MMO community.

Khrno

DaBuddaDa said:
Seven level 75 jobs, three level 80 jobs (before I quit not a couple months ago), every single mission complete, all add-ons complete, member of top tier endgame linkshell, player since launch day. I have done literally everything there is to do in the game about 1000 times over.

Suck on it.

Fucking hell dude, what the fuck where you doing playing an unpolished, not-fun, poor, shitty game for so long?

You are kind of an hypocrite. And I have nothing to suck on.

FFXI is still a very niche title that is polarizing in the MMO community.

Niche titles would like to get FFXI numbers alright.

But I do agree that it is really polarized, just for the fact that the MMO community that you said never gave the game a chance, so basically out of ignorance. And of course the game is more casual-friendly now, but who wants to start playing a 2002 non-wow MMORPG in 2010 anyway?

DaBuddaDa

Khrno said:
Fucking hell dude, what the fuck where you doing playing an unpolished, not-fun, poor, shitty game for so long?

You are kind of an hypocrite. And I have nothing to suck on.
Just because it's not polished doesn't mean it's bad or certain people can't have fun with it. I would never recommend FFXI to any of my fellow MMO players at this time. The main reason I played it for so long were the strong friendships built in game. 90% of the time it would be endless bitching about how what we were doing was unfair, unbalanced or boring, but goddamnit we did it anyway!

Zaptruder

Banned
zlatko said:
I hit rank 20 pugilist today in FFXIV. I was able to do my third faction leve, my first class related leve, and continue with the story line quest. I of course dabbled in other things today like crafting leves and more battle leves, but the further you get into the game you don't find you have more things to look forward to...it seems quite the opposite.

Yes every 5 levels I get a story quest, but they are 1000000X worse than FFXI's. In FFXI by now with the same gameplay time I could've at least had the mission 2-3 dragon fight to let the game set itself up for some epicness. No real fights whatsoever,(few npc fights that I blind guy could've beat) and the story what started off hopeful in todays scenes felt bland. Literally todays scene dropped like a dump worth of "oh you're a special person with cool abilities, wanna help save the world?" It was just poorly dumped on you at once, and yet I've still to do anything worthy of this other than travel around watching cut scenes.

The quest for my pugilist was decent. Talk to a few NPCs, and then fight a gladiator in the colesium. Better than the everyday leves sure, but still a bit of a snooze. No challenge to it either, but the reward was great on the money side and points towards new abilities to purchase.

The third faction leve was the best part. I got to solo 10 Kobolds. I could have grouped, but that would've been crappier exp with how the games exp system is set up. While the quest was just go kill them I enjoyed the look of the beastmen and how they reminded me of Goblins from FFXI.
FFXIV_1286943717.jpg

Also a few images of the game:

FFXIV_1286846604.jpg

FFXIV_1286962107.jpg

I'm really not that hopeful, but maybe SE can surprise me with miracle patches. Right now it's just a grind fest with nothing to reward you for your effort at all.

God! Why couldn't this game have been halfway decent?? It's too damn pretty not to make me feel pangs of regret.

Like a supermodel that's also a scientologist.

Khrno

DaBuddaDa said:
Just because it's not polished doesn't mean it's bad or certain people can't have fun with it. I would never recommend FFXI to any of my fellow MMO players at this time.

I would actually, since all the 75 content is irrelevant now, the game is yet to settle down once again, this is the best time to come fresh to FFXI, several amounts of content (even if endgame content is outdated due to new caps, there's lots of story to see and do), and a new level 85 won't be too far behind the old Adaberk elitists.

In my opinion, I did well quiting in 2008, I wouldn't have stood up with all this raise cap bullshit after so long, maybe if I had gotten the Beau and Xarc items from my Apoc, I would have shut it up and keep playing tho.

DaBuddaDa said:

I'm sure SE is crying all the way to the bank with their at least $4.5 million a month from the game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
DaBuddaDa said:

Its still got a solid, dedicated player-base 8 years on from launch, which puts it in rare company for the entire MMO field.

It needs no defending because it is a time-proven success.

And seriously, take your obnoxious sweeping statements elsewhere. Just because other people don't share your opinion it doesn't make them wrong or "complete fools".

TheExodu5

Banned
Khrno said:

So is yours, and most MMOers opinion based after quiting the game at level 25 back in 2005, or just from sheer hatred towards FF or SE in general?
I haven't done the end game, but I can tell you it's horribly unpolished.

Off the top of my head:

Cannot run the game at a resolution higher than 640x480 without hacking the registry. Cannot run the game in Windowed mode. 30fps cap. Even my 3.0GHz quad core and GTX 275 can't manage 30fps all the time. Also, no proper point to aim mouse controls. The mouse simply emulates an analog stick an it feels awful.

Although I can't remember specifics about the UI, I do remember it to be very unintuitive from the get go. I was also quite pissed off that there's no way to unsub without downloading the full game client. I formatted and later wanted to unsub, but I couldn't.

Unintuitive, unpolished mess is what I got from my 3 months of play time.

DaBuddaDa

Clear said:
Its still got a solid, dedicated player-base 8 years on from launch, which puts it in rare company for the entire MMO field.

It needs no defending because it is a time-proven success.

And seriously, take your obnoxious sweeping statements elsewhere. Just because other people don't share your opinion it doesn't make them wrong or "complete fools".
It is not opinion, it is fact. FFXI is not well respected in other MMO communities and looked down upon moreso than many. It is incredibly niche, and has held on to a very similar playerbase for a long time. It's been at or below 500,000 subscribers for years straight, never dropping far below it, but never growing any bigger. It is by no means polished and many of the game systems are broken and is still ruthlessly grindy for newcomers. If FFXI of 2010 came out in 2003, it would be a classic, but by 2010s standards FFXI is not a technically a "great game," and most people would hate it.

See: guy posting above me.

zlatko

Banned
Khrno said:
You should check the Lodestone more often, specially after the maintenances and updates.

Oh I'm aware they said they fixed exp, but it's a load of fuggin horse shit. :D

The formula they need to use is if you are X level, and fight a Y conning monster, then you should get Z exp. Rank 20 Pugilist, fight's a green con Dodo, then you should get 175 hand to hand skill points. (Something like that)

Instead I'll fight a leve's worth of 11 dodo monsters. Some give no h2h skill, others give 250-350. There's ones that just give 30 some. It's too damn random.

Now take that and put it into a group. The monsters are doing tons of damage, healers are working over time, DD are pounding away a ton, and yet the same crap occurs.

At least if I solo a leve I get all the monsters to myself and have more chances for high exp where if I share it my odds are lessened for good exp drastically. This is of course coming from a Pugilist DD, so idk who really benefits exp wise from group leves.(mages?)

Khrno

TheExodu5 said:

Off the top of my head:

Cannot run the game at a resolution higher than 640x480 without hacking the registry. Cannot run the game in Windowed mode. 30fps cap. Even my 3.0GHz quad core and GTX 275 can't manage 30fps all the time. Also, no proper point to aim mouse controls. The mouse simply emulates an analog stick an it feels awful.

Although I can't remember specifics about the UI, I do remember it to be very unintuitive from the get go. I was also quite pissed off that there's no way to unsub without downloading the full game client. I formatted and later wanted to unsub, but I couldn't.

Resolution what? You can set the backgrounds to 1028x1028, I think that's what you're talking about, in the registry you can set them to 2056x2056, maybe higher, and screen resolution you can't remember what were the default options but I'm 100% sure it wasn't 640x480.

You can play in windowed mode, officially. Do we really need more than 30 fps in FFXI? Maybe if you want to headshot in ballista or some stupid shit, but yeah, you won't never get 30 fps in Aerys at peak time, Dynamis, Besieged or in front of Aht Urghan AH.

Mouse sucks, if you can't really get used to the perfect keyboard only controls, or use a pad, then I won't say anymore, but if you give them a try, there's absolute no need for a mouse.

POL sucks, you got me there.

DaBuddaDa said:
It is incredibly niche

You pulling shit out your ass again. 500k~ subscribers (although they're probably less now, I agree, since the servers merger) making it a niche MMO? dozens of MMO games would love to be niche!

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
i played FF11 for two years. in some areas it was a mess but overall that game was awesome. easily on par with WoW to me. my problem is it became way, way too much of a time sink.

FF14, on the other hand, is complete garbage. Their best bet is to scrap this project now and pour some of these resources into a FF11 expansion pack.

Salaadin

zlatko said:
Oh I'm aware they said they fixed exp, but it's a load of fuggin horse shit. :D

The formula they need to use is if you are X level, and fight a Y conning monster, then you should get Z exp. Rank 20 Pugilist, fight's a green con Dodo, then you should get 175 hand to hand skill points. (Something like that)

Instead I'll fight a leve's worth of 11 dodo monsters. Some give no h2h skill, others give 250-350. There's ones that just give 30 some. It's too damn random.

Now take that and put it into a group. The monsters are doing tons of damage, healers are working over time, DD are pounding away a ton, and yet the same crap occurs.

At least if I solo a leve I get all the monsters to myself and have more chances for high exp where if I share it my odds are lessened for good exp drastically. This is of course coming from a Pugilist DD, so idk who really benefits exp wise from group leves.(mages?)

Mages get even less than melees when grouped for leves.

I think the confusion as to whether or not the XP has been fixed stems from the two systems in this game. Theres XP for your physical level and then SP for your job rank. I see others and myself referring to my job rank as a level or calling SP by the wrong name. I think when SE said they fixed "experience points", they meant your physical level XP. Who the hell knows with them though.

Few seem to have any issues with XP. In fact, its almost too easy to gain physical XP as everything that you do in the game gives it to you so youre always contributing to your physical level.

SP, on the other hand, is such a weird and inconsistent mess. Like you said, youll get 30 SP from a leve dodo and then 250 SP from the next. It reeks of the skill up party in FFXI whered youd basically wail on a mob and pray.
Like you, I find myself doing much better soloing leves and soloing mobs. It allows me to get the most hits in and gain the most SP.

Khrno

zlatko said:
Oh I'm aware they said they fixed exp, but it's a load of fuggin horse shit. :D)

Oh, your issue was with the Skill Points, not with the Experience Points. Should have made that clear, my apologies. Carry on :lol

Londa

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

Off the top of my head:

Yep, I thought that too until I tried the end game it changed my opinion. You can not say the endgame is messed up, until you try it. It takes a lot of player skill. If you are use to only exp parties and never tried anything else. Well yeah, end game isn't going to be your cup of tea.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
DaBuddaDa said:
It is not opinion, it is fact. FFXI is not well respected in other MMO communities and looked down upon moreso than many. It is incredibly niche, and has held on to a very similar playerbase for a long time. It's been at or below 500,000 subscribers for years straight, never dropping far below it, but never growing any bigger. It is by no means polished and many of the game systems are broken and is still ruthlessly grindy for newcomers. If FFXI of 2010 came out in 2003, it would be a classic, but by 2010s standards FFXI is not a technically a "great game," and most people would hate it.

See: guy posting above me.

Lets analyse this:

Respect is an opinion, not a fact.

Your analysis of general (unnamed and unscoped) MMO opinion, is an opinion of other peoples opinions. Not a fact.

Static subscriber base... well damn, how many MMO's have ever significantly enlarged their userbase 5+ years after launch. Especially when you consider half a million subscribers to be "niche".

Its not very polished? For a port of an 8 year-old PS2 game what do you expect? Its an OLD game.

Its still quite grindy, but that goes with territory. And compared to how it used to be... FoV, Signet bonuses, reshaped xp curve, xp bands, Level Sync, Mog Tablets/Bonuses etc... So much has been added/changed to make the game easier the difference between now and 2004 is like night and day.

Oh yeah, and as for the guy posting above you: Windowed mode has been available since 2007! 3 frickin' years, and this guys opinions are somehow valid and representative.

Try harder.

Raoh

Clear said:
Lets analyse this:

Your analysis of general (unnamed and unscoped) MMO opinion, is an opinion of other peoples opinions. Not a fact.

Static subscriber base... well damn, how many MMO's have ever significantly enlarged their userbase 5+ years after launch. Especially when you consider half a million subscribers to be "niche".

Its not very polished? For a port of an 8 year-old PS2 game what do you expect? Its an OLD game.

Its still quite grindy, but that goes with territory. And compared to how it used to be... FoV, Signet bonuses, reshaped xp curve, xp bands, Level Sync, Mog Tablets/Bonuses etc... So much has been added/changed to make the game easier the difference between now and 2004 is like night and day.

Oh yeah, and as for the guy posting above you: Windowed mode has been available since 2007! 3 frickin' years, and this guys opinions are somehow valid and representative.

Try harder.

well said..

DaBuddaDa

Clear said:
Lets analyse this:

It's a fact that other people hold larger negative opinions of the game than positive. It's playerbase would have grown over 5 years instead of stagnated.

A large subscriber base isn't an indication of the quality of the game, it's an indication of the dedication of its fans.

It is an old game, and by todays standards it's unpolished. If a game is 8 years old, it should be very polished, but it's not.

Being less grindy than it was doesn't make it not grindy. It's still more of a grind than many games which is why a lot of people dislike it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Londa said:
Yep, I thought that too until I tried the end game it changed my opinion. You can not say the endgame is messed up, until you try it. It takes a lot of player skill. If you are use to only exp parties and never tried anything else. Well yeah, end game isn't going to be your cup of tea.
Oh I'm absolutely not judging the game's quality at all. I was just contesting the idea that the game is anywhere near polished. Outside of performance and UI, it could very well be a great game. Truth is, I just haven't put enough time into it so I can't judge.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
demosthenes said:
I'm sure SE is crying all the way to the bank with their at least $4.5 million a month from the game.

WTF does that have to do with anything. :lol THE GAME SUCKS, BUT GOOD THING SE GOT OUR MONEY!!! HURRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Torquill

TheExodu5 said:

Off the top of my head:

You make some valid points, but these are not polish issues.

Limiting resolutions in the options menu to common current choices dictated by available card and monitor hardware is common. The options listed at release were reasonable for the time.

Locking to 30 fos is not unusual and is not a polish issue.

The UI, while cumbersome in that it didn't make use of keyboard and mouse well, was still well polished for it's (limited) design.

Can't argue the mouse. Was and is awful.

Also, it's sub numbers are not consistent with niche at the time of release. When launched it quickly overtook EQ as sub king. That's not niche.

Has it grown to become niche, perhaps, thi that's more to do with games comin out after that upped the ante.

LaneDS

Londa said:

You saying you can't dislike something until you try it is the height of irony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom