• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Reviews - GameSpot 4/10, GameTrailers 4.2/10, GameSpy 2/5, IGN 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Devoted fans of MMORPGs defy logic and make extremely poor arguments as usual!

If you're enjoying the game, then more power to you. That doesn't mean that many aspects of it are objectively worse than other similar products on the market.

Khrno

Wallach said:
Fitting as in you decided to contribute to its stupidity?

Got tired pages ago of trying to show people that there are good points on this game unlike some of the reviews actually fail to mention.

So yeah.

Balya

Rahxephon91 said:
If FFXIV is broke I can simply leave it as easy as pie.

Not so easy for the people who bought/built a new PC just to play this game, I guess.

OMFG I almost did that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Khrno said:
Got tired pages ago of trying to show people that there are good points on this game unlike some of the reviews actually fail to mention.

So yeah.

I think most people recognize that there is potential in FFXIV, but that its overwhelming amount of bad aspects prevent all but the most diehard of Final Fantasy fans from enjoying what might otherwise be fun.

Khrno

Balya said:
Not so easy for the people who bought/built a new PC just to play this game, I guess.

OMFG I almost did that.

Oh because a top of the range PC can't be used for anything else besides FFXIV.

OMFG.

Torquill

Balya said:

OMFG I almost did that.
Just as easy for them. I built a PC for this and I'm waiting. Still have the nice PC.

Khrno

I think most people recognize that there is potential in FFXIV, but that its overwhelming amount of bad aspects prevent most all but the most diehard of Final Fantasy fans from enjoying what might otherwise be fun.

That's perfectly fine. I haven't ever argued that the bugs, problems or flaws aren't that.

I'm just tired all of the trolling and idiocy of this thread, so gotta keep the amusement up.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Khrno said:
That's perfectly fine. I haven't ever argued that the bugs, problems or flaws aren't those.

I'm just tired all of the trolling and idiocy of this thread, so gotta keep the amusement up.

Granted I haven't read the entire thread, I don't think that pointing out the flaws in a game should be considered trolling. Pointing out and illustrating just how much of the needlessly expansive environment is just one big copy+paste job isn't trolling. Posting an image of a photograph and using the same method to (fail at) illustrating the same thing, however, I would consider a bit of a troll maneuver.

Balya

Khrno said:
Oh because a top of the range PC can't be used for anything else besides FFXIV.

OMFG.

YEAH MAYBE THEY SHOULD USE IT FOR CATACLYSM LOL

I would've had no other reason to own one, every other PC game I play runs fine on my laptop.

notworksafe

Londa said:
how long has that game been out compared to FFXIV?

FFXIV hasn't had an expansion yet. Thinking you going to get them to redesign (I'm not talking about UI fixes an other things, I'm talking about terrain, redesigning the world) a new game is like thinking you will get a whole new house because your window broke. It aint happening.
FFXIV should have had a world without a ton of copy/paste in the first place. We're talking about the first design, not a redesign.

Londa

Banned
notworksafe said:
FFXIV should have had a world without a ton of copy/paste in the first place. We're talking about the first design, not a redesign.

I don't see anything wrong with the terrain. Every other game copies and pastes. FFXI has copy and paste terrain too. same rock same hills, same trees, same rivers, etc. I guess I'm more realist. I didn't super high expectations. I don't over hype games, so I wont be disappointed.

Eccocid

Spire said:
Not really. It's a stale, mediocre game at it's core. It brings nothing new to the genre, assuming all the technical and design issues are fixed and game is given a huge boost in content (which won't happen any time soon), it'd just be a typical, run-of-the-mill MMORPG. FFXI's harsh solo environment at least created a unique atmosphere, FFXIV doesn't even have that going for it. It's a dull, boring game smothered underneath a mountain of terrible design choices, technical problems, and missing content.

I was hooked to that harsh solo environment of FFXI. It was the only MMORPG i had played which forced ppl to cooperate together almost all the time! And it was fun!

From what i heard and read FFIVX is more solo friendly and sounds more like other mmorpgs. I think i will skip it or at least wait for ps3 release.

notworksafe

Londa said:
I don't see anything wrong with the terrain. Every other game copies and pastes. FFXI has copy and paste terrain too. same rock same hills, same trees, same rivers, etc. I guess I'm more realist. I didn't super high expectations. I don't over hype games, so I wont be disappointed.
Unique terrain is an overly high expectation. :lol It's not like the world is so massive that they wouldn't have been able to come up with unique terrain features either.

Haunted

Khrno said:
copypasteq.jpg

Why can't mother nature be more inventive with how she designs the real world? God, what a lazy jerk!
Tagworthy post if serious.

Londa

Banned
notworksafe said:
Unique terrain is an overly high expectation. :lol It's not like the world is so massive that they wouldn't have been able to come up with unique terrain features either.

but yet you like a game that copy and paste to kingdom come in its new expansion (I have watched videos of it).

someone should do a circle map with that game. :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Londa said:
I don't see anything wrong with the terrain.

I am shocked. Shocked.

Londa said:
but yet you like a game that copy and paste to kingdom come in its new expansion (I have watched videos of it).

Link the videos.

notworksafe

Londa said:

If you're so sure, go right ahead. I'll be waiting for your proof.

EDIT: In before "I don't have to prove anything", her ignoring me, or her completely disappearing from the thread for a few pages for people to forget.

Haunted

Londa said:
I don't see anything wrong with the terrain.
Of course you don't.

Londa said:
Every other game copies and pastes. FFXI has copy and paste terrain too. same rock same hills, same trees, same rivers, etc. I guess I'm more realist. I didn't super high expectations. I don't over hype games, so I wont be disappointed
Well, having significantly lowered expectations is at least a partial explanation for why you seem to like this bad game. :lol

edit: also kids, remember! it's not so bad if a game has shitty elements if you can prove that other games have it too!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Londa said:

Obviously a lot of textures and small blocks and pieces will be reused, but for the most part you don't have huge blocks of exactly the same terrain like in FFXIV. It also doesn't help that FFXIV is relatively devoid of unique landmarks. The environment feels needlessly expansive and empty. Seriously, you would be completely lost in the game with no way to navigate if there was no map.

If you think every other MMORPG does this, then you are sorely mistaken.

Londa

Banned
I typed the game's name into youtube. Then I clicked search and watched the video.

Zefah said:
Obviously a lot of textures and small blocks and pieces will be reused, but for the most part you don't have huge blocks of exactly the same terrain like in FFXIV. It also doesn't help that FFXIV is relatively devoid of unique landmarks. The environment feels needlessly expansive and empty. Seriously, you would be completely lost in the game with no way to navigate without the map.

If you think every other MMORPG does this, then you are sorely mistaken.

you must be wearing rose colored glasses when you play that game that I'm talking about (if you do play it).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Londa said:
I typed the game's name into youtube. Then I clicked search and watched the video.

If you can find a video like this for WoW, or any other decent MMORPG, I'll be impressed.

Ferrio

Banned
Gravijah said:
We need to get Londa a trial of WoW. Seriously.

Doesn't matter even if we did. People are stubborn, they'll convince themselves to hate it because if they do otherwise then they have to admit they might be wrong.

Londa

Banned
notworksafe said:
Name all the MMOs you've played that have such massive pieces of terrain that are copy/pasted.

I already named one. Does it matter how many? All you have to do is search for images and videos of any MMO and see it without having to play the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Londa said:

you must be wearing rose colored glasses when you play that game that I'm talking about (if you do play it).

No, I do not wear rose colored glasses. The two MMORPGs that I have played the most are Everquest and WoW. Neither of those games feature copy+pasted terrain to the degree that you get lost and experience deja vu every minute or so.

Londa said:
I already named one. Does it matter how many? All you have to do is search for images and videos of any MMO and see it without having to play the game.

How about you link some specific examples if it's so easy to find them? There are more than enough of FFXIV in this very thread.

Londa

Banned
Zefah said:
If you can find a video like this for WoW, or any other decent MMORPG, I'll be impressed.

any gameplay video will show one type of building for the whole city while the player is walking around town. Any gameplay video will show the player going through the same shaped cave though out their play time, etc.

This game is worse than the clap, i can't believe you're still defending it.

We need to get Londa a trial of WoW. Seriously.

Already offered to play with her back in beta (i've not played it in a while myself), was willing to run her through Shadowfang keep as well.

i think she'd genuinely be mind blown. She's literally playing half a game in XIV.

DaBuddaDa

Londa said:
any gameplay video will show one type of building for the whole city while the player is walking around town. Any gameplay video will show the player going through the same shaped cave though out their play time, etc.
Can you find one for us? If they are all like that, certainly that won't be hard to do.

notworksafe

fizzelopeguss said:
This game is worse than the clap, i can't believe you're still defending it.
To be fair she's hardly defending it. Just throwing out blanket, vague statements without any way to back them up.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Londa said:

Ok. Stop saying "any" and link me one that you think illustrates what you are saying. Just one video or picture that shows that other MMORPGs copy/paste terrain to the same ridiculous extent as FFXIV. Just one.

Wallach

DaBuddaDa said:
Can you find one for us? If they are all like that, certainly that won't be hard to do.

Well, the cave thing is true in older WoW content (a lot of which is being removed with Cataclysm). There were not a ton of cave designs. Of course, caves aren't really the biggest deal compared to your entire overworld, but it's true enough.

Haunted

The defense cycle has reached "sad" again. Backed into a corner with nothing to show. :(

Even worse, even if she'd prove that WoW has repeated assets it would still make FFXIV a copy-pasting piece of shit. :(

Wallach said:
Well, the cave thing is true in older WoW content (a lot of which is being removed with Cataclysm). There were not a ton of cave designs. Of course, caves aren't really the biggest deal compared to your entire overworld, but it's true enough.

To be fair, FFXIV doesn't have any copy-pasted caves and buildings at all.

Balya

In my own personal list of issues with this game the terrain stuff is near the bottom, it's kind of whatever. The guildleve timer is what bums me out the most. I'd log in and do some locals right now if I wasn't stuck waiting until tomorrow for the reset.

Haunted

Balya said:
In my own personal list of issues with this game the terrain stuff is near the bottom, it's kind of whatever. The guildleve timer is what bums me out the most. I'd log in and do some locals right now if I wasn't stuck waiting until tomorrow for the reset.
Is that done to prevent powerleveling or what?

Seems like a terrible design decision, especially since the other activities the player is allowed to do (lol) seem like tedious grindfests at best.

iammeiam

Has anybody explained the logic behind this design issue?

That video has more or less convinced me SE is literally trying to see how many people they can get to pay for the privelege of beta-testing a PS3 game on the PC. There is no way a group of sane people designed and implemented that interface with the intention of making a good PC game; it's not even a particularly well-designed console interface, but it's just... wow.

(And, yes, WoW comparison in the vid. Sub in any other active MMO, though, and the comparison would likely still stand.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom