• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

I'm still having immense trouble getting into a game. I can't play it in the evening at all due to server congestion and queues and often even during the day I get crashes and d/c's. The game's been barely playable since Stormblood launched. Am I really the only one?

IvorB

Yeah, this is pretty tasteless.

If true, I feel that this wording is a lot more compelling than some fedora-tipping innuendo. It's clear that the FFXIV localization team is quite talented, but I think they've taken creative license a bit too far in some instances. This being one and
Midgardsormr in ARR
being the other.

They are way, way out with the "localisation". It's a constant source of irritation for me. Don't forget apparently changing the name of the goblin crew to the eye-roll-inducing 'illuminati' so that their actual symbols in game made no sense. I don't speak Japanese but even I can tell that what I am reading and what the character is saying are completely different a lot of the time. The whole translation vs "localisation" debate has been done a lot here though so probably no need to fire it up again.

The English localization has always been going some places.
When I complained about dick jokes in that New Year's quest nobody was on board!

The English localisation does... *ahem* suck but I'm okay with dick jokes in principle. :)

Dunkley

I just hope this is a temporary bandaid as they work on fixing AFK synths and Retainer Idling. Balmung, the server I play on, is just about the only realm on Aether where this is done excessively and it sucks every other world is affected by this.

But I mean, it's just a daily reset that they say will take 10 minutes, so I don't really mind it since I doubt they'll do it during prime times anyway where everyone would just come back to plop their characters at the Summoning Bell or just in a Synth again to reserve their spot for the rest of the day.

Another mechanic FFXIV needs from WoW, on top of the short tank CD thing, is the "debuff if unmitigated" pattern. This creates an actual element of skill for tanking that fits with the concept of tanking, rather than just being a simpler DPS. SAM's Third Eye is a really great example of what I mean.

I just started playing FFXIV coming over from WoW and I hate what they did to tanking. It's always been the least popular role and having to mash a bunch of short CDs to show your skill killed it for me. I get the idea but it just made it less fun and more stressful.

As a tank you're already the default leader, have to know all instance mechanics and at least in FF14 you have to work to hold threat. No wonder tank has insta queue.

As a new player I already have to read and watch videos on new instances while everyone else can largely pew pew their way through.

Sorian

Banned
I just started playing FFXIV coming over from WoW and I hate what they did to tanking. It's always been the least popular role and having to mash a bunch of short CDs to show your skill killed it for me. I get the idea but it just made it less fun and more stressful.

As a tank you're already the default leader, have to know all instance mechanics and at least in FF14 you have to work to hold threat. No wonder tank has insta queue.

As a new player I already have to read and watch videos on new instances while everyone else can largely pew pew their way through.

It's only work to hold threat at lower levels. When I see people falling at holding threat post level 50, I just assume they are brain dead.

It's only work to hold threat at lower levels. When I see people falling at holding threat post level 50, I just assume they are brain dead.

A lot of things have changed in Stormblood that makes it kind of difficult to hold hate as you used to. DPS like to resource dump at the beginning of the pull, and now they're tanking. Meanwhile, the other DPS goes for another mob, and the healer is dealing damage, too. Your standard 1 tab 2 tab 3 tab aoe repeat doesn't work all the time, anymore.

The swap to STR for damage again is likely to blame. They changed the enmity mechanics a little when they made the change the first time and it seems like they didn't change it back.

So now, in the early 60s, it kind of feels like I'm tanking Sastasha.

Silav101

Finally finished the MSQ. Wow. The final trial is a doozy, and the EX version of that will be amazing.

With regards to the story, I did not think SE could top the cutscene where you walk slowly towards Nidhogg while all around you people flee for their lives, with Dragonsong humming in the background as you phase into the Final Steps of Faith. That was an amazing moment in your journey.

But in the Stormblood ending cutscene,
as you walk with Lyse, meeting the leaders of the factions, the Scions and the others who made a difference; standing with them looking out at the soldiers and civiians in the country you have liberated, with the Ala Mhigan anthem swelling around you, and the banner being raised as all Eorzea stands, triumphant - strong and unified. Magic.

Unff.

A lot of things have changed in Stormblood that makes it kind of difficult to hold hate as you used to. DPS like to resource dump at the beginning of the pull, and now they're tanking. Meanwhile, the other DPS goes for another mob, and the healer is dealing damage, too. Your standard 1 tab 2 tab 3 tab aoe repeat doesn't work all the time, anymore.

The swap to STR for damage again is likely to blame. They changed the enmity mechanics a little when they made the change the first time and it seems like they didn't change it back.

So now, in the early 60s, it kind of feels like I'm tanking Sastasha.
You need better DPS then. I mean, I’m only in my early 60’s, but in my static party me and the other DPS learned long ago not to split the DPS between enemies, and to give the tank time at the beginning to get hate, and to start by targeting the first enemy the tank targets except in special circumstances such as bees, bombs, slimes. DPS needs to handle hate too.

Sure, with triplecast my BLM is gonna have potential for great hate quickly, but again, don’t lead with that in a fight, and if need-be follow it up with one of the new anti-hate role skills to lessen the impact.

Good to hear it gets better as right now it's pretty much spam flash til you run out of MP. I'm gonna try Marauder see if I prefer that style of tank.

Learning to play with a controller now too lol.

duckroll

Errrr... I'm a terrible DPS player and even I know that you should let the tank pull and get comfortable before rushing into attack shit. Are you telling me there are players worse than me? I refuse to believe it!

Seriously, square needs to stop playing and add some more damn hairstyles it's can't be that difficult to add a dozen or two instead of the measly amount they keep doing.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
That logout solution is bad for another reason - not all worlds are congested.
Just like with the area instances, they seem to be completely ignoring situation on each server to adjust it and are using blanket solutions instead.

Last weekend in the last zone, instances had like 20 people each...

walei

How do people who only have 2-3 hours a day to play to get geared up with Tome Gear now the DPS queue for roulettes is >45min -_-

Do you think YoshiP will address this issue now that he's wrong with the thoughts that tanks will stay tanks? Or is it going to be like this until 5.0 when they introduce Blue Mage tank.

Kusagari

How do people who only have 2-3 hours a day to play to get geared up with Tome Gear now the DPS queue for roulettes is >45min -_-

Do you think YoshiP will address this issue now that he's wrong with the thoughts that tanks will stay tanks? Or is it going to be like this until 5.0 when they introduce Blue Mage tank.

It will balance out after a month or so when everyone quits RDM and SAM.

It'll balance out. Also find a tank friend, it'll help a lot.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Finally finished the MSQ. Wow. The final trial is a doozy, and the EX version of that will be amazing.

With regards to the story, I did not think SE could top the cutscene where you walk slowly towards Nidhogg while all around you people flee for their lives, with Dragonsong humming in the background as you phase into the Final Steps of Faith. That was an amazing moment in your journey.

But in the Stormblood ending cutscene,
as you walk with Lyse, meeting the leaders of the factions, the Scions and the others who made a difference; standing with them looking out at the soldiers and civiians in the country you have liberated, with the Ala Mhigan anthem swelling around you, and the banner being raised as all Eorzea stands, triumphant - strong and unified. Magic.

Unff.

There's one thing I absolutely hate about that spoiler moment....

Alphinaud is there, but Alisaie, who did the real work this expansion, is sitting in some hospital bed somewhere.

iammeiam

Can't hear all of this MCH trash talk over the sound of my flamethrower.

OK, I'll wait two seconds for the mob to move slightly to your left or right and break the channel and therefore animation, then repeat.

It is nice that we get a free emote at 70, I guess.

In other news, I joined a Lakshmi learning group and cleared after four pulls- people were not kidding when they said she was easy.

Yeah; it's this weird combination of viril lasting forever, them giving you way too many viril refresh opportunities, and failing to do the mechanic just meaning your healers have to spam to keep people up fro a few seconds (outside of maybe the tankbuster.) It was never 'i am too pro for this fight'; it was always 'no guys 4real the fight is jokes.'

MCHs should honestly stop asking for things to be fixed bcause they'll just make it worse.

Nah; MCH out of all jobs is the most likely to just get some power level increases because the disparity is so straightforward. The real fallout is going to happen in 5.0; MCH is the only time I can think of them intentionally gutting a job and completely changing its core mechanic to try to appeal to people who don't play the job, and it's failing spectacularly., so they'll just do it again.

Like, MCH potencies being address is 90% going to happen. But if Omega turns out how I think, all they really need to do is halve the Barrel Stabilizer cool down because the actual DPS part won't matter and they just need to make the job less punishing. 60s Stabilizer helps immensely with job feel, which won't fix Optimal Meta but will fix the occurrences of "I hit one wrong button why is everything garbage for the next 30 seconds"

I dunno, I find current Machinist more confusing than upsetting largely because I'm convinced the damage thing will ultimately get addressed; I meant the earlier platypus comparison. You don't hate a platypus, you just kind of stare at it and go "okay no really how did this happen" The leveling experience is pretty awful but at cap a couple of tweaks to mechanics would make it a lot more fun to play.

kromeo

Tanking 60 dungeons now with a 60 pld is a lot harder work than it ever was before the expansion, it feels like tanking with sword oath on. It might just be that dps in higher level gear aren't scaling down very well, they never really have in this game

ebil

Started to level DRK and I'm amazed at the number of DPS (or even healers, thanks for that 180p Malefic 2 on that huge pull, I guess?) who just spam single target skills on 4+ targets and then Scatter for days on 2 targets.

Also, DRK feels kind of awful right now but I've heard it eventually comes together. Long road ahead.

Silav101

Tanking 60 dungeons now with a 60 pld is a lot harder work than it ever was before the expansion, it feels like tanking with sword oath on. It might just be that dps in higher level gear aren't scaling down very well, they never really have in this game

Once the pull clumps up Circle of Scorn > Flash x2/3 (depends on how confident you are) > Pop Hallowed / rotate through your cooldowns > Fight or Flight > Total Eclipse spam > Toss a Flash in once in a while

So far, no threat issues on anything. Gear matters, admittedly. Especially since they reverted the attack power calculations for tanks again.

I never leave Shield Oath for mass pulls, there's nothing to be gained and you don't generate enough aggro, or mitigation.

Thorgal

I've been leveling DRK lately and while I definitely feel I need to spam enmity moves more, I don't mind it really.

Adopt adapt and improve.

+ I generally refuse to put full strength on my right side save perhaps 1or 2 right now because.:

A I don't feel as DPS obsessive as some other tanks and b, tanks will eventually be forced to take the new accessoiries, kicking and screaming if need be

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I did a SB dungeon for the first time yesterday and was pretty psyched to see a mob model pulled right out of FF6.
dat whelk!

Robin64

I did a SB dungeon for the first time yesterday and was pretty psyched to see a mob model pulled right out of FF6.
dat whelk!

There's huge FATE boss version in the Ruby Sea, too. Drops an Orchestrion Roll. Sadly it didn't say
Gruuuuuu

Coming from past MMOs tanking was always a pact of sorts between the tank and DPS.

Tank has to be smart to establish threat but DPS shouldn't be making the job harder.

iammeiam

Strength accessories make you better at threat, though, which is kind of important, and since there are 0 HP checks in the game right now they don't make you a worse tank.

Speaking from the actual viewpoint of healing what's currently in the game, I'd vastly prefer tanks in STR because it decreases the odds overzealous DPS are going to pull threat and require me to split healing, while not actually forcing additional healing GCDs. VIT accessories don't help me at all.

Like, the fundamental problem with the 270 STR accessories is they make you a flat-out better tank and will continue to do so for a crazy number of iLevels. The only reason not to use them is stubbornness (in theory Omega could add an HP check, but it seems super unlikely to be an issue outside world prog and even then Minne + Conva + Mantra +shield unless the mechanic ignores shields.) The last time they did this jumping around with tank damage stats and AP, pentamelded i150 slaying fell behind the current-tier VIT gear for damage fairly quickly and so everyone moved on. That's not going to happen here for a long-ass time. Spamming enmity moves when there's a gearing option out there that natively boosts threat in and out of tank stance isn't really adapting.

Started to level DRK and I'm amazed at the number of DPS (or even healers, thanks for that 180p Malefic 2 on that huge pull, I guess?) who just spam single target skills on 4+ targets and then Scatter for days on 2 targets.

Also, DRK feels kind of awful right now but I've heard it eventually comes together. Long road ahead.

My understanding is it comes together at 70 so enjoy that leveling process.

and the biggest surprise leveling Bard was realizing Ballad was crazy OP starting at level 60; I think a lot of people took the AOE nerf as 'all AOE is bad now, just single target everything', because when matched with another Bard in DF I'd see relatively few RoD's or Quick Nocks, and when multi dotting was usually not running into dots other than my own.

PowerTaxi

Banned

I know it's not really a great solution but play PvP for now. 50 tomes a match and the queue is sub 5 minutes usually.

Errrr... I'm a terrible DPS player and even I know that you should let the tank pull and get comfortable before rushing into attack shit. Are you telling me there are players worse than me? I refuse to believe it!

Yesterday I pugged with a guy who pulled every encounter before me, the actual tank.

I should have let him die but I just can't bring myself to do that.

ebil

My understanding is it comes together at 70 so enjoy that leveling process.

and the biggest surprise leveling Bard was realizing Ballad was crazy OP starting at level 60; I think a lot of people took the AOE nerf as 'all AOE is bad now, just single target everything', because when matched with another Bard in DF I'd see relatively few RoD's or Quick Nocks, and when multi dotting was usually not running into dots other than my own.
Yeah, that's my understanding as well. :<

Sad times but I really like the concept behind The Blackest Night and the job seems to not be the broken mess I had anticipated so I'm leveling it first over PLD.

I've seen all of 2 BRDs using RoD or Quick Nock at all while leveling AST, and I've had a shitload of BRDs.

kromeo

Strength accessories make you better at threat, though, which is kind of important, and since there are 0 HP checks in the game right now they don't make you a worse tank.

Speaking from the actual viewpoint of healing what's currently in the game, I'd vastly prefer tanks in STR because it decreases the odds overzealous DPS are going to pull threat and require me to split healing, while not actually forcing additional healing GCDs. VIT accessories don't help me at all.

Like, the fundamental problem with the 270 STR accessories is they make you a flat-out better tank and will continue to do so for a crazy number of iLevels. The only reason not to use them is stubbornness (in theory Omega could add an HP check, but it seems super unlikely to be an issue outside world prog and even then Minne + Conva + Mantra +shield unless the mechanic ignores shields.) The last time they did this jumping around with tank damage stats and AP, pentamelded i150 slaying fell behind the current-tier VIT gear for damage fairly quickly and so everyone moved on. That's not going to happen here for a long-ass time. Spamming enmity moves when there's a gearing option out there that natively boosts threat in and out of tank stance isn't really adapting.

Such a stupid design, hopefully they either change older accessories to be role specific or change it back to vit scaling

Shahed

I very highly doubt Omega, or much of anything after will have such a high HP check in that it will force current STR tanks to switch to full Fending. Because if they make it so the best players can't afford STR and need the HP to survive, then the average player or bad tank won't be able to survive. It's easier to keep a good STR tank in their DPS stance alive than a bad HP tank who sits in their Tank stance. They need that buffer to allow the lesser players to be able to complete content, but that will automatically give leeway to bettwr players to use more STR or to forgo tank stance.

I mean I understand why they might want Tanks to do less damage. For end game content, the difference between average players and good players was felt more strongly on tanks and healers in comparison to DPS. There's a big skill gap in all classes, but Healers and Tanks who knew how to use their utility and also DPS properly made a world of difference in fights, and I'm not sure they want that

OK, I'll wait two seconds for the mob to move slightly to your left or right and break the channel and therefore animation, then repeat.

Years of tanks doing literally everything in their power to keep mobs out of Bishop's range have prepared me for this! Nothing fazes me anymore!

k1t4j

Man I just saw the A4s chest piece for Monks and do you guys know if SAM can use it? That shit looks dope.

How hard is A4s to do these days, unsync?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Such a stupid design, hopefully they either change older accessories to be role specific or change it back to vit scaling

It's an oversight/laziness.
I don't know if it's technically viable to forcefully unequip gear from people with a patch, but it sure as hell should be viable to recode how Weakness debuff works so that you don't have to backpedal on tank damage calculation.

It's weird.

Man I just saw the A4s chest piece for Monks and do you guys know if SAM can use it? That shit looks dope.

Yeah SAM can equip anything a MNK can equip.
Given that people should be doing roughly 3 times the damage people were doing in A4S on content, it's probably not hard at all.

kromeo

Also, after levelling sam a bit I finally feel monk's pain on positional attacks. It's fine for bosses but trash pulls everything's changing direction every 2 seconds while the tank dodges aoes

Moaradin

All Monk gear (except for the AF stuff) should work with SAM, so yes.

A4s will be really easy to just go in unsynced and rush it down. People were already doing that towards the end of Heavensward, so it should be super easy at level 70.

iammeiam

Role-locking old gear is the bad kind of fix; it's "we see you found a way to make things more enjoyable for yourself THIS SHALL NOT STAND."

If they're going to role lock 270 STR accessories, they should also maybe make Tenacity not a stat that somehow manages to be worse than Parry (And They Said It Couldn't Be Done!)

We'll all shield it up with Minne anyway. AST/WHM/BRD meta, here we go.

At this point I need to find enough people to do BRD/MNK/WAR buff stacking and then see what AB and Adlo look like. A lot of the buffs they added seem to kind of assume you won't see certain jobs paired together too frequently.

Years of tanks doing literally everything in their power to keep mobs out of Bishop's range have prepared me for this! Nothing fazes me anymore!

"I'm going to level AST first! No more triggering me by dragging the packs away from AOE turret, then moving them back to the original spot as soon as I replace him!"
8 levels of tank running out of earthly star and positioning the mobs right outside it as I am slowly consumed by rage

I'm still having immense trouble getting into a game. I can't play it in the evening at all due to server congestion and queues and often even during the day I get crashes and d/c's. The game's been barely playable since Stormblood launched. Am I really the only one?

Are you on one of the highest population servers? Because the super high population servers (like Balmung) are the only ones I hear of that still have congestion issue/queues. I'm on a lower population server and the worst I run into is like 30 person queues. Also I haven't really had issues with 90k for about a week.

MogCakes

Yeah kicking all of Ultros off at once despite us only having 20 to 30 person queues will fix everything! Nothing bad could happen from that......nope....

kromeo

Yesterday I pugged with a guy who pulled every encounter before me, the actual tank.

I should have let him die but I just can't bring myself to do that.

Friend in my fc literally just sits down and watches them die if they pull stuff early, makes me laugh every time

"I'm going to level AST first! No more triggering me by dragging the packs away from AOE turret, then moving them back to the original spot as soon as I replace him!"
8 levels of tank running out of earthly star and positioning the mobs right outside it as I am slowly consumed by rage
I wouldn't mind as much if the taNK WOULD FUCKING SIT IN THE AOE HIMSELF SO AT LEAST HE GOT HEALED

It's not only worse than RDMs that sit at fucking max range and don't get card buffs

Top Bottom