• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Were they also running away from you when they aggroed everything?

Sometimes. At first I thought he just wanted bigger pulls, because I admit I'm a fairly deliberate tank and tend to deal with things one encounter at a time rather than pulling as many mobs as I can. But he was even pulling encounters when there were no other mobs around to grab.

Friend in my fc literally just sits down and watches them die if they pull stuff early, makes me laugh every time

See, I should do this, but for some reason I can never bring myself to.

yaffi

You really should. Show them who's boss. They'll learn, or they can go back to sitting in the queue for 45 minutes.

Omni

I hated STR tanks in 3.0 and I hate it now

As a healer, I just find it stupid when I find myself having the same amount of HP as a tank. Or god forbid, more. It just means more micro healing and more stress that I have to deal with because someone at SE thought it was a good idea to mess things up for no reason. STR and VIT weighted .45 equally was perfect. Yes, I'm having Thordan PF PTSD here.

Also the fact that i270 STR acc will be best in slot for tanks until at least oh I don't know. Probably 5.0 is just ridiculous.

adversarial

Started to level DRK and I'm amazed at the number of DPS (or even healers, thanks for that 180p Malefic 2 on that huge pull, I guess?) who just spam single target skills on 4+ targets and then Scatter for days on 2 targets.

Also, DRK feels kind of awful right now but I've heard it eventually comes together. Long road ahead.

I'm 64 atm, loving it. There's a lot of management necessary, and I like that it isn't just spam some enmity attacks and fall asleep. The interplay between the "stances" and Dark Arts is sick. Stoked for 70 and tanking actual content.

It was kind of lackluster until I hit 60 tbh, though. I hated getting scaled down when running the regular dungeon roulette.

Sylas

I'm gonna be real salty if the 10 minute logout system doesn't fix anything for prime time players on high pop servers. Considering how messy the queues got specifically between 4-11pm EST while being incredible lax before that, I want to say that the AFK folk weren't necessarily the biggest issue. I guess we'll see over the next few days! If the issue really is just waiting for people to unsub/stop playing the game I'm probably gonna wind up being one of those people.

The moving incentives aren't really all that great considering one of the reasons Balmung exploded as it has is because it was THE server to go to if you wanted to roleplay. The community is attempting to start another roleplaying community on other servers but it's already splitting up due to miscommunication or general unawareness or an unwillingness to get along. I wish they'd just open up a totally new server and put the RP label on it. That way if people want to roleplay they know they can go to that server and the people that want nothing to do with roleplayers can avoid that specific server. I think that would go miles towards solving the congestion issue. That and a better housing compensation.

Gold_Loot

Let me ask a question about Stone Sea Sky ( Susano and Lakshmi Ex )

I have an ilevel 303 SAM and I'm having trouble passing these trials for some reason. No matter what I do, I fail the trial with 1% to 3% remaining. I know I have the basic rotation down as well as buffing kenki abilities between GCD attacks. Something's up but I'm not sure what. I'm thinking it's my opening perhaps?

Anyone have any good advice or video guides that worked for them?

kromeo

I'm gonna be real salty if the 10 minute logout system doesn't fix anything for prime time players on high pop servers. Considering how messy the queues got specifically between 4-11pm EST while being incredible lax before that, I want to say that the AFK folk weren't necessarily the biggest issue. I guess we'll see over the next few days! If the issue really is just waiting for people to unsub/stop playing the game I'm probably gonna wind up being one of those people.

Meh if nothing else it will at least force people being selfish to have to queue up like everyone else

Omni

Side note

I'm genuinely surprised at how great WHM feels to play right now. Got AST to 70 first but am levelling WHM as a secondary job. Really sucks about the raid utility but it's a damn fun class to play. Its mana management with Thin Air, 60 second Assize, 180 second Bene, and an extra ticking Lucid Dreaming is such an improvement over the 3.x version

All of this. Being an AST is suffering
As an AST as well main I must also echo Aeana and say this is maximum privilege. We are the favored healer class at the moment.

That said yes RDM I'm grouped with quite frequently miss out on buffs because of their bouncing around and being out of range so I've switched my habit of applying the AoE buffs on the tank to applying them to myself to make sure everyone gets it.

Tiops

I wouldn't mind as much if the taNK WOULD FUCKING SIT IN THE AOE HIMSELF SO AT LEAST HE GOT HEALED

It's not only worse than RDMs that sit at fucking max range and don't get card buffs

Considering that Verholy and Verflare are instant casts, there really is not reason for the RDM to stay far away from the group after a displacement lol.

I mean, we have to use Displacement, it causes damage. But it's easy to return to the party stack.

After watching so many tanks reposition the second Asylum goes down because that blue bubble of healing looks scary, I kinda stopped bothering.

iammeiam

Meh if nothing else it will at least force people being selfish to have to queue up like everyone else

They're logging off entire datacenters at the same time.

If you're on podunk middle of nowhere Aether server, you now get to enjoy trying to get back into the game while all of Balmung and Gilgamesh are going HAM on the lobby server. This doesn't seem like an upgrade.
Rolling logoffs would make a ton of sense, but they won'd do in part because it would screw up anything DF'd together. So they're just going to surprise logoff entire servers even though, by their own admission, only 3 NA servers really had a problem with being consistently 'full'.

k1t4j

It's an oversight/laziness.
I don't know if it's technically viable to forcefully unequip gear from people with a patch, but it sure as hell should be viable to recode how Weakness debuff works so that you don't have to backpedal on tank damage calculation.

It's weird.

Yeah SAM can equip anything a MNK can equip.
Given that people should be doing roughly 3 times the damage people were doing in A4S on content, it's probably not hard at all.

All Monk gear (except for the AF stuff) should work with SAM, so yes.

A4s will be really easy to just go in unsynced and rush it down. People were already doing that towards the end of Heavensward, so it should be super easy at level 70.

Great I know what I'm doing this weekend then :D

ebil

I'm 64 atm, loving it. There's a lot of management necessary, and I like that it isn't just spam some enmity attacks and fall asleep. The interplay between the "stances" and Dark Arts is sick. Stoked for 70 and tanking actual content.

It was kind of lackluster until I hit 60 tbh, though. I hated getting scaled down when running the regular dungeon roulette.
I should have mentioned that I had DRK at level cap before 4.0. I'm comparing it to that. The management aspect has been dumbed down considerably to the point that it does feel braindead. I know that it eventually gets better though so there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Let me ask a question about Stone Sea Sky ( Susano and Lakshmi Ex )

I have an ilevel 303 SAM and I'm having trouble passing these trials for some reason. No matter what I do, I fail the trial with 1% to 3% remaining. I know I have the basic rotation down as well as buffing kenki abilities between GCD attacks. Something's up but I'm not sure what. I'm thinking it's my opening perhaps?

Anyone have any good advice or video guides that worked for them?
Wait, buffing kenki abilities? You should only
use kaiten for midare setsugekka and higanbana unless you are using aoes too.

kiyomi

Are there any good guides on playing AST post 4.0? I'm really interested in the class but have no idea on it.

Also any recommended hotbar/macros/keybind setups for it?

Does Kaiten work on the Higan DoT?
Yes. Both the upfront damage and the dot.

My opener is Kasha combo > hagakure > gekko combo > kaiten > higanbana > meikyo shisui > yukikaze > guren > gekko > kasha > kaiten >midare setsugekka. Dump kenki with shinten or seigan but always make sure you have 20 kenki when you are going to kaiten something; that is every time you use midare or higanbana.

My opener is Kasha combo > hagakure > gekko combo > kaiten > higanbana > meikyo shisui > yukikaze > guren > gekko > kasha > kaiten >midare setsugekka. Dump kenki with shinten or seigan but always make sure you have 20 kenki when you are going to kaiten something; that is every time you use midare or higanbana.
Holy shit lol. I expected Kaiten to only apply to the hit, that's pretty good

Luminaire

Are there any good guides on playing AST post 4.0? I'm really interested in the class but have no idea on it.

Also any recommended hotbar/macros/keybind setups for it?
It's hard to make a guide for healing as there's no real rotation. You really just want to be both proactive and reactive, know who to throw cards on, what abilities to hold, and really just have a grasp on the entire fight so you learn where to set off your nuke heal and where to throw stars at the enemy while managing your MP.

Knowing what your cards do would be the first thing to look into.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I still don't get the issues people are having with mana on sch in 4.0. I've had times where I made a mistake like an idiot died rezed and was back to half or full mana pretty quickly.

The only time you would ever have mana issues is if you are spaming adlo or succor and to that I say stop being bad that's always destroyed mana ever since 2.0, also if people are not doing an energy drain here and there then stop being stingy with your aether. Aether plus energy drain gives back near 4k atm

The fairy tether is amazing for giving you extra space to dps as well.

kromeo

I'm guessing you get other moves that generate kenki? Because at 58 there's no way to always have 20 ready unless you throw in an enpi or an extra combo sometimes

ebil

I still don't get the issues people are having with mana on sch in 4.0. I've had times where I made a mistake like an idiot died rezed and was back to half or full mana pretty quickly.

The only time you would ever have mana issues is if you are spaming adlo or succor and to that I say stop being bad that's always destroyed mana ever since 2.0, also if people are not doing an energy drain here and there then stop being stingy with your aether. Aether plus energy drain gives back near 4k atm
They're not used to the new flow of having to use Lucid Dreaming and having to be more efficient with Aetherflow. It was weird at first but I have 0 MP issues as SCH.

I'm guessing you get other moves that generate kenki? Because at 58 there's no way to always have 20 ready unless you throw in an enpi or an extra combo sometimes
Kenki Mastery 2 at 62.

At 62, i believe, hakaze and shifu/jinpu give 5 each, and gekko/yukikaze/kasha give 5,10 if you hit positionals. Enpi also gives 10 at that point.

My opener generates 90, 20 for both kaitens and 50 for hissatsu guren.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
They're not used to the new flow of having to use Lucid Dreaming and having to be more efficient with Aetherflow. It was weird at first but I have 0 MP issues as SCH.

The post of people on the official forums and reddit saying they want to get rid of Lucid Dreaming for SCH and get the 10% lost on Aether flow back is funny to me as well. I dont think people REALLY understand how good having that and even 10% aether together is.

A lot of people are downplaying the level 68 trait as well. It's absolutely ridiculous if it procs even once.

Aesthet1c

I played DRK up to 60 before SB. When I tanked I stayed in Grit the entire time. Was I playing wrong? I see people mentioning dropping Grit to do other attacks, but I don't know if that's the proper way to play or if that's the people stacking strength.

R0ckman

I played DRK up to 60 before SB. When I tanked I stayed in Grit the entire time. Was I playing wrong? I see people mentioning dropping Grit to do other attacks, but I don't know if that's the proper way to play or if that's the people stacking strength.

It doesn't matter, depends on who you play with, I get people nagging if I'm in or I'm not (purposely), but it seems in 4.0 the game is nudging you to stay in Grit.

iammeiam

So the fundamental tank stance thing is that the defense/enmity boost is only any good if you're getting anything out of it. There are generally a lot of situations where you'll have a decent threat lead and not be getting hit that hard on average, and can safely leave Grit for a while.

The end-endgame meta in HW was largely treating Grit like another defensive CD--you pop it when you need the extra defense, drop it when you don't (which is most of the time in raid content.) It takes time to get accustomed to, but the general idea is if you're going to tank for a long time you want to get familiar enough with all the pieces of the kit and all the tradeoffs involved to know when you do or do not need them.

It's not a thing to focus on while leveling, necessarily, but given that once you've established a threat lead and figured out where to cooldown to not die there's not really a lot of tanking stuff left, figuring out the minimal tank stance/max deeps stuff usually ends up being the only avenue for long-term growth.

AwShucks

It only took to halfway through Stormblood, but I finally got one of those dungeon runs where I received a ton of the gear. Feels good.

adversarial

I hop in and out to use various abilities, only if I know I won't be getting smashed by a tankbuster or any frequent low-gcd succession of attacks. It's fun. Is it the "proper" way? No clue, and don't care until I hit the legit end-game end-game content. All I've ever done is tank in MMO's and I'm enjoying it immensely so far. More-so because everyone I've talked to shits on DRK and compares it to trash. I think I'm doing fine.

Razmos

I had a really fun time yesterday healing the 70 MSQ dungeon.

The tank was still using level 60 gear and was squishy as hell and pulling way more than they should have, and the 2 DPS were both Black Mages who were pulling aggro and then telling me not to heal them and focus on the tank.

They also ignored every chest despite me needing gear

Aesthet1c

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm almost 70 SAM, then after that I was going to start focusing on my DRK. Looks like I'll try exploring dropping grit here and there and see if I can have more fun with the class. I got pretty bored with it at 60.

R0ckman

The tank was still using level 60 gear and was squishy as hell and pulling way more than they should have, and the 2 DPS were both Black Mages who were pulling aggro and then telling me not to heal them and focus on the tank.

What the hell kind of PUG?

MogCakes

Sprinting into battle is awesome as dps. Now we actually look like we're charging in instead of the liesurely jog we had to deal with before.

yaffi

Same thing a said about tanks earlier. Let them experience how far they get without healing.

scy

I should have mentioned that I had DRK at level cap before 4.0. I'm comparing it to that. The management aspect has been dumbed down considerably to the point that it does feel braindead. I know that it eventually gets better though so there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Yeah, just to chime in on this a little late but 60-70 is pretty meh since the sequencing is off for skills. Delirium as your only Blood Spender and then Quietus for AoE (when you're probably not pulling too large in DF dungeons) and then BP/BW generating Blood AND THEN Bloodspiller makes for an awkward leveling process. Maybe it feels better with MSQ to break things up for people who did 60-70 via the MSQ but it's this awkward slowly feeding you the Blood system and the abilities for it but it takes 75% of your leveling playtime to get there. And then you finally get TBN and you think back to all the leveling and go "WHY WEREN'T YOU THERE"

Losing Reprisal, Low Blow, Low Blow resets, etc. was a thing but I will say that BW active means DRK is now oGCDing Dark Arts constantly. You rarely have an empty GCD window without it at that point? I just treated it like switching out all my old oGCDs for smashing Dark Arts more. I personally don't mind the MP change too much but I also didn't DRK that much in 3.X vs WAR specifically due to it so I may be the target audience of the change anyway.

SAM really opens up at 62, you get Kenki Mastery and every skill in your combos give 5 kenki + combo positionals. Giving you more kenki to play with.

ONE

OF

THE

BEST

FINAL

BOSSES

EVER

!!!!!!!!

OMG I can't wait. Omw to home, let's see how effective are the anti-queues measures lol

ebil

Yeah, just to chime in on this a little late but 60-70 is pretty meh since the sequencing is off for skills. Delirium as your only Blood Spender and then Quietus for AoE (when you're probably not pulling too large in DF dungeons) and then BP/BW generating Blood AND THEN Bloodspiller makes for an awkward leveling process. Maybe it feels better with MSQ to break things up for people who did 60-70 via the MSQ but it's this awkward slowly feeding you the Blood system and the abilities for it but it takes 75% of your leveling playtime to get there. And then you finally get TBN and you think back to all the leveling and go "WHY WEREN'T YOU THERE"

Losing Reprisal, Low Blow, Low Blow resets, etc. was a thing but I will say that BW active means DRK is now oGCDing Dark Arts constantly. You rarely have an empty GCD window without it at that point? I just treated it like switching out all my old oGCDs for smashing Dark Arts more. I personally don't mind the MP change too much but I also didn't DRK that much in 3.X vs WAR specifically due to it so I may be the target audience of the change anyway.
Yeah now that I have Delirium it's a lot of Dark Arts! GCD Dark Arts! GCD Dark Arts! GCD Dark Arts! C&S. I initially thought that Syphon Strike being DA enabled was a trap but when I realized that it was the exact same potency gain I figured they did this just so that we could vent MP better. I miss Scourge (and its animation and sound effect) and old Reprisal and they nerfed Passenger into near irrelevance but I'll live for that sweet Blackest Night.

I must say that Darkside no longer wearing off is an amazing QoL change though. I'm not saying DRK is the worst thing ever and I'm sure I'll enjoy it at 70 but so far I'm just going through that grieving phase.

Rosur2a

Started playing this thanks to NoClips docs, level 12 Gladiator atm gonna make a Paladin when get to 30.

The 100 % xp bonus for being on a new realm is nice, where is good place to find guilds and guides for leveling up professions etc?

Top Bottom