• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

duckroll

Stormblood is a 10/10 expansion to me. It builds on everything Heavensward improved from ARR, it brought new things to the table, it had exciting Solo Duties, pretty dungeons, fun bosses, and the most exciting and satisfying story boss battle to date. The ending is conclusive, it doesn't leave you hanging like 3.0 did, and all the teasers at the end are simply that - teases which get you excited for upcoming patch content rather than feeling the need to see the "end" of the story.

For a story about the liberation of Doma and Ala Mhigo, it delivered exactly what it promised in a tight and focused way. There were cool villains, badass designs, and everything had serious effort put into it. Zenos is the most purely evil human villain in FFXIV and something I think we really needed after a bunch of "maybe they're not so bad deep inside" baddies.

If there's one complaint about the game, it would be that the Samurai isn't a tank class because goddamnit fuck these DPS queues. LOL.

Luminaire

Stormblood is a 10/10 expansion to me. It builds on everything Heavensward improved from ARR, it brought new things to the table, it had exciting Solo Duties, pretty dungeons, fun bosses, and the most exciting and satisfying story boss battle to date. The ending is conclusive, it doesn't leave you hanging like 3.0 did, and all the teasers at the end are simply that - teases which get you excited for upcoming patch content rather than feeling the need to see the "end" of the story.

For a story about the liberation of Doma and Ala Mhigo, it delivered exactly what it promised in a tight and focused way. There were cool villains, badass designs, and everything had serious effort put into it. Zenos is the most purely evil human villain in FFXIV and something I think we really needed after a bunch of "maybe they're not so bad deep inside" baddies.

If there's one complaint about the game, it would be that the Samurai isn't a tank class because goddamnit fuck these DPS queues. LOL.
When did you start / how long have you been playing?

Agreed all around. Those first 50 hours in early access nearly ruined it for me though. The problem cleared up just as I was about to say screw it.

scy

Yeah now that I have Delirium it's a lot of Dark Arts! GCD Dark Arts! GCD Dark Arts! GCD Dark Arts! C&S. I initially thought that Syphon Strike being DA enabled was a trap but when I realized that it was the exact same potency gain I figured they did this just so that we could vent MP better. I miss Scourge (and its animation and sound effect) and old Reprisal and they nerfed Passenger into near irrelevance but I'll live for that sweet Blackest Night.

Yup; new DRK is basically just treating DA as +140 potency on your next GCD which made it a lot easier to deal with the loss of the other oGCDs. Blood Weapon phases are practically infinite MP to the point of DRK feels the most rewarded for stance dancing at basically any level. Ironically, maybe. Blood Price being as bad as it is right now is kind of a thing.

Forever salty at no Scourge animation, though. So far I'd say it feels a lot more streamlined but I don't think my activity level has dropped that much in terms of casts per minute and that was my greatest fear going into leveling it. No real serious content to tackle with it so only so much I can say about it @70 that isn't "why is Shadow Wall still 180s how did this happen" or that I wish TBN lasted slightly longer so I didn't have to face the depressing realization that it's actually really hard to take ~8.5k damage in 5 seconds.

Panda Rin

Hey everyone - I haven't played in 2 years and would like some guidance on how to get back into it.

1. I'm living in Vietnam right now. What's the SEA best server with a decent English community? I'd like to be able to have an FC with some chill people.

2. I remember only getting to Hard Mode Garuda then stopped. How hard is it or how much of commitment is it to get to the end-game content at this point. Any grind?

WHew,
Shinryu had quite a lot going on.
Our DF group only managed to clear it with less than 2minutes on the clock. I feel so inadequate, when everyone is currently whining how easy new trials are, even EX versions... and here I am, just barelly getting through final fight of the MSQ

kromeo

My complaint is the same as the original game and HW, for now there's very little to do once you reach the level cap. It's fine as long as they don't leave a massive gap before the first content patch like they did after HW launch

Feeroper

So I am playing through this game properly now, but haven't played through it before so I started from the bottom. I have just got to the first instanced dungeon (Sastasha Seagrot) - seeing as this is all from ARR and most people are likely in the Stormblood content presently, how likely am I to find a group to play this with the Duty Finder? I'm on Gilgamesh which is a packed server but not sure how easy it will be for this low level stuff.

I'm excited to get into it, as I've really enjoyed the story & presentation thus far, just hoping im not blocked for too long if there is no one playing this - doesn't help that I am a lancer I imagine as DPS is usually plentiful in most MMO's.

This will be my first grouped dungeon in FF14 so I will probably not be as effective as someone who has run it a number of times before - any tips for how I should tackle this one?

Aeana

So I am playing through this game properly now, but haven't played through it before so I started from the bottom. I have just got to the first instanced dungeon (Sastasha Seagrot) - seeing as this is all from ARR and most people are likely in the Stormblood content presently, how likely am I to find a group to play this with the Duty Finder? I'm on Gilgamesh which is a packed server but not sure how easy it will be for this low level stuff.

I'm excited to get into it, as I've really enjoyed the story & presentation thus far, just hoping im not blocked for too long if there is no one playing this - doesn't help that I am a lancer I imagine as DPS is usually plentiful in most MMO's.

This will be my first grouped dungeon in FF14 so I will probably not be as effective as someone who has run it a number of times before - any tips for how I should tackle this one?

You should find a group eventually, because people use the duty roulette regularly which gives them a bonus. This matches them with a random duty that other people have queued for.

As for the dungeon itself, it's extremely easy. You don't need to prepare.

Beartruck

I just noticed this game has a free trial up to level 35. Thinking of rolling lalafell. Heard the game is very dps heavy right now. What would be a good class to lean into?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

The game has it set up so people that cleared stuff get rewarded for doing old stuff through roulettes so people are always doing all the basic dungeon and trial stuff

As far as tips go just the standard follow the tank typically attack his target stuff. Make sure you read your abilities and get a good understanding how each one works for melee position on certain attacks matters a lot

Oops I guess I meant to say "weaving" kenki attacks between GCD's.
Ok. Well, suffice it to say, you should prioritize kaiten, dump with shinten unless guren is coming off cooldown. Keep buffs up and meikyo shisui on cooldown, even when yoy have sen already,unless you have 3 already,hagakure is on cooldown, etc.

Meicyn

Gold Member
So whats a decent server replacement for Balmung. I cant do the 4k qs anymore.
I can say that I saw an FC yesterday on Mateus that is grabbing Balmung refugees. I switched to Mateus a week ago and have seen a dramatic uptick in the playerbase. The server population is nowhere near Balmung but is definitely healthy. It's also become the new RP server alternative since Balmung is locked.

The market board is far from mature however. Don't count on it being well stocked like it was on Balmung. That being said, with the market not being mature, it's opened up a lot more options for my crafter since there is considerably less competition.

Oh yeah, and there's housing available in The Goblet, and plenty of apartments. There'll probably be plenty of houses to buy in Hingashi once that opens as well. I'm making a ton of money selling dye and alchemy glamours, something I definitely couldn't do on Balmung.

Server queue shows up at prime time, but it's usually under 100.

Long story short, glad I switched.

Luminaire

I think it was February? Lol.
Wow, that's recent! I'm glad you enjoyed the expansion. I'm not sure if it's the game being accessible to new people or if you're just crazy, but it's nice to see how far you progressed in such a short time. I've been playing since 2.0 and have enjoyed every bit of the game, save some final patch lulls prior to an expansion. This expansion really shines and I'm excited to see what 4.x brings. Hopefully more people take a chance to see what FFXIV is all about.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Tried to do Shiva Ex for my Tales book after coming back to to the game after not playing it for 22 months. Man I really forgot the mechanics.

So at this point in the game, how does the unsync work? How many people do you realistically need for these ARR primals to beat?

I still need to do all the content; primals, dungeons, and raids that I missed doing from Heavensward Patch 3.1 to 3.5.

kiyomi

I just noticed this game has a free trial up to level 35. Thinking of rolling lalafell. Heard the game is very dps heavy right now. What would be a good class to lean into?

If you want fast queues, a tank or a healer will be your best shot. The variant of which doesn't really matter until much later in the game.

I don't really agree that the expansion is perfect. Big spoilers and whatnot... They really ruined the moment in the
post credit scene with Gosetsu and Yotsuyu alive which made Doma's freedom kinda worthless, imo. Like, I could identify with the Domans and why they wanted freedom but that whole scene after the credits was something entirely stupid.
How did they survive? I mean as a player that scene made them look dead. I know if you talk to the npc they say they can't find the bodies but still. It's just a terrible off putting moment and made all the work we did look like shite. I dont even agree on fantastic villains either. Fordola is terrible, Zenos I saw coming from a mile away,
and Yotsuyu was evil for the sake of being with the empire. We haven't seen any great villains in this expansion at all.

Everything else I can probably agree with.

I wouldn't worry about the queue times, play what you like and you will enjoy the game more. Most of the classes are pretty friendly to new players so it is really just about finding a class you mesh with and then enjoying the journey. Once you hit level 16 you can unlock palace of the dead where you can bring alts and level them quickly inside to get a feel for them to see if you would like leveling them in the main world.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Tried to do Shiva Ex for my Tales book after coming back to to the game after not playing it for 22 months. Man I really forgot the mechanics.

So at this point in the game, how does the unsync work? How many people do you realistically need for these ARR primals to beat?

I still need to do all the content; primals, dungeons, and raids that I missed doing from Heavensward Patch 3.1 to 3.5.

Most ARR primals are decimated unsynced(meaning you fight them with current stats and abilities upwards 20 levels above them if 70). Can easily shred Shiva to bits with a minimum team in possibly a minute. Titan and Garuda as well.

Only Ramuh, ifrit, and especially Leviathan require respect as their wipe mechanics still remain. Those fights demand patience more so than dps or other role needs. You can burn them down so fast, but it will trigger a fail state for the group, so dancing through their mechanics are still required with a light touch on dps, but only those three(and it's still easy once everyone knows the trigger points).

Plenty of unsynced groups usually active in Party Finder. Use that for these over duty finder.

Omni

I'm interested to see how 3.x primals and whatever behave when unsync'd

I heard that you can't build LB3 when doing a12s now for the phase transition

TheTux

I don't really agree that the expansion is perfect. Big spoilers and whatnot... They really ruined the moment in the
post credit scene with Gosetsu and Yotsuyu alive which made Doma's freedom kinda worthless, imo. Like, I could identify with the Domans and why they wanted freedom but that whole scene after the credits was something entirely stupid.
How did they survive? I mean as a player that scene made them look dead. I know if you talk to the npc they say they can't find the bodies but still. It's just a terrible off putting moment and made all the work we did look like shite. I dont even agree on fantastic villains either. Fordola is terrible, Zenos I saw coming from a mile away,
and Yotsuyu was evil for the sake of being with the empire. We haven't seen any great villains in this expansion at all.

Everything else I can probably agree with.

Yotsuyu was evil because she got abused as a child, the game made a good job explaining that imo.

I also don't understand how the fact that she and Gosetsu are still alive ruins the whole story, I'm actually waiting for the next updates to learn something more about them. How did they survive? Well, how was Gosetsu keeping an entire building on his shoulders? He's strong, that's why.

Stuart444

RDMs: What is your aoe rotation?

Currently I just do Scatter (sometimes scatter into dual into swift scatter), use contre on cooldown and use mouli whenever I get 90 in both mana

Is it better to use Scatter -> Single Target VerAero/Thunder to build mana faster for more moulinet or is it better to just do what I've been doing?

duckroll

The Stormblood villains are good because they're comic book villains. It's something that FFXIV has lacked since the original Garlean bosses in ARR. And even then, they were barely characters. In Stormblood they took the martial arts and eastern theme for the story and made a few well designed villains who look distinctive, are cool, totally evil, and who act as rivals for key story characters - including Zenos as a rival for yourself. I think that worked out really well. In the end, sometimes it's not about having a complicated character or a deep personality, but just having a badass punching bag with cool attacks and fun battles.

Where Heavensward felt heavy with regards to the morality of everything that went on, Stormblood is a pure feel good action story. I appreciate it for that.

ebil

Currently I just do Scatter (sometimes scatter into dual into swift scatter), use contre on cooldown and use mouli whenever I get 90 in both mana

Is it better to use Scatter -> Single Target VerAero/Thunder to build mana faster for more moulinet or is it better to just do what I've been doing?
- 3 targets: Scatter > Aero/Thunder (switch targets to even out HP and hate, or switch to priority targets)
- 4+ targets: Scatter spam

Then it's build to 90+, Enchanted Moulinet x2, Scatter to 45+ Black/White mana, Manafication, Enchanted Moulinet x3

Ikkarus

Honestly I've found scatter works pretty well on its own and just chain dual casting on it then if I need to mop up a bit then use moulinet when it's enchanted.

Yotsuyu was evil because she got abused as a child, the game made a good job explaining that imo.

I also don't understand how the fact that she and Gosetsu are still alive ruins the whole story, I'm actually waiting for the next updates to learn something more about them. How did they survive? Well, how was Gosetsu keeping an entire building on his shoulders? He's strong, that's why.

It ruins the whole part of Doma, not the whole story. He's strong but got shot 3 times in the chest, coughing blood, and was holding a gigantic piece of debris. As for Yotsuyu... they gave us that scene where she's a child flashback and then we assume she's killed. There's not enough backstory for me to identify with her.

Shahed

From the expansion structure itself, my only real issue is tuat I felt Azim Steppe lasted way too long. The dungeon and solo duties are good, but too many quests that didn't feel necessary. Other than that I think the MSQ of Stormblood is brilliant.

However as a Tank main I really hate what they did with the whole VIT/STR thing and the i270 Slaying Accessories. That is just a shit show and an utter mess. Any tank worth their salt woukd could have seen what would happen a mile off, and it's gonna cause an utter pain for healers with bad tanks who'll copy the bandwagon because the Internet told them STR accessories were good.

PS. Shake it Off is so bad. Can't eevn heal a random paralyze when I wasn't paying attention. Is curing Heavy the only use for this move?

ebil

- 3 targets: Scatter > Aero/Thunder (switch targets to even out HP and hate, or switch to priority targets)

Then it's basically build to 90+, Enchanted Moulinet x2, Scatter to 45+ Black/White mana, Manafication, Enchanted Moulinet x3, Contre de Sixte on CD obviously.

Moaradin

spoilers

And it's not like Gosetsu surviving completely comes out of nowhere either. It's clearly established like immediately after his "death" that he might still be alive. Soraban looks for a body and doesn't find anything, which then he says he might have went through the river, which is exactly what happens. Yotsuyu still being alive is really the only shocking part, but it makes perfect sense why Gosetsu would save her. His entire story arc is about atoning for his past sins.

Gold_Loot

Ok. Well, suffice it to say, you should prioritize kaiten, dump with shinten unless guren is coming off cooldown. Keep buffs up and meikyo shisui on cooldown, even when yoy have sen already,unless you have 3 already,hagakure is on cooldown, etc.
Alrighty. I'll give it some practice when I get off Thanks.

Luminaire

It ruins the whole part of Doma, not the whole story. He's strong but got shot 3 times in the chest, coughing blood, and was holding a gigantic piece of debris. As for Yotsuyu... they gave us that scene where she's a child flashback and then we assume she's killed. There's not enough backstory for me to identify with her.
There was also the spousal abuse and being treated like property by her "fellow" domans.

Regardless, the rule of FFXIV story is this: if there is no body, they didn't die. Even if there is a body, they might have just been asleep.

Bowlie

Banned
I did Ravana and Bismarck EX the other day for birds (got them both!), and they died in 3 and 4 minutes each.

It's just that long because they have long animations/transitions; when it was time to actually hurt them things were *fast*.

Regardless, the rule of FFXIV story is this: if there is no body, they didn't die. Even if there is a body, they might have just been asleep.

The GRRM way.

spoilers

And it's not like Gosetsu surviving completely comes out of nowhere either.

He endured gun shots, and hundreds if not thousands (because it was a damn castle) of kilos on top of him for minutes. It's not about his body not being found, it's about him being a normal living being. And if he barely had strength to hold those walls, how did he get them off him

iammeiam

2-man Ravana should be doable this tier; it might be now, but I legitimately forgot how the fight post-adds works so I need to go back and figure out if the 40k I ate was avoidable or if I need to get junk accessories to meld VIT on.

The worst part of the tank DPS nerfs are how much it screws up trying to tank/healer anything.

Stuart444

Then it's build to 90+, Enchanted Moulinet x2, Scatter to 45+ Black/White mana, Manafication, Enchanted Moulinet x3

Huh, I had just used enchant mouli 3 times (rather than 2 times you mention there), since I am still getting used to manification. I'll have to keep this in mind for next time.

TheTux

Username checks out /s

Did you get so much burned with Luna/Stella that you just have to hate Yotsuyu? lol

I should have mentioned that I had DRK at level cap before 4.0. I'm comparing it to that. The management aspect has been dumbed down considerably to the point that it does feel braindead. I know that it eventually gets better though so there's light at the end of the tunnel.

DRK almost plays itself at this point. Leveling it sucks though because of what you are missing and Blood Price was significantly nerfed.

You'll be pelvic thrusting the air inbetween most of your GCDs though and Blackest Night is probably one of the most satisfying tank CDs to use in this game once you get it.

Beartruck

I wouldn't worry about the queue times, play what you like and you will enjoy the game more. Most of the classes are pretty friendly to new players so it is really just about finding a class you mesh with and then enjoying the journey. Once you hit level 16 you can unlock palace of the dead where you can bring alts and level them quickly inside to get a feel for them to see if you would like leveling them in the main world.
To be honest, im interested in playing now because they finally added red mage which is my favorite FF class, but I imagine that there are a lot of RM's running around right now. >_>

eliza0224

I finished the story and I don't know what to do. I feel like trying healer or tank, but my occasional lag could cause a wipe :(
Any suggestions?

kaioshade

The entire thing with
Gosetsu in the building
was one huge throwback to FF6 with
Sabin holding up the building in the world of ruin

The Stormblood villains are good because they're comic book villains. It's something that FFXIV has lacked since the original Garlean bosses in ARR. And even then, they were barely characters. In Stormblood they took the martial arts and eastern theme for the story and made a few well designed villains who look distinctive, are cool, totally evil, and who act as rivals for key story characters - including Zenos as a rival for yourself. I think that worked out really well. In the end, sometimes it's not about having a complicated character or a deep personality, but just having a badass punching bag with cool attacks and fun battles.

Where Heavensward felt heavy with regards to the morality of everything that went on, Stormblood is a pure feel good action story. I appreciate it for that.

I agree wholeheartedly. I always argue with my wife about characters and villains. Not every villain needs some long backstory to explain why they are the way they are.

iammeiam

I finished the story and I don't know what to do. I feel like trying healer or tank, but my occasional lag could cause a wipe :(
Any suggestions?

How bad is your lag, and how frequently is occasional? If we're talking fifteen seconds of can't do anything every few minutes, it might be a problem, but if it's just that your GCDs are a little slow I wouldn't worry too much, and if it's a fairly rare occurrence people are usually cool about it. If you start a tank or healer from 1, you'll get very slowly eased into it. Sastasha can be run at-level without a tank or without a healer (healer-tanking Sastasha is a time honored tradition when DF tanks bail), so lag shouldn't cause a wipe. You can get a feel for it and go from there?

Edzi

Any WAR mains here that can give me their SB patch change impressions since its been out for a while now? There's been a lot of negativity, but after trying all 3 tanks (just got Paladin unlocked, have DRK to 60 before the SB changes) I still feel the most attached to WAR since I ran ARR with it. I'm only lvl 60 though and haven't really played with it much post patch since I've been busy leveling other classes, so I'm interested to hear what someone with more experience has to say.

As an aside, AST is a blast. I didn't think I'd like the card mechanic this much, but I'm still constantly forgetting to actually draw.

ebil

Huh, I had just used enchant mouli 3 times (rather than 2 times you mention there), since I am still getting used to manification. I'll have to keep this in mind for next time.
It's okay to do it this way! What I posted is simply the best way to leverage Manafication in AoE situations to take advantage of your Embolden (or any buff/debuff) window. RDM AoE is easy and flexible enough that you can adapt it on the fly depending on how much longer you expect things to live if you have some pull awareness.

Username checks out /s

Did you get so much burned with Luna/Stella that you just have to hate Yotsuyu? lol

I knew you'd say that. Haha...

I don't hate her... more like I feel she was uninteresting. She started off with a great reveal but then it went downhill for me. I thought she'd have a different motivation but it was obvious she was Zenos's lapdog after he pulled her hair. I just thought.... she was boring after that.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

There's no real difference when to use Moulinets and how much in a row since they always do the same damage, so consider the size of the pack and how long they're gonna live - but even that doesn't matter very much because it's totally okay to just open the next with three or four moulinets (although watch the aggro).

Embolden buffs Enchanted Moulient so don't forget about that.

Top Bottom