• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Bowlie

Banned
Twice now I've been surprised at this game seeming to acknowledge past events. Like with Tataru visiting the arcanist trainer and them recognizing that I am a high level arcanist, and knowing Yugiri from post ARR and the dialog with
becoming a ninja
. Maybe the game's just fooling me with that second one, but just one instance of this happening stuck with me. With how important story is to FF14, it feels like they've done a rather great job at not making questing or leveling another class be a giant time-traveling mess, like a certain other MMO.

Same thing happens with Y'mithra when she appears in the story if you are a Summoner, it's rad.

Just bought and downloaded the game. Ironically a recent episode of McElroys Monster Factory on Polygon made want to try it. And my wife and I have a week with a lot of free time. Excited that this game has done as well as it has considering the start.

Item Box

hTbxtlG.png

how did this name get through

VandalD

They tend to throw in a line for a bunch of stuff like that- the RDM starting quest dialogue changes based on your progression through the new expansion. HW DRG quests change based on your progression through that expansion, the quest to get AK hard will notice if you levelled WHM, and one of the new 70 dungeons acknowledges if you made an awful mistake and levelled MNK by accident.

Same thing happens with Y'mithra when she appears in the story if you are a Summoner, it's rad.
That's all pretty great. I'm glad to know there's more of that. I've making my way through HW now when I'm not leveling other jobs, and that made me wish I was also a dragoon. I didn't like that they took out cross class skills, as I thought it made leveling other jobs less rewarding, but knowing that the story actually reacts to your job quests, even if it's just a few lines of dialog, makes me want to work on them all again.

Alex

I think they've said that they don't want to do anything like Arcanist > Scholar/Summoner split again.

I wouldn't mind some way to diversify roles though.

Like in Tera as a Warrior you could queue as a DPS or queue as a tank if that's what you mean.

Yeah, I don't actually expect them to do that. Which is why I was confused they even kept the original classes in the game after the revamp. They serve absolutely no purpose and it feels dumb to look at various interfaces and see needless clutter or oddball contrasts like Conjurer next to Red Mage.

XIII and XIV 1.0 trying to eschew their own franchise trappings was always goofy and that is a thing that should just be forgotten.

Trying to work in a few hybrids would be nice though. Maybe based off of marginal jobs that could be paired to mainline. Berserker, Mystic Knight, Geomancer, Time Mage, etc. Maybe just do one or two at a time, over time, to alleviate problem areas. I don't feel like every jobs needs a second role though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah, I don't actually expect them to do that. Which is why I was confused they even kept the original classes in the game after the revamp.

Outside of the scope of the dev time, I imagine. They'll have to go back and redo a lot of things so it's another expansion level overhaul.

Alex

Outside of the scope of the dev time, I imagine. They'll have to go back and redo a lot of things so it's another expansion level overhaul.

This is what I imagine, as well, I remember someone talking to Yoshida in an interview about revamping ARR areas for flying and I disliked that even being brought up. Anyone who experienced Cataclysm will tell you what an absolute waste of time that is unless something is truly ailing.

Although, I don't think that'd be too big of an undertaking, pruning base classes that is. The biggest part would just be adjusting quest texts. Either way, it isn't a big deal but it also a bit of an obvious change so think it's something that could go either way in the future.

Haly

Anyone who experienced Cataclysm will tell you what an absolute waste of time that is unless something is truly ailing.

I liked Cataclysm a lot, and much of my criticism of FFXIV stems from the fact that Yoshi and gang don't really go back and prune enough for my post-Blizzard tastes.

Mankrik ;~;7

Brain dead from partaking of her life and her love.

Still need to sing in the chaos.

They tend to throw in a line for a bunch of stuff like that- the RDM starting quest dialogue changes based on your progression through the new expansion. HW DRG quests change based on your progression through that expansion, the quest to get AK hard will notice if you levelled WHM, and one of the new 70 dungeons acknowledges if you made an awful mistake and levelled MNK by accident.

I've been leveling NIN (and MNK) before doing Stormblood, as I'm fairly certain their quest lines will be referenced. Should I work on any other quest lines? I got really lucky being a DRG going into HW, it made Estinien showing up all the better.

B.K.

I think I'm not meant to do extreme primals. I'm just not good enough at the game. I keep wiping everyone in Susano because I can't get the timing right on the damn bubbles. I've gone through two learning parties so far and I've been past the sword just a few times.

Finally got around to beating Stormblood, watching the credits roll, because that's how I roll. Last dungeon and final boss were fun. Though I felt HW final boss had more of an impact, I'm left with a little sense of "huh... it's really over."
Then I saw the cliffhangers... hoo boy.

For the patch stories I sure hope they don't over exert like they did in HW, too many plots and some were rushed
like the Warriors of Darkness

Man it's going to be hard to pick a main. I've gotten MUCH better with Samurai and want to give MNK a ride to 70, despite all the complaints I've been reading online. Not sure what to main, guess it depends if I really want to raid or not.

Dresden

The 60~70 DRK questline owns. Not even mad about TBN being a level 70 ability now. Well, kinda, in that maybe at least bloodspiller should come much earlier.

I guess it's time to burn roulette xp on my mch.

iammeiam

I think I'm not meant to do extreme primals. I'm just not good enough at the game. I keep wiping everyone in Susano because I can't get the timing right on the damn bubbles. I've gone through two learning parties so far and I've been past the sword just a few times.

Like the churn countdown dice thing with the bubble debuff?

Or popping orbs during the sword?

MogCakes

Story spoilers endgame

God Lyse did fuck all. And she took my credit! And Zenos died in the stupidest way possible. Why can't SE just give us the damn kill? And stop with this 'fuse into giant monster' crap, let me run the bastard through with my spear in human form. His whole spiel about the echo was a neat footnote in lore but the way they executed it was a complete waste of Shinryu. The scale of everything that happened has felt incredibly small and at the moment it's as if a couple lopsided skirmishes won back a couple towns, whoop-de-doo!

At least the xaela are cool. Azim Steppe was by far the best thing about this expansion.

Also after the final trial, I may switch mains to PLD. If fights going forward are as mechanic intensive as that or more, then staying DRG might take a toll on my sanity. I can't count the number of times I lost my eye stacks in that fight because of mechanics.

R0ckman

Story spoilers endgame

God Lyse did fuck all. And she took my credit! And Zenos died in the stupidest way possible. Why can't SE just give us the damn kill? And stop with this 'fuse into giant monster' crap, let me run the bastard through with my spear in human form. His whole spiel about the echo was a neat footnote in lore but the way they executed it was a complete waste of Shinryu. The scale of everything that happened has felt incredibly small and at the moment it's as if a couple lopsided skirmishes won back a couple towns, whoop-de-doo!

At least the xaela are cool. Azim Steppe was by far the best thing about this expansion.

Also after the final trial, I may switch mains to PLD. If fights going forward are as mechanic intensive as that or more, then staying DRG might take a toll on my sanity. I can't count the number of times I lost my eye stacks in that fight because of mechanics.

I absolutely hate in stories with a character villain trope that wants a challenge
but when they finally meet their match they decide to fuse with a monster or something. Its essentially putting in cheat codes or setting a handicap. No gimmicks, just a damn one on one brawl with your default powers against mine would have been more satisfying. If they wanted a full party fight, let me seriously wound the dude and in his last dying strength summom the beast, saying that its his final gift to you as a "friend".

I finally got to Idyllshire and just hit level 60 with my Paladin. Went from ilvl 137 and 13.9k HP to ilvl 269 and 34.4k HP. Feels good.

I bought a DRK potion since I want to hit things with a big sword though I have no idea how to actually play the class. Any tips? *better yet what should I use to pull a pack or 2 as a level 60 DRK. whats the rotation.
I hear Abyssal Drain is just better than Unleash. I feel like I should just stay in Grit as I just run Duties for the first time via MSQ/ duty roulettes. Also whats the best way to regain MP. This Dark side dancing and Dark Arts using is foreign to me.

Haly

You know those "5 hours of" videos where they just loop a single clip of weeaboo shit?

Well I just went through "5 hours of SusieEx wipes". Not ONE CLEAR this whole fucking day.

SRTtoZ

Oh god I don't know what I just did but I haven't played in forever and was browsing amazing trying to see what I wanted to use my $200 gift card on so I thought why not and got Stormblood and a 60 day gametime code. RIP.

Now to continue my BLM on Ultros or try a different server hmm.

B.K.

Been doing Susano Ex for close to three hours and the closest I saw was 18%. Went through three different groups on it and didn't clear once.

Holy shit that bait and switch was great,
"Ugh... Ravana Ex, tired and I don't feel like doing that right now before bed. i'll just go set it up befo.... oh"

Haly

Everyone dead except one SAM.

SAM gets gaol'd.

Higanbana finishes off Susie at 1%.

happytears.gif
happytears.gif
happytears.gif

(Doggo dropped, but I didn't get.)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, we were looking at census stats in FC chat, and a few things stood out to me when I compared it to the last FFXI census (which sadly was 2014. They don't seem to do them anymore)...

mWiw4bI.png

TaruTaru was a LOT more popular than Lalafell. I joke about Taru being superior (they are), but the big difference in distribution surprised me.

Another big difference. Male/Female character ratio. Was nearly even in FFXI, but in FFXIV it's 58% male.

my guild wars 2 jumping skills are just too good

this is the furthest i got

If you made it to that ledge, you've made the hardest jump in the puzzle (that one).

Top Bottom