• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

erawsd

I've come to ruin Dragoon gauge for you all.
See this ?

9hielvzu2u6z.png

A bad ass dragon gauge, with this evil eye. Now... Imagine that bar is a mouth. Actual dragon head is an ear. Eye is... well, an eye, and awesome rad tail... is just a droopy long nose. There, have a derpy dragon for a gauge!

picture borrowed from a redditor, for it's the best example I could get ona short notice. pls don't sue

Honestly, before I read anything you wrote I saw a droopy beaked bird. I didn't notice the dragon on the left until you said it.

iammeiam

I can't even be mad at SAM. I never fully understood what people meant by bards constantly jumping everywhere in dungeons in ARR. I'd wide volley around sometimes, but SB is introducing me to the "jumping around the entire room constantly" Bard.

And despite their constant movement, they still eat avoidable AOEs

Bards are a menace.

Squishy3

I can't even be mad at SAM. I never fully understood what people meant by bards constantly jumping everywhere in dungeons in ARR. I'd wide volley around sometimes, but SB is introducing me to the "jumping around the entire room constantly" Bard.

And despite their constant movement, they still eat avoidable AOEs

Bards are a menace.
it's ok bards machinists, red mages and black mages, i didn't want you to have battle litany anyway

Having completed the story I must say I didn’t care much fo Lyse.
She didn’t do anything really but was practically the forefront character beside your WoL which had me confused. She’s such a jobber. Also I’m sad at how the Scions keep dwindling, the WoL joining seems to have been their downfall lol. Lastly I loved Zenos, I really enjoy villains like that. Where they feel a kindred to the player character.

Wonder where they go from here.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Having completed the story I must say I didn’t care much fo Lyse.
She didn’t do anything really but was practically the forefront character beside your WoL which had me confused. She’s such a jobber. Also I’m sad at how the Scions keep dwindling, the WoL joining seems to have been their downfall lol. Lastly I loved Zenos, I really enjoy villains like that. Where they feel a kindred to the player character.

Wonder where they go from here.

Well

Without the WoL, the Scions might have lasted, but might have also all been killed by now. They weren't big enough to take on the events "WoL" has done. Most of them couldn't even get near a primal (Minfillia and Krile might be the only 2). So it all might have ended back with Titan/Ifirit/Garuda. So either they're dead, or not making much of a difference.

Alex

The DPS queues at cap are pretty wild, well over an hour on Primal, I don't think seen anything quite that bad and I've been playing MMOs since Ultima Online.

Despite that, I'm not really surprised. Red Mage and Samurai are extremely fun and Tanks/Healers didn't really get much exciting. The only bit that confuses me is that I've seen more whining about AST and PLD than actually asking for QoL passes on the rest. That is Blizzard style design, nerfing things that are largely fine to make the worse off look better. You don't want that.

I still lament that we got a combat system revamp and Red Mage without any hybrids or alt-specs added. I would love to be able to heal on a Red Mage, well outside of failing PUGs, that is. But, I always wished the same thing for Bard, Summoner, etc. My only big dislike in XIV remains the WotLK-esque enforcement of pure roles when XI set a good standard for hybrids.

Realistically though, at the minimum if they insist on keeping baseline classes, they may wanna find a way to start tossing multiple jobs onto more than just Arcanist. At least then they'd hold more of a purpose and people hitting cap wouldn't just have one role available.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I got the itch to try (again) FFXIV after watching the NoClip documentary. I downloaded the trial version and, so far, I'm enjoying it more than TESO. The fact that there's levels and the world doesn't scale with you is great!

I'll probably keep playing until I reach lvl 35. If by then I'm hooked, I'll get the game and play for at least a month. I have no interest in getting into raiding and all that (never liked that aspect of MMOs), but I do want to finish the main story.

Sibylus

Banned
The Noclip documentary is incredible, as one who got into the game this year with little knowledge of the game's rocky past.

The DPS queues at cap are pretty wild, well over an hour on Primal, I don't think seen anything quite that bad and I've been playing MMOs since Ultima Online.

Despite that, I'm not really surprised. Red Mage and Samurai are extremely fun and Tanks/Healers didn't really get much exciting. The only bit that confuses me is that I've seen more whining about AST and PLD than actually asking for QoL passes on the rest. That is Blizzard style design, nerfing things that are largely fine to make the worse off look better. You don't want that.

I still lament that we got a combat system revamp and Red Mage without any hybrids or alt-specs added. I would love to be able to heal on a Red Mage, well outside of failing PUGs, that is. But, I always wished the same thing for Bard, Summoner, etc. My only big dislike in XIV remains the WotLK-esque enforcement of pure roles when XI set a good standard for hybrids.

Realistically though, at the minimum if they insist on keeping baseline classes, they may wanna find a way to start tossing multiple jobs onto more than just Arcanist. At least then they'd hold more of a purpose and people hitting cap wouldn't just have one role available.

I think they've said that they don't want to do anything like Arcanist > Scholar/Summoner split again.

I wouldn't mind some way to diversify roles though.

Like in Tera as a Warrior you could queue as a DPS or queue as a tank if that's what you mean.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
RDMs pulling sub a11s DPS on Susie LMFAO

B.K.

I'm sure it's been asked, but the thread moves too fast to go back and find it. What materia should PLD meld to gear? I know that I should have 270 Saying gear on the right side, but what should I attach to it and what should I attach to left side gear?

I'm sure it's been asked, but the thread moves too fast to go back and find it. What materia should PLD meld to gear? I know that I should have 270 Saying gear on the right side, but what should I attach to it and what should I attach to left side gear?
IIRC it's supposed to be Dhit > Crit > Det

Apoptomon

Tried taking my level 60 fisher and miner into the Fringes last night between dps queues. My gear is shit, lol - I only have 600gathering/perception/gp so I can't even do the 'practice' collectible. Which is the best approach to get into SB: kugane leves, collectibles or plain old grinding?

Haly

Tried taking my level 60 fisher and miner into the Fringes last night between dps queues. My gear is shit, lol - I only have 600gathering/perception/gp so I can't even do the 'practice' collectible. Which is the best approach to get into SB: kugane leves, collectibles or plain old grinding?

If you can't do collectibles then you should do leves.

Well

Without the WoL, the Scions might have lasted, but might have also all been killed by now. They weren't big enough to take on the events "WoL" has done. Most of them couldn't even get near a primal (Minfillia and Krile might be the only 2). So it all might have ended back with Titan/Ifirit/Garuda. So either they're dead, or not making much of a difference.
True, they were fucked regardless lol.

Yea, dps queues are ridiculous right now. I don’t think they’ll be tapering off:/

One thing I was never really crazy about is how they implemented both classes and jobs. It always seemed to me like jobs are not only sufficient without classes, they are much more "Final Fantasy" than classes.

So I guess I'm hoping someone will tell me that people don't use classes at cap, or for grouping. Or can someone at least tell me why one would choose two go with the job versus going with the class or vice versa?
The new jobs don’t even have classes, and they swapped out having to level other classes for their shared abilities with just getting “role abilities” automatically. I’m sure in 1.0 Square had the idea that Classes would be an evolution of FFXI’s “SubJob” system, but it didn’t really work, so they are downplaying classes more and more as time goes on. Even for the jobs that still start with a class, the class never got any more abilities beyond level 30, so going from class to job was just a story-bit where your character became more powerful.

iammeiam

Crafting leves are really good, so I'm just doing fishing the Netflix and grind way.I'm lazily doing this so far. because too lazy for efficiency, and SB garbage fish at least seem to consistently desynth into water clusters. The collectible reward for the first fish isn't great and I don't want to waste leves so at least I get clusters and infinite sand out of it.

Also while level 60 quests are bad XP, the crafted/gatherer class quests after that point this time through seem better than the battle job quests. Solid skills, ton of XP, definitely worth doing as you get them.

Releasing an expansion with 2 DPS jobs and nothing else was a mistake. They had to know that everyone was going to flock to those and flood the already crowded pool of DPS.

I mean it isn't just 2 DPS, it's 2 fan favourite jobs as DPS. They really needed to add a tank at the very least to balance this out a bit. I mean eventually it'll even out, in fact the wait times on my server aren't nearly as bad.

Releasing an expansion with 2 DPS jobs and nothing else was a mistake. They had to know that everyone was going to flock to those and flood the already crowded pool of DPS.

If they release dancer and make it a healer we'll never have to worry about long dps queue times for the first bit of next expansion lol.

Aesthet1c

I mean it isn't just 2 DPS, it's 2 fan favourite jobs as DPS. They really needed to add a tank at the very least to balance this out a bit. I mean eventually it'll even out, in fact the wait times on my server aren't nearly as bad.

Yeah I agree, and I'm also part of the problem. I main'd a DRK through HW and instantly switched to SAM when SB hit because they just looked so cool.

If they release dancer and make it a healer we'll never have to worry about long dps queue times for the first bit of next expansion lol.

+1, I would be all over that.

Baleoce

I'm with you, I want dancer in this game really badly. But I'm trying to imagine on controller how feasible it'd be to do whatever resource generation combo you have to do, all while avoiding melee range mechanics and constantly using the dpad to cycle party members for targetting while trying to stay mobile.

kaze343

one thing i see a lot of is people only having one language set when they queue for dungeons. the longest I have had to wait so far as a dps for a dungeon was 17 minutes.

B.K.

I just spent 45 minutes in a trial roulette because I got the final trial. They need to take it out of the rotation. Now, getting The Final Steps of Faith doesn't seem so bad.

lmao, we had a fixed palace of the dead party to 200 cross world and a guy bailed past 100. So now... we can't continue since we were all randoms and that guy bailed with no explanation at all.

Haly

Join Lakshmi farm party
5 people first time clear
tenor.gif

Squishy3

It'll taper down eventually, just not as quick as the queues normalized for Heavensward. It should return to normal as people take a break during the 4.0->4.1 lapse.

I was starting to think it wasn't possible to fail Palace of the Dead, but then here comes a Sprout Warrior who runs past us while we're carefully pulling mobs into a room full of enemies and just wipes us lol

Yeah, definitely not a good idea for new players to learn how to play with PotD

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
5.0 should just add Geomancer, Dancer, and Sentinel. 2 healers, 1 tank, and bring some FFXIII love to the table!

Since launch Black Mage's whole repertoire should have been Geomancer as an advanced class of Conjurer. The Geomancer would have Water based attacks that recovers mp but does less damage and Earth attacks that do more damage but doesn't recover mp.

Stuart444

Join Lakshmi farm party
5 people first time clear
tenor.gif

I've seen so many parties lately say farm etc without using the duty complete option. I saw plenty use it early on but now many aren't using it even though by using it, you don't even need to say no bonus <.<

Squishy3

I've seen so many parties lately say farm etc without using the duty complete option. I saw plenty use it early on but now many aren't using it even though by using it, you don't even need to say no bonus <.<
Plnety of people use it, just you can set that option even if you haven't cleared the duty yourself, so it actually doesn't mean anything.

VandalD

Twice now I've been surprised at this game seeming to acknowledge past events. Like with Tataru visiting the arcanist trainer and them recognizing that I am a high level arcanist, and knowing Yugiri from post ARR and the dialog with
becoming a ninja
. Maybe the game's just fooling me with that second one, but just one instance of this happening stuck with me. With how important story is to FF14, it feels like they've done a rather great job at not making questing or leveling another class be a giant time-traveling mess, like a certain other MMO.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Just change Warrior into Berserker and call it a new job; finally, a class easy enough for me to play.
Twice now I've been surprised at this game seeming to acknowledge past events. Like with Tataru visiting the arcanist trainer and them recognizing that I am a high level arcanist, and knowing Yugiri from post ARR and the dialog with
becoming a ninja
. Maybe the game's just fooling me with that second one, but just one instance of this happening stuck with me. With how important story is to FF14, it feels like they've done a rather great job at not making questing or leveling another class be a giant time-traveling mess, like a certain other MMO.
They tend to throw in a line for a bunch of stuff like that- the RDM starting quest dialogue changes based on your progression through the new expansion. HW DRG quests change based on your progression through that expansion, the quest to get AK hard will notice if you levelled WHM, and one of the new 70 dungeons acknowledges if you made an awful mistake and levelled MNK by accident.

Top Bottom