• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Squishy3

This is kind of moving target; the primal discussion started a few weeks back as "wow these are really easy I don't really know if they're going to work as midcore content for three months", which prompted an immediate reaction of people still leveling insisting raider privilege meant the fights only seemed easy because 2hardcore/the HW EX primals were faceroll anyway!/etc, turned into a lot of people, capping, clearing and going "Wow, these are really easy." and then the rebuttal "They're not easy, PFs fail all the time." etc etc.

Like, it's at least three separate lines of discussion. Are they easy and does easy require every group that queues in clearing, are they too easy to the point of pointing to a future content gap pre-4.1, and then should too easy be the accepted state of .0 content/should all EX primals be easy if tied to the story/etc, etc. And on the middle one, most of the concern is that it didn't start here, this is the continuation of the Sophia - > Creator - > Zurvan trend we saw at the end of HW. We also know there's rumored Super Savage in 4.1 that may be used to justify continuing down the path the non-story content has been on since 3.4.

TBH with a couple weeks on them now I think the worst thing they did was put the mounts in from day 1. It's a cheap trick to wait for people to farm out their weapons/accessories and then motivate them to go back and mount farm by patching in later, but it would have worked.
I don't know, I'm pretty glad I don't need to wait for 4.1 to start farming these primal mounts. The PF mentality now is just terrible and thinks they can approach these the same way they were approaching the HW primals in regards to farming.

Regarding below, it's absolutely baffling that you can set Duty Complete required if you haven't cleared yourself. Raid Finder doesn't let you queue for duty complete if you haven't cleared, why does Party Finder let you dictate that only people who've cleared can join your party if you haven't cleared yourself?

Cmagus

On our data center now the thing with Susano is people making clear parties and locking out people who haven't cleared except for them. It's turning into a Zurvan situation and people are real bitter over the fight.

iammeiam

I don't know, I'm pretty glad I don't need to wait for 4.1 to start farming these.

Are you talking about the mounts or the fights themselves? If the former, it's more about creating sustainable parties once everyone moves on, and you can already farm the tokens to cash in later. If the latter, there's a difference between things dying in one lockout and being impossible to farm until a catchup patch, and gearing is going to start shifting a lot very soon meaning any difficulty they had to start was going to get nerfed two weeks in anyway. Like, we're about to see massive iLevel jumps for everyone with corresponding massive jumps in HP, DEF, MDEF, and probably damage, when Omega normal and capped tomes hit in a matter of a couple of days. Ravana and Bismarck at i190 were probably close to where I felt Lakshmi and Susano were in the hodgepodge of gear we had getting out of MSQ; with new gear hitting in a couple of days they're going to get a lot easier very quickly.

Edit: Oh, you edited. I still think farming tokens now and adding the actual mounts later would have extended the life of these and made it easier for latecomers to get groups. But I also avoid farm PFs in general.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Shiva's a fair comparison, but I think Susano benefits a lot from the stupid amount of MP healers have access to at this point. Most of my early Shiva memories are healer MP attrition being a thing, and at this point with Refresh and the caster mp handoff and whatnot I can usually get away with AOE heal spamming when everyone is too busy being dumb to heal individually. Sophia I largely felt was harder due to the circle stack thing requiring coordination between players. Susano is mostly reacting to markers and AOEs, Sophia required you to actually work with your circle buddy and failing hit the party harder than I think any single Susano fail.

A billion raid finders to farm DRK/WAR mounts and most of the time people didn't do the circle mechanics properly and cleared 'fine', but I admit it wasn't usually all 8 of them.

I'm disappointed with this game.

- People don't talk
- People don't fight together
- People don't interact in any way
- It feels nothing like an MMO
- Combat is boring and lacks strategy
- Lots of stupid quests
- Easy to the levels of boring and tedious

Does it get better? Am I doing something wrong?

The last MMO I played (Tibia, a decade ago) was a lot more fun, and I was hoping to relive some of that in FFXIV. I guess not.
Early on it's like that, yeah, you won't really see challenging content until you reach endgame stuff and the combat system only really comes together once you hit level cap levels for most jobs.

duckroll

Thanks to everyone who joined the Alex run! Hopefully we can do Creator Normal soon. If not tomorrow, then maybe next weekend between Omega runs? :p Alex is so fun!

Kenai

I can't remember that combination ever happening. There's Prey + Cloud and there's Prey + Churn, but shouldn't be Prey + Churn + Cloud?

For the knockback/don't move thing, run to the side so you get knocked into the wall a short distance away (assuming tanked NW in final phase); you then only have to take a couple of steps to get to the party for the stack which you can do before the dice thing explodes. Prey + Cloud I pre pop sprint for and can usually make it back.

Alternately both healers drop Esuna and cross in Rescue and you just yank each other around. Which is ALSO super fun when I mash it on accident and yank the tank literally across the arena.

I was actually considering asking my co healer to drop Esuna for Rescue too lol. It was the stack point that comes after getting targeted for purple, yea. It only happened twice to me in the near full lockout but I got rubixed during that and got pretty salty since that seemed like a total "gotcha! hurrhurr" but I was probably making it hard by being further away than necessary I guess? Only thing I could think of. My WAR bf got the same thing and he was like "I just charged back to the boss lol" and I was like "f*cking good for you"

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
This is kind of moving target; the primal discussion started a few weeks back as "wow these are really easy I don't really know if they're going to work as midcore content for three months", which prompted an immediate reaction of people still leveling insisting raider privilege meant the fights only seemed easy because 2hardcore/the HW EX primals were faceroll anyway!/etc, turned into a lot of people, capping, clearing and going "Wow, these are really easy." and then the rebuttal "They're not easy, PFs fail all the time." etc etc.

Like, it's at least three separate lines of discussion. Are they easy and does easy require every group that queues in clearing, are they too easy to the point of pointing to a future content gap pre-4.1, and then should too easy be the accepted state of .0 content/should all EX primals be easy if tied to the story/etc, etc. And on the middle one, most of the concern is that it didn't start here, this is the continuation of the Sophia - > Creator - > Zurvan trend we saw at the end of HW. We also know there's rumored Super Savage in 4.1 that may be used to justify continuing down the path the non-story content has been on since 3.4.
It's a moving target if you're debating across the three lines of discussion, sure.

Laks is mechanically not that hard and overall very forgiving, I would agree with this sentiment. I would also agree that just because it isn't that bad doesn't mean you're going to get a clear every time. I say this as someone who sucks at Lakshmi. I'm not used to BLM yet and I'm not used to the fight yet. I don't know timings or abilities names all that well yet. Anything movement related scares the shit out of me and causes me to do funny things that kill my DPS. If anything, I'm more in a bubble on my opinion since as far as I'm aware you're PFing with randoms + Scy while I'm playing with 5/8 group and 3 friends of friends. Despite all that, I can still recognize that it's not that bad. None of my friends are super hardcore or anything either. A few of them might be for all I know, but most aren't.

There's a whole different discussion to be had on what being a bad player means in this thread. I think a lot of posters here seem to have different thoughts on what they think everyone else thinks is a bad player. I think it's like you said, there are players out there that flat out won't do mechanics and think everyone else will do it for them. This still kills you and leads to not getting clears!

As for the trend of Primals getting easier... I'm willing to give Yoshi the benefit of the doubt since expansion launch is a chance to start fresh. Could I be wrong? Yeah, probably. Looking at the trend is the smart thing to do.

tl;dr
  • Laks is mechanically not that hard, it's also forgiving.
  • It being these things does not guarantee you a clear
  • I'm not very good at BLM
  • Going with friends definitely helps
  • I believe in Yoshi to some degree still for reasons beyond me.

Early on it's like that, yeah, you won't really see challenging content until you reach endgame stuff and the combat system only really comes together once you hit level cap levels for most jobs.

Eek.

I doubt I'll even finish the game at this rate. It's just really tedious.

What a waste of money. :lol

To think this game was a decisive factor in buying a PS4. I want a full refund.

iammeiam

A billion raid finders to farm DRK/WAR mounts and most of the time people didn't do the circle mechanics properly and cleared 'fine', but I admit it wasn't usually all 8 of them.

It's been a while, but I remember the circle failures week 1 being a lot more noticeable than the electricity failures in Susano right now. It's this weird area of I think Sophia was pretty easy but I also think shortly after dropping Sophia EX raid finder was this weird safe haven of people who generally knew the fight because all of the really bad people were, for whatever reason, creating farm PFs and killing each other out there.

I don't know; it's mostly that I think what Sophia actually asked people to do was harder than anything Susano has (circles were harder than 'just bait the straight line behind him', odd/even meteor counting was harder than 'jump over the big line', the vuln on tank swap seemed a lot more severe, Cinntamani seemed more srs bsns, etc), and that at week one iLevel it seemed like she hit harder. Although admittedly I'd just resubbed and was like i235 at the time, had no self heals, and would generally just explode if people looked at me funny.

MechaX

Eek.

I doubt I'll even finish the game at this rate. It's just really tedious.

What a waste of money. :lol

To think this game was a decisive factor in buying a PS4. I want a full refund.

I mean, I am not sure what anyone can tell you. Like, you say that the game lacks strategy but you're not at the end game in 2.0, 3.0, or 4.0 or I am not even sure where you are in the game?

Wagram

*people says Susano EX is easy*
*Goes into a PF training group*
*several wipes around 40%*
*Goes into another PF group*
*even worst*

Ok.jpg

Everything is pretty aids in party finder. However, mechanically speaking it's really simple when compared to other primals.

I'm disappointed with this game.

- People don't talk
- People don't fight together
- People don't interact in any way
- It feels nothing like an MMO
- Combat is boring and lacks strategy
- Lots of stupid quests
- Easy to the levels of boring and tedious

Does it get better? Am I doing something wrong?

The last MMO I played (Tibia, a decade ago) was a lot more fun, and I was hoping to relive some of that in FFXIV. I guess not.

The beginning is the worst to be honest. They rushed the launch, especially in the story department. It does get better, but it'll take some time.

I mean, I am not sure what anyone can tell you. Like, you say that the game lacks strategy but you're not at the end game in 2.0, 3.0, or 4.0 or I am not even sure where you are in the game?

I killed the first boss 2 hours ago and now I'm doing another batch of boring side quests.

drac96

I'm nearing the end of ARR and have a question about trial and dungeon etiquette. Obviously it's my first time through, so I'm trying to watch the story scenes.

More often than not I get locked out of fights because the rest of the party skips the scenes and runs right into the fight. This is for dungeons, because in trials you have to ready up.

I guess I feel like I'm doing something wrong by trying to see the story. Should I just skip everything initially and then go see the scenes at the inn? As a DPS it really sucks to queue for anywhere between 20 minute to an hour only to not participate in boss fights.

I'm not sure if you guys have ever played Tibia but that was my first and only MMO ever so my expectations were based on my experience with that game.

What I was expecting from FFXIV:

- A busy chat window with people talking shit, teaming up, going on quests together, selling and trading stuff, etc
- Lots of places to explore right away like dungeons and caves
- Places you are not supposed to be at early levels, but that you could traverse with the help of other players
- A difficult game

I found none of that.

The only positive thing I can say about FFXIV is that it works really well on PS4.

First boss as in boss of Sastasha?

It was a big tree. Don't remember its name.

Squishy3

Are you talking about the mounts or the fights themselves? If the former, it's more about creating sustainable parties once everyone moves on, and you can already farm the tokens to cash in later. If the latter, there's a difference between things dying in one lockout and being impossible to farm until a catchup patch, and gearing is going to start shifting a lot very soon meaning any difficulty they had to start was going to get nerfed two weeks in anyway. Like, we're about to see massive iLevel jumps for everyone with corresponding massive jumps in HP, DEF, MDEF, and probably damage, when Omega normal and capped tomes hit in a matter of a couple of days. Ravana and Bismarck at i190 were probably close to where I felt Lakshmi and Susano were in the hodgepodge of gear we had getting out of MSQ; with new gear hitting in a couple of days they're going to get a lot easier very quickly.
Susano's probably going to feel the biggest difference right away since people are still going to need to use Vril in Lakshmi or else they dead. I'd actually go on to say Susano feels easier to me because it's just easy mechanics while you at least need to remember to use Vril and obtain Vril during the fight.

I'm nearing the end of ARR and have a question about trial and dungeon etiquette. Obviously it's my first time through, so I'm trying to watch the story scenes.

More often than not I get locked out of fights because the rest of the party skips the scenes and runs right into the fight. This is for dungeons, because in trials you have to ready up.

I guess I feel like I'm doing something wrong by trying to see the story. Should I just skip everything initially and then go see the scenes at the inn? As a DPS it really sucks to queue for anywhere between 20 minute to an hour only to not participate in boss fights.

Unfortunately if you're just playing with randoms then you have to make the choice of watching cutscenes and missing out on fights or skipping the cutscenes and watching them later at the inn. Thankfully they learned from their mistakes and avoided putting long cutscenes in dungeons after ARR.
I'm not sure if you guys have ever played Tibia but that was my first and only MMO ever so my expectations were based on my experience with that game.

- A busy chat window with people talking shit, teaming up, going on quests together, selling and trading stuff, etc
- Places you are not supposed to be at early levels, but that you could traverse with the help of other players
- A difficult game

I found none of that.

The only positive thing I can say about FFXIV is that it works really well on PS4.

It was a big tree. Don't remember its name.

You're still extremely early and getting further in might help to address some of the things you want from the game, but most of the things you expect to be in an MMO aren't in the FFXIV style of MMO. Something like Black Desert Online might do a better job of providing what you're looking for.

BlackJace

Not gonna lie, I'd call large swaths of ARR's MSQ pretty lame. However, the game really comes into itself during the endgame.

What's even better is that HW and (what I've played of) SB's MSQ are much more streamlined, and the endgames of both are just as rewarding.

kaioshade

I did Zurvan today and people are really bitter today. We had some new people and cleared at 30% echo and this guy lost it saying "None of you earned this kill" it was pretty hilarious. He also fell off at the beginning part but everyone else sucked so yeah everyone is an elitist today for some reason yet can't handle the content. At least I got the mount before they all started fighting and quit, win for me lol.

Susan EX has been rough lately but as usual people don't have the patience to let the new players actually see the fight, it's one shot or nothing at this point.

Yup, the idiots are out in full force.

Went to Royal Menagerie, wiped twice, people starts losing their shit and saying vote abandon, when literally 5/8 of the people were new. Only myself (ast) and the two tanks has cleared the fight. When all 4 DPS are new to the fight, things are going to get rough.

duckroll

Not gonna lie, I'd call large swaths of ARR's MSQ pretty lame. However, the game really comes into itself during the endgame.

What's even better is that HW and (what I've played of) SB's MSQ are much more streamlined, and the endgames of both are just as rewarding.

But is it ever as good as Tibia?! :p

JMPerona

It was a few month since I played the game for the last time. Now I want to come back to it on ps4. My question is: How can I get remained of the story till the last quest I did before I quit? Is it difficult to come back? To get the controls right again after all these months?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
It's been a while, but I remember the circle failures week 1 being a lot more noticeable than the electricity failures in Susano right now. It's this weird area of I think Sophia was pretty easy but I also think shortly after dropping Sophia EX raid finder was this weird safe haven of people who generally knew the fight because all of the really bad people were, for whatever reason, creating farm PFs and killing each other out there.

I don't know; it's mostly that I think what Sophia actually asked people to do was harder than anything Susano has (circles were harder than 'just bait the straight line behind him', odd/even meteor counting was harder than 'jump over the big line', the vuln on tank swap seemed a lot more severe, Cinntamani seemed more srs bsns, etc), and that at week one iLevel it seemed like she hit harder. Although admittedly I'd just resubbed and was like i235 at the time, had no self heals, and would generally just explode if people looked at me funny.

I think you'll find it's called Cincinnati???

I don't know, it could just be that Raid Finder was a lot better (and it was, no doubt) player wise but I feel like Sophie hit like a wet noodle on the tanks at least? Like you can basically fail lightning on Susan easy enough sure; but I ended up solo tanking Sophie half the time on DRK and I don't know how to play drk other than 'scourge looks cool' and managed to be okay while giving the healers only the mildest of cardiac arrest.

- A difficult game

I found none of that.

While XIV gets much better from the earlier levels of ARR, if you want the experience of an early 2000s MMO you won't find that here.

It was a few month since I played the game for the last time. Now I want to come back to it on ps4. My question is: How can I get remained of the story till the last quest I did before I quit? Is it difficult to come back? To get the controls right again after all these months?

When you're in the game you can watch all the story scenes at an Inn in any of the major citie, or you can watch videos on YouTube...and no, its pretty easy to come back. If you join a Free Company you will find people who will help you out in lower level content and the controls are simple. Your skills have probably changed a bit anyway

DarkKyo

After I beat The Royal Menagerie does it go straight into the final cutscenes/credits sequence? Or is there something in between there?

I ask because I want to be able to play this quest's cutscenes(specifically the one between the dungeon and the trial) for my SO because she enjoys the story and missed the first time it played after I beat
Ala Mhigo
. So it would be nice to show her the cutscenes from this quest before the final stuff plays out but I can only imagine that finishing The Royal Menagerie will kick off the end-of-xpac scenes. I'd show her those scenes right now from the journal in the inn room but I'm fairly certain you need to beat the whole quest before you can view any scenes from it.

Wagram

Despite my grievances with Dragoon (potency, dragon sight, LOTD stacks dropping) I will give them credit for making the class fun as hell to play. LOTD despite the build up FEELS important and special which is rare for this game.

JMPerona

When you're in the game you can watch all the story scenes at an Inn in any of the major citie, or you can watch videos on YouTube...and no, its pretty easy to come back. If you join a Free Company you will find people who will help you out in lower level content and the controls are simple. Your skills have probably changed a bit anyway

I think its time for me to come back then! Here we go! thanks!

iammeiam

• Laks is mechanically not that hard, it's also forgiving.
  • It being these things does not guarantee you a clear
  • Going with friends definitely helps
  • I believe in Yoshi to some degree still for reasons beyond me.

I agree with most of the things quoted above; trusting Yoshi is some weird thing where I don't know what I'd even be trusting in at this point? Post "Zurvan is pretty hard, guys", I don't have a frame of reference that lets me know what he's actually aiming for most of the time. Omega Savage will on some level be fascinating because it will hopefully provide context for a lot of the changes to the combat system that right now seem just kind of ???

Susano's probably going to feel the biggest difference right away since people are still going to need to use Vril in Lakshmi or else they dead. I'd actually go on to say Susano feels easier to me because it's just easy mechanics while you at least need to remember to use Vril and obtain Vril during the fight.

I think people are going to be surprised by how much of Lakshmi's one mechanic you can actually ignore. I posted this back at the time, but this is a week 1 Lakshmi EX in which pretty much every mechanic that can get failed does. Failing to vril the confuse isn't a guaranteed death, failing to vril the stack isn't a guaranteed death, failing to vril the pull-in isn't certain death, failing to vril the healer puddle thing isn't death (not in the video but I've done it--you get a slow until you get out of the puddle but Sprint cancels it out), failing to vril Strotam isn't even as fatal as people think--I survive in that video with a fantastic 170 HP, but that buffer is going to jump by a lot starting next week. But even in day 2 gear, you could actually fail a lot of her stuff and survive.

I think you'll find it's called Cincinnati???

I don't know, it could just be that Raid Finder was a lot better (and it was, no doubt) player wise but I feel like Sophie hit like a wet noodle on the tanks at least? Like you can basically fail lightning on Susan easy enough sure; but I ended up solo tanking Sophie half the time on DRK and I don't know how to play drk other than 'scourge looks cool' and managed to be okay while giving the healers only the mildest of cardiac arrest.

Outside of the tank busters, neither of 'em seemed to do much to tanks. I should have healed Sophia early on so I'd have a better comparison, I guess. The only time I really register the tanks in Susano is Stormsplitter (which is usually "Fuck you SCH why are you making me diurnal why aren't you Adloing THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT" before TBN bails my ass out) or orb-popping; beyond that they're just the super greedy melee who never dodge anything.

BUT Susano will never send the MT sliding off the arena to certain death for failing to move and therefor he is clearly and definitively easier.

MikeBison

Looking to make some more FF friends!

U.K. Based, play on PS4 so usually have a party going. Chilllll dudes and dudettes.

On Moogle.

5 or 6 of us play together currently and would like to fill out a group to try the raid when it drops.

Feel free to drop me a message or add, PSN is zombiefc. Even if you're not at stormblood yet, just want to feel a bit more communal.

Character name is Geverett Blackthorne if you just want to send an FF friend request.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Yoshi is some weird thing where I don't know what I'd even be trusting in at this point?
Not a whole lot really. That's why I said looking at the trend is the smart thing to do.

You can agree with me being a bad BLM

iammeiam

Not a whole lot really. That's why I said looking at the trend is the smart thing to do.

Eh, all criticisms I have of the guy aside, I really do mean it when I say I don't understand what he's trying to do half the time and how much of what we see is largely led by others that he just plays public face for.

You can agree with me being a bad BLM

a.) as far as I'm concerned you're still a summoner and you can do nothing to alter this opinion so HA

b.) I actually do agree with the new primals having only the barest minimum DPS check because they should be functioning to train players on how their new toolsets interact with mechanics. Like, "how do I not die to this and then, after not dying, how do I not drop Enochian/lose LotD/Overheat/etc?" should be the questions these fights have people focus on, while not requiring them to have answers to the second half clear. My objection is 90% that I don't think the "not dying" part is tuned properly, which throws the actual learning off, but them making everyone feel uncomfortable with their new stuff at first is kind of the point!

Blitzhex

BLM is INSANE at max level. So much fun. Running dungeon is like, I'm playing my own minigame, keeping enochain running the whole run start to finish.
x3 tripleswiftcasted flares into foul aoe and everything is melted.
The sound of foul activating is so addicting.
BLM is my third level 70, going to drop my samurai and focus on ast + blm, they're so fun.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
BUT Susano will never send the MT sliding off the arena to certain death for failing to move and therefor he is clearly and definitively easier.

Sophie will never engage in psychological warfare by asking you to party in revelry with her though, so it's a wash!

I never quite got why tempered will at the last second works on Sophia but holmgang you had to precast (if it worked at all). You're right that hitting a button is probably more interaction than Susano asks for though.

R0ckman

Yup, the idiots are out in full force.

Went to Royal Menagerie, wiped twice, people starts losing their shit and saying vote abandon, when literally 5/8 of the people were new. Only myself (ast) and the two tanks has cleared the fight. When all 4 DPS are new to the fight, things are going to get rough.

Why do people do this crap? Wipe once or twice then vote abandoned?

Luigi87

So question about after an instance (lv.61?) in Rhalgr's Reach

I was curious as to what Krile says to the WoL for non-healer Jobs, if anything, since I was surprised for her to call out my character saying "Stop your gawping! You're a healer, aren't you?"

kaioshade

People have expectations. 2 wipes into a 'farm' party is enough to see whose been carried through their clears if you are paying attention and whether the group is salvageable.

True, but this was clearly a learning/clear party. when 5/8 out of the group is new, you cannot expect farm efficiency.

Vic_Viper

Is there a good resource yet for SAM job quests, or any of the other classes past level 60? None of the sites I use for MSQ and pre SB job quests have updated yet.

I was curious as to what Krile says to the WoL for non-healer Jobs, if anything, since I was surprised for her to call out my character saying "Stop your gawping! You're a healer, aren't you?"

She asks you to hold them down for her.

I think
she just tells you to hold Y'shtola down, which doesn't make sense, because she's already naturally lying still on the ground and not like some flapping fish just fresh out of the water.

I bet the lv70 DRK quest. That was rad and better than what I expected.
I mean I worked out Myste was another part of you and they felt bad for letting all these people die and hurting them. It's like this is an evolution of the 30-50 storyline.
But I was expecting the game to really lay it on me and bring back Haurchefant. Instead I fight the entire Heaven's Ward and Warriors of Darkness. Kinda glad Haurchefant didn't appear, even though he was mentioned by Lord Fortemps.
Honestly I loved it, even down to Fray returning. I feel like they can't do another storyline for DRK like this again, where could they even go?

Well thanks Tank queues for being OP. I'm still on lv68 story stuff.

Top Bottom