• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

LordKasual

Banned
Genuinely surprised Lakshmi Ex is even considered an Ex.

Both of these primals are weak as extremes.

They are surprisingly easy.

It's funny, it seems as though the new content is mechanically simplistic, and failing mechanics are less punishing, but the fights themselves would be pretty ridiculous if they didn't allow you to screw up like they do. The final boss included, it's surprisingly aggressive for a story battle.

There is alot more room to carry bad players, but it's still pretty fun.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
As a new player who wants to start the game from scratch.... how bad is the DL on PS4, is warrior a good starting class and what's a good EU server? :>

DL can be slow but you'll manage. Think current version including all content through SB is 70gb on PS4

Warrior is a tank class and has more responsibility to consider in groups and dungeons than a DPS class(straight damage dealer). Don't let that turn you off as the progression ramps slowly and the game gives lots of opportunities to learn, but if you just want to hit stuff, try a pugilist/monk or lancer/dragoon. Ninja, Archer, black Mage, etc... You can change class at anytime too so no fear being stuck to something you are ubsure you enjoy.

Check the current OT for EU server stuff to play with GAF.

As a new player who wants to start the game from scratch.... how bad is the DL on PS4, is warrior a good starting class and what's a good EU server? :>

Not sure of the download size :(

Warrior is cool, a fairy powerful Tank at the moment (I think) and once you get to...Level 10 (or maybe 15) you can switch to any other class to try it out. You level up fairly quickly as most of the digital editions come with items that boost EXP earned by 10/20/30% etc.

Ragnarok and Odin are good EU servers. I think Ragnarok is more hardcore raiding etc, and Odin is where the people who post dog memes go <_<>_>

wamberz1

People going on about how easy the new EX primals are and I'm on my 12th or 13th party for lakshmi...
Maybe I should stop joining blind practice groups, but I really enjoy the experience of helping everyone along to the goal line.

adversarial

I was thinking of doing a tank after I get to 70 with my WHM. Do you guys think the Dark Knight is ok? I heard bad things but the starting at 50 thing seems really appealing. I don't mind starting from scratch since I want to learn it properly but if Dark Knight is not as bad, (hopefully even better after some patches) I'd just go with that.

Just hit 70 on my DRK. It's fun, haven't run into any issues, but obviously haven't tanked anything that hits hard yet. Everyone says DRK is trash, but I'm new to FFXIV so maybe it just hasn't sunk in yet. Will know more when I tank EX's, I assume.

PLD seems like a safe bet.

Yes, "Extreme" versions of Lakshmi and Susanoo, which both give you some of the current highest iLvl gear in the game. However you unlock two new dungeons (one in Rhalgar's Reach, another in Kugane) which, when completed, allow you to do the Duty Roulette Expert and in general start farming for Tomestomes of Verity which pay for the highest iLvl (current) gear in the game.

However tomorrow we get the first part of the Omega Raid and I think a new tier of Tomestones so it might be obsolete : / Compared to farming for Scripture, Verity is really easy (imo) as the turnaround to get a piece of gear is much quicker. Hopefully the new stuff doesn't make it korean MMO style grinding.

Many thanks.

Aesthet1c

I was thinking of doing a tank after I get to 70 with my WHM. Do you guys think the Dark Knight is ok? I heard bad things but the starting at 50 thing seems really appealing. I don't mind starting from scratch since I want to learn it properly but if Dark Knight is not as bad, (hopefully even better after some patches) I'd just go with that.

DRK's start at 30, only SAM and RDM start at 50. I mained a DRK through HW and loved it. I swapped to samurai for this expansion but since I hit 70 I started leveling my DRK. They definitely feel watered down a bit from HW, but I think as I get my newer skills things will balance out, and they are still pretty fun tanks to play. I haven't tried the other tanks though, so I don't know how they compare.

They satisfy my inner edgelord in a way that WHM never could.

MogCakes

So doing Lakshmi EX with some friends and randoms (pretty cool randoms as well), cleared it but everyone decided I need to remember this moment with a gif:
This has happened to me a couple times this expansion. That skill should be renamed Leap of Faith

Shy Fingers

Banned

The complaints about DRK are they gutted the complexity of the class. Someone starting it now should have an ok time with it I would imagine.

adversarial

Do EX versions get new abilities? Is it like going from Heroic > Mythic in WoW? Or stuff just hits harder? Haven't been this stoked to get into some actual content in an MMO since WoW.

Aesthet1c

Do EX versions get new abilities? Is it like going from Heroic > Mythic in WoW? Or stuff just hits harder? Haven't been this stoked to get into some actual content in an MMO since WoW.

Yeah there are extra mechanics on top of the normal mechanics, as well as hitting harder, etc.

Makikou

Just hit 70 on my DRK. It's fun, haven't run into any issues, but obviously haven't tanked anything that hits hard yet. Everyone says DRK is trash, but I'm new to FFXIV so maybe it just hasn't sunk in yet. Will know more when I tank EX's, I assume.

Many thanks.

Don't get pulled in by the "optimum meta is the only way to play" bunch. It's just as valid to play what you like. It's not like there will never be balance patches either.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'm really enjoying my Ninja a ton and taking it to 70. Playing through ARR but was wondering what ranged DPS class people like in SB. I might start leveling up an alt on the side slowly because I'm almost already capped at 100 Leve tokens because I haven't bothered with them at all. Might as well do them on a low level to start leveling or should I be doing something else with them? Beast Quest rewards seem kind of lame?

Does MCH really suck that bad? Was thinking about BRD and BLM mainly but I have no idea how either job actually plays or how complex they are.

Tiops

So doing Lakshmi EX with some friends and randoms (pretty cool randoms as well), cleared it but everyone decided I need to remember this moment with a gif:

I did something like that with my RDM lol. I was finishing my melee combo, and as soon as I decide to use Displacement, Lakshmi decides that it was the time to move to the center, making my character face the edge of the arena lmao.

Makikou

I'm really enjoying my Ninja a ton and taking it to 70. Playing through ARR but was wondering what ranged DPS class people like in SB. I might start leveling up an alt on the side slowly because I'm almost already capped at 100 Leve tokens because I haven't bothered with them at all. Might as well do them on a low level to start leveling or should I be doing something else with them? Beast Quest rewards seem kind of lame?

Does MCH really suck that bad? Was thinking about BRD and BLM mainly but I have no idea how either job actually plays or how complex they are.

MCH got nerfed pretty hard and it's a real shame. I still expect them to take it up to a better level but it might take a few months.

Bard is super fun in SB. I didn't like them much in HW because fuck casting, but the new song system and new mechanics are really fun to mess with. They're not the easiest job to play since they double as support and always feel like they got buttons to hit constantly, but it's still a hell of a lot of fun.

Somebody explain the tanking Susano in the middle thing

What do people think it accomplishes? All I've actually seen it do is make churn+knockback way more annoying. don't have to make the fights harder just 'cause they're so easy guys. it's ok

But that's how my pug managed to get to the 1%. Before that it was like 39% at best.

I'd like to see what the actual completion rate of Susano EX is. I've still yet to complete it or Lakshmi EX, but the latter seems a bit more forgiving while SusanoEX is okay up until after the sticky lightning phase, at which point it just keeps throwing shit at you endlessly. One mistake by just about anyone seems to cause it fall apart with no hope of recovery because there are just so many large, quick AOEs going on with it.

GAF: please tell me it's not that I just really suck and/or get bad groups. :(

iammeiam

People going on about how easy the new EX primals are and I'm on my 12th or 13th party for lakshmi...
Maybe I should stop joining blind practice groups, but I really enjoy the experience of helping everyone along to the goal line.

Based on the constant Horrors of PF posts in this thread, I'm totally convinced the most enjoyable primal parties are the more laid-back learning/clear groups. Even the biggest disasters there are still usually pretty chill people. There are some interesting laid back people, like a surprising number of tanks that don't use Shirk and one memorable DRK that only ever used Power Slash all the time, but it's still generally non-rage-y.

I did get around to doing a Susano EX on Bard to see what it was like last night, and oh my god is there so much less to pay attention to in that fight as a DPS.

None of the tanks are trash and none are particularly harder to heal in dungeons or EX primals than the others, provided they're being played competently.

That last bit is the sticking point, of course, and my understanding is DRK sucks during the leveling process, but in terms of just getting punched by stuff it seems fine.

But that's how my pug managed to get to the 1%. Before that it was like 39% at best.

What does that positioning actually accomplish, though? I didn't complain when they started doing it, but the only difference I noticed was that it made it impossible to bait the knock back into the super short run you can get from tanking up north.

I'd like to see what the actual completion rate of Susano EX is. I've still yet to complete it or Lakshmi EX, but the latter seems a bit more forgiving while SusanoEX is okay up until after the sticky lightning phase, at which point it just keeps throwing shit at you endlessly. One mistake by just about anyone seems to cause it fall apart with no hope of recovery because there are just so many large, quick AOEs going on with it.

I joined... three clear PFs yesterday; only one of the three succeeded, but it was less down to successful mechanics and more down to the tanks not constantly exploding. On average I'd say I hit one in two or three learning/clear PFs that go on to kill?

Ikkarus

The DL itself isn't too bad the only annoyance is you have to be in the client for the download to take place.

As for class I personally find DPS classes easiest on a console due to all the hotbars etc.

Still, the best way of knowing is by playing around with a bunch and then you'll discover which one clicks.

As for EU server I can only vouch for the one I'm on which is Zodiark. Has plenty of folk on there.

Blitzhex

If you miss the first week train, it's all bad groups that progressively get worse from my experience. First week were all one shot menagerie, one-two shot ex progress groups. But it doesn't mean you won't find a progress group that won't one shot a ex now. Just gotta keep trying.

Bard is really fun now due to the changes that came with SB. It can take some time to wrap your head around due to the amount of different things you need to keep track of but once you get a grip on everything it's a really fun job. If you were already considering playing Bard then I definitely recommend giving it a shot.

Shy Fingers

Banned
Somewhere along the way to my +30 Susano Ex clears, WAR really clicked for me. I was a little worried for lack of raid utility compared to DRK, but screw the raid group, I got Inner Release and Fell Cleave to do over here! :p

Only downside is damage output is hit *hard* if you have to go into tank stance. Half bar consumed, and no good DPS options. Luckily with the new tools like Shirk and Reprisal, and good CD management, you don't really have to ever be in that stance (I mean, I'll switch if we have a healer go down or goal'd or w/e).

Looking forward to Fell Cleaving Omega in the face.

Nightz

That deflating feeling when you feel like you're making good progress and find out that you're not even a fourth of the way done with the 7th Umbral Era quests.

iammeiam

MCH is flashy as hell, but you're going to work three times as hard for worse damage than a Bard with current tuning. It's also extremely punishing, and the opener is hot garbage compared to the 3.x glory days (What do you mean I have to sit here channeling flamethrower and not pushing buttons?!?) It's fixable with a solid balance pass, but unless/until they figure out a way to make Overheat less "welcome to life sucking for the next 30 seconds+" it will still probably feel like more work than it's worth. BRD by comparison is super streamlined at 70 and extremely forgiving, while still seeming fairly active.

I do miss the pre SB Dark Knight.

Before it used to be Paladin > Warrior > Dark Knight in terms of complexity (easiest to hardest).

Now it's Dark Knight > Paladin > Warrior.

ebil

DRK really is okay. They kind of messed up the leveling process but it does eventually come together (at level 70, sadly). There's nothing wrong with the job that can't be fixed by slight numerical tweaking and thinking upon opportunity cost for some skills (which comes down to numerical tweaking). It'll be absolutely fine.

I do miss the pre SB Dark Knight.

Before it used to be Paladin > Warrior > Dark Knight in terms of complexity (easiest to hardest).

Now it's Dark Knight > Paladin > Warrior.
I do agree with this. I wish we had more relevant options for spending our MP in particular, but that's something they can fix. DRK is very forgiving at 70 and that's a good thing for what I intend to do with it, not being a tank main and all.

walei

Got my Susano weapon, Lakshmi accessories, and Ala Mhigan armors all decked out over the weekend. I'm ready to take on Omega! When is the patch notes coming out? Do you guys think they will tune Dragoons a little because I find LotD seriously lacking... Just too hard to keep up or when it's finally up the fight is at a dance phase with the mechanics.

As for EX Primal difficulty, it does seem easier but like any other high end content it's impossible when go through PUG with people that haven't cleared but once you beat it and get into a farm group it's more or less a cakewalk.

adversarial

Don't get pulled in by the "optimum meta is the only way to play" bunch. It's just as valid to play what you like. It's not like there will never be balance patches either.

Yeah, I feel that.

I raided hardcore in WoW for like 8 years, so I always had every tank available in-case there was one that was just that much better to have in the raid group.

Definitely digging DRK. Will most likely do Warrior next, though I wish it was a sword and board class.

Does GAF have a group who needs a tank to tackle the raid when it comes out? Are there people running stuff to gear? I will be on tonight doing just that if anyone needs a tank.

studyguy

My party had a PLD & MNK and still cleared A12 last time.
Meta doesn't really matter, but people are kidding themselves if they think it doesn't impact people's perception hard. Meta arguments don't come out of thin air at times, I know I struggled like a motherfucker as a PLD trying to proc physical attacks for skills in A12 when most were magical.

It's all rooted in a solid reason somewhere.

Anyway, GSM 69, MIN 70, PLD 70, leveling WAR/DRK at the same time atm.
Just taking it easy making money now and HQing my crafter/gathering gear to prep for new shit.

Luminaire

Got my Susano weapon, Lakshmi accessories, and Ala Mhigan armors all decked out over the weekend. I'm ready to take on Omega! When is the patch notes coming out? Do you guys think they will tune Dragoons a little because I find LotD seriously lacking... Just too hard to keep up or when it's finally up the fight is at a dance phase with the mechanics.

As for EX Primal difficulty, it does seem easier but like any other high end content it's impossible when go through PUG with people that haven't cleared but once you beat it and get into a farm group it's more or less a cakewalk.

Hopefully we'll see some tuning before Savage but I wouldn't be surprised if they just waited too 4.1.

The EX primals are piss easy when you have voice comms.

DRK really is okay. They kind of messed up the leveling process but it does eventually come together (at level 70, sadly). There's nothing wrong with the job that can't be fixed by slight numerical tweaking and thinking upon opportunity cost for some skills (which comes down to numerical tweaking). It'll be absolutely fine.

I do agree with this. I wish we had more relevant options for spending our MP in particular, but that's something they can fix. DRK is very forgiving at 70 and that's a good thing for what I intend to do with it, not being a tank main and all.

For me there was a balance between the three jobs before. If you wanted a simple tank, Paladin. If that was too simple for you then Warrior. If even that was too simple for you then you had Dark Knight which was as close to a DPS job as they could get.

They completely stripped that out since spamming Dark Arts constantly isn't anywhere close to providing the same entertainment as juggling all the oGCDs Dark Knight had, paying attention to Low Blow/Reprisal procs, getting most or all of them under Blood Weapon for maximum mana gain.

I think it's now I realize that the "reinforce job identity" thing was mostly fluff since they didn't do anything to reinforce Dark Knights identity. They stripped it out and replaced it with something that still lets you clear content but isn't as interesting as what came before imo.

I'll still play it because it works, and because they decided to add one of the only interesting tank CDs in the game to it for some reason.

Buggy Loop

So .. If i want to play Red mage, i need to be minimum level 50? If i start from scratch, there's absolutely no reason to "buy" anything right? I should use the free access and see if i even bother to level 35? And also, Does Stormblood include all previous games/expansions? Or i need ARR ?

Phatcorns

Hey everyone! Just started playing FFXIV a week ago or so, really enjoying it. All I have is the vanilla game, but Stormblood ($30 at GMG) and the complete collection ($40 at Target) are on sale right now.

Should I buy either of them now or is it going to take me hundreds of hours to even get to that content?

Also, will I be able to stack the free month that comes with them onto my subscription?

Thanks for any insight!

So .. If i want to play Red mage, i need to be minimum level 50? If i start from scratch, there's absolutely no reason to "buy" anything right? I should use the free access and see if i even bother to level 35? And also, Does Stormblood include all previous games/expansions? Or i need ARR ?

You need the base game (ARR) and Stormblood.. then you'll have access to all of the released content.

Also, will I be able to stack the free month that comes with them onto my subscription?

Thanks for any insight!

You won't get more free time from buying another copy of the game or the expansion.

So with DRK and SAM at 70 and i314, my main goals before Omega are complete. All that's left is to know about the stat weights so I can apply copious amounts of Materia VIs.

iammeiam

As for EX Primal difficulty, it does seem easier but like any other high end content it's impossible when go through PUG with people that haven't cleared.

This is extremely untrue, though. I've watched groups over-complicate the hell out of Lakshmi, or give each other nonsense instructions for Susano, but there's basically nothing in them that even remotely requires coordinated strategy. Susano lets one person fuck up and penalize everybody, but there's no group mechanic to it, just 'did this guy move over the line y/n?'

Oh yeah, protip for Blackest Night.

The animation is very misleading since the shield becomes active halfway through the animation instead of at the end where it makes intuitive visual sense (when the shield actually appears).

If you try to time the ability for when the shield appears you will only have around 2-3 seconds left on the shield.

It starts when you throw your arm back behind you before raising the sword.

Considering I cleared both in learning/clear PUGs, nah.

ebil

For me there was a balance between the three jobs before. If you wanted a simple tank, Paladin. If that was too simple for you then Warrior. If even that was too simple for you then you had Dark Knight which was as close to a DPS job as they could get.

They completely stripped that out since spamming Dark Arts constantly isn't anywhere close to providing the same entertainment as juggling all the oGCDs Dark Knight had, paying attention to Low Blow/Reprisal procs, getting most or all of them under Blood Weapon for maximum mana gain.

I think it's now I realize that the "reinforce job identity" thing was mostly fluff since they didn't do anything to reinforce Dark Knights identity. They stripped it out and replaced it with something that still lets you clear content but isn't as interesting as what came before imo.

I'll still play it because it works, and because they decided to add one of the only interesting tank CDs in the game to it for some reason.
Yeah, they basically gave DRK a completely different identity and dramatically revamped its playstyle. I won't lie, I loved the old playstyle too but I've often posted about how DRK lacked focus and identity before. I guess it's now more focused? Too bad they removed interesting parts of the job to achieve that. It's still very much okay for what I'll be doing with it but I can get tank mains being frustrated at how simplified it is compared to what it was.

PvP DRK though is probably the most fun I've had with any job so far (with SCH coming close). It's really fun.

Buggy Loop

One last thing, how comfy couch compatible is this game? As in, really good controller support for PC version? Gimped if i use it?

I used to play FFXI on controllers and it had really good support.

studyguy

Oh yeah, protip for Blackest Night.

The animation is very misleading since the shield becomes active halfway through the animation instead of at the end where it makes intuitive visual sense (when the shield actually appears).

If you try to time the ability for when the shield appears you will only have around 2-3 seconds left on the shield.

It starts when you throw your arm back behind you before raising the sword.

TBN is literally the worst animated new skill. Everything about TBN is misleading as fuck if you look at the animation alone.

Top Bottom