• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Luminaire

Man Susano and Lakshimi EX sure are eas...
YoshiP: Next primal has nothing but Soar mecahnics

RIP community.
I'm sure they looked at the low clear rates of Gordias and Midas and were given a shocking slap in the face about just how terrible the average player is.

One last thing, how comfy couch compatible is this game? As in, really good controller support for PC version? Gimped if i use it?

I used to play FFXI on controllers and it had really good support.

FFXIV support for controllers is stellar. I mean it kinda has to be since it is a console game as well has PC. You are not gimped at all for using a controller though for certain classes you might have to be creative in how you set up your cross-hotbar/hotbar.

eloxx

Hey everyone! Just started playing FFXIV a week ago or so, really enjoying it. All I have is the vanilla game, but Stormblood ($30 at GMG) and the complete collection ($40 at Target) are on sale right now.

Should I buy either of them now or is it going to take me hundreds of hours to even get to that content?

Also, will I be able to stack the free month that comes with them onto my subscription?

Thanks for any insight!

That is up to you to decide. But it takes hundreds of hours to even reach Stormblood. Except if you make use of a Jump Potion, altough I would not recommend that for a new player. The content consists of (Numbers are quest count):
  • ARR (184)
  • 7th Astral Era Quests (101)
  • Heavensward (94)
  • Dragonsong Quests (44)
Anyway: Welcome to the FFXIV family ;)

Baleoce

One last thing, how comfy couch compatible is this game? As in, really good controller support for PC version? Gimped if i use it?

Controller support is amazing in this game. It'll take a little while to get used to, but once it clicks there's nothing quite like it. I play mostly tank/dps so I can't vouch for healing, but I love it tbh. It's also by far the most comfortable way of doing repetitive tasks like crafting and gathering.
And netflix fishing..

Controller support is great, it can take a little while to get used to but I've never felt like I'm being held back by using a controller.

LordKasual

Banned

I exclusively play (and raid) on my DS4, even on PC. Best pad support i've ever seen in an MMO.

You'll still need a keyboard for typing but that's about it.

iammeiam

It's possible in the first week when those current farm group members were in DF, but they've all cleared it at this point so DF only has newbies and idiots.

This is inconsistent with PF as of like 18 hours ago, though. I get that it's the thing people say, but seriously learning and clear parties in PF aren't unmanageably bad if you just accept that your odds are 50/50 at best for a given new group.

I had a good experience with a group yesterday as a few people were in that hadn't cleared it but got past at least the first shell game (myself included) and a couple who hadn't done it pretty much at all. The furthest we got was 30% before enrage.

The two biggest issues I had were that one of the healers just... wasn't healing. A few of us died to the 2nd sword swipe (DPS check was good though) because there were no heals. The other is that people didn't pay attention to the lightning icon (or the thundercloud, for that matter), so unless there's a way to just have the whole group tank the thing constantly and make it a non-issue with protections and healing, inevitably we'd get smacked twice with lightning and several of us would die. Or we'd have a tank die for whatever reason and we'd never recover.

B.K.

I managed to beat Lakshmi last night with a DF group. We beat it once and never managed to again. I spent eight or nine hours Friday and Saturday night on Susano and never beat it. I had one group that kept getting to the enrage and couldn't do enough dps to get it below 20%.

Aesthet1c

So I just hit 70 over the weekend and got geared enough to do the two EX primals. What is the best route to successfully clear them? Should I just queue up through the duty finder or do I find a group in the party finder?

adversarial

I hit 70 on my DRK, but still have to do, like, the LV 63 class quest and up. I don't remember where the dude is to accept the quests is, though? Where can I find him?

Meguro

Banned
It took me 3 days of trying for like 5 hours each day to clear Susano EX once.
People just got overwhelmed at the last 20% or so when he combined mechanics.
I've never hit the enrage of a boss that often in any MMO I've played.
After that it went very smoothly with people that had finished it already.
Lakshmi EX was on the fifth try with some random DF group. It's a pretty forgiving fight.

adversarial

I managed to beat Lakshmi last night with a DF group. We beat it once and never managed to again. I spent eight or nine hours Friday and Saturday night on Susano and never beat it. I had one group that kept getting to the enrage and couldn't do enough dps to get it below 20%.

Jesus. Hoping I get a good group for it.

IvorB

Well, I have to say that I think BLM plays beautifully at 70. I was doubting a couple of the new moves but Polyglot, Foul, Between the Lines and Triple Cast are all really fun additions. The only one I am scratching my head about is level 68 trait. So Flare cost is reduced but still seems to need a sh*t load of mana and I am wondering why I would do a Flare instead of just rolling out more Fire II's and Flaring at the end as normal. Haven't done the maths on it yet though so maybe.

Between the Lines is great when you put down the Ley Lines and the inevitable AOE lands on it but now it's: "actually f**k you; I've got a move for that now".

Edit: Forgot a shout out to BLM AOE. Sh*t is off the charts now. Tanks seem to really be struggling with it in the dungeons I have done.

Sissel

They need to fix enmity on paladin.

I know I am an OP bard, but I should not be ripping hate as easy as I do.
Sounds more like a bad Paladin, I don't know how people are having so many threat issues. I main DPS but decided to take my WAR to 70 and didn't have much of an issue in dungeons, even while stance dancing.

My party had a PLD & MNK and still cleared A12 last time.
Meta doesn't really matter, but people are kidding themselves if they think it doesn't impact people's perception hard. Meta arguments don't come out of thin air at times, I know I struggled like a motherfucker as a PLD trying to proc physical attacks for skills in A12 when most were magical.

It's all rooted in a solid reason somewhere.

Anyway, GSM 69, MIN 70, PLD 70, leveling WAR/DRK at the same time atm.
Just taking it easy making money now and HQing my crafter/gathering gear to prep for new shit.

Someone from my FC got kicked out a pt because she was a SCH.

Think I found my next armor glamour to go after
8975ddeabf654ee582c4ef5a7cae9f7f746d9d62.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, I have to say that I think BLM plays beautifully at 70. I was doubting a couple of the new moves but Polyglot, Foul, Between the Lines and Triple Cast are all really fun additions. The only one I am scratching my head about is level 68 trait. So Flare cost is reduced but still seems to need a sh*t load of mana and I am wondering why I would do a Flare instead of just rolling out more Fire II's and Flaring at the end as normal. Haven't done the maths on it yet though so maybe.

Between the Lines is great when you put down the Ley Lines and the inevitable AOE lands on it but now it's: "actually f**k you; I've got a move for that now".

Edit: Forgot a shout out to BLM AOE. Sh*t is off the charts now. Tanks seem to really be struggling with it in the dungeons I have done.

If things go right, using the enochian status, triple cast, Flare and the mana HP swap, you can get in 3 rapid Flares. Now find a way to quick cast in a Foul in the middle somewhere, and now you've glassed the planet.

Yeah, they basically gave DRK a completely different identity and dramatically revamped its playstyle. I won't lie, I loved the old playstyle too but I've often posted about how DRK lacked focus and identity before. I guess it's now more focused? Too bad they removed interesting parts of the job to achieve that. It's still very much okay for what I'll be doing with it but I can get tank mains being frustrated at how simplified it is compared to what it was.

PvP DRK though is probably the most fun I've had with any job so far (with SCH coming close). It's really fun.

I'll agree that old Dark Knight didn't have a real solid identity. It was more like a physical sword bruiser type than an actual Dark Knight if that makes any sense.

That's why I think they should have given it a one winged darkness form like I mentioned before along with alterations to some attack animations while in that form and additional effects on certain abilities (Delirium could be used to extend this mode maybe). The Blood Gauge could have been used for this instead of what it does now. It would have put it up there with Warrior on the coolness level (Inner Release is hype as fuck).

Instead they gave them two piddly sword moves instead of making them real Dark Knights worthy of the name.

PvP Dark Knight is pretty good though. You can solo most jobs on your own because of the HP drain and Blackest Night.

Short CD Holmgang-like is really good too for dragging people into your group.

What does that positioning actually accomplish, though? I didn't complain when they started doing it, but the only difference I noticed was that it made it impossible to bait the knock back into the super short run you can get from tanking up north.

For me not much, except we were eating less lightning somehow. And we avoided that wonky diagonal knockback we get when some with purple marker also gets knockback.

Tried Susano EX after a bajillion hour queue...it was a disaster. I watched vids and had a guide open during the fight (on 2nd monitor) so pretty sure I wasn't fucking up in particular but we wiped 3 times, a Tank got super pissy and left and then everyone started leaving one by one.

I felt so bad/embarrassed after asking people from FC for help >_>

It seemed fine, albeit Susano hits pretty hard if you get Churn and those little electric AoE things...but sigh. Another time, i guess

Qvoth

just realized ala mhigan caster set has no spellspeed on body and legs jesus
wtzgU.gif

Tried Susano EX after a bajillion hour queue...it was a disaster. I watched vids and had a guide open during the fight (on 2nd monitor) so pretty sure I wasn't fucking up in particular but we wiped 3 times, a Tank got super pissy and left and then everyone started leaving one by one.

I felt so bad/embarrassed after asking people from FC for help >_>

It seemed fine, albeit Susano hits pretty hard if you get Churn and those little electric AoE things...but sigh. Another time, i guess

you should be better off making a 1st timer practice party finder group

kromeo

Sounds more like a bad Paladin, I don't know how people are having so many threat issues. I main DPS but decided to take my WAR to 70 and didn't have much of an issue in dungeons, even while stance dancing.

Occasionally I'll run in and flash, circle of scorn and a RDM will still manage to pull something before I can even get a combo off, they're my only nemesis so far. I would think a lot of tanks are still using all VIT accessories as well so that won't help

I think the lowest point for me, was when my pf group tanks couldn't survive the tankbuster, and not because they weren't swapping I was like "what!". I doubt seriously that the PLD was using intervention on the DRK, or they were actually using CD's at all...

adversarial

Occasionally I'll run in and flash, circle of scorn and a RDM will still manage to pull something before I can even get a combo off, they're my only nemesis so far. I would think a lot of tanks are still using all VIT accessories as well so that won't help

I've taken to marking priority targets, and 95% of the time it works swimmingly on my DRK. The other 5% is a RDM hard-casting into a random target that I haven't touched yet.

studyguy

I think the lowest point for me, was when my pf group tanks couldn't survive the tankbuster, and not because they weren't swapping I was like "what!". I doubt seriously that the PLD was using intervention on the DRK, or they were actually using CD's at all...

A LS mate and I were like "HEY MAN I GOT AN IDEA LETS DO THE MENAGARIE FOR EASY FIRST TIME BONUSES FOR WT!!"

3 hours later 0 clears, 0 bonuses.
At one point he (a healer) LB3'd to raise the enite party since only he and I were left standing at around 12% on the boss. "Man we finally got one we did it-" It casts the spell that freezes the ground and everyone slides off into oblivion immediately after being raised. My friend just took the 30m penalty for abandoning after that.

The more I look at it the more I am disgusted by this situation of people sitting in queues for long periods of time waiting for someone to pop in playing a job that people don't want to play.

Wilsongt

It seems to be mostly Paladin having issues. Only tank I get rip threat from.

Hey everyone! Just started playing FFXIV a week ago or so, really enjoying it. All I have is the vanilla game, but Stormblood ($30 at GMG) and the complete collection ($40 at Target) are on sale right now.

Should I buy either of them now or is it going to take me hundreds of hours to even get to that content?

I play this game on and off, and only just yesterday finished all the pre-expansion Main Story Quests. My playtime is about 120 hours.

A lot of that is waiting in queues and stuff, but it'll still probably take you at least 100 hours to get to Heavensward.

I'm a dummie that bought both expansions at release even though I couldn't play them, and it's nice just knowing that I have all the content unlocked. Because I have Stormblood, I'm able to play as RDM for the 2.x and Heavensward content even though I'm nowhere close to getting to the main Stormblood areas.

Heysoos

I was doing the Odin primal trial thing, and Jesus Christ. People have a hard time with AoEs. DPS kept taking a bunch of unnecessary damage to avoidable AoEs, so that when the area wide AoEs happened our Healers were constantly behind. I kept taking that big tank busting hit and would never get a heal thrown my way because healers were still trying to bring everyone up. One guy kept moving the marked AoEs into me while I was trying to tank Odin. We got to the 50% extra damage and heal buff and we still couldn't clear it. Second group clears it without even a wipe and that's because we had four players who were barely doing it for the first time.

kromeo

The more I look at it the more I am disgusted by this situation of people sitting in queues for long periods of time waiting for someone to pop in playing a job that people don't want to play.

I'm sure I remember them saying that they were'nt making a new tank class for the expansion because they were making large scale changes to the way tanking worked in the game, that was obviously a load of bs though... 2 new dps was a stupid decision

studyguy

Feel like too many PLD atm are trying too hard to pull their full rotation instead of just keeping hate instead in a dungeon. Staying in shield oath a second longer to land that enmity isn't a big deal. I'll gladly stay in ShO the entire dungeon if I feel like the healer is questionable. You get a RoH, you get a RoH, everyone gets a RoH.

Personally I don't level DPS till I've leveled my 3 tanks first. I figure by that point, the DPS sprees are done and some people are leveling tanks/healers.

creid

I got bored doing gathering leves so I switched to doing 61 & 63 collectibles... and this is still going to take forever. Though I'm getting a ton of reading done while waiting for my GP to recover, so there's that. I really appreciate that my upgraded red scrip gear is going to last me all the way until level 70 :p

studyguy

I got bored doing gathering leves so I switched to doing 61 & 63 collectibles... and this is still going to take forever. Though I'm getting a ton of reading done while waiting for my GP to recover, so there's that. I really appreciate that my upgraded red scrip gear is going to last me all the way until level 70 :p

Red script augmented gear is the real MVP this patch.

Do leves while you wait for the unspoiled nodes to respawn + commercial manual spam. Took me like 4 hours yesterday to go from 60 to 70 on my MIN

IvorB

If things go right, using the enochian status, triple cast, Flare and the mana HP swap, you can get in 3 rapid Flares. Now find a way to quick cast in a Foul in the middle somewhere, and now you've glassed the planet.

Yeah I've been loving some of the combos you can do now :). But my question is: is it mana efficient to cast Flare at the reduced mana cost versus just sticking to doing Fire II? I think I will take a look when I log on again.

kromeo

My gatherers are both 64 and that's just from messing around while in queues, they feel pretty fast to me. That has been with with rest bonus though

I'm sure I remember them saying that they were'nt making a new tank class for the expansion because they were making large scale changes to the way tanking worked in the game, that was obviously a load of bs though... 2 new dps was a stupid decision

It's more to do with the fundamental design of the game itself. They're using a system that requires shackling people to one or two people that have taken a dive by playing some of the less fulfilling jobs in the game.

Unless someone takes that hit you don't get in.

I played tank for more than 2 years, I deserve to have actual fun for a while as SAM.Tank you.

To be clear, I am not disgusted at any players, they are blameless in this situation.

You shouldn't ever be punished for playing what you find fun. If you play DPS, you shouldn't have to sit in 30+ minute queues to get a group just because you chose what you find fun to play. This is a game after all, people play them to enjoy themselves.

The problem here is at the design level, where they've created jobs that most people play and require that people play jobs that aren't as fun to play to even get into content.

adversarial

It's more to do with the fundamental design of the game itself. They're using a system that requires shackling people to one or two people that have taken a dive by playing some of the less fulfilling jobs in the game.

Unless someone takes that hit you don't get in.

To be clear, I am not disgusted at any players, they are blameless in this situation.

You shouldn't ever be punished for playing what you find fun. If you play DPS, you shouldn't have to sit in 30+ minute queues to get a group just because you chose what you find fun to play. This is a game after all, people play them to enjoy themselves.

The problem here is at the design level, where they've created jobs that most people play and require that people play jobs that aren't as fun to play to even get into content.

I mean... that is a constant issue in any MMO I've played. People like to DPS. They don't like to Heal and they don't like to tank.

kromeo

It doesn't help that the 2 classes they added happen to be hugely anticipated, and probably the 2 most popular classes from XI.. It's not like everyone flooded to mch and even ninja died down pretty quickly

Top Bottom