• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

adversarial

I believe he's saying there shouldn't be tanks or healers - the game should be designed around having no distinct roles, thus allowing everyone equal queues.

Ah, I see. I hated Guild Wars 2 because of that. I absolutely love having the distinction of being the tank and have the healer watching my back. All hail the trinity.

kromeo

We all laughed, but the system of kicking everyone before peak hours, is actually working.

116 queue in Ragnarok (used to be around 2k before)

I think we laughed because we thought it would crash the servers when everyone tried to get back in, but it seemed to work fine. Plus I'm sure some people here were ones staying logged in all day at their retainers

I hope Omega normal isn't as difficult for people as the final SB trial was. I really don't want to struggle to get my weekly loot each and every week.

Shy Fingers

Banned
I hope Omega normal isn't as difficult for people as the final SB trial was. I really don't want to struggle to get my weekly loot each and every week.

Even if it is, they will end up learning it. Since they have to farm it, they'll at least learn how to get by. Just might be rough in the beginning.

Squishy3

I don't know if anyone's talked about this but the Beyond-Savage difficulty fight coming in the odd patches is being designed by Kenji Sudo. (Titan, A3S, etc.)

First tier of Omega being designed by the person who's in charge of the 24 man alliance raids, 2nd by Refurbisher designer, 3rd and 4th by Kenji Sudo again. 4th tier fight is going to have unique stuff in Savage (Like A8S) and is supposed to be slightly more difficult than A12S.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comm...ge_will_be_as_easy_as_creator_savage/djqawhd/

I'd imagine at least the final fight in normal mode to be as difficult as that.

scy

By introducing defense abilities such as physical damage resistance 20% up into role shared abilities, in their stead, we can create new unique abilities for jobs. You might think it will become easier, but the matter of fact is that it won’t. We will remove useless parts in order to strengthen party cooperation and skill rotation.

-> proceed to get tanks that don't take Rampart, Reprisal, Provoke, or Shirk.

I feel like getting better and better skills in Role Action has simply made many of the situations worse.

Even if it is, they will end up learning it. Since they have to farm it, they'll at least learn how to get by. Just might be rough in the beginning.

Man, and here I consider myself pretty optimistic...

Smilax

Level 47 Paladin here, new to the game and all and been having a blast. My question is, what is the best way to level up, I can't do my next ARR story quest until I'm level 49.

scy

If we do right limb, left limb, fuck it in the head we go again I'm going to just frown.

It's the only way I can sleep at night, don't take this away from me!

The secret is to just do 3-4 AM PFs instead of sleep. Who needs to dream up nightmares, face them yourself!

iammeiam

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comm...ge_will_be_as_easy_as_creator_savage/djqawhd/

I'd imagine at least the final fight in normal mode to be as difficult as that.

I know they're super in love with mid-fight QTEs, but I'm hoping we've passed the expiration date on calling QTEs new.

So there's zero chance we'll actually be fighting Omega at all in the first tier of this Omega raid right? Lol.

Will we fight baby Omega in his subconscious or something.

I was kind of right about Alexander! Just inception crystals instead of straf dolls.

If we do right limb, left limb, fuck it in the head we go again I'm going to just frown.

<insert salt about Raid Finder meaning we never gathered outside of what should have been the best Alexander entrance but ended up just being a dead space on the map they later modeled in-instance so we could fight Worst Faust.>

Squishy3

So there's zero chance we'll actually be fighting Omega at all in the first tier of this Omega raid right? Lol.
I don't even think we'll end up fighting Omega at all, tbh. I don't think that's going to be the goal of the raid series at all. The initial slide was just "Interdimensional Rift - Omega: The Bend of Time."

It just wouldn't make sense with the way the story previously handled Omega, we're probably going to be dealing with whatever threats exist in the Interdimensional Rift and trying to recover Omega

If you didn't finish all of Heavensward (going into Stormblood) don't read this or click the link

Although there is this interesting thing Krile says when she's standing around before you go up and talk to Lyse on the platform https://puu.sh/v1Pxo/68528283f4.png

Matchew

Level 47 Paladin here, new to the game and all and been having a blast. My question is, what is the best way to level up, I can't do my next ARR story quest until I'm level 49.

I was there a few days ago, but I think I was 46 it was awful. I played pvp...

Clunker

As a tank, doing and re-doing the highest-level dungeon is your best bet since you'll have a super-low queue time. You can do PVP to mix it up if you'd like but that's probably the way to go.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I was literally in the same exact spot as you this week. Its awful. Do your daily dungeon / guildhests if you haven't its a good chunk.

Also I didn't really touch my hunting log until around then and a its -huge- basically free chunk of XP.

duckroll

I don't even think we'll end up fighting Omega at all, tbh. I don't think that's going to be the goal of the raid series at all. The initial slide was just "Interdimensional Rift - Omega: The Bend of Time."

It just wouldn't make sense with the way the story previously handled Omega, we're probably going to be dealing with whatever threats exist in the Interdimensional Rift and trying to recover Omega

If you didn't finish all of Heavensward (going into Stormblood) don't read this or click the link

Although there is this interesting thing Krile says when she's standing around before you go up and talk to Lyse on the platform https://puu.sh/v1Pxo/68528283f4.png

"Interdimensional Rift" is a FFV reference. Spoilers for 3.5 and beyond (up to SB ending):
Both Omega and Shinryu are optional bosses in FFV's Interdimensional Rift dungeon. That's where they both originated. If they take this reference to it's natural conclusion, then possible bosses in the raid series would be Omega, Shinryu, Gilgamesh, and Exdeath. Since we already fought Shinryu, maybe they'll take inspiration from the FFV GBA addition of Neo Shinryu? Too hard?

"Interdimensional Rift" is a FFV reference. Spoilers for 3.5 and beyond (up to SB ending):
Both Omega and Shinryu are optional bosses in FFV's Interdimensional Rift dungeon. That's where they both originated. If they take this reference to it's natural conclusion, then possible bosses in the raid series would be Omega, Shinryu, Gilgamesh, and Exdeath. Since we already fought Shinryu, maybe they'll take inspiration from the FFV GBA addition of Neo Shinryu? Too hard?

It's pretty clear that the final boss of O12 will be
Gilgamesh riding Omega while wielding Exdeath.

Heartfyre

Considering the number of deviations we've had from the source material already,
and how we'll have twelve tiers by the end, I'm not expecting it to follow FFV's format too closely. But we're definitely getting Exdeath. Maybe even tomorrow.

We'll see if they can salvage Gil from Hildy's universe. I'd like to see them try.

DarkKyo

This is probably common knowledge but I'm not sure where to find it.. is it known what the ilevel requirement will be for Omega normal tomorrow? Wondering how much I have to grind my ilevel up today as I just finished the MSQ a couple days ago.

Squishy3

I understand that, I just think it's hard to see Omega as becoming a boss in this unless it becomes corrupted by something from the Rift. The goal of Garlond Ironworks will probably be retrieval of Omega so other people can't use it, and they confirmed it went in stasis after the battle with Shinryu.

adversarial

This is probably common knowledge but I'm not sure where to find it.. is it known what the ilevel requirement will be for Omega normal tomorrow? Wondering how much I have to grind my ilevel up today as I just finished the MSQ a couple days ago.

I thought it wasn't until next next week? Is it out tomorrow?

duckroll

OK4gj3B.png

Wilsongt

Well

Gilgamesh is already used. ExDeath might show up. Shinryu is a current trial. Omega Prime will most likely be the final boss. As for IR enemies: Califisteri wad already used and Apanda. Twintania is gone and Halicarnassis.

So maybe Catastrophw, Azulmagia, And Necrophone. Plus various collections of enemies from 12 and 13 as trash.

Stuart444

Well

Gilgamesh is already used. ExDeath might show up. Shinryu is a current trial. Omega Prime will most likely be the final boss. As for IR enemies: Califisteri wad already used and Apanda. Twintania is gone and Halicarnassis.

So maybe Catastrophw, Azulmagia, And Necrophone. Plus various collections of enemies from 12 and 13 as trash.

All these FFV references... I should really complete it at some point. Only ever gotten to when you get Krille iirc.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can already tell that head lamp is going to be some annoying mechanic. And there's going to be a phase where he summons like a billion bits.

Preview of DRG in Omega
tumblr_ngsw2o9dHT1rjxyrgo2_400.gif

kromeo

You guys ever wonder how gathering gear is supposed to improve abilities for gathering. Like my mining AF looks helpful for mining, hard hat and thick gloves. But this new 70 poncho and poof hat? Like how is this supposed to help me hit rocks?

Even miners have to feel sexy sometimes

517fpFK.gif

Kenai

Ah, I see. I hated Guild Wars 2 because of that. I absolutely love having the distinction of being the tank and have the healer watching my back. All hail the trinity.

GW2 is nice for what it is but I got bored with it pretty quickly. I heard they added trinity stuff but that by itself didn't interest me enough. I know a few people that still log onto the OG GW from time to time too. Again options are nice but I definitely seem to prefer trinity mmos myself. Healing is bae. I hate tanking and like DPSing far less, only like DPS with healing or supporty options like RDM and the ranged. DPS queues are bad in general, and when the only new jobs are DPS it got worse. How could anyone have foreseen this.

I am kinda salty that despite there not being new new tanks or healers "to screw up class balance" that was about the only thing they seemed to do in regards to both outside of the class wide role adjustments, but in a nutshell I guess things did up up better off. I just feel like they thought because they only released 2 dps they were allowed to slack in that regard. Anyone else feel that way? lol

-> proceed to get tanks that don't take Rampart, Reprisal, Provoke, or Shirk.

I feel like getting better and better skills in Role Action has simply made many of the situations worse.

Just ask them to take them in that case I guess? There's a rule that if you allow people to make a bad choice in your game someone somewhere is going to make it, but I do think overall this is definitely preferable to what we had. Some choices are much better or worse than others depending on the situation for sure, but I haven't seen a single one that's always going to be a bad choice (like some of WoW's talents post rework, although they were likely better about buffing/nerfing them than SE is gonna be). Like when we saw the 71 point Frost Mage in WoW had to deal with that there too, and that didn't change all that much when they dumbed down talents there either, but the amount of objectively bad choices did go way down. I think it did here too.

As long as they continue to adjust things as needed (like now) and fix some of their more questionable design choices we should definitely have better class balance and cohesiveness than last expac for sure. It's not as good as I was hoping but yea.

scy

Just ask them to take them in that case I guess?

Oh, I usually do, at least in the case of Shirk (because I am now the laziest tank due to this with PF randoms). It's more the case of becoming the bad guy for asking.

Was mostly just noting the whole Provoke situation of before to the current situation. At least now there's no "I don't have it" excuse, which admittedly is a huge step up.

Then again, it took until A9 for them to add in the "Carry an object" mechanic from Neverreap into a raid scenario.

I keep telling myself there had to have been more to this mechanic in the original A9S design. There had to be.

R0ckman

At mining unspoiled nodes I'm noticing people maximizing collectabiliy over the amount harvested. Why?

If I walk away with 1 more minimum required collectibles I fare better.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My MT/OT not having shirk really rubs me the wrong way but I guess it's still early.
At mining undpoiled nodes I'm noticing people maximizing collectabiliy over the amount harvested. Why?

If I walk away with 2 more minimum required collectibles I fare better.

They failed algebra. That or their gear is too low to hit 450 without 3 Discerning Eye.

At mining unspoiled nodes I'm noticing people maximizing collectabiliy over the amount harvested. Why?

If I walk away with 1 more minimum required collectibles I fare better.
I mean, maximizing collectability and the amount collected go hand in hand since there's really just one rotation. As you progress in gear the number of collectables you can get also goes up because of Impulsive scaling

iammeiam

I think role options bug me at this point because just let me have all 10 at once and decide what I want to bind. Stuff like Esuna being in there and optional bugs me because it didn't used to waste a cross-role slot before! It's not like most of the role actions are fun/cool/flexible.

I keep telling myself there had to have been more to this mechanic in the original A9S design. There had to be.

I have told you and anyone else who will listen 234,464,243 times that the reason the batteries do a small amount of damage when you place them is clearly because they originally applied a vuln to make having one person do two sets in a row impossible. Enforced responsibility swap/tank swap/etc.

Then around the time they decided the A11S ATM was too hard if you had to push a specific button, and I assume when the NA localization decided to fuck up A12S debuff names (literally the connectivity between the Alex tier bosses!) they removed it.

Shy Fingers

Banned

You don't find picking up an item just to put it over there to activate a trash mob fun?!

I really wish the towers in A11 were better thought out. How you could essentially ignore all of them but one seemed like a huge oversight on their part.

Hey Everyone,

Quick question. I've been trying to get back into the game, but wanted to see if I could get my 1.0 character back from Square. After about 3 tickets of them saying they couldn't find it, I go to make a new character today, and BAM, there he is. I see my current job is listed as a level 50 lancer, but when I go to log in with him I get the following message:

"To log in with this character from version 1.0, you must first specify the Disciple of War or Magic class you wish to begin the game as. You are also granted one opportunity to edit your character's race, tribe, gender, appearance, and name."

Now, the way that reads to me is "Hey, you get to start all over!". I was wondering if someone could clarify that for me before I start.

Thanks!

studyguy

Fully expect one battle to be like the azim steppe mario party mechanics. I can see that being pretty brutal amid getting fucked by big hits.

studyguy

Hey Everyone,

Quick question. I've been trying to get back into the game, but wanted to see if I could get my 1.0 character back from Square. After about 3 tickets of them saying they couldn't find it, I go to make a new character today, and BAM, there he is. I see my current job is listed as a level 50 lancer, but when I go to log in with him I get the following message:

"To log in with this character from version 1.0, you must first specify the Disciple of War or Magic class you wish to begin the game as. You are also granted one opportunity to edit your character's race, tribe, gender, appearance, and name."

Now, the way that reads to me is "Hey, you get to start all over!". I was wondering if someone could clarify that for me before I start.

Thanks!

You remake your character at the start of 2.0 iirc. They just start with all their gear in calamity salvagers

scy

I have told you and anyone else who will listen 234,464,243 times that the reason the batteries do a small amount of damage when you place them is clearly because they originally applied a vuln to make having one person do two sets in a row impossible. Enforced responsibility swap/tank swap/etc.

Pretty much; literally any more involvement or, I dunno, randomize where the adds dropped. Something.

I really wish the towers in A11 were better thought out. How you could essentially ignore all of them but one seemed like a huge oversight on their part.

Really, it's just the boss just doesn't have enough HP for you to need them to. The fight totally gets sketchy with respect to tower HP when you look at the second rotation of the final phase. It's just we got to treat second GA-100 as the enrage instead and go from there.

Kenai

Oh, I usually do, at least in the case of Shirk (because I am now the laziest tank due to this with PF randoms). It's more the case of becoming the bad guy for asking.

Was mostly just noting the whole Provoke situation of before to the current situation. At least now there's no "I don't have it" excuse, which admittedly is a huge step up.

Yea, i understand better now. I do think that the really obvious stuff should just be baseline and the more situational stuff be crossrole. Like 3 things from every set of crossrole options should just be baseline. Provoke Protect Shirk Swiftcast ect

I think role options bug me at this point because just let me have all 10 at once and decide what I want to bind. Stuff like Esuna being in there and optional bugs me because it didn't used to waste a cross-role slot before! It's not like most of the role actions are fun/cool/flexible.

This is my main complaint with cross role. Especially if I don't know a fight beforehand. How the f*ck am I supposed to know if I will need Esuna? When would I ever not take Protect? And then like WHM got so much of their old stuff just put on cross role no wonder they felt shafted (even if they are better than we thought).

More of the cross role stuff imo should be hand lifted from PvP (I can't believe I am typing this) and no brainer stuff like Protect/Esuna/Swiftcast should just be baseline for everyone. Like Life Grip is basically Deorbit which is an AST only thing in PvP. Miasma 2 is in there still as an AoE knockback for SCH. I'm sure a lot of people have played at least a few new matches by now to know what I mean with random revamped kinda cool class specific abilities. If Role abilities can get that kinda work put into them that'd likely be much more fun.

Luminaire

I hated doing anything not solo in GW2 because of their non-trinity system. Everything was chaos and dungeons were nothing but corpse runs, World V World was fantastic though.

creid

Unspoiled nodes give more red scrips
More red scrips = more commercial manuals and Hi Cordials, which means much faster leveling. Grab all 3 leves for your level range, burn GP on an evaluation leve, gather GP on the other leve types, cordial up, unspoiled node, rinse, repeat.
I started with a full stack of Hi Cordials last night and ended up going through about half of them.

Don't do unspoiled nodes at your level.

For 50-60, I did the level 50 unspoiled node only, because once you're higher level you can squeeze more collectables at the required collectability out of one node. Since each collectable is a chunk of exp, oftentimes grabbing more collectables nets you more exp than grabbing less collectables of nodes at your level.
I seem to already be getting the max collectability per hit, so how is the bolded true? Is it because I'll have fewer misses, since my chance to fail the gathering chance will be lower?

The same applied when leveling between 60 and 70. I only bashed the unspoiled 60 node, supplemented with leves which were really generous with the exp. Plus hq gc hand in.
Dammit, I forgot all about the GC hand ins!

Top Bottom