• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Stuart444

For 60 - 70 MIN, I just did the highest node and it's been a quick ride with enough scrips to gear up my BTN and get some of the HW folklore stuff that I haven't got. As long as I get to 493 collectable, I usually get level 3 with the occasional level 2 collectible. It's been rather fast but if you want to do it in 1 day instead of 3 or so days then supplementing with leves probably helps.

edit: Oh and GC hand-ins. Never not do them. some nice exp

MikeBison

Final boss down. Took 4 tries with my friend heading and the rest DF. Quite a few newbies too.

Was epic on a scale not seen in many games. Doing that with 7 other people was cool as fuck!

Zomba13

Hey Everyone,

Quick question. I've been trying to get back into the game, but wanted to see if I could get my 1.0 character back from Square. After about 3 tickets of them saying they couldn't find it, I go to make a new character today, and BAM, there he is. I see my current job is listed as a level 50 lancer, but when I go to log in with him I get the following message:

"To log in with this character from version 1.0, you must first specify the Disciple of War or Magic class you wish to begin the game as. You are also granted one opportunity to edit your character's race, tribe, gender, appearance, and name."

Now, the way that reads to me is "Hey, you get to start all over!". I was wondering if someone could clarify that for me before I start.

Thanks!

They are just asking "what do you want to start as" You keep all levels, gear and everything else you had from 1.0. You just get to pick your starting class for 2.0. For example, I had a lvl 40 something Monk, gladiator levelled a bit and a few others, I remade my character into a cat boy and picked Arcanist (summoner) as my starting class and kept everything. All it does it decide your starting city and what the game sets you as when you begin.

dramatis

I seem to already be getting the max collectability per hit, so how is the bolded true? Is it because I'll have fewer misses, since my chance to fail the gathering chance will be lower?
There is no max collectability, only minimum.

As the node's level is higher, it becomes more difficult to reach that minimum collectability with a few strikes.

If you are lvl 65, and you're getting lvl 65 collectables, on a node with 8 possible strikes you might have to expend 5 strikes to get to the min collectability, so you are left gathering only 3 collectables.

If you are lvl 65 and you're getting lvl 60 collectables, on a node with 8 possible strikes you would not only have higher gathering chance, you probably could use 3 strikes to get min collectability and thus can get 5 collectables.

The general idea is like that, where gathering collectables at a lower level node might oddly net you more exp than a higher level node.

creid

Hey Everyone,

Quick question. I've been trying to get back into the game, but wanted to see if I could get my 1.0 character back from Square. After about 3 tickets of them saying they couldn't find it, I go to make a new character today, and BAM, there he is. I see my current job is listed as a level 50 lancer, but when I go to log in with him I get the following message:

"To log in with this character from version 1.0, you must first specify the Disciple of War or Magic class you wish to begin the game as. You are also granted one opportunity to edit your character's race, tribe, gender, appearance, and name."

Now, the way that reads to me is "Hey, you get to start all over!". I was wondering if someone could clarify that for me before I start.

Thanks!

They are just asking "what do you want to start as" You keep all levels, gear and everything else you had from 1.0. You just get to pick your starting class for 2.0. For example, I had a lvl 40 something Monk, gladiator levelled a bit and a few others, I remade my character into a cat boy and picked Arcanist (summoner) as my starting class and kept everything. All it does it decide your starting city and what the game sets you as when you begin.
To add on to what Zomba said: the 2.0 story is going to give a lot of XP, so I would recommend picking something other than Lancer, so that the XP doesn't go to waste.

R0ckman

Final boss down. Took 4 tries with my friend heading and the rest DF. Quite a few newbies too.

Was epic on a scale not seen in many games. Doing that with 7 other people was cool as fuck!

I got screwed over pretty bad in the 2nd phase. During the huge cone AOE that knocks you off the stage there was one time I actually beat 2 or three people to the safe spot before the AOE timer finished and I was still the only one knocked off.

creid

There is no max collectability, only minimum.

As the node's level is higher, it becomes more difficult to reach that minimum collectability with a few strikes.

If you are lvl 65, and you're getting lvl 65 collectables, on a node with 8 possible strikes you might have to expend 5 strikes to get to the min collectability, so you are left gathering only 3 collectables.

If you are lvl 65 and you're getting lvl 60 collectables, on a node with 8 possible strikes you would not only have higher gathering chance, you probably could use 3 strikes to get min collectability and thus can get 5 collectables.

The general idea is like that, where gathering collectables at a lower level node might oddly net you more exp than a higher level node.
I'll have to pay closer attention to my collectability numbers then. When I started doing collectables at level 60 in 3.0, I found that after hitting a certain amount of Perception, I wasn't getting any additional collectability per hit. I assumed that since (in 4.0) I'm using augmented red scrip gear, I'm still above the "perception cap". If there isn't a perception cap for these 61+nodes, I'll have to keep a closer eye on the numbers I'm doing.

Ruff

The defender skillset on my companion doesn't seem very useful if I can't order it to attack, or am missing something obvious? I'm guessing healer+attacker is the way to spec on these

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The defender skillset on my companion doesn't seem very useful if I can't order it to attack, or am missing something obvious? I'm guessing healer+attacker is the way to spec on these

Defender is a tank stance, meaning it is better at holding aggro and mitigating damage to self.

You can tell it to attack stuff using the shortcuts under Action & Traits -> Companion

Ruff

Defender is a tank stance, meaning it is better at holding aggro and mitigating damage to self.

You can tell it to attack stuff using the shortcuts under Action & Traits -> Companion

I think you might mean arcanist pets? I'm using my Choco and there are only options to set stances there or follow me unless i'm being a doof.

Chances are we fight some mix of garliean robots and shit that went into the rift after it. I fully expect omega itself to be back on our side by the final turn and see it battling whatever around the arena while we fight some other thing.

Haly

I think you might mean arcanist pets? I'm using my Choco and there are only options to set stances there or follow me unless i'm being a doof.

YOd0lhf.png

ebil

Considering the gear that'll be dropping in Omega Delta, I'll be disappointed if we don't fight
Gilgamesh again, as Yoshida has said he might be returning in Stormblood a few months ago.

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate thread, but any Canadian players here?
I'm about to try out the free trial, but I'm apprehensive about the subscription fee because it might charge me in US Dollars, which will suck for me if I get charged like 25 CAD per month. I'm on PS4, if that's relevant.

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate thread, but any Canadian players here?
I'm about to try out the free trial, but I'm apprehensive about the subscription fee because it might charge me in US Dollars, which will suck for me if I get charged like 25 CAD per month. I'm on PS4, if that's relevant.

It will charge you in US Dollars. You might be able to find game time cards in your local shops though.

creid

Ok?? None of those make my companion attack unless I attack first though, which seems to render the defender skills pointless since it can't take aggro off me unless I stop attacking for 10 seconds.
Yes, the defender stance is pretty pointless because it rarely can take aggro unless you're DPSing half-assedly. AFAIK there is no way to get your chocobo to attack before you do.

Squishy3

Considering the gear that'll be dropping in Omega Delta, I'll be disappointed if we don't fight
Gilgamesh again, as Yoshida has said he might be returning in Stormblood a few months ago.
The uh reddit post I posted a link to awhile back talks a bit about what enemy types we'll be seeing in Omega.

oops, double post

Squishy3

Going by Gordias, should be 310? Though I'm not sure you can hit 310 without Lakshmi, I dunno
Going by Gordias, Gordias was 170 required to enter which is 25 above what you needed to finish HW, but SB launch gear numbers are kinda weird compared to HW considering the uncapped tomestones don't need to be upgraded and are super cheap, so they can probably have 305 as min ilvl? This'd make you be able to enter without needing to clear Lakshmi, and I'm thinking the normal gear would be 320 to coincide with the Lakshmi/Susano drops. (And Ravana weapons were 190 which is what Gordias normal dropped.)

And if it has accessories that allows for some more temporary BiS shenanigans until Savage drops since they'd have different stats than the Lakshmi ones despite being the same item level.

Guess Who

Banned
i'm still 300 because that's all i need to do the EX primals and i am a dps that doesn't feel like suffering long queues or potd/pvp spam for verity (and i still need to spam susanoo ex more to get my damn bow)

Vic_Viper

What does the Heavensward Skip Item come with? Aside from finishing the MSQ does it unlock the dungeons, Trails, and Aether Currents? Do you get the Flying Dragon Mount?

Luminaire

Going by Gordias, Gordias was 170 required to enter which is 25 above what you needed to finish HW, but SB launch gear numbers are kinda weird compared to HW considering the uncapped tomestones don't need to be upgraded and are super cheap, so they can probably have 305 as min ilvl? This'd make you be able to enter without needing to clear Lakshmi, and I'm thinking the normal gear would be 320 to coincide with the Lakshmi/Susano drops. (And Ravana weapons were 190 which is what Gordias normal dropped.)

And if it has accessories that allows for some more temporary BiS shenanigans until Savage drops since they'd have different stats than the Lakshmi ones despite being the same item level.

305 sounds about right. Midway between dungeon gear and tome gear.

Alex

I don't like that you are automatically put into random faction when joining as a group in Frontline, even if the Freelancer option isn't checked.

For us it just means you get put into the trashcan of Eorzea: Gridania.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
How do you think the story of Stormblood compares to Heavensward?

It's much better contained than 3.0. HW didn't really end until 3.3.

4.0 tells a complete tale. There are hooks for the future updates, but it doesn't feel like cliffhangers, so much as teases.

Counting up to 3.3, I would say HW has a better story, but SB has more entertaining companions along the way. For one, you rarely travel with Alphinaud, which is always a plus.

Luminaire

It's much better contained than 3.0. HW didn't really end until 3.3.

4.0 tells a complete tale. There are hooks for the future updates, but it doesn't feel like cliffhangers, so much as teases.

Counting up to 3.3, I would say HW has a better story, but SB has more entertaining companions along the way. For one, you rarely travel with Alphinaud, which is always a plus.

We need a grizzled and gritty Alphinaud.

Haly

Punished Alphinaud in 5.0

Alphinaud gets lost in the "Bend of Time" and ages 10 years. Comes back with a goatee, an eyepatch, and a story of apocalypse in the future that he's returned from to prevent.

Luminaire

Punished Alphinaud in 5.0

Alphinaud gets lost in the "Bend of Time" and ages 10 years. Comes back with a goatee, an eyepatch, and a story of apocalypse in the future that he's returned from to prevent.

And a single horn. And the first thing he says to Alisae? "...Good to see you alive."

yo im submitting my resume to SE tomorrow for head writer i got this

Alex

Visiting the Official forums and reading the SCH post there give me a damn headache

Reading anything on the official forum or reddit gives me a headache. Of all of the game reddits I follow I think XIV's might be the most obnoxious. It's either it or Overwatch.

Top Bottom