• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Why can't I set newly acquired actions to my hotbar on ps4? I'm level 15 and the unlock is level 15, but it's "greyed" out for me to assign. It's the throwing dagger and mug actions for rogue

laoni

Ok so now Malboro has the red "1" sign as well, and when I hover over it says I can't create any more characters on the server. :(

I'm getting worried. Am I fucked? My gf is already on Ultros.

So it sounds like you have the Entry level sub, which means you can only have 1 character per server. So if you've got a 1,then you've got a character on that server and can't make another

My entire group just DC'd in the middle of Wanderers' Palace HM :/

Edit: Healer's stuck in queue. Just gonna Manderville Dance for the next 67 minutes :(

Edit Edit: Aaaaaand 90k'd. Son of a bitch.

Animekatt

Ninja weapon and mount in one run luck is with me lol and then they all started arguing the next run so I only had to do one run and then they disbanded so win for me.

Congrats! I've gotten 10 wins so far, and I've only seen the mount once (on the 9th win). Of course I rolled a 2 lol. I'm trying to fight the urge to spend the totems on my AST weapon...

Zomba13

Fuck. Knew I should've stayed on but I abandoned a frontlines for the first Ixion so I had the leavers penalty on my DF so I decided to just quit

Rua

Got this today

iqAhvvi.jpg

I think this is the biggest mount I have and I kinda don't like it because it blocks your view more than other smaller mounts. Might just be the huge head/horn in front though.
Mainly a problem for me in ARR areas when I'm looking for hunts.

Wow... got booted from a duty due to server congestion, I'm on Midgarsormr. Second time tonight after waiting 30 mins for a 50/60 queue.

World full, 199 in queue lol.

duckroll

I'll say Keeper of the Lake is when everything starts coming together. But honestly, in terms of story stuff getting "real", that kicked in at the end of Garuda in ARR.

iammeiam

Regarding Balance Adjustments in 4.01 and 4.05

You'll have to wait for the translation though.

Something about enmity buffs, WOE UNTO POOR HEALERS CONFRONTED WITH i270 (pls, give us bosses that hit hard enough for that to matter), threat(? i think?) changes in 4.01, actual balance changes coming in 4.05, a bunch of crap about personal damage vs party utility damage.

I see nothing about "guys we fucked up and accidentally released a joke MCH build we made for April Fool's day we'll fix it", so I guess hold out hope for the live letter on the 15th?

The best part is that it sure seems like they didn't see 270 slaying coming. H O W

scy

Please wait for adjustments until right before Savage releases.

Please understand.

The best part is that it sure seems like they didn't see 270 slaying coming. H O W

I could've sworn they even mentioned it wouldn't apply to old accessories? Like, I'm pretty sure that was a thing and why basically all of our reactions going into the expansion was "oh hey using these accessories forever" even before we saw it in-game first-hand.

duckroll

Regarding Balance Adjustments in 4.01 and 4.05

You'll have to wait for the translation though.

Skimmed through it. Don't expect much in 4.01 other than enmity buffs for tanks due to complaints that the new balance made it harder to pull when doing leveling dungeons on lower levels.

For 4.05 they will focus on more job balances but they don't really have much to announce until the Live Letter on the 15th. But there's a lot of consideration being made with regards to DPS roles and how they have been reworked, as well as player feedback on tanks using str accessories now.

Squishy3

nvm, didn't see people talked about it.

please for teh love of god do something about dragon eyes though. it's garbage that summoners can keep aethertrail attunements indefinitely and they take less time to build

CrazyHal

Is anybody else getting "The lobby server connection has encountered an error 2002" when trying to log in?

EDIT: Oh theres an ongoing DDOS attack on the NA servers. Welp.

iammeiam

I could've sworn they even mentioned it wouldn't apply to old accessories? Like, I'm pretty sure that was a thing and why basically all of our reactions going into the expansion was "oh hey using these accessories forever" even before we saw it in-game first-hand.

Trying to reread and make sense of it, it almost seems like he's saying part of the impetus for 270 was the dungeon threat struggle.

Which is... kind of true? I guess? But it's not like enmity multipliers are going to move the needle on Slaying usage.

So guys I am new to the game. Level 26 just finished the first 3 dungeons. I play a Gladiator at the moment. Any really important tips? I see all kinds of stuff I don't really get, like leves and retainers and shit. I am only doing the main story and class quests but I am like 8 levels ahead from xp boosts.

Squishy3

HP bloat? It's not like you'd have more than there is now.
Broken google translate seems to be implying tying damage scaling to VIT that currently the parameters for HP and damage on VIT are tied together (can't increase one without increasing the other) tying it to VIT alone the amount they'd need to change the value to keep them competitive with damage would bloat the HP values.

The answer would be to separate into two paramaters for VIT (one for HP, the other for damage) obviously but who knows what's preventing them from doing that.

Luminaire

So guys I am new to the game. Level 26 just finished the first 3 dungeons. I play a Gladiator at the moment. Any really important tips? I see all kinds of stuff I don't really get, like leves and retainers and shit. I am only doing the main story and class quests but I am like 8 levels ahead from xp boosts.

Leves are basically repeatable missions you can do for XP. some are great (costa del sol) for getting over the level hump in some parts, but if you're that far ahead, don't worry about it.

Retainers are extra inventory basically. You can level them up and send them out on missions to gather things, steal peoples roofs, or disappoint you with random fish. You can only level them up to what your max level is on a class, so if you have a level 13 archer, your archer retainer (you can assign them classes) can only go up to 13, I believe. They can also sell stuff on the markets for you so people don't really know who is selling what exactly.

As for general advice, I trust you already know about enmity and keeping aggro/hate. Know your combos and your potencies and re-read all of your tooltips to make sure you get a good idea of what your moves do.

Otherwise, if you see a hunt - pull it early and blame GAF.

don't do this

Leves are basically repeatable missions you can do for XP. some are great (costa del sol) for getting over the level hump in some parts, but if you're that far ahead, don't worry about it.

Retainers are extra inventory basically. You can level them up and send them out on missions to gather things, steal peoples roofs, or disappoint you with random fish. You can only level them up to what your max level is on a class, so if you have a level 13 archer, your archer retainer (you can assign them classes) can only go up to 13, I believe. They can also sell stuff on the markets for you so people don't really know who is selling what exactly.

As for general advice, I trust you already know about enmity and keeping aggro/hate. Know your combos and your potencies and re-read all of your tooltips to make sure you get a good idea of what your moves do.

Otherwise, if you see a hunt - pull it early and blame GAF.

don't do this

Yeah, I'm new to FFXIV but I raid tanked for 10 years in WoW and many years in other MMOs. I know how to do that. I'm mostly just a little daunted by all this seemingly inane shit the game throws at me like the Golden Saucer.

Luminaire

Yeah, I'm new to FFXIV but I raid tanked for 10 years in WoW and many years in other MMOs. I know how to do that. I'm mostly just a little daunted by all this seemingly inane shit the game throws at me like the Golden Saucer.

You've got a massive leg up on most tanks in this game then! All the other stuff is fluff, set it aside and fiddle around with it later. You'll naturally kinda flow through one thing after another. Gold Saucer is pretty fun though.

Sibylus

Banned
I'll say Keeper of the Lake is when everything starts coming together. But honestly, in terms of story stuff getting "real", that kicked in at the end of Garuda in ARR.

Me before Garuda: Nice and gentle ramp-up, story starting to go places.

During: Oh geez she did what?

After: Oh gawd oh gawd oh gawd they did what?!

You've got a massive leg up on most tanks in this game then! All the other stuff is fluff, set it aside and fiddle around with it later. You'll naturally kinda flow through one thing after another. Gold Saucer is pretty fun though.

yeah I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I'm interested in that stuff but generally I get laser-focused on XP gains 'til level cap.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
How do you think the story of Stormblood compares to Heavensward?
Now that I've had some time to digest both, I think Stormblood is a better paced, but is less personal and has a less complex story. Heavensward was a more ambitious and more interesting story, but had worse pacing. Overall I'd say Stormblood was more enjoyable to play.

Heavensward was more engaging with both story and villains, but Stormblood felt better to play and feels generally more concise. Character writing gives a slight edge to Heavensward, partly because the villains had better motivations.

A few specific points:
- Hauchefaunt and Aymeric were both really likeable and the friendship felt personal. In HW, the WoL was
seriously in trouble and Hauchefaunt was the one who took you in
. That gave you a very personal stake in things, while Stormblood makes no bones about how the WoL doesn't really have a stake in its story. You're actually given the option to tell Alphinaud that it's not really your fight near the start of the MSQ (though I doubt it does anything). So I was generally more invested in the HW plot than SB's.
- Having said that, I thought the story development was great in both. Despite being less personal, SB's plot still nailed what it was going for.
Multiple depictions of broken and oppressed people felt believable, and made you understand where they were coming from. The frustration felt on all sides was very real.
- SB's writing was paced better. The writing always felt very tight in that it usually aimed for a certain effect, and got straight to the point in creating that effect. That's much harder to do than it looks, and the writing stays consistently at that level for pretty much the entire MSQ.
- The party characters were about even in terms of how likeable they were. I really liked Gosetsu, and how the writing went out of its way to differentiate Alisae's personality from Alphinaud's, and Lyse's from Yda's. Side characters like Conrad were good, too. They kind of had more personality than HW Alphinaud and Estinien (though I thought Ysayle was good).
- Both stories had their somewhat bland characters. Aymeric was fairly bland, but still more interesting than Hien. Yugiri disappointingly got very little development in SB.
- The villains in Heavensward were MUCH more interesting than the ones in SB. SB had comic book villains who did bullshit in the first 5 minutes of showing up just to show they're bad, then
continued to be assholes throughout the game to show that they're REALLY bad. They get a little bit of development, but they're like 98% caricatures from beginning to end (30 seconds of backstory does not make me sympathetic to why Yotsuyu is the way she is)
. Heavensward had a mess of a conflict where there were a lot of people who had differing motivations, and was much more engaging as a result.
- Stormblood's MSQ was more fun to play through. The Xaela area in particular did a good job of showing differing personalities and cultures very quickly, and had fun side questlines with interesting small stories (I liked the cook in the super warrior-oriented camp, and the guy who was struggling to live up to his blademaster ancestor). In contrast, Heavensward had fucking moogle hell, so the devs obviously learned from that.
- Both stories had their bullshit copouts. Stormblood had "
We're having trouble freeing this oppressed people from a hopelessly strong opponent. Our solution is... to cross the entire world and start ANOTHER war on the opposite side of the world, to free this OTHER oppressed people from the same hopelessly strong opponent!
" That makes no sense. Heavensward had the
bullshit handwave solution to the whole Lororito thing that made you flee Eorzea at the end of ARR in the first place. That was a massive copout and I'm still disappointed at how quickly that was smoothed over with everything forgiven

B.K.

Got Susano down to 12% once and wiped to enrage. We never got that close again. It doesn't help that I keep getting myself killed. I always run the wrong way during the puddles in the last phase. I think I'm going to have to have GAF carry me. Surely someone will carry a worthless tank.

I took a break of farming Susano for two days so I thought i'd try some before maint. Lol, only got 3 kills and the rest were wipes. People putting the lightning on safe spot are so damn silly. People running the other way because of an aoe also dont help with the lightning marker.

Sami+

Man the dialogue in the beginning of ARR is reeeeaaaaally wordy lol. Kind of daunting.

Trying to burn through my first 15 levels so I can group up with my gf sooner. She isn't gonna start for a few days so hopefully that way we can avoid playing separately haha. My name is Ali Ma'amu, I'd love to add some of y'all!

Top Bottom