• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Murkas

What's Square support like?

I purchased Stormblood on PS4 but PSN says the code has already been redeemed.

On their site it seems to be a common problem with it's own page which I filed a ticket through (the same page also says the problem has been 'resolved'). Has anyone had experience with this?

studyguy

What's Square support like?

I purchased Stormblood on PS4 but PSN says the code has already been redeemed.

On their site it seems to be a common problem with it's own page which I filed a ticket through (the same page also says the problem has been 'resolved'). Has anyone had experience with this?

Incredibly awful.

iammeiam

The only thing you need to point to in terms of design philosophy is that of whatever formula they use to build content around in scaling. It's the same for WoW, it's the same for most any themepark MMO. No need for thought in equipment. No need for non-standardized roles. Eventually we'll get to hybrid-ish jobs I guess (or as close to hybridish as we can), but as it stands it feels like everything they build ARR upon is way too rigid to offer the kind of flexibility they discussed early on with job branches, hybrid roles, etc.

The WoW comparison is largely interesting because for all its streamlining, WoW still allows you to level a single job that can be spec'd into multiple different roles with different gearing requirements. There's a lot of streamlining you can blame on the Final Warcraft XIV effect, but the no choice everything is one thing and only one thing approach XIV has moved to is definitely not a WoW lift.

Berordn

I think it would be interesting if card effects were modified by stance. Right now, nocturnal and diurnal stance don't factor into enough abilities I think, and that might be a really interesting way to make them more interesting.

That's something I hadn't even considered. Right now their only purpose seems to be deciding if you're dressing up as WHM or SCH, so giving the stances some other functionality would be great.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What are some quality of life improvements to the game that you would like to see but will probably never happen?

Things to make it easier with Alts:
Shared account mount menu
Shared account minion menu
I REALLY doubt this would happen, but shared Aether Current accrual.

wormania

upmU6dM.png

(world's longest yeah boy)

Aeana

What are some quality of life improvements to the game that you would like to see but will probably never happen?

Can I please just have a glamour database that records the fact that I ever owned a piece of equipment so I can use that as a glamour but remove the item from my inventory

please

"um it's too hard... memory constraints... servers would explode"

Trojita

Can I please just have a glamour database that records the fact that I ever owned a piece of equipment so I can use that as a glamour but remove the item from my inventory

please

WoW has that I think. Makes clearing inventories so nice. But it would probably impede their retainer "service".

studyguy

The WoW comparison is largely interesting because for all its streamlining, WoW still allows you to level a single job that can be spec'd into multiple different roles with different gearing requirements. There's a lot of streamlining you can blame on the Final Warcraft XIV effect, but the no choice everything is one thing and only one thing approach XIV has moved to is definitely not a WoW lift.

It's definitely not, but it feels like it's the closest approx. the team could manage. I'd have to imagine they were largely stifled by the existing framework of skills and mechanics they had already and were forced to get to work around. ARR was rebuilt from the ground up, sure... but I mean it's not like it lost everything from 1.23. A ton still exists to this day that seems silly and unnecessary. The attribute points for instance are only recently killed off. The classes are slowly moving closer and closer to being abolished wholesale.

ARR felt like a reductionist version of WoW's system and I definitely give them credit for making specs that can do way more than we can, but I dunno, it's hard to imagine YoshiP and his team doing that given their conservative history once 2.0 got nailed down.

Squishy3

Isn't that going to be Rhalgr's Reach?
There's probably going to be stuff added there too, but I wouldn't be surprised if The Lochs is something that gets renovated as time goes on too. I don't know what they can add to Rhalgr's Reach except more NPCs. I don't think it makes much sense for it to become a proper town.

Aeana

WoW has that I think. Makes clearing inventories so nice. But it would probably impede their retainer "service".

A lot of MMOs have it. FF14 dudes just continually say things like this would be "too hard" or "use too much memory."

I mean, it took us this long just to get a minor inventory size increase.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Craft/turn in with items from retainer inventories.

But something something servers something something PS4 limitations something something.

iammeiam

Retainer inventories not expanding with Stormblood is some pretty epic bullshit; the nature of how retainers work means they're exempt from the bulk of the traffic concerns they cited for the inventory expansion being the size it was.

ARR felt like a reductionist version of WoW's system and I definitely give them credit for making specs that can do way more than we can, but I dunno, it's hard to imagine YoshiP and his team doing that given their conservative history once 2.0 got nailed down.

I think the only thing that really throws me is Arcanist/SCH/SMN. They did that, on purpose, specifically for ARR. That's maybe the biggest swerve--the class branching into jobs thing was a thing they added for 2.0; it had no other reason to exist!

It kind of reads like it was their attempt to emulate WoW, but they later decided 2 hard and gave up. Which would be interesting to hear about, I guess.

PikkonX

I've been playing Stormblood since early release. Turned on my Pro today and suddenly I have to download 22GB. Anyone else have this issue today?

Haly

In my ideal world AST would have a cyclic mechanic where you shift between Nocturnal and Diurnal as well as the function of your heals.

Trojita

We might just get a Switch version just so Squenix can blame anything they don't want to do on it.

kromeo

I've been playing Stormblood since early release. Turned on my Pro today and suddenly I have to download 22GB. Anyone else have this issue today?

It's an issue when your ps4 loses power with the game running. Don't think there's any fix atm, they just said they're aware of the problem

studyguy

Yeah SCH/SMN is absolutely the biggest wtf build out of the game. They clearly have to have extraordinarily rigid stat calculations in the back if they made the first branching job and went "holy fuck we can't actually do this shit" and backed off hard.

I still remember yoshiP teasing DRK would maybe branch off of GLD or similar things in the future but I mean life comes at you fast I guess. Just gonna have to deal with the framework they have. It is what it is now. I don't get up in arms about it, but things definitely chafe when the team does strange moves like the VIT/STR rebalance for no reason and the strange skill like get WHM that feel tacked on.

Berordn

In my ideal world AST would have a cyclic mechanic where you shift between Nocturnal and Diurnal as well as the function of your heals.

Using the cards in some way to cycle between the two would also be cool and still fit thematically.

I still love the job (and I'll probably love it more when I get Sleeve Draw finally), but it really does feel like it's shackled to the expectations of the role more than the other two healers.

LordKasual

Banned
Wouldn't really need tanks if DPS could survive direct hits. Like if the bosses only had telegraphed attacks then DPS could just dodge those and survive without a tank. Could just be a situation where tanks have way more DEF/HP so they could be DPS that can take more hits. In character action games, a glass cannon build just means high damage out, high damage in, high risk build, but it's still doable.

But I get that if you did something like that in an MMO, no one would want the low risk, safer but lower damage DPS tank classes in their party because everyone just wants to max damage so it'd be nothing but glass cannons DPSs and healers.

This would be an interesting version of FFXIV lol
  • All tanks are now essentially treated as DPS classes with heavy CC / mitigation geared towards keeping the party alive.
  • All tanks have that massive enmity secondary removed from finishers, DPS increased across the board
  • PLD = vanguard tank, great 1v1 damage & and teammate damage mitigation. Cover = GCD tether skill, Sheltron = AoE Cover, Passage of Arms = Super AoE Cover
  • WAR = incoming-mitigation tank, they could mitigate damage by having their attacks apply stacking damage-reducing debuffs. Builds alot of enmity during Berserk
  • DRK would be a combination of both, with burst potential handled by Dark Arts.

Shield stances = massively increase the damage of certain cooldown attacks while giving them enmity modifiers, while also giving the typical enmity finishers a movement debuff that stop them from moving/slows them.
Attack stances = Remove those secondary effects, increase potency across the board, and turn the tanks into DPS classes

Bosses = Tank/ OT would primarily mitigate for the Melee DPS while peeling hate off the ranged/ healers whenever they can't hold it anymore.
Add / Dungeons = everyone would maneuver within range of the tanks so they can effectively gather enmity and keep everyone safe.

Bam i just broke the game :D

Haly

Using the cards in some way to cycle between the two would also be cool and still fit thematically.
If The Spear advanced your gauge somehow and it was important for you to hit certain points on the gauge it'd be actually worthwhile.

Isaccard

A lot of MMOs have it. FF14 dudes just continually say things like this would be "too hard" or "use too much memory."

Yeah I don't get their reasoning behind this at all

Shakala

please

This is all I want

Squishy3

Yeah I don't get their reasoning behind this at all
Edit: NVM, it took WoW until Legion to implement their Wardrobe system. Legion didn't come out until last year... so, yeah. It'd probably be something they have to include in their design for the next expansion and I'd imagine with the demand for it they'll be looking into how feasible it actually is for them to do.

WoW added the Collections tab in Mists and slowly started expanding it, so it didn't happen all at once, either. It started out with account-wide Mounts and Pets and achievements, added the Toybox and Heirlooms tabs in WoD, and finally adding the Wardrobe system in Legion.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
One of the biggest baffling parts about DRK is that their mitigation doesn't really come from their resource. You would THINK that it would be about building MP and using MP for mitigation (or blood now) but... it just isn't. Even with TBN the bottom line is "Well does it let me get more bloodspillers?" because it's not the key part of the design but rather one ability.

Levito

Banned

As other's have mentioned, loads of MMOs have it. I don't get their excuse that it takes up too much memory cause right now people just hoard armor on retainers.

Haly

Can we at least make the armoire not useless.

Trojita

This would be an interesting version of FFXIV lol
  • All tanks are now essentially treated as DPS classes with heavy CC / mitigation geared towards keeping the party alive.
  • All tanks have that massive enmity secondary removed from finishers, DPS increased across the board
  • PLD = vanguard tank, great 1v1 damage & and teammate damage mitigation. Cover = GCD tether skill, Sheltron = AoE Cover, Passage of Arms = Super AoE Cover
  • WAR = incoming-mitigation tank, they could mitigate damage by having their attacks apply stacking damage-reducing debuffs. Builds alot of enmity during Berserk
  • DRK would be a combination of both, with burst potential handled by Dark Arts.

Shield stances = massively increase the damage of certain cooldown attacks while giving them enmity modifiers, while also giving the typical enmity finishers a movement debuff that stop them from moving/slows them.
Attack stances = Remove those secondary effects, increase potency across the board, and turn the tanks into DPS classes

Bosses = Tank/ OT would primarily mitigate for the Melee DPS while peeling hate off the ranged/ healers whenever they can't hold it anymore.
Add / Dungeons = everyone would maneuver within range of the tanks so they can effectively gather enmity and keep everyone safe.

Bam i just broke the game :D

Did you just write out a FFXIV's tank's wet dream in text form?

studyguy

One of the biggest baffling parts about DRK is that their mitigation doesn't really come from their resource. You would THINK that it would be about building MP and using MP for mitigation (or blood now) but... it just isn't. Even with TBN the bottom line is "Well does it let me get more bloodspillers?" because it's not the key part of the design but rather one ability.

TBN feels like it exists to do more burst damage. It's fucking weird.
At least Holy Spirit exists to push mitigation abilities with PLD. DRK is so funky atm.

Can we at least make the armoire not useless.

lmao this fucking guy. We need at least the PS7 for that.

Noob question. Trying a thaumaturge and wondered what's the correct thing to do when a mob attacks from behind and the main target+tank is further away? Am I supposed to lure them closer to the tank or try to pick them off?

Chemist

Neo Member

If I recall they stated it was because of the way 1.0 inventory was coded and what appears on your character is loaded server side every single time you zone and the way it was written it can't be undone without breaking the whole game. So if they had to store every piece of gear for every class every time you zoned, the integer of that alone would crash the server.

I think it was in the /noclip documentary that just went up. Fantastic watch, I recommend everyone to watch it.

Berordn

Noob question. Trying a thaumaturge and wondered what's the correct thing to do when a mob attacks from behind and the main target+tank is further away? Am I supposed to lure them closer to the tank or try to pick them off?

It'll actually depend on the fight. If it's dungeon trash and you can't kill it quickly, let the tank pick it up first. If it's adds in a fight, it's going to depends on the mechanics. Typically you won't kill it on your own, but there's exceptions.

iammeiam

I still remember yoshiP teasing DRK would maybe branch off of GLD or similar things in the future but I mean life comes at you fast I guess. Just gonna have to deal with the framework they have. It is what it is now. I don't get up in arms about it, but things definitely chafe when the team does strange moves like the VIT/STR rebalance for no reason and the strange skill like get WHM that feel tacked on.

Yeah, for the most part it's not so much personal upset as actual deep curiosity about the whole thing. There are just these moments of like "OK, no really, what did you think was going to happen?" that would be fascinating to hear about. I'd really like a deep dive on their job balance work for the expansion, because I know they had to do something, but there are just so many questions (I've read the high level "we start on a dummy", but I'm curious if they actually expect their dev team to be maximizing damage, etc).

Edit: NVM, it took WoW until Legion to implement their Wardrobe system. Legion didn't come out until last year... so, yeah. It'd probably be something they have to include in their design for the next expansion and I'd imagine with the demand for it they'll be looking into how feasible it actually is for them to do.

WoW also had a lot of time and energy put into a back-end that let them do a lot of things account-wide instead of character based. XIV skates pretty heavily on "you can do everything on one character so you don't even need two!"

If I recall they stated it was because of the way 1.0 inventory was coded and what appears on your character is loaded server side every single time you zone and the way it was written it can't be undone without breaking the whole game. So if they had to store every piece of gear for every class every time you zoned, the integer of that alone would crash the server.

I think it was in the /noclip documentary that just went up. Fantastic watch, I recommend everyone to watch it.

This is only valid if the glamour book exists as an attribute of the character they have to copy everywhere; having it function like a retainer's inventory, where the list is retrieved via a specific NPC or menu that is loaded in specifically on-demand but doesn't follow you around. We have a super rudimentary version of this in the armoire already; its possible to store items without bogging down the character data.

Levito

Banned
I honestly don't think I've heard an MMORPG dev cite storage space as a reason for not expanding certain aspects of the game(housing, wardrobe) like the XIV team has.

It's genuine I'm sure but I wonder why they struggle with it so much.

Squishy3

As other's have mentioned, loads of MMOs have it. I don't get their excuse that it takes up too much memory cause right now people just hoard armor on retainers.
I said it above but it took WoW 4 years after GW2 to add something similar in function, you have to keep in mind building for something from the ground up and including it in the basic design makes it easier to implement than bolting it onto an existing product.

I don't think the Wardrobe system will magically appear all of a sudden in a content patch (it'd be awesome if it did) but it'll probably make its appearance in an expansion if they ever decide to add it, and I wouldn't be surprised with the demand if it's on the list of QoL improvements being considered for the next expansion. The one quote from the UI lead in the noclip documentary stuck out to me "We still have things on our list from when we were making 2.0 we're trying to implement today."

WoW also had a lot of time and energy put into a back-end that let them do a lot of things account-wide instead of character based. XIV skates pretty heavily on "you can do everything on one character so you don't even need two!"
And yeah, can't forget this. Blizzard threw a lot of money at updating and upgrading their server infrastructure and are a much larger company than Square-Enix, and can afford to throw people onto back-end projects that won't see the light of day for years.

Chemist

Neo Member
I honestly don't think I've heard an MMORPG dev cite storage space as a reason for not expanding certain aspects of the game(housing, wardrobe) like the XIV team has.

For sure and the noclip docu shows just how absolutely horribly coded the game was/is. To have the game in its current state is nothing short of a miracle.

Most MMO devs don't build their game on top of the charred remains of a completely different game.

1.0 was stupid

It'll actually depend on the fight. If it's dungeon trash and you can't kill it quickly, let the tank pick it up first. If it's adds in a fight, it's going to depends on the mechanics. Typically you won't kill it on your own, but there's exceptions.

It's usually just a small group that appears to the side. I can't kill them that quickly and it seemed counter productive to just be fighting them alone

Berordn

Most MMO devs don't build their game on top of the charred remains of a completely different game.

1.0 was stupid

To be fair, given how much has been added to and culled from WoW over its long life they probably faced similar issues as XIV does today.

Nothing as terrible as having 1.0 as a base I'm sure, but to this day WoW still hasn't been able to expand the player's basic backpack size.

Guess Who

Banned
How much of the server backend is actually built off of 1.0's, I wonder? The client was obviously nuked from orbit and 2.0 was built entirely from scratch, but that doesn't mean the server-side was, I suppose.

Top Bottom