• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Let's be real Square can't even put up a modernized web store, a modernized MMO backend is probably beyond their ken.

k1t4j

That Pool of Tribute fight, in story mode. What awesome fucking shit was that. The music is hype, the mechanics are dope and as a DPS I must have done something right because I got 4 commendations :D

studyguy

Let's be real Square can't even put up a modernized web store, a modernized MMO backend is probably beyond their ken.

Definitely. They've done a marvelous job, but everything that breaks I assume can be attributed to janky backend support since apparently like a decade of XI going into XIV seemed to prove they just say 'fuck it lets do it live' going in every time.

erawsd

How much of the server backend is actually built off of 1.0's, I wonder? The client was obviously nuked from orbit and 2.0 was built entirely from scratch, but that doesn't mean the server-side was, I suppose.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of it is, especially considering how quickly they had to throw this game together. I've been dipping in and out of a lot of MMO recently and the infrastructure/server tech behind this game definitely feels way behind and limiting in comparison.

LordKasual

Banned
I honestly don't think I've heard an MMORPG dev cite storage space as a reason for not expanding certain aspects of the game(housing, wardrobe) like the XIV team has.

Me either

but to be fair, I don't think i've played an MMO that provides as much generous non-bank space as XIV.

Then again, this is a subscription MMO, so i guess it's expected.

MogCakes

If they really want to shake up the trinity, give every class defensive utility, healing utility, and DPS utlity, but have bosses be reactive to party makeup/tactics and counter-attack accordingly, which will force players to adapt a defensive/recovery/support position to keep their party members alive. It can be done, and would certainly be more exciting and fun to play each job, but the content would be much more difficult and almost impossible to optimize for.

Aeana

Me either

but to be fair, I don't think i've played an MMO that provides as much generous non-bank space as XIV.

Then again, this is a subscription MMO, so i guess it's expected.
? FF14's non-bank space is paltry.
You must be counting retainers as non-bank space, but bank space is exactly what they are.

Beat the final boss of Stormblood.
Final thoughts:
Lyse literally did nothing, she is being praised for what now? Not dying??
Zenos was cool, don't even care.
Shinryu felt like a real final boss and I loved it. Also not a cake walk, I'm looking forward to extreme.
Y'Shtola lives, hilariously. I'm almost entirely sure she'll just keep on getting near death murder blows forever and die naturally (well she's dying slowly). I would've been pissed if she did die, that would've been lame.
Hancock secretly best new character.
Xaela arc was great. Wish there was more of that.
Estinien comes in, just wrecks shit, then fucks off. Actually too powerful. I assume he'll be important now, as he has unique hair and that normally means main character.
As cool as Shinryu is, weird it is the final boss. Like it makes little sense? I guess it does in the sense of Illberd created it, and it's a monster formed off the back of dead Ala Mhigians.
Yotsuyu was cool, rip
Gotestu was made to die, but that's cool, he actually did a cool thing.
Man, wish being a monk actually mattered. I wish monk mattered. Why doesn't monk matter? The Stormblood monk questline isn't even good, like at all. Just a fake Griffin and oh no Widargelt is royal family. It doesn't matter ffs. Should've made Widargelt some general in the main story and let him have his Ala Mhigo freedom boner like he had in 2.0.
Shinryu is probably my favouirte boss in the game so far. Actually feels like a final boss.
Again: Lyse what the fuck you did nothing. Give me that red dress, I liberated Ala Mhigo.
Lord Hein is cool, HE ACTUALLY LIBERATED HIS HOMELAND.
Dark knight story got good again, thank fucking god.

Well that turned into a bunch of musings of my general thoughts of Stormblood.

Lesath

So I'm interested in leveling a tank job next, and so far in PotDs (no job crystal yet) the gladiator and marauder seem pretty locked down by the 2.5s GCD, which is a bit slow-paced for me.

Question is: does it get better for any of them? For damage, monk seems okay once greased lightning kicks in and Dragoons have a plethora of fun movement abilities and oGCDs to weave in between the slow strikes.

studyguy

You guys wanna shake things up, XIV probably isn't the place to do it. So far their single greatest contribution to me is getting controller MMO support like right on the money.

Also I fucking hate Yotsuyu with a passion, but I suppose that's what we were supposed to do. So hats off to the team. I swear to god I'm gonna hate it when they have some kind of redemption arc for her.

Guess Who

Banned
Beat the final boss of Stormblood.
Final thoughts:
Lyse literally did nothing, she is being praised for what now? Not dying??
Zenos was cool, don't even care.
Shinryu felt like a real final boss and I loved it. Also not a cake walk, I'm looking forward to extreme.
Y'Shtola lives, hilariously. I'm almost entirely sure she'll just keep on getting near death murder blows forever and die naturally (well she's dying slowly). I would've been pissed if she did die, that would've been lame.
Hancock secretly best new character.
Xaela arc was great. Wish there was more of that.
Estinien comes in, just wrecks shit, then fucks off. Actually too powerful. I assume he'll be important now, as he has unique hair and that normally means main character.
As cool as Shinryu is, weird it is the final boss. Like it makes little sense? I guess it does in the sense of Illberd created it, and it's a monster formed off the back of dead Ala Mhigians.
Yotsuyu was cool, rip
Gotestu was made to die, but that's cool, he actually did a cool thing.
Man, wish being a monk actually mattered. I wish monk mattered. Why doesn't monk matter? The Stormblood monk questline isn't even good, like at all. Just a fake Griffin and oh no Widargelt is royal family. It doesn't matter ffs. Should've made Widargelt some general in the main story and let him have his Ala Mhigo freedom boner like he had in 2.0.
Shinryu is probably my favouirte boss in the game so far. Actually feels like a final boss.
Again: Lyse what the fuck you did nothing. Give me that red dress, I liberated Ala Mhigo.
Lord Hein is cool, HE ACTUALLY LIBERATED HIS HOMELAND.
Dark knight story got good again, thank fucking god.

Well that turned into a bunch of musings of my general thoughts of Stormblood.

Did you watch the post credits scenes? Because two of those, well...

How much of the server backend is actually built off of 1.0's, I wonder? The client was obviously nuked from orbit and 2.0 was built entirely from scratch, but that doesn't mean the server-side was, I suppose.
Considering how AoEs used to work - fuck you Titan - I'm gonna say "too much"

Did you watch the post credits scenes? Because two of those, well...

THE CREDITS ARE LONG CURRENTLY I AM WAITING.

Okay so:
GOSESTU A BUILDING FELL ON YOU, AN ENTIRE BUILDING. AND THE BITCH LIVES. BUILDING. A BUILDING. Guess it's time for Yotsuyu's redemption arc. GUESS WE'RE GONNA GO BACK TO DOMA IN THE PATCHES.
Oh and I forgot about Nidhogg's eyes, I'm glad they're finally gone.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Waiting for the moment I am meant to start hating Lyse.

I only just reached Yanxia, so possibly still to come, but so far nothing I've witnessed involving her has measured up to the sheer level of vitriol towards her in this thread. I guess I'll see...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

I only just reached Yanxia, so possibly still to come, but so far nothing I've witnessed involving her has measured up to the sheer level of vitriol towards her in this thread. I guess I'll see...

Exactly, it's almost like she shouldn't have been there at all.

Shahed

Do you have an example? I'm trying to become more optimal since the newer dungeons/trials seem to actually hit pretty hard.
It really does depend on the fight. Take Susano Extreme for example. Each tank buster is roughly a minute apart with a tank swap on each occasion, so in effect you're taking a buster every 2 mins. Vengeance and Thrill of Battle happen to be on a 2min cooldown, so you can use both for each Stormsplitter and easily survive even in Deliverance. That allows you to fit the likes of Rampart, Convalescence and Raw Intuition (be careful not to use it when running side to side) in the gap in between tank busters for extra passive mitigation. If you want to play extra safe, you could just use Inner Beast whenever possible and stack it with Vengeance for the buster, but that's kind of overkill. You could use Anticipation as well and I do like it, but you're better off taking Reprisal in 8 man. If both you and your tank buddy take Reprisal, one of you can use it to take 10% damage off every Stormsplitter tank buster, and the other every Uheki AoE.

For dungeons though I would take Anticipation and Awareness instead of Reprisal and Shirk since the latter two aren't all that useful there. Anticipation is on a real short 60 second cooldown so you csn use it on every pack of monsters at least once, sometimes even twice. It's not good for big hits since it's not a guaranteed parry, but it's good passive mitigation for a lot of general smaller hits. Awareness is needed this time since unlike Trials, enemies will surround you and you'll take Critical damage when using Raw Intuition.

As for rotation? It depends to a degree on how fast your group is killing each pack of enemies, how many packs you are going to pull in order to work out how many overall encounters you'll have before the next boss? Because you don't really need defensive CD's on bosses most of the time. Trash packs are the most important part of dungeons and where the biggest difference is made, and you can always Inner Beast on demand if need be on a boss until the defensive stuff becomes available again. The less enemies before the next boss, the more aggressive you can get by stacking cooldowns since they'll be back by the time you need them anyway

But in general I look at it like this. Have a strong cooldown at the beginning. A Vengeance, Rampart or Raw Intuition + Awareness and you can stack whatever you use with an Anticipation. Beginning is best because that's when healers will want to be able to apply some DoTs to enemies or throw in a few Holy or Gravity so you want to give them as much time to do so as you can. An early Equilibrium so you can use another same pull if need be goes a long way. When one CD (e.g Rampart) is about to run out, you start the next one and you can weave in a Convalescence midway as well. The good thing about WAR is with all it's CD's being on a 2 min window, you can pretty much use them all on near every encounter if you spread them out. PLD's Sentinel and Bulwark for example are on 3m and the duration of the abilities is shorter as well. It's why I prefer WAR for dungeons even if I use PLD for 8 man content.

When you are about to start the next pull, take a quick glance at your defensive moves to see what you have and how long it will take the other's to come back. They decide how big you want to pull (and the competency of the other 3 players which is kind luck to be honest unless premade), so you can pace yourself accordingly. You might think I only have Rampart, but by the time it runs out Vengeance or Raw Intuition may be back

I think keeping rdm in melee range is probably a dps gain. Never use backstep, use dash on cooldown, 80/80 melee combo, and let autoattacks do the rest. Yeah, it's low damage, but it's sustained that you otherwise wouldn't have and pbaoes aren't common.

But then, I am not 70 on it yet.

studyguy

Vitriol seems like too strong a word. Just more like annoyance at the lack of foresight in her place vs everyone else's clear reason for being there. Someone put it earlier quite well, she's literally the NPC you're carrying in your party because the story forces you for this arc.

Baliis

I think keeping rdm in melee range is probably a dps gain. Never use backstep, use dash on cooldown, 80/80 melee combo, and let autoattacks do the rest. Yeah, it's low damage, but it's sustained that you otherwise wouldn't have and pbaoes aren't common.

But then, I am not 70 on it yet.

Displacement does damage so you want to keep it on CD as well for max DPS.

Haly

You do use Displacement on cooldown but it's paired with CaC so you stay within melee range.

I don't think anyone outright hates her. She's just bland as hell and doesn't really deserve the central role that she has.

ebil

Wow, I guess I should have done the ALC quests before. I did not expect this particular plot point to be resolved there. That was really good!

I didn't hate Lyse, but she didn't contribute much of anything to the story IMO. Which is disappointing as hell after how amazing the main story of Heavensward was and how awesome the WoL, Estinien, Alphinaud and Ysayle party are.

MikeBison

Been camping out ixion for about 6 hours on moogle whilst starting blacksmith and nothing. Could have been doing ex primal all night.

I am disgusting.

Alex

Lyse had a surprisingly mild character arc for someone so core to the situation. I feel like we learned more about Raubahn than we did her. Also, I know Raubahn is also very contextual to where the plot is but man he is making Ul'dah really overshadow the other nations. It's amusing how much I like him now when back in ARR I dreaded even seeing him on screen due to the awful original dub.

Anyway, I feel Alisaie was the champion of this expansion. It's funny, at first glance the Palom/Porom looking gig Alisaie and Alphinaud have going on make them seem like they'll be filler characters at best but they've been, IMO, the most developed and endearing characters in Final Fantasy in a long time.

Use the dash for DPS when you dont need the mobility. Also, make sure to always use it if it is up before using Manafication.

As for melee range consistently, Red Mage has extremely pathetic auto attack damage and you'll just drag additional attacks onto the actual melee. I assume the auto attack damage is as low as it is to discourage you from doing this, actually.

Squishy3

That's technically a 20% boost to passive GP regen.
it changes nothing in the grand scheme of things because of the way they changed unspoiled node timers you always have enough time to naturally regen to 600 GP between nodes and not use a cordial, it just makes you get there slightly faster

Haly

Yes I know but 20% looks big on paper so that was probably their thought process.

I just spam Cordials anyway.

it changes nothing in the grand scheme of things because of the way they changed unspoiled node timers you always have enough time to naturally regen to 600 GP between nodes and not use a cordial, it just makes you get there slightly faster

Even a little faster GP regeneration helps when you're fishing, at least.

duckroll

Lyse might seem like she does nothing in the game, but I think objectively, we need to look at how FFXIV is written as a narrative series.

The Plot of ARR:
It has been five years since the Calamity and Eorzea is still struggling to come to terms with picking up the pieces. The land is fractured with distrust and the Primals continue to stir as the Beast Tribes grow restless.

Until... you the Warrior of Light appear, and do what no other Echo user in the world has done before. You unite the Grand Companies again, the people rise behind you, Primals fall before you, and even the advancing Imperial Forces crumble before your almighty strength and willpower. Eorzea is now truly... A REALM REBORN!

The Plot of Heavensward:
It has been over a thousand years since the betrayal of Thordan and his Knights Twelve. Ishgard and Dravania have been waging a war without end. Man against Dragon, united under the banner of a false religion. As Nidhogg sings the rising chorus of the Dragonsong once more, the children of Thordan might be on their last legs.

Until... you the Warrior of Light travel into this land for the first time, and do what no other Dragoon or hero has done before. You broker peace between the Ishgardians and Dragonkind, you fight back against Nidhogg's brood, you expose the High Church for the fault it is, bring democracy to the people, slay the embodiment of the First King himself, and finally put a dramatic end to the Dragonsong by ending Nidhogg himself.

The Plot of Stormblood:
It has been over two decades since the lands of Ala Mhigo and Doma have been subjugated by the Empire. An entire generation has grown up not knowing what freedom looks like. Zenos has turned the native people against each other, and rules with an iron fist.

Until... you the Warrior of Light finally get off your ass and travel to the lands which have been hyped up since ARR. All obstacles vanish. All disillusion is shattered. Only hope remains. You travel to the Far East, and meet Hien, who gets off his ass as you help beat all the great tribes of the Steep, and goes "Yeah, I'm with her!" And thus Doma was freed. You return to Ala Mhigo, and proceed to kick everyone's ass, with Lyse standing beside you going "Yeah, I'm with her!" And thus Ala Mhigo was a nation once more.

LONG LIVE THE WARRIOR OF LIGHT!

Ruff

I'm finding it quite difficult to level up a Turbocharge (Edit: Thaumaturge) even in the early levels since you not able to move much at all in combat :( Even one of the early story instances for the class where you need to kill a few archers and break a pot had me die multiple times D; I wish they still had access to the cure spells.

edit: Wtf, Turbocharge? How did that even happen I'm not on mobile.

B.K.

I was thinking and I wonder why the Scions haven't given the Warrior of Light a linkshell yet. Everyone else has one and then has to tell the WoL what's going on. It would be easier if they had one. I wonder if they don't trust the WoL or if they like to talk a lot of shit about them behind their back.

Haly

Oh, another QoL feature we need. Telephone quest givers. Can even explain it in game via linkshells.

New MSQ quest? Alisaie rings you up on the scion linkshell and tells you to get your ass to Rising Stone.

(New Player Lvl.13) Wow, the Vita remote play in this game is unbelievably good. Crossing off a couple of quests right before sleeping is so great. It's been a couple days and I'm still killing squirrels and whatnot.

Lyse might seem like she does nothing in the game, but I think objectively, we need to look at how FFXIV is written as a narrative series.

My biggest beef with XIV's story is how much it goes out of its way to paint the Warrior of Light as the greatest, most powerful person on the planet. I don't need that kind of puff piece wish-fulfillment fantasy, thanks. I think it's gotten a little better since ARR at not relying so heavily on that, but it's still there.

Apoptomon

Oh, another QoL feature we need. Telephone quest givers. Can even explain it in game via linkshells.

New MSQ quest? Alisaie rings you up on the scion linkshell and tells you to get your ass to Rising Stone.

That already happens, but with Minfilia and "please return to the Waking Sands". What they really need to do is have a teleconference or something so that you can report in while still out in the field.
I'm aware that the in-universe justification is "but linkshells can be hacked!"

My biggest beef with XIV's story is how much it goes out of its way to paint the Warrior of Light as the greatest, most powerful person on the planet. I don't need that kind of puff piece wish-fulfillment fantasy, thanks. I think it's gotten a little better since ARR at not relying so heavily on that, but it's still there.

Warrior of light does sidetrack many character plots which makes the characters themselves feel like they accomplished nothing. It doesn't mean the characters sidetracked by WoL are bad though.

duckroll

Warrior of light does sidetrack many character plots which makes the characters themselves feel like they accomplished nothing. It doesn't mean the characters sidetracked by WoL are bad though.

It's the other way round actually. You're not sidetracking any character. Characters only exist to latch on to your accomplishments to benefit from them. It's the entire story of FFXIV in a nutshell. You go to a new place, you make new friends, and then you kick a whole lot of ass. Because your new friends are YOUR friends, you kicking a whole lot of ass means they get to take the credit, and hence change their own world, because as a blank slate character you have zero agency in the actual events of the world.

It's hilarious.

erawsd

The Plot of ARR:
It has been five years since the Calamity and Eorzea is still struggling to come to terms with picking up the pieces. The land is fractured with distrust and the Primals continue to stir as the Beast Tribes grow restless.

Until... you the Warrior of Light appear, and do what no other Echo user in the world has done before. You unite the Grand Companies again, the people rise behind you, Primals fall before you, and even the advancing Imperial Forces crumble before your almighty strength and willpower. Eorzea is now truly... A REALM REBORN!

The Plot of Heavensward:
It has been over a thousand years since the betrayal of Thordan and his Knights Twelve. Ishgard and Dravania have been waging a war without end. Man against Dragon, united under the banner of a false religion. As Nidhogg sings the rising chorus of the Dragonsong once more, the children of Thordan might be on their last legs.

Until... you the Warrior of Light travel into this land for the first time, and do what no other Dragoon or hero has done before. You broker peace between the Ishgardians and Dragonkind, you fight back against Nidhogg's brood, you expose the High Church for the fault it is, bring democracy to the people, slay the embodiment of the First King himself, and finally put a dramatic end to the Dragonsong by ending Nidhogg himself.

The Plot of Stormblood:
It has been over two decades since the lands of Ala Mhigo and Doma have been subjugated by the Empire. An entire generation has grown up not knowing what freedom looks like. Zenos has turned the native people against each other, and rules with an iron fist.

Until... you the Warrior of Light finally get off your ass and travel to the lands which have been hyped up since ARR. All obstacles vanish. All disillusion is shattered. Only hope remains. You travel to the Far East, and meet Hien, who gets off his ass as you help beat all the great tribes of the Steep, and goes "Yeah, I'm with her!" And thus Doma was freed. You return to Ala Mhigo, and proceed to kick everyone's ass, with Lyse standing beside you going "Yeah, I'm with her!" And thus Ala Mhigo was a nation once more.

Ehhh...
the others all do make meaningful contributions to your success though. Thats not really true of Lyse. Shes not a strategist/leader like Alphinaud and Raubahn. She doesnt have special knowledge or power like Estinian and Iceheart. She doesnt even get to shine as a fighter, Alisae has more of those moments.

Ehhh...
the others all do make meaningful contributions to your success though. Thats not really true of Lyse. Shes not a strategist/leader like Alphinaud and Raubahn. She doesnt have special knowledge or power like Estinian and Iceheart. She doesnt even get to shine as a fighter, Alisae has more of those moments.

Where were you in the stormblood scenes where she fights?

aceface

On Lyse:
I thought she did a lot. She led a team through that Empire Castrum, she led a team in Ala-Migho I believe, and maybe Doma castle too? So her contributions are co-equal with yours in those dungeons, even though they are off screen. She fought and defeated Forodola, who is ostensibly as strong as the WoL (although not as trained in the echo). Yeah when you fight Shinryu she gets the hell out of the way because it's dangerous for anyone without the echo to go after a primal. All the scions have always done that. I struggling to think of what Hien does that's better than her...the WoL even wins that goddamn tournament thing on the steppe which I was sure they were going to throw to Hien.

Displacement does damage so you want to keep it on CD as well for max DPS.

I tried to get autoattacks working consistently but it doesn't seem to want to work except in very specific circumstances, so I'm stuck with the "you are out of range" sound effect and message unless I want to be on top of the boss all the time for a very, VERY small dps increase at best.

Also the auto attacks are trash, but I sort of knew that already.

Apoptomon

Not defending it as good storytelling (arguably it is not), but the "the player is the most special, badass snowflake in the whole galaxy and defeated 3 evil overlords before their 21st birthday (oh and I guess Celebrity NPC was there too, not that they did anything more than exposit)" premise is moreso a hallmark of modern MMORPGs than something particular to FFXIV. Althoguh i think WoW and GW2 might place mroe emphasis on NPCs than on players, but I don'tr have a lot of experience with either of those.
Then there's how other players are treated - it is kind of oddly discongruous that the RP part isn't MM at all and that other (IRL) people only exist for (usually) optional content.

Top Bottom